PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Batch: Broken Collarbone

blackngold29
08-08-2008, 10:20 PM
As of half-time Batch has a broken collarbone. Dixon would be next on the depth chart. Though Chad Pennington's name has been thrown into the mix now as well. Thought's on back-up?

BlitzburghRockCity
08-08-2008, 10:25 PM
I saw him walk off under his power and it didn't seem serious but apparently it is now. This is really not good and it's going to be a scramble to find a veteran backup. Pennington isn't going to come to Pittsburgh to be a backup. Don't be surprise if they consider BSP again.

blackngold29
08-08-2008, 10:39 PM
I agree, I don't really see Pennington fitting into the Steelers style of play. But I'm not so sure we should just go for Dixon right away, that's a lot of responsibility if he has to step in for Ben, especially for a rookie.

JoeThomas
08-08-2008, 10:39 PM
that hurts big big big time. hopefully that line comes together. if ben goes down, what do you think your record will be? (actually a honest question)

blackngold29
08-08-2008, 10:43 PM
that hurts big big big time. hopefully that line comes together. if ben goes down, what do you think your record will be? (actually a honest question)

It depends on when and if they explore other options before sticking Dixon in there. But if there is one player who the team's sucess depends on the most it is Ben. If Dixon has to play the whole season... well that's kind of scary.

K Train
08-08-2008, 10:44 PM
dennis dixon=baller

K Train
08-08-2008, 10:45 PM
I agree, I don't really see Pennington fitting into the Steelers style of play. But I'm not so sure we should just go for Dixon right away, that's a lot of responsibility if he has to step in for Ben, especially for a rookie.

ben did it

BlitzburghRockCity
08-08-2008, 10:46 PM
they won't let Dixon there by himself, they are on the phone right now guaranteed looking into options of who they can sign immediately to help out.

JoeThomas
08-08-2008, 10:50 PM
they won't let Dixon there by himself, they are on the phone right now guaranteed looking into options of who they can sign immediately to help out.

I agree. plus he is coming off a major knee injury. they will get another QB. maybe not pennington but i can see them going and getting a guy maybe released at the end of camp.

and i know ben did it, but he also had a great team around him and a ton of ability. not that dixon doesnt, but he doesnt have the same team around him.

SteelCityKid5
08-08-2008, 11:03 PM
I was watching ESPN's First Take this week. On the show they had Kordell Stewart as a guest. He has said he wants to play again. Anyone else like the idea of bringing Kordell back? I think he could be a good, solid veteran QB. Other 3 free agent options: Daunte Cullpepper, Byron Leftwhich, Kelly Holcomb? Anyone like?

dawgs
08-08-2008, 11:05 PM

browns will give u dorsey for , ummm ya we will just give u him.

JoeThomas
08-08-2008, 11:06 PM
I was watching ESPN's First Take this week. On the show they had Kordell Stewart as a guest. He has said he wants to play again. Anyone else like the idea of bringing Kordell back? I think he could be a good, solid veteran QB. Other 3 free agent options: Daunte Cullpepper, Byron Leftwhich, Kelly Holcomb? Anyone like?

holcomb retired, but i mean that doesnt mean much anymore. stewart has been gone too long, plus i think that ship has sailed in pitt a while ago. leftwich is a possibility. if batch is out for more then 4-6 weeks they have to sign someone.

K Train
08-08-2008, 11:13 PM
culpepper or leftwich would be interesting lol

SteelCityKid5
08-08-2008, 11:21 PM
i didnt know holcomb retires but hey i was just throwing some names out there. I say either leftwhich or culpepper maybe more culpepper because of his experience.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-08-2008, 11:36 PM

Maybe we can talk Tommy Gun out of retirement as trade bait? :lol:

Mike Potts was in there to finish off the game but depending on the prognosis for Batch they are most certainly looking for alternatives right now.

blackngold29
08-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Four to eight weeks is the current diagnosis.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-08-2008, 11:48 PM
4 weeks would put him ready for the season opener to atleast be the emergency QB but I would think they probably are feeling 6 weeks at best now. With literally ZERO experience behind Ben right now Im anxious to see what the coaches decide.

JoeThomas
08-08-2008, 11:52 PM
well take pennington off the list, he is the starter for the dolphins now, 2 years 11.5 million

MDSteel15
08-09-2008, 12:06 AM

Kordell :banana: :greenbounce2: :cope:

K Train
08-09-2008, 12:10 AM
kordell is an old man by now, that was quite a while ago lol

Black@Gold Forever32
08-09-2008, 12:14 AM
This is only important if Ben goes down...The Steelers should bring in another vet QB for insurance but its not like that vet QB will see any game action anyway.....Charlie will be back.....Nothing really to worry about....I hope no over reaction takes place...lol

BlitzburghNation
08-09-2008, 12:17 AM
Kordell :banana: :greenbounce2: :cope:

:haha:

steelcityrockers
08-09-2008, 12:32 AM
Didn't they bring in Aaron Brooks last year? Just a possibility. I would not mind a vet being signed. Batch will be gone for a bit too long not to have one imo. I really like Dennis Dixon, but he is a rookie who is cming off a major knee injury and who played in the spread offense. I know nothing of Mike Potts.

