PDA

View Full Version : special teams looked pretty good

BlitzburghRockCity
08-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Coverage units were pretty much on the money except for the last drive there with about 1 min to go when they punted short, took a good bounce but they allowed a nice return close to mid field.

Mendenhall and Moore were returning kicks tonight, both did well. Rashard really had a nice return in the first half.

Ernster needs to stay out there during kickoffs, he boomed one that went deep in the endzone after the last FG we made.

blackngold29
08-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Coverage had a few balks, but overall they're on the right pace. Returns had a pretty good game, although I would like to see some punt returns instead of fair catches. I like Ernster on kickoffs, but he was only OK on punts. Jeff Reed is amazing.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-09-2008, 05:56 AM
Yeah a few of those Ernster punts made me cringe and I started getting flashbacks of Gardocki's last year with us. A couple of times we at our own 20 and the punts landed around the 40 yd of the eagles :evilshake: This whole punting situation for 2008 worries me big time.

ST is usually a disaster in the preseason because you have so many guys trying to make the team and not all of them are used to playing on the coverage and kickoff units but overall I was pretty happy with how they swarmed to the ball.

SteelGlove
08-09-2008, 10:36 AM
In preseason most things look promising 'cos we are believers and we want Steelers to be great. At the end there is Cruel Reality called playoffs, Bowl and achievements.

Well, I STEEL BElieVE! :banana:

steelerschick1220
08-09-2008, 12:56 PM
I was happy to hear that two of our biggest problems, specail teams and the o line looked pretty well last night. Our special teams were horrid last year, so I don't see how they could have gotten any worse.

Stlrs4Life
08-09-2008, 01:06 PM
I too was impressed with our ST. Our return game looked OK.

HUNT4SEVEN
08-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Special Teams were much better than last year, our punter did an nice job, the coverage unit was good, it could of been better, but over all i was impressed with our special team, also the returners look pretty good also except bloom lol:lol::lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-11-2008, 03:00 PM
This year, knock on wood, we could really have a ST unit that contributes to the win instead of hindering it. Jeff Reed is back to his old reliable self, we've some some real good options in the return game between Moore & Drummond, plus we've got some ST guys that will hopefully step up like Humpal who could really give us a boost.

This punting situation should be pretty fun to watch; if there was ever a time when you want the offense to not convert on 3rd down, it's now :grin1:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2008, 06:04 AM
Well they DID look good last week and for the most part they did look good last night but that return was just killer. It was a total 180 right back to last season when players took the wrong angles, got bunched up, couldn't shed blocks, and missed tackles. I think we've got a good line on our return men with Drummond & Moore; and Mendenhall was back there too.

It's hard to judge ST units in preseason because you have so many players out there out of their element just learning how to play the position.

AZ_Steeler
08-15-2008, 11:39 AM
They need to learn how to cover a kick off... that is completely uncalled for! :cursin: That's like day 2 or 3 of pop warner!!

LatrobePA
08-15-2008, 11:52 AM
They need to learn how to cover a kick off... that is completely uncalled for! :cursin: That's like day 2 or 3 of pop warner!!

Yep what he said!! Very sad!