PDA

View Full Version : SMITH LEVELS WARD AT 8/6 P.M. PRACTICE

steelcitysfinestXL
08-06-2008, 10:04 PM
from steelcityinsider:

"With the first game of the 2008 preseason looming, there were very few players standing around on the sidelines Wednesday afternoon as the Pittsburgh Steelers practiced here at Saint Vincent College.

Everybody wants to be back on the field in time to play in the opener, but head coach Mike Tomlin ruled out safety Anthony Smith and tight end Cody Boyd.

Boyd, who has a shoulder injury, practiced in all of the non-contact drills, while Smith, who returned Wednesday for the first time in more than a week, jumped right back in where he left off – being a knucklehead.

Only this time, Smith wasn’t decking Willie Reid unnecessarily as he did on the opening day of training camp before suffering a groin injury. No, this time Smith leveled Hines Ward during a seven-on-seven drill.

As Ward lay on the ground, one of the coaches – I’m not sure who – yelled at Smith, “Are you out of your God damn mind?”

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau went to Smith as Ward finally got up, put his arm around the safety and tried to explain for what seems to be the 20th time why that stuff just can’t happen. But Smith apparently just doesn’t get it – and maybe he never will"

You kinda had to know this was gonna happen sooner or later. Im sure if it was the other way around (ward laying out Smith like he did Ed Reed) this would be a different story. I wasnt overly mad when it happened to Reid and im really not mad now. If Ward is ok then no harm done. I just hope they can bottle this kids aggression, if not i cant see him being on this team if these things keep happening

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
08-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Well in this kids defense we all know Hines can give some cheap shots with the best of them, so you never know what was going on leading up to that hit. I'm not saying it's cool to lay out Hines in a practice situation..but we don't know both sides of the story.Besides, it's hard to tell a guy who makes a living by laying the lumber to come out and only play 70%. If your coming across the middle your fair game. Shouldn't matter if it's Hines Ward or Dallas Baker.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Smith is just a maniac on the field who doesn't know when to let up when it comes to his mouth or his hitting. I'm all for using all your energy and anger and blasting the WR on game day, the more of that the better IMO..but in practice if you get the chance to lay out your teammate you better use your head and think; hey this guy needs to help us this season, maybe I should ease up a bit. It's one thing to be intense in practice, that's all well and good but you also have to be smart about it. I've liked Smith since we drafted him, I really thought he was going to turn into something special but the more you see him on the field the more you start to wonder if he's just going to fade off into the sunset after 2008.

This is yet another reason why Ryan Clark is the starting Safety on this team..Smith may hit harder but Clark is smarter.

Stlrs4Life
08-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Glad to hear Hines is OK. It would have been terrible to have him out for the season. Wonder what Hines said about the hit?

steelcitysfinestXL
08-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Well in this kids defense we all know Hines can give some cheap shots with the best of them, so you never know what was going on leading up to that hit. I'm not saying it's cool to lay out Hines in a practice situation..but we don't know both sides of the story.Besides, it's hard to tell a guy who makes a living by laying the lumber to come out and only play 70%. If your coming across the middle your fair game. Shouldn't matter if it's Hines Ward or Dallas Baker.

:plus1: Hines has been wearing his name in his helmet since his rookie year to signify that he was working to make the tem every camp, even as probowler. If thats how it is he cant be all that upset that this happened. I know you have franchise guys who arent expected to practice, drill, run like the back up players... but Hines has never been that way! I dont see this being any different. Maybe i'd change my tune if he was gonna miss part of the season due to this.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

Glad to hear Hines is OK. It would have been terrible to have him out for the season. Wonder what Hines said about the hit?

Correct me if im wrong *cough" *ktrain* But when this happend last season to Willie Reid, i remember Hines wasnt too pleased with Smith.

Mike Tomlin
08-06-2008, 10:45 PM
This is why he will be a terror on special teams this year. He won't have to worry about pass coverage just run down and hit people.

