PDA

View Full Version : Steelers coach, teammates defend Anthony Smith

Koopa
08-13-2008, 02:31 AM
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin strongly condemned a recent story that he said characterized Anthony Smith as a thug because of the free safety's aggressive nature.

Ryan Clark, who is competing with Smith for the starting job at free safety, went a step further.

"Not to bring race into it, but is it because he is black that these acts are called thuggery?" Clark said. "Because a man has tattoos or may play a certain way, it doesn't make him a thug."

Smith became a hot-button issue last week when he collided with Hines Ward in practice and knocked the veteran wide receiver to the ground.

Smith's hits on wide receivers in practice have earned him past rebukes from his coaches and teammates. The Steelers, however, have rallied around the third-year man whose brashness on the field, not to mention a brash prediction he offered last season, have made him a convenient target for criticism.

Tomlin said at a news conference Wednesday that associating Smith with the word thug crossed the line.

Smith also took exception to it.

"I never mugged anybody or robbed anybody," he said. "I got a clean record so I don't know how I can be classified as a thug."

"You've never heard of Anthony Smith being in a bar brawl. You've never heard of him carrying a gun, things that you associate with thuggery," Clark said. "(Former NFL linebacker) Bill Romanowski spit in a man's face on the field, (hurt) one of his teammates to the point that he was sued and the word thuggery was never used."

Ward didn't say much last week after his encounter with Smith, but he clearly wasn't happy about getting hit after making a catch.

Smith, who will play Thursday against the Bills in Toronto after missing the Steelers' preseason opener, said he and Ward have talked and that the two are fine. He said the collision seemed worse than it appeared because of the sounds his and Ward's pads made when they hit.

"You're not supposed to touch Hines, we understand that, but if you had a chance to watch the tape (Smith) literally tapped him," Clark said. "Hines had one foot up, he did a Manu Ginobili flop, and when he was on the ground when you look at the picture, he was smiling."

Smith hasn't always made his teammates and coaches smile.

During his rookie season, he drew the wrath of defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau for high-stepping at the end of a play in which he had intercepted a pass. Last year, Smith made an ill-fated guarantee that the Steelers would beat the unbeaten New England Patriots.

He made enough mistakes in that 34-13 loss and in the games that followed that Smith eventually was replaced in the starting lineup by Tyrone Carter.

His hit on Ward seemed to offer more proof that he is too interested in making the big hit to start at free safety. When the criticism opened up Smith for what his coaches and teammates saw as an attack on his character, they came to his defense.

"He's not a thug," Tomlin said. "He's a young professional football player who is trying to be at his best who happens to play the game very physically. We understand that perception all of the time is not reality, but some things are written or said that are hurtful."

Smith said he didn't read the story that touched off such a strong reaction among Tomlin and his teammates.

"I just think it was an ignorant statement," Smith said. "To put me in that category, I don't think is right."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_582547.html

i hope clark dies a painful death for that statement :lol:

but it is stupid to call smith a thug, he just likes to hit hard, nothing wrong with that, and clark is a 100% correct, he is called a thug cause the color of his skin, and before reading the part about romanoski or wtfever, i kept thinking about lynch and he was never called a thug for his cheap hits...........

BlitzburghRockCity
08-13-2008, 07:06 AM
I was wondering when someone in the media was going to stick their foot in their mouth over Smith. Given what's happened in the last 8 months or so of his career it was bound to happen. I'm glad Tomlin addressed and put Collier in his place. I don't know that it was said with any type of malicious intent but still, it's good to see the players and coaches sticking together.

It remains to be seen if Smith ends contributing to this team in any more than a backup role; he's certainly got the talent but he's just got to play smarter.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Well, i can tell you ALL of the local media here in the burgh is siding against Tomlin on this one. Its kinda foolish really.Tomlin has to defend his guys and the media has to sell a story.

There is always a media scpae-goat on this team. The media usually keeps this shiat up until (and sometimes after) the player leaves.

Plaxico Burress- Media over hyped the fact that he was a quiet guy, who drove a HUGE truck and he was told he sticks out here like a sore thumb.

