PDA

View Full Version : WR Depth or lack thereof?

Friday133
10-09-2006, 11:14 PM
i think one of the teams biggest problems is the WR position. with hines not being 100% and the loss of randel el, its starting to show. i don't think ben has a lot of confidence in cedric wilson or santonio holmes at this point. someone he did have some confidence with quincy morgan got cut, i think that as well is coming back to haunt the team.

Steelersfan
10-09-2006, 11:20 PM
Wilson is the one that bothers me the most. He really hasn't done anything yet this year. He didn't do anything last year either (played good in playoffs) come to think of it.

Friday133
10-09-2006, 11:23 PM
the confidence issue could be one of the reasons ben has been holding onto the ball so long, and also why he's forcing throws. maybe he feels he needs to make something happen because others won't.

Steelersfan
10-09-2006, 11:26 PM
When you look at our WR's you have to think about how long any of them have been playing together. Hines probably has more years than the others combined. Holmes is a rookie. Washington might as well be and Wilson is in his second year with us.

Friday133
10-09-2006, 11:27 PM
not a good sign for a team looking to repeat as champs IMO. add to the fact hines is not even close to 100%. the doesn't boad well for us.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2006, 11:28 PM
ARE wouldn't make a difference if he was here or not. The WR's aren't playing well but neither is Ben. It's a 2 way street. If one sucks, then the other one isn't going to be successful either, in terms of team accomplishments. Most of our WR's are young.

Holmes - Rookie
Reid - Rookie
Washington - might as well be in his 2nd year since he didnt play much before

Ward and Cedric need to step up their as does Ben. How much of it is attributed to Ben not getting them the ball is as much as them not catching when they do get their chance. I like our young players but it takes time to develop and it doesnt help when your QB is playing bad.

Steelersfan
10-09-2006, 11:31 PM
El would make a difference in our returns but not much as a WR.

Friday133
10-09-2006, 11:31 PM
i would have agreed with anyone regarding ARE prior to the season. that being said now that its a couple of weeks into the season i would disagree. ARE was a safety valvue for ben, someone he could look to when he got in trouble. he doesn't have that right now.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Ben has a safety valve, in Heath..but he's not utilizing him enough. Yes you're right ARE would be helping us out on PR, that's for sure, but as a WR, nope I don't think so. Ben has enough weapons around him to bail him out, he's just not seeing the field and making the decisions to get them the ball.

Friday133
10-09-2006, 11:38 PM
i disagree TG, i don't think he has a lot of weapons. if he did he would at least have one TD pass.

Steelersfan
10-09-2006, 11:40 PM
I don't think the WR's are getting open enough right now. That's why I keep saying I want Ben to bring the ball down and run more! Anything to stop taking the sacks and throwing the INT's.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2006, 11:41 PM
Right, this whole thing is as much about them as it is about Ben. It's also as much about the OL and the RB's as it is about Ben. We win and lose as a team. Yes Ben has made some real bone head throws but he's also been running for his life way to often.

Rolling him out more, some designed runs, anything to keep the defense honest is definately a good idea.

Friday133
10-09-2006, 11:45 PM
maybe you guys are right, maybe whiz needs to design a few plays to buy ben enough time to look downfield to make a play, or run for it. i still believe our WR's are not anywhere close to where they need to be.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2006, 11:55 PM
You're right, they are nowhere near where they need to be, no one on the offense is. Ben needs to make a bunch of nice safe short passes to start the game off, get himself into a rythmn and then work from there. This whole Run, Run, Pass, Punt scheme we keep trying just isn't working. It seems like they are limiting him to try and help him along slowly but in reality it's hampering him.

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-10-2006, 12:12 AM
ARE was useful but not 52 million useful,forget him he is water under the bridge. Right now the whole offense is playing BAD ! The line is not giving BEN time to find any target let alone a saftey valve. Bottom line is everyone on offense needs to step up !!

AZ_Steeler
10-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Bottom line is Ben is still struggling to get back in game shape and just doesn't have it right now! He is getting some protection but he his definitely very indecisive when it comes to where he wants to throw the ball. To much double pumping, half cocking of the arm... he needs to find his receiver and just wing it!

Ben is to good of a QB though to let this bring him down too much this year, he will get everything back in order I just hope it is before it's to late!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-10-2006, 06:46 PM
That's the key, how long will it take Ben to recover from being gunshy in the pocket, from trying to shy away from contact, from getting his arm strength back so that deep ball he threw on sunday is on target instead of getting intercepted.

I really think Holmes is going to play himself into Cedric's spot before the season is out. If he keeps progressing and getting better he'll be the number 2 or 3 guy on a regular basis.