PDA

View Full Version : starting defense couldn't tackle; starting offense spotty.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-14-2008, 09:59 PM
Coverage units looked really good tonight except for that disaster 95 yd return. I got that funny sick feeling in the pit of my stomach again when they whole ST unit just collapsed and got burnt

Leftwich had his problems; over throwing several targets both short and long plays. He didn't seem to be ansy in the pocket but you could definitely see the rust. He'll get better as he gets more reps with the group.

TImmons is really starting to come on; his motor doesn't stop and he's getting more and more comfortable in the defense. I like seeing him and Foote out there together, it's great experience.

the defense, ugh...they were getting torched. the bills marched up and down the field against our starters. the tackling was terrible. they played a lot of quick 3 step drops to avoid the pressure. tomlin was visibly pissed off and made them stay out there till they got a stop against the starters. the secondary just didn't play well tonight.

it's preseason so you can't expect them to be awesome; it's all vanilla schemes but still you want the guys to make the tackle when it's right in front of them.

Ben looked pretty sharp overall; the INT was tipped so it's not all his fault. he was careful with the ball and overall very accurate.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-14-2008, 10:04 PM
I thought the starting offense was fine except for the penalties....

BlitzburghRockCity
08-14-2008, 10:08 PM
they weren't very successful running the ball and the penalties were killer..that's what I meant by spotty. the passing game was pretty solid for the 2nd straight week so no complaints there.

Troyisabeast_43
08-14-2008, 10:09 PM
If this offensive line can protect Ben and allow him to do what he does and move around and make plays this offense is going to do some serious serious damage. Holmes and Ben really look like they have a good rapport going on. They could end up being a lethal combo this season.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-14-2008, 10:11 PM
they weren't very successful running the ball and the penalties were killer..that's what I meant by spotty. the passing game was pretty solid for the 2nd straight week so no complaints there.

Yea but Parker wasn't out there long and Mendenhall didn't get a ton of carries with the first unit......Sometimes it takes time for the running game to get going...So I'm not to worried....

BlitzburghRockCity
08-14-2008, 10:20 PM
Nah Im not too worried; preseason doesn't usually worry me THAT much unless everybody just totally stinks..LOL. I just don't like seeing our OL get stuffed at the point of attack again in the run game. I was really hoping to see hartwig and the OL really assert themselves in this game but neither the starters nor the backups played particularly well. The Bills are no slouch and they are a considerably tougher unit than what we faced against the eagles run defense so give them credit.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Nah Im not too worried; preseason doesn't usually worry me THAT much unless everybody just totally stinks..LOL. I just don't like seeing our OL get stuffed at the point of attack again in the run game. I was really hoping to see hartwig and the OL really assert themselves in this game but neither the starters nor the backups played particularly well. The Bills are no slouch and they are a considerably tougher unit than what we faced against the eagles run defense so give them credit.

I agree with you......Just saying I think come regular season we will see this OL run block their asses off.....I really don't think these guys really take the pre-season all that serious especially the vets who will make the team and have no worries about that....lol

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
08-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Coverage units looked really good tonight except for that disaster 95 yd return. I got that funny sick feeling in the pit of my stomach again when they whole ST unit just collapsed and got burnt

Leftwich had his problems; over throwing several targets both short and long plays. He didn't seem to be ansy in the pocket but you could definitely see the rust. He'll get better as he gets more reps with the group.

TImmons is really starting to come on; his motor doesn't stop and he's getting more and more comfortable in the defense. I like seeing him and Foote out there together, it's great experience.

the defense, ugh...they were getting torched. the bills marched up and down the field against our starters. the tackling was terrible. they played a lot of quick 3 step drops to avoid the pressure. tomlin was visibly pissed off and made them stay out there till they got a stop against the starters. the secondary just didn't play well tonight.

it's preseason so you can't expect them to be awesome; it's all vanilla schemes but still you want the guys to make the tackle when it's right in front of them.

Ben looked pretty sharp overall; the INT was tipped so it's not all his fault. he was careful with the ball and overall very accurate.

Good recap, i agree about that D making routine tackles....i can handle them moving the ball on us to a point...but man, those missed tackles and weak wrap-ups are hard to stomach. That's fundamental football and needs to be corrected quick,fast and in a hurry.

I think Roethlisberger to Holmes is going to be the next Manning to Harrison Duo..these guys got some sick chemistry building.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-14-2008, 10:39 PM
that's what drives me nuts about preseason; you can hear the vets talk about wanting to play well in preseason and wanting to win and all that but you damn well they just want to play and get off the field without getting hurt..LOL.

Tomlin definitely needs to work with the secondary and their tackling.. goodness, they were just getting torched and missed a boat load of tackles.

next week is really the week you want to see the starters play well because the final preseason game is mostly for reserves so next saturday I expect them to play more sound on both sides of the ball.

also this is a short week so the team probably has some tired legs too from training camp and then coming back to play tonight after last week.

