PDA

View Full Version : MENDENHALL

terrible.towel43
08-08-2008, 07:41 PM
who saw his first NFL rush? He breaks tackles gained 7 yards, and then gets rocked, but the guy who hits him gets hurt! i love it. Willie also looking great 3 carries 20 yards.

STEEL CITY TANK
08-08-2008, 07:46 PM
GOOD RUNNING SO FAR

BlitzburghRockCity
08-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Yeah I saw it, he had a nice solid run, broke a tackle and took a wicked hit but held onto the ball. Im anxious to see him get a lot of work tonight.

seth_westover
08-08-2008, 07:48 PM
I loved what I saw on the first drive! the running game looked great! the line blocked very well! ben had a couple of great throws! I love the little hot read ben threw to holmes for the td! i expect great things from ben and holmes this year! i cant wait to see the defense!

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
nice special teams tackle by timmons too!

HUNT4SEVEN
08-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Yo props 2 the o-line 4 taking care of bizzness:tt02::cope::yellowthumb::banana:willie had 4 carries for 27 yards, mendenhall looks great, the 1st team defense did it's job with out troy an hamp, special teams looks better so far, here we go steelers here we go.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Rashard should get some real good work from here on out since Willie is out of the game now with the rest of the starters. Both he and Russel will get a chance to show what they have.

He's been in there on both Eagle kick offs too and had a nice return of 28 yds. So far so good for the rook...

Black@Gold Forever32
08-08-2008, 09:01 PM
You can see Rashard has that natural talent....All he needs is to get use to the NFL game and he will be a star....He looked solid tonight for his first NFL action...

blackngold29
08-08-2008, 09:56 PM
It would be cool if the Steelers could use Mendenhall and Parker randomly, like every few drives put Mendenhall in on first down and Parker in on third. That'll keep 'em guessing.

Does Mendenhall have a nickname yet? because I'm tired of typing his last name out. Any suggestions?

SteelCityKid5
08-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Nickname: "The Dark Knight" There was a video of him on NFL Network and they showed a picture of him and his brother when they were younger and it was halloween and he dressed up as batman its priceless. As for The Dark Knight himself, I like what I see. I think in years to come, he will be a great compliment to Fast Willie if not this year! He needs some work on turning on the jets and hitting the holes and he needs to tuck the ball he runs with the ball a little loosely. But hes a rookie in one preseason game. So far, so good! Anyone else see Willie Parkers dark visor? Might have been the lighting, I think its a dark visor. Either way pretty sweet.

stillers4me
08-08-2008, 10:45 PM
I call Mendenhall and Parker "Thunder and Lightening".

MDSteel15
08-08-2008, 11:12 PM
I call Mendenhall and Parker "Thunder and Lightening".

Too used....

The Flash and Bash Show???

Phenomenal TJ
08-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Chocolate Thunder and White Lightning. Wait, no. <_<. Sorry, We Are Marshall's playing in the background. ;)

Mendenhall is the future.

BLEIER20
08-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Mendenhall will be an asset to the Steeler offense for many years! Don't count out Russell either.

manofsteel
08-09-2008, 12:42 PM
The steelers run game in a whole looked really good. Did alot of running and I like it. As far as Mendenhall is concerned I thought He did pretty good He made guys miss breaks tackles and did a good job o f seeing the feild. I still wanna see him in some goal line action

steelerschick1220
08-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Well, from what I have heard all signs point to us being a pretty good team right now. I am really liking what I hear abour Mendenhall. Glad he did so well the first time out and I was glad to hear that Willie did pretty good as well.

JensK
08-09-2008, 01:13 PM
I didnt see to much of the game, but for god sake mendenhall. Keep those shoulderpads down! O.o

SteelerSal
08-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Did any of you hold your breath when Mendy fielded his first kickoff?
I know I did and all I was thinking was that he would get a season ending injury on the return.:eek1:
I'm not to crazy about having him play on the return team., that's what players like Drummond and Moore are for.IMO

terrible.towel43
08-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Yea Mendenhall shouldn't be the kick returner because he could easily get hurt. Save that for Drummond. he was good last night

USAFsteelerfan
08-09-2008, 08:39 PM
I saw it as well....Do yall think this is the rebirth of the Pony Express?

Koopa
08-09-2008, 08:42 PM
ppl worry WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY to much about injuries....... injuries are always gonna happen and there is nothing no one can do about it, so there is no point in living in fear about it, if mendenhall is good enough to make our special teams better then i'm all for having him return them

i missed that first run, it sucked i was watching tv with my friend who is a cowboys fan (r.w.318) and he kept changing it to hardknocks on hbo, so everytime he'd change it back we were on defense or commercial, i saw mendenhall run twice and once he danced to much and didn't do anything and another one he gained a nice 7 yards........... i don't like his number though lol

Iron City South
08-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Mendenhall will prove to be better than Parker by mid-season.

Mark it down .... he's already better, the only thing he's lacking is experience.

MaineofSteel
08-09-2008, 09:51 PM
I love his number ......

SteelerSal
08-09-2008, 09:56 PM
#33 would have been a great choice of number.:yellowthumb:

MaineofSteel
08-09-2008, 10:15 PM
As I live in Me. it's no surprise I didn't get to watch. The next best thing was NFL.com game day thing and it's ridiculous ........ in regards to "feeling" the action on the playing field. You watch a little football bounce back an forth on the screen ... kinda like NFL sponsored pong. However, they keep up incredibly well with the statistics ongoing throughout the game, so at least we weren't lost ...