Kordell Stewart- Reports of him at Schenley Park (i wont even go there), his play, not being a real QB and so on.

And now Smith who really got bated into saying something 95% of players would say, ("If we come out and play our game the best we can, we feel we cant lose") then all the media had to do was publish/air just enough to make him sound like he was making a gaurantee. Say what you want about alot of atheletes now a days. But dont call someones actions "thuggery" for stuff that happens all the time. Esp. a guy who has not had a single off the field issue!! Just tasteless!

BlackGold4vr
08-13-2008, 11:22 AM
I still say that you take care of this on the playing field. Offensive players should take every opportunity to throw decleater blindside blocks on old Anthony until he gets the picture in high definition clarity. Some people can only learn the hard way. :yellowthumb:

It's only common sense that you save the big hits for your opponents and not your own teamates.

memphissteelergirl
08-13-2008, 11:41 AM
[QUOTE=Koopa;220947]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_582547.html

QUOTE]

Not cool, man....:nono:

LatrobePA
08-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Smith is going to be needed to lay some hits on some of the high power O's we'll see this year, he just needs to be smarter!!

dawgs
08-13-2008, 12:13 PM
I don't think he is a thug. I do think he is very stupid, but not a thug. I don't know if he's been in much trouble off the field, has he??

BlitzburghRockCity
08-13-2008, 12:43 PM
[QUOTE=Koopa;220947]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_582547.html

QUOTE]

He's just playing; in reference to Clark's statement about Manu Ginobili ;) Koopa is a big Spurs fan.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-13-2008, 12:57 PM
I don't think he is a thug. I do think he is very stupid, but not a thug. I don't know if he's been in much trouble off the field, has he??

ZERO that i know of. It was a dumb move to even come close to Ward (or any WR on your team) in a 7-on-7 non contact drill. But who knows, maybe its one of those deals where: you wrap, but dont take a player to the ground. Either way i hope for this teams sake, they can find a way to get Ant to play to his potential. He is a dynamic play maker when whe does play inside the system.

ejsteeler
08-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Well, as I said, I did not agree with Smith making the hit, but I cetainly do not think bad of him for it and definately not a thug! He will make up for it in game I'm sure. :cope:

Koopa
08-13-2008, 03:05 PM

QUOTE]

oh stfu, its obvious i'm joking

Koopa
08-13-2008, 03:06 PM
[QUOTE=memphissteelergirl;220985]

He's just playing; in reference to Clark's statement about Manu Ginobili ;) Koopa is a big Spurs fan.

good to see someone has common sense

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
08-13-2008, 03:51 PM
I actually can't believe all of this negative talk about Anthony Smith.I think Tomlin said it best when he said "He's a professional young football player who plays the game very physical." That's all that needs to be said..big deal he layed out a player at practice,I still think if it was Bloom or some scrub the whole deal wouldn't have been mentioned.This is football people..everyone was in pads and helmets.If the head coach doesn't have a problem with it, then that should tell you something right there.Anthony Smith is a young player trying to make the team and i think the media is going to mess with him all the way to the unemployment line.

ejsteeler
08-13-2008, 04:15 PM
I actually can't believe all of this negative talk about Anthony Smith.I think Tomlin said it best when he said "He's a professional young football player who plays the game very physical." That's all that needs to be said..big deal he layed out a player at practice,I still think if it was Bloom or some scrub the whole deal wouldn't have been mentioned.This is football people..everyone was in pads and helmets.If the head coach doesn't have a problem with it, then that should tell you something right there.Anthony Smith is a young player trying to make the team and i think the media is going to mess with him all the way to the unemployment line.

Well, you can't blow it off completely. Tomlin did have a problem with it but it has gotten blown out of proportion now.

steelerschick1220
08-13-2008, 05:36 PM
I don't think that Anthony is a thug. I just think that he has moments where he lacks common sense.

memphissteelergirl
08-13-2008, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=memphissteelergirl;220985]

oh stfu, its obvious i'm joking

Whatever...

dawgs
08-13-2008, 07:23 PM
ooooooooo

He's the guy who layed out ward in practice?? Ya that is a horrible move, If the best cheap shoter in the game calls u out(ward) you got problems. It was a thugish act, but does not mean he is a thug. just really, really, really dumb.

far-outdude
08-14-2008, 05:31 PM
"Not to bring race into it, but is it because he is black that these acts are called thuggery?" Clark said. This statement is a load of crap and shows that Clark is the raceist.