DanRooney
08-15-2008, 12:58 AM
:willybs::willybs::willybs:

Are you kidding me? The offense? The penalties came from the OL which killed our drives. Ben played fantastic. The int was a fluke. It bounced off of a diving Bills hands and popped in the air.

Santonio rules

SteelersWoman
08-15-2008, 04:29 AM
Did Keyaron Fox play tonight? I didn't hear his name one time today (against the Eagles, it seemed like I heard his name constantly) and I didn't hear of him being injured...

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2008, 06:00 AM
Fox played pretty well against the eagles but didn't have any tackles against the Bills last night. I didn't see him out there but then again I wasn't looking too much for him either so I can't verify if he suited up. I would imagine he did though.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-15-2008, 09:47 AM
OL grade was a C- : They didnt seem to move anybody, protections broke down a bit more and ALOT of boneheaded penalties with OL/TE's

QB grade was a B- : Ben looked sharp and even threw a def sack/pick away. He has alot of talent and he is starting to learn that doing little things can negate HUGE mistakes. Like said before, his chemistry with Holmes is starting to look like a deadly combo.

Dixon looked damn good to me with or without the 4 and 1 play. VERY poised for a young dude. He made some nice throws (a few easy ones were dropped) and makes good/sound decisions.

Kinda hard to grade Byron seeing is how he was signed sunday and played thurs. His throw to Nate proves he still has that live arm with great accuracy. Other than that he looked like a guy who hasnt played ball in a while. More reps in the last week of camp and at SouthSide wil work wonders for him.

RBs grade C-: These guys live and die with the OL at this point. Parker limited carries and for a good reason. We know what he can do, its time to get Mende and Russell going.

Mende looked like any other back that has nowhere to run. A couple of nice carries but his 2.7 ypc says it all. He like everyone else needs blocking. I loved the call by mike/bruce to get him 5 striaght carries to get in the endzone. He ran with a purpose, but he still looks to be running with his pads a lil too high and by that 5th carry he was about to pass out

Russell looked to be the best out there last night. Breaking tackles everywhere and picking up all the yards he could.

TE/Wrs grade D+: Ward and Holmes look to be in midseason form. (no suprise) Spaeth showed why we drafted him with 2 great plays getting to the open zone, sitting down and making the play.

Miller was just so so in everything and the false start was costly to say the least.

Baker,Rucker,Sweed, Reid all looked like a bunch of guys who really arent sure what they are doing. Atleast Sweed and Rcker have an excuse. Im wandering how Willie Reid is at selling insurance, cuase i dont see the NFL in his future. He brings nothing to the table anymore. Rucker looked decent making a few plays as a nice big target, but he should have come down with that hail mary. Sweed is just thinking WAY too much, he needs to get a better grasp on this offense before he will be any kinda of contributor.

LatrobePA
08-15-2008, 10:42 AM
What happened to the beast Woodley?

Have we lost the ability to stop the run (I know we have on O)??

I know it's preseason but that game was a mess! Oline same ole crap!!

IMAGINE HOW DAMN GOOD THIS TEAM COULD BE IF WE HAD AN OLINE!!

steelerschick1220
08-15-2008, 11:55 AM
I think our offense is going to be pretty good if our oline just plays even halfway decent. Ben seems to be in tip top shape and I think he and Santonio are going to have an awesome year this season. I am hopeful that once the regular season starts they oline does play better.

Our D? I'm not that worried because it is only preseason, but I do not like hearing that they missed so many tackles. Hopefully they play a better game next Saturday night.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
08-15-2008, 12:00 PM
What happened to the beast Woodley?

Have we lost the ability to stop the run (I know we have on O)??

I know it's preseason but that game was a mess! Oline same ole crap!!

IMAGINE HOW DAMN GOOD THIS TEAM COULD BE IF WE HAD AN OLINE!!

Trust me you'll see alot more of Woodley once they start running some real defensive schemes.They are not showing any exotic blitz packages or anything during preseason ..so once the season starts you'll see Harrison and Woodley both making alot more plays. Harrison is just a freak at this point and getting good old fashion pushes,that's why your seeing him more than Woodley.The LB core is very strong...the secondary is still suspect at this point from what i've seen, Don't know if clark's 100%, If Deshea makes that big of difference,plus the missing of Troy..whatever the reason that unit is struggling.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Yeah the defensive schemes & blitz stuff will come once the season starts so not seeing the defense got a lot of pressure right now isn't too much of a worry...still you'd like see them get some penetration with the basic formations even in preseason. Wood & Silverback are going to be just beastly together.

steelcityrockers
08-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Dallas Baker actually had a 2 nice catches.

HUNT4SEVEN
08-16-2008, 09:33 PM
:willybs::willybs::willybs:

Are you kidding me? The offense? The penalties came from the OL which killed our drives. Ben played fantastic. The int was a fluke. It bounced off of a diving Bills hands and popped in the air.

Santonio rules
exactly the penalties killed our drives that's why i give the offense an c grade.