I saw their mini-broadcast of Mendenhall's first carry .... holy crap is that kid rugged. Anyone else think "young public transportation" like I did. I mean before Jerome was a Steeler, playing Rams ball, kind of young man rugged.

He held on to that ball after a slashing 7 yard gain and bounced right back up to return to huddle, as the defender ( Oh ! What a huge hit!) is still on the ground trying to figure how a wall got put up sooooo fast.

The other player of most interest to me is LT. I was able to see him cover Philly receiver in the end zone and was on him like the shadow....... and the presence of mind ( at endzone's edge ) to roughly shove the receiver out:
( no 2 feet ) as the play was progressing. You don't cover that well or react that quickly w/o being very comfortable in your own "defensive" skin ....

Woodley and Timmons ...... yikes!!!!!!!...... :)MoS

Stairwayto7
08-09-2008, 10:22 PM

Mark it down .... he's already better, the only thing he's lacking is experience.

Not saying he won`t be, or isn`t already! But this is a good problem to have!

MaineofSteel
08-09-2008, 10:40 PM
SCKid5: Dark Knight is perfect, I really hope it sticks ....

[AutoMerged Post Below]
I don't think there will necessarily be a starter or 2nd by mid season....

Parker starts and for a quarter, quarter and a half you get FWP, slash and dash and make you miss once and pay for it with a 75 yard TD. Defense is constantly on their respective toes every moment in fear of his speed.

Enter the Dark Knight; rough and tumble, 225lbs. of "wow, here's your NFL" cut on a dime and give you nine cents change kinda guy, and every hit the defenders have to make is another 1/2 step for FWP later in the game because of the tired (overly exherted but not on FWP's dime !) defenders.

If we don't use them in tandem, alternating to each other's strength's, giving one another a breather, creating fresh legs throughout the entire game while confounding the defense with two radically different to prepare for running styles, I'll be shocked and disappointed in our lack of creative Offensive play calling

MoS

abejota88
08-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Having both Mend and FWP on the backfield will make us just great. As Maineofsteel just said, if we use them in tandem, we will have two pairs of strong, healthy and fresh legs throughout all 4 quarters of each game, all season long.
And there is still the possibility of the Pony Backfield... if we use it wisely, teams won`t know what to do when those two guys are outside on the field.
Can anyone imagine being an opposing DC, and you see the black and gold come to the field with... Big Ben, Mend, FWP, Heath, Ward and Santonio... all at the same time?... i guess i would just start crying.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-11-2008, 09:58 AM

Either way, like most here said, its nice problem to have. Im anxious to see a rested parker/mende in the 4th quarter. I cant imagine a worn down defense trying to keep with willie late in the game. IMO, it wont be until willie is in a contract year before we have to think about who is the better player/starter. Short of injury, i cant see Mende unseating him... but man they both looked pretty damn good! Once Mende gets his feet wet he is gonna be a beast!

Mark B.
08-11-2008, 07:31 PM
He looked pretty good, I loved seeing the other guy come out on the wrong end of the hit. He's gotta get the pads lower but we were all happy too see him in the black and gold.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-11-2008, 10:14 PM
When I saw he was about to get nailed I was sure he was going to fumble but he took the big shot and held onto the ball and that's what we need. Parker has some fumbling problems periodically so it's good to see Mendenhall out there mixing it up and holding onto the rock.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-12-2008, 09:43 AM
When I saw he was about to get nailed I was sure he was going to fumble but he took the big shot and held onto the ball and that's what we need. Parker has some fumbling problems periodically so it's good to see Mendenhall out there mixing it up and holding onto the rock.
Like siad in the previous post, Mendes pad level was way to high when he took that shot. Yeah he hung on and popped right up., but if he runs with more body lean he'll plow stright through any CB in the league.

I have replayed the game so many times to watch a few players. If you get a chance, watch when Mendenhall gets in space. He raises upright and when a tackler comes he braces for the hit, loses his feet and goes right down. Thats not what i expeced from him. Probley just first game jitters and trying to stay healthy thorugh preseason, but if anyone agrees/disagrees with what i saw let me know what you think.

SteelerSal
08-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Like siad in the previous post, Mendes pad level was way to high when he took that shot. Yeah he hung on and popped right up., but if he runs with more body lean he'll plow stright through any CB in the league.

I have replayed the game so many times to watch a few players. If you get a chance, watch when Mendenhall gets in space. He raises upright and when a tackler comes he braces for the hit, loses his feet and goes right down. Thats not what i expeced from him. Probley just first game jitters and trying to stay healthy thorugh preseason, but if anyone agrees/disagrees with what i saw let me know what you think.

I noticed that also. I am hoping it was, like you posted,"first game jitters". I also noticed that on his first couple of carries, he looked alittle timid hitting the holes.
This next game should be better in a sense that he now knows what to expect from other teams popping him.:yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-13-2008, 07:29 AM

He was doing that same thing in the drills when we were at camp last week; he was very timid and thinking way too much. As he gets more comfortable he'll start to just play rather than over thinking the situation; if he doesn't he's going to get killed so either way he'll learn real quick.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Just watching him tonight he's getting better but he still hits the holes tentatively at times and runs way to high when he goes into the pile. On the play before he scored you could see him get bounced around; fortunately he's big and strong enough to run over some people even standing up but he'll need to continue to work on lowering those pads and getting more power and being more decisive when he hits the hole.

He was totally exhausted after scoring that TD; he went over the bench and about fell into it..LOL