PDA

View Full Version : Steelers vs. Bills Postgame Thoughts and Grades

DanRooney
08-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Quarterbacks
Ben Roethlisberger- A. Despite having the fluke interception, Ben threw for on 142 yards on 9 passes and drove the Steelers Bills territory pretty easily all three drives until two of them were killed by penalties. His touchdown pass was a bit late getting to Santonio, but Holmes made a nice adjustment and the ball fell right into his hands. I'm pretty sure its safe to say that Ben's going to have another big year. However, I was most impressed when Ben threw the ball out of bounds after scrambling which successfully ended our second drive. Smart play. :clap:
Byron Leftwich- C. I was actually impressed by Leftwich at first. I definitely agree with the fact he has a cannon on his arm. His first pass to Washington was a bullet but with our OL, he better learn how to release the ball quicker.
Dennis Dixon- C+ Did a pretty solid job at the helm. Hopefully one day he'll be half as good as Colt Brennan :yellowthumb:

Runningbacks
Dennis Dixon- A. Arian's must've had some major balls trying that bootleg QB sneak again. Only this team hes right because we got an athlete in at quarterback. It was a pretty nice run and our receivers did a nice job blocking to get him into the endzone.
Willie Parker- C-. Reminded me of the Willie from last year. Not running hard and getting stopped at the line of scrimmage. Only averaged 2.8 yards per carry and take out the one 7 yard and I wouldn't be surprised if the average was going backwards. I can't really put the full blame on him though, the OL did a bad job of creating any lanes and the playcalling was pretty vanilla. Everytime we set up for a running play, the Bills would have 8-9 in the box. Doesn't that tell you something Arians...
Rashard Mendenhall- C+. Pretty solid touchdown but the rookie wasn't running up the middle as good as I would have liked to have seen. Like Willie, it seemed like he was pussyfooting to the line.

Wide Receivers
Santonio Holmes A+. 2 catches for 53 yards? :cope: I think he'll be leading the league again in yards per catch. The thing that impressed me the most about this kid is that he managed to hold onto the ball both on his first catch, after getting drilled by McGee, and on his TD pass after their safety did a similar number. Looks like Ben found his new favorite target.
Hines Ward- A. Loved the 25 yard pass to Ward on the first drive when he ran right up the seam.
Nate Washington- B Surprised I actually saw him on the field! Made two really good catches when Leftwich was at QB. No drops :o
Limas Sweed- B-. Didn't see as much as of him as I would have liked but he did catch two short balls and make a nice block getting Dixon into the endzone
Dallas Baker- Finally I get to see this guy in action. Led our receivers with 57 yards on 3 catches. I hope he makes the team...

Offensive Line- C-. The first team OL last night looked very shaky. Ben was scrambling a bit more than hes use to...I mean a bit more like hes accustomed to, but still...Hartwig's hold blew our first drive and I believe it was Speath who committed the false start on the second. Colon made the hold on Ben's INT throw but seeing as how the pocket completely collapsed, I don't blame him for protecting our 100-million dollar man. Was Miller playing at all last night? Seemed pretty invisible to me. Still, we only allowed one sack through the night which is leaps and bounds better than last year.

Defense- D-. I really was disgusted with the first team on both of the Bill's drives. Lebeau needs to find a new way to cover receivers. The 11-yard cushion when the Bills are on a first a goal situation just boggles me. I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor was behind the field goal post on another team's 1st and 3. The only bright side here was Timmons, although Harrison still looks unblockable. Our run D really scares me. Maybe Aaron Smith is still getting the cobwebs out...

Special Teams
Return Units- B. We switch out so many kick returners I can't tell who's back there. Davis made a nice first return (I have no idea why he is even being considered an option though), Reid did a good job of not fumbling the ball, and Moore had an ok kick return (though his punt return was garbage). I'm guessing the frontrunners are Reid on kickoffs and Drummond on punts? Puts Baker in a bad position at receiver.
Coverage Units- D+. Surprised I didn't give them an F because of the return they allowed? Well yeah, the coverage was horrible on the return. If the Bills picked him up, Dookie could've returned that shiat to the house :lol: I will cut them some slack for the fumble recovery on our kickoff.

AZ_Steeler
08-15-2008, 04:05 PM
pussyfooting
That is probably the best word to describe Parker around the LS... that has bothered me from day 1, unless you give a hole a Mack truck could go through then he's good... otherwise, like you said he pussyfoots :lol:

steelcityrockers
08-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Quarterbacks
Dennis Dixon- C+ Did a pretty solid job at the helm. Hopefully one day he'll be half as good as Colt Brennan :yellowthumb:

What the hell makes Colt Brennan good? He has shiatty footwork, a below-average arm, and a screwy throwing motion. His accuray and decision making aren't anything to be marveled at either. He played in an offense that will ALWAYS make QB's look good. Dixon isn't a good QB at this point either, but at the very least has world's more potential then Brennan. Both have done nothing and are on equal footing in the NFL at this juncture.

Stairwayto7
08-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Are we ever going to get a shut down corner? Ike is up and down,

Iron City South
08-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Fat Casey was an embarassment ..... How did you like his new sideways stance that makes him look like an overweight water buffalo moving in slow-motion? The fat jolly old elf couldn't even get low enough to touch the ground in the "down" position. The Bills Center was single handedly toying with the fat guy the the #2 gap most of the 1st half.

So much for the theroy that Fat Casey is always double teamed ..eah?

steelcityrockers
08-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Yeah that is true ICS, I would honestly start Chris Hoke. He is explosive.

DanRooney
08-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Fat Casey was an embarassment ..... How did you like his new sideways stance that makes him look like an overweight water buffalo moving in slow-motion? The fat jolly old elf couldn't even get low enough to touch the ground in the "down" position. The Bills Center was single handedly toying with the fat guy the the #2 gap most of the 1st half.

Agreed. Hoke needs to start until Casey can prove he can handle being upfront without being dragged to the sideline

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Are we ever going to get a shut down corner? Ike is up and down,

Ike will be even better this year, I have all the confidence in the world in him. These vets don't play preseason like it's anything major to deal with so them getting beat or missing a tackle is not the worst thing. Still, you want them to begin getting sharp and ready to play regardless of the circumstances but I think he'll be fine once it counts.

Casey is paying the price for coming into camp and missing the first 2 weeks of drills so now he's playing catch up. We all knew he'd struggle this week in his first real action since coming back to the roster. give him a couple weeks to work himself back into playing form and then we'll see how he does. If he does struggle though it wouldn't surprise me to see Hoke get more playing time; as well he should.

SteelerSteve
08-16-2008, 01:59 PM
What the hell makes Colt Brennan good? He has shiatty footwork, a below-average arm, and a screwy throwing motion. His accuray and decision making aren't anything to be marveled at either. He played in an offense that will ALWAYS make QB's look good. Dixon isn't a good QB at this point either, but at the very least has world's more potential then Brennan. Both have done nothing and are on equal footing in the NFL at this juncture.
I agree neither of them have proven to be NFL QB's yet, of course their not they are rookies with just a couple of preseason games under their belt lol. Though I have to admit that what I have seen of Brennan has been pretty impressive and his arm actually looked decent and accurate. I have a gut feeling that he may end up being a decent qb.