K Train
08-09-2008, 12:34 AM
mike potts is nothing thats why, tomlin brought him in cause hes his boy from william & mary

STEEL CITY TANK
08-09-2008, 12:51 AM
Culpepper.........

steelcityrockers
08-09-2008, 01:04 AM
Culpepper will be too expensive to have for only the first month or so of the season. Brooks they could get for the minimum and just cut him when he is no longer necessary. Charlie's health is always a concern. He is a frail QB. Constantly injured.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-09-2008, 07:00 AM
from foxsports.com

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Pittsburgh Steelers backup quarterback Charlie Batch broke his right collarbone in the preseason opener against the Philadelphia Eagles and is expected to miss four to six weeks.

Coach Mike Tomlin says the team hopes to sign a veteran to replace Batch, perhaps as soon as Saturday.
Tomlin said Batch was hurt on a broken play midway through the second quarter of the Steelers' 16-10 victory.

Batch scrambled for six yards off left tackle after running back Mewelde Moore didn't take a handoff. Batch lowered his shoulder and was hit on the play.

He remained in the game but left after handing off to Gary Russell on the next play with 6:13 left in the half.

steelersgal86
08-09-2008, 09:10 AM
wow....I didnt think he would be ready that soon:scratch:

DanRooney
08-09-2008, 09:14 AM
dennis dixon=baller

Dixon didn't look impressive at all yesterday. Checked down for all of his passes and didn't even do a good job at that. Bunch of 3 and outs with him at the helm :yellowthumb:.

We should've drafted Colt Brennan :stirpot:

SteelCityKid5
08-09-2008, 10:52 AM
no ill stick with dixon

Phenomenal TJ
08-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Have some faith in the rook.

I'd be happy to have a Miami player there <_<

BLEIER20
08-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Batch will be back! It's early still. Dixon and Potts didn't do that bad last night considering some 2nd stringers were on the front line and guys working to get a spot on the roster. So I'm quite sure they will be able to handle this schedule they have with no problem. Another Vet QB could be a nice addition to what they have of course, but they don't need to go fishing just yet! We have ALOT of WEAPONS this year! it looks good!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Dixon showed his rookie side last night; he had happy feet in the pocket, over threw check downs, hung the receivers out to get blasted, and scrambled right into pressure half the time. It's all part of growing into the QB role in the NFL.

The team will not go into the regular season with 2 rookies behind Ben unless they absolutely cannot find anybody else.

AZ_Steeler
08-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Didn't the Steelers sign that QB that played fro Boise St and beat OU in the Fiesta Bowl??? :scratch:

BLEIER20
08-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Who? Jared Zabransky? He went to the Texans.

manofsteel
08-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Dixon is not the answer right now at backup. He could be this is why they constantly are drafting late round QBs Charlie is getting old and expensive but it still hurts to know hes not there. As far as Pennington is concerned Im pretty sure he was already signed by the Dolphins yesterday

Black@Gold Forever32
08-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Byron Leftwich is expected to visit the Steelers today....

Quote: Byron Leftwich, a former starter for the Jacksonville Jaguars and Atlanta Falcons, is scheduled to arrive in Pittsburgh for a workout today and possibly sign with the Steelers. Atlanta released Leftwich, 28, in February

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08222/903126-66.stm

steelerschick1220
08-09-2008, 01:53 PM
I was so upset when I heard this news. We have got to sign a veteran guy to back up Ben. I am sure that Dixon will be a fine back up one day, but not now. We need someone unless we are going to wrap Ben in bubble wrap for the next three games. A veteran guy behind ben would bring us all peace of mind, I think.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-09-2008, 01:56 PM
I'm not to worried or concerned...I doubt Ben will get hurt...Sure there is a chance.....But losing Batch for some time isn't that big of a deal.....We're screwed anyway if Ben goes down......

manofsteel
08-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Ill take Byron Leftwich at backup to Ben any day over Dixon or Potts

blackngold29
08-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Ill take Byron Leftwich at backup to Ben any day over Dixon or Potts

Yeah, out of the names mentioned so far he has my vote.

Stlrs4Life
08-09-2008, 02:05 PM
No to Holcomb, or Culpepper. Leftwich seems like a good candidate.

Phenomenal TJ
08-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Let's give Terry Bradshaw a call ;)

JensK
08-09-2008, 04:03 PM
I say we bring in Brett Favre!

blackngold29
08-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Let's give Terry Bradshaw a call ;)

Or Tommy Gun.

Phenomenal TJ
08-09-2008, 04:07 PM
lol I think Maddox is still getting death threats for that pick in the Jaguars game a few years back.

steelerschick1220
08-09-2008, 04:14 PM
lol I think Maddox is still getting death threats for that pick in the Jaguars game a few years back.
Isn't that the game where he blamed it on the wind???? If that is it, that was one of the stupidest excuses I have ever heard.