K Train
08-06-2008, 11:13 PM
first of all hines has been wearing his name on his helmet since 06....not since he was rookie. second, hines is a real dick in his own right taking jabs at everyone like hes better than them and i know hes got a halo around his head to all of you but listen to some of the **** he has said. Hines has throw his fair of maybe not cheap shots but blind hits over the years, hes not the cleanest player in the world...hes very smart about it but hes a dirty player alot of the time and if he flips out about this i will yet again lose respect for him because hes playing football and he is not the king of camp like hes off limits...its somewhat inspiring to see a safety on the field while troy continues to make alot of money on the sideline looking like a lion and getting yet another pro bowl selection...basicallt what im trying to say is if ward got jacked the **** up....good for him it comes with the game

Black@Gold Forever32
08-07-2008, 12:08 AM
first of all hines has been wearing his name on his helmet since 06....not since he was rookie. second, hines is a real dick in his own right taking jabs at everyone like hes better than them and i know hes got a halo around his head to all of you but listen to some of the shiat he has said. Hines has throw his fair of maybe not cheap shots but blind hits over the years, hes not the cleanest player in the world...hes very smart about it but hes a dirty player alot of the time and if he flips out about this i will yet again lose respect for him because hes playing football and he is not the king of camp like hes off limits...its somewhat inspiring to see a safety on the field while troy continues to make alot of money on the sideline looking like a lion and getting yet another pro bowl selection...basicallt what im trying to say is if ward got jacked the **** up....good for him it comes with the game

I agree with some of things you say about Ward...He is still my favorite player....But since winning the Super Bowl...He seems to have become a WR diva like some of the other WRs across the NFL.....

As for Smith.....Ward isn't dead or hurt serious so I have no problem with him laying out Ward...I'm sure Hines will have some kind of payback...lol....I just wish Smith would harness some of that aggression......I'm not one for taking away a players aggression....But he does need to control his aggression more at times...I really think thats what holds him back into becoming a star....Just my :2cents:.....

K Train
08-07-2008, 12:19 AM
theres just no way ward should be off limits like i know he thinks he is while guys like reid and baker get abused out there

SteelerSteve
08-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Well in this kids defense we all know Hines can give some cheap shots with the best of them, so you never know what was going on leading up to that hit. I'm not saying it's cool to lay out Hines in a practice situation..but we don't know both sides of the story.Besides, it's hard to tell a guy who makes a living by laying the lumber to come out and only play 70%. If your coming across the middle your fair game. Shouldn't matter if it's Hines Ward or Dallas Baker. Not cool? I think its effin badass! Smith is a monster lol

SteelersWoman
08-07-2008, 05:16 AM
Ward (and the coaches) didn't like it when he did it to Willie, and the coaches didn't like it when he did it to Hines--so it wasn't like it was special treatment for Hines.

Smith needs to hit guys that hard on OTHER teams during regular games. There's no need to "level" (and thus risk injuring) any of our own.

steelersgal86
08-07-2008, 06:32 AM
Hines Ward has been upset a couple times at safety Anthony Smith for some of the hard hits he delivers to other wide receivers at training camp.
Yesterday, the four-time Pro Bowl receiver was angry again at Smith, a third-year player from Syracuse, because the receiver he hammered on a pass over the middle was Ward.
"There's not much to say ... he hit me," Ward said. "You saw what happened. You guys saw it. There's really nothing for me to say."
Ward, who enters his 11th season with the Steelers, didn't have to say much. He had a stern look and was not smiling when he was asked about the play in which Smith delivered a jarring hit after a pass over the middle from Ben Roethlisberger, knocking Ward to the ground.
"I'm not going to comment about it," Ward said. "I've been hit before."
Last year at training camp, Ward was angry and began shouting at Smith on the sideline after a play in which the 6-foot-1, 200-pound Smith delivered a hard hit on wide receiver Willie Reid. Ward thought the hit was unnecessary because Reid was returning from a foot injury that ended his 2006 season.
Smith did it again last week when he hammered Reid after a pass reception in practice.
This time, though, the target was Ward. And he wasn't happy about it.
"I normally don't get hit like that during the preseason till preseason games," Ward said. "It is what it is. I'm not going to harp about itGlad he is okay...but come on, isn't that what happens in football :scratch: just getting him ready for what is coming :yesnod: maybe I would think differently if he was hurt :dunno: But to me it is all part of the game :yellowthumb:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200808/freed_steelers0806_3_500.jpg
Hines Ward is slow to get up after taking a hard hit from Anthony Smith yesterday at Saint Vincent. "I normally don't get hit like that during the preseason till preseason games," Ward said.