Koopa
08-14-2008, 05:36 PM
"Not to bring race into it, but is it because he is black that these acts are called thuggery?" Clark said. This statement is a load of crap and shows that Clark is the raceist.

why do white ppl ignore the obvious?? that writer is solely calling him a thug cause he is black, if it was troy that was knocking ppl out it would be troy is back on track, clark is 100% correct on his statement, the writer may not be doing it intentionally, but because smith is black, the first thing that comes to mind in describing his action is thug

BlitzburghRockCity
08-14-2008, 08:35 PM
ooooooooo

He's the guy who layed out ward in practice?? Ya that is a horrible move, If the best cheap shoter in the game calls u out(ward) you got problems. It was a thugish act, but does not mean he is a thug. just really, really, really dumb.

calling Ward a "cheap shoter" is pretty lame considering you have Winslow Jr on your team who's certainly not afraid to dish it out either. Let's not go overboard here; Ward doesn't dish out anymore than he can take and calling him a cheap shot artist is really kinda lame..you're just mad because he makes a habit of putting your players on their back :tt02:

I do agree though, it was quite dumb...regardless of who he hit.

dawgs
08-14-2008, 09:08 PM
wait, first you guys call winslow soft, now you say he does not shy away from contact?? john kerry fans??

winslow does not hit people from behind, I believe he did it once against the steelers to get back at the guy who just did it to him. steeler fans think ward is a great blocker and what not, But non steeler fans see him as a cheap shotter. Because when an offence player is not near a play or doing anything play related, and you just jack him, thats a cheap shot.

Stairwayto7
08-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Why don`t you try a browns board! Or did they toss you out? I think your mommys callings. Eat your chewables and go to bed.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

ooooooooo

Once again another example of your horsesh!t. Your always claiming to be here in peace, and to talk football, but your always trying to start something with your smartas$ comments. Grow up dude. Get a girlfriend or something. For someone who isn`t a Steelers fan, you sure do hang around enough.

far-outdude
08-15-2008, 02:52 AM
why do white ppl ignore the obvious?? that writer is solely calling him a thug cause he is black, if it was troy that was knocking ppl out it would be troy is back on track, clark is 100% correct on his statement, the writer may not be doing it intentionally, but because smith is black, the first thing that comes to mind in describing his action is thug
Well it is interesting what the word means to different generations. When I grew up it meant an Italian because of the mob. here are the proper definitions...
A cutthroat or ruffian; a hoodlum.
2. also Thug One of a band of professional assassins formerly active in northern India who worshiped Kali and offered their victims to her. noun a tough and violent man, esp. a criminal. No aspect of race in there. I think you are over sensitive, it just meant he was being a punk.

ejsteeler
08-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Only the racist themselves see race as a factor in everything.

dawgs
08-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Why don`t you try a browns board! Or did they toss you out? I think your mommys callings. Eat your chewables and go to bed.

[AutoMerged Post Below]

Once again another example of your horsesh!t. Your always claiming to be here in peace, and to talk football, but your always trying to start something with your smartas$ comments. Grow up dude. Get a girlfriend or something. For someone who isn`t a Steelers fan, you sure do hang around enough.

what was horse ****?? your telling me ward never cheap shot someone?? thats what he's know for. I'm not even bashing him, he plays the game all out and never stops.

No need for personal attacks. also I do go to browns forums, And Im on here alot because my job gives me alot of spare time. I get paid alot to do pretty much nothing.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2008, 03:07 PM
wait, first you guys call winslow soft, now you say he does not shy away from contact?? john kerry fans??

winslow does not hit people from behind, I believe he did it once against the steelers to get back at the guy who just did it to him. steeler fans think ward is a great blocker and what not, But non steeler fans see him as a cheap shotter. Because when an offence player is not near a play or doing anything play related, and you just jack him, thats a cheap shot.