JensK
08-07-2008, 06:51 AM
from steelcityinsider:

As Ward lay on the ground, one of the coaches – I’m not sure who – yelled at Smith, “Are you out of your God damn mind?”

I don't know why, but this really made me laugh.

I wish smith would safe this for game day, and not using it on pissing off hines, even though the thought is surpricingly fun :P

SteelersWoman
08-07-2008, 09:30 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08213/900791-66.stm

By Gene Collier Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Maybe it was just the negative momentum that has been building within Steelers news cycles, but, when a high snap from center left the club's new punter in the maw of James Harrison here yesterday morning, you couldn't help but flash back to Harrison's rough justice with a Cleveland fan who'd come onto the field a couple of years ago.

In that case, perhaps you'll remember, Harrison grabbed the trespasser with both arms, turned him downside up and planted him like a sugar maple in the rich Ohio soil.

Fortunately for the Steelers' fast-fraying training-camp roster, the Pro Bowl linebacker released Paul Ernster playfully, a bored cat fooling with a dazed mouse, and the personnel department exhaled collectively.

The Steelers truly didn't need additional punter breakage yesterday, the day after Daniel Sepulveda discovered that his anterior cruciate ligament was no longer fully contiguous, nor did they need any bad news to pile on top of the physically unable to perform (PUP) status of All-Pros Casey Hampton and Troy Polamalu, joined by fellow PUPster Chris Kemoeatu, and most recently, the exit from yesterday's practice by second-round draft pick Limas Sweed via motorized cart.

I posted the above story, because Harrison handled it the way a teammate should've--I'm sure he would've done something different if it had been a true opponent. He showed that he HAD the guy--that was all that was necessary.

The coaches know what training camp is for, and if THEY felt it was the wrong thing to do, then I'm sure there was a reason--perhaps they knew it was nothing more than a revenge hit?

And who knows? Hines will get up even when he's hurt because he doesn't want to give the person the pleasure of knowin it. So we don't really know if he was hurt or not. Hopefully it won't be a nagging injury that will affect his whole season--he's great in the slot, and I always feel better when he's on the field.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-07-2008, 09:59 AM
It's one thing to take some licks in practice, to be intense and fight for your job like Smith is but you have to show some self control and realize that these guys are your teammates and they are going to help you win games this season..what good is lighting up a player on a practice field going to do???? How many times do coaches have to yell at you and players get pissed before you realize that you need to have controlled aggression and not just blast everybody you see just because you can. It doesn't matter if it's a bench warmer or Hines Ward; they are all on the same team.

BlackGold4vr
08-07-2008, 10:04 AM
I say let the players handle it. Hines has been known to throw a mean blindside block every now and then. Give Mr. Smith a little taste of his own medicine. A couple good decleaters and Smith might get the message! :yellowthumb:

LatrobePA
08-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Smith is a stupid idiot with NO brains!! Yea I love the dude blasting people on the opposite team, but man he has got to grow up!!

memphissteelergirl
08-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Smith is a stupid idiot with NO brains!! Yea I love the dude blasting people on the opposite team, but man he has got to grow up!!

Agreed that Smith is a great player...love the way he can mow wr's down, but it's long been my belief that while he's a great player, he's not a smart player. And in the NFL you have to be BOTH! Hopefully the coaches can get him to realize that he has to channel his agression better.

Just my :2cents:

LatrobePA
08-07-2008, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=steelersgal86;219624]Glad he is okay...but come on, isn't that what happens in football :scratch: just getting him ready for what is coming :yesnod: maybe I would think differently if he was hurt :dunno: But to me it is all part of the game :yellowthumb:

Non contact drill is exactly what it is, a game is diffrent you prepare yourself for a hit! This was just a cheap shot!!

ejsteeler
08-07-2008, 11:09 AM
It's plain and simple.....Professionalism.....Smith obviously does not have it. Practice is not the place for going all out and injurying your team mates. He will be short lived if he does not pull his head out of his arse. :evilshake:

SteelCityKid5
08-07-2008, 12:16 PM
come to think of it... i do and dont care maybe i do a little more than i dont because it was in practice, in training camp and a most likely an easy day because the stees are getting ready for the preseason game, now you dont want to hurt people esp if he is the starting WR. Then again this is football. If you come across the middle i think you should deliver a hit. Anthony Smith is trying still make a spot on this team hes trying to make a name for himself. Is he stupid? yeah a little bit because of his words vs the pats but then again if thats the way he felt then say it. Atleast he isnt scared to do what hes doing. iI'm sick of all of these players in the NFL being buddy buddy. I think the steelers defense needs someone to be a d i c k. Joey Porter played the way you would want someone on your defense. He went out there, hed intimidate you, make fun of you... he was one of the nastiest players in the NFL. Thats the way Lambert was and thats what makes a great team. Look at ray lewis earlier in his career, he went out there and intimidated the hell out of the opposing players. Now I know Smith isnt a ray lewis or Lambert but I like how hes out there trying to hit you and trying to make a statement. The think that makes him different from those 3 other guys is that well he hasnt really picked his spots out real well. I think if he's willing to learn the game more he could become a great player in the nfl. We needs more pricks on the Steelers D. It needs to be restored back to the way it was when Porter was here: the "Big Nasty" D.

PsychoWard
08-07-2008, 12:43 PM
I'm all for hard hits but come on!!! We got a couple more weeks of practice until the season begins, these guys are getting hurt without there teamates leveling them!! This is the last thing we need i mean come on your on the same team here grow up!

{STEEL MANIAC}
08-07-2008, 01:42 PM
from steelcityinsider:

"With the first game of the 2008 preseason looming, there were very few players standing around on the sidelines Wednesday afternoon as the Pittsburgh Steelers practiced here at Saint Vincent College.

Everybody wants to be back on the field in time to play in the opener, but head coach Mike Tomlin ruled out safety Anthony Smith and tight end Cody Boyd.

Boyd, who has a shoulder injury, practiced in all of the non-contact drills, while Smith, who returned Wednesday for the first time in more than a week, jumped right back in where he left off – being a knucklehead.

Only this time, Smith wasn’t decking Willie Reid unnecessarily as he did on the opening day of training camp before suffering a groin injury. No, this time Smith leveled Hines Ward during a seven-on-seven drill.

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau went to Smith as Ward finally got up, put his arm around the safety and tried to explain for what seems to be the 20th time why that stuff just can’t happen. But Smith apparently just doesn’t get it – and maybe he never will"

You kinda had to know this was gonna happen sooner or later. Im sure if it was the other way around (ward laying out Smith like he did Ed Reed) this would be a different story. I wasnt overly mad when it happened to Reid and im really not mad now. If Ward is ok then no harm done. I just hope they can bottle this kids aggression, if not i cant see him being on this team if these things keep happening

DOES HE HAVE TO INJURE OUR KEY PLAYERS IN PRACTICE?!

Ward upset with Anthony Smith after big hit over middle in practice:

Hines Ward is slow to get up after taking a hard hit from teammate Anthony Smith.

SEND THIS GUY TO THE BUNGLES!!!
I CAN'T STAND THIS GUY!!!

Hines Ward has been upset a couple times at safety Anthony Smith for some of the hard hits he delivers to other wide receivers at training camp.

Yesterday, the four-time Pro Bowl receiver was angry again at Smith, a third-year player from Syracuse, because the receiver he hammered on a pass over the middle was Ward.

"There's not much to say ... he hit me," Ward said. "You saw what happened. You guys saw it. There's really nothing for me to say.
"

Ward, who enters his 11th season with the Steelers, didn't have to say much. He had a stern look and was not smiling when he was asked about the play in which Smith delivered a jarring hit after a pass over the middle from Ben Roethlisberger, knocking Ward to the ground.