Most non steeler fans don't see Ward as a cheap shot artist, that's just AFCN non steeler fans. Other fans who are objective see him as the best blocker in the league who's not afraid to take the big hit any more than he's afraid to dish it out. There's a fine line between being a cheap shot artist and being a tough, physical, fair player.

Stairwayto7
08-15-2008, 04:24 PM
what was horse shiat?? your telling me ward never cheap shot someone?? thats what he's know for. I'm not even bashing him, he plays the game all out and never stops.

No need for personal attacks. also I do go to browns forums, And Im on here alot because my job gives me alot of spare time. I get paid alot to do pretty much nothing.

I`ve never heard a announcer ever say anuything like Cheap Shot, I do hear all of them refer to Hines as Hard Nosed, Best Blocking WR, and Tough as Nails. Your biased opinion means little around here.
Dude its not the first time you mentioned how much $$ you make. That means nothing to us, besides you may live in a cardboard box for all we know, either way, big friggin deal.

dawgs
08-15-2008, 04:54 PM
you never heard steeler annoucers call ward a cheap shotter?? wow thats a shocker.

ward is a great blocker, But you always see him lay someone out who is not near the play. I consider that a cheap shot. players say it all the time about ward, that you need to know where he is at all times, because he has no problem taking u out.

Its funny how u guys argue this with me. But I don't expect steeler fans to see ward like that. no big deal.

far-outdude
08-15-2008, 10:09 PM
you never heard steeler annoucers call ward a cheap shotter?? wow thats a shocker.

ward is a great blocker, But you always see him lay someone out who is not near the play. I consider that a cheap shot. players say it all the time about ward, that you need to know where he is at all times, because he has no problem taking u out.

Its funny how u guys argue this with me. But I don't expect steeler fans to see ward like that. no big deal.I have never heard ANY announcer call him anything like a cheap "shotter". ( Which is not even a word by the way) Sounds like more of the Browns whining to me.

dawgs
08-15-2008, 10:56 PM
I have never heard ANY announcer call him anything like a cheap "shotter". ( Which is not even a word by the way) Sounds like more of the Browns whining to me.

thanks man, didn't know I played for the browns.

I was not complaining at all, just made a quick comment about having ward call out someone else on a cheap shot is funny. Then u guys started complaining that ward is a perfect little angel.

Its fine though, it is a steelers forum.

(real question) Why don't pittsburgh have a basketball team?? Would be pretty cool I think.

mo williamss baby.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2008, 11:10 PM
Ward is not perfect, nor is he an angel. He's become quite the ego maniac since winning the SBXL MVP. Ward takes his shots where he can get them; and we'll just leave it at that but he's not a cheap shot artist.

As far as a basketball team; they have the Panthers which is enough. The city has so many sports franchises that an NBA is not needed nor would it be all that popular IMO.

Anywho, as far as Anthony Smith goes...I think that's who this thread was about originally anyways :thinking: He's not going to have many chances left so he needs take advantage of everything he can this year..fortunately for Ward & Willie Reid, camp is almost over :rolleyes:

far-outdude
08-26-2008, 06:11 PM
thanks man, didn't know I played for the browns.

I was not complaining at all, just made a quick comment about having ward call out someone else on a cheap shot is funny. Then u guys started complaining that ward is a perfect little angel.

Its fine though, it is a steelers forum.

(real question) Why don't pittsburgh have a basketball team?? Would be pretty cool I think.

mo williamss baby.Because basketball sucks and the NBA can barely stay afloat.

Gettysburgh_Steel
08-26-2008, 07:57 PM
I assume that since ward is a cheap shot "artist" he must have a tremendous list of personal fouls called against him? I can't remember that being something that he is known for. What happens between the lines is in "real time". If you can show me the history of "Ward" being a cheap shot "artist",i may change my mind. How many personal fouls has he had since he has been with the "steel brethren?"I am curious now.

[AutoMerged Post Below]

[AutoMerged Post Below]

Gotta love it,the browns site is so interesting,not that i have ever been there or even care to visit.Makes ya wonder why they spend so much time on Steelers sites.