"I'm not going to comment about it," Ward said. "I've been hit before.
"

Last year at training camp, Ward was angry and began shouting at Smith on the sideline after a play in which the 6-foot-1, 200-pound Smith delivered a hard hit on wide receiver Willie Reid. Ward thought the hit was unnecessary because Reid was returning from a foot injury that ended his 2006 season.

Smith did it again last week when he hammered Reid after a pass reception in practice.

This time, though, the target was Ward. And he wasn't happy about it.

"I normally don't get hit like that during the preseason till preseason games," Ward said. "It is what it is. I'm not going to harp about it."

TampaSteelGirl
08-07-2008, 02:16 PM
he's just ready to play baby!! I like it! I don't want to see anyone get hurt but it's nice to see he's aggressive and ready to play!!! :yellowthumb:

Silverback 92
08-07-2008, 02:25 PM
if only he could unload on brady and the pats like that later this season

SteelfordWexler
08-07-2008, 03:36 PM
I think everyone is making a much bigger deal out of this than it is. Granted - it was poor judgement to light up a key player - but the coaches handled it.

I think Hines was actually trying to downplay it. "I don't have much to say.... I've been hit before.... it is what it is, I'm not going to harp on it."

K Train
08-07-2008, 10:53 PM
its bullshit....this stuff should happen more often, smith was doing his job

PsychoWard
08-07-2008, 11:09 PM
its bullshiat....this stuff should happen more often, smith was doing his job

if anything it is his job to make sure is teamates DON'T get hurt! Not to try to take his head off! save it for the other teams!!!! Matter of fact if i was on the team and saw that happen i would of cheap shotted the **** out of him and i would make sure he didn't get up!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-07-2008, 11:12 PM
if only he could unload on brady and the pats like that later this season

:plus1: Light up everybody all you want in the regular season, especially Brady and company :greengrin:

K Train
08-07-2008, 11:16 PM
if anything it is his job to make sure is teamates DON'T get hurt! Not to try to take his head off! save it for the other teams!!!! Matter of fact if i was on the team and saw that happen i would of cheap shotted the shiat out of him and i would make sure he didn't get up!

i heard it was a clean shot he just got jacked the **** up

PsychoWard
08-07-2008, 11:21 PM
i heard it was a clean shot he just got jacked the **** up

that could be but he could let up on is own teammate!!! everyone is ok with this now but what if ward did get hurt from this then it would be a different story! All i am saying is I love the way smith plays no doubt but he needs to learn that during camp it's same team out there I understand trying to make an impression but you need to know when enough is enough!!

terrible.towel43
08-08-2008, 12:35 AM
Thank god Hines is ok

TEEMONT
08-08-2008, 03:54 AM
When I saw this on the PG (since I can't log on here from base computers) I smiled. I see nothing wrong with Smith lighting Hines up.

I'm sure Hines did it when he was a younger player to guys in camp. Smith is trying to make a name for himself, and what better way than making it tough for the toughest player in the NFL to get back up?

Keep on laying them out A. Smith.

STEEL CITY TANK
08-08-2008, 04:54 AM
that could be but he could let up on is own teammate!!! everyone is ok with this now but what if ward did get hurt from this then it would be a different story! All i am saying is I love the way smith plays no doubt but he needs to learn that during camp it's same team out there I understand trying to make an impression but you need to know when enough is enough!!

I totally agree with you, It would be great to see smith light people up.......just not people who play for the Steelers.....but you gotta love the fact that he wants to lay people out :plus1:

steelcitysfinestXL
08-08-2008, 10:50 AM
steelcityinsider.com

"Smith was not available for comment, but his teammate and friend Ryan Clark said the perception did not match the reality.

“You mean Kill Shot?” said Clark, referring to Smith. “Really, he didn’t hit him all that hard. It just looked that way from the sideline. And to tell you the truth, Hines flopped a bit.

“Now, I know you’re not supposed to be hitting Hines, but he really didn’t hit him that hard. Y’all are looking to make a bigger story out of this than it is.”

What about the seeming lack of respect Smith showed LeBeau?

“It wasn’t anything like that,” Clark said. “When you’re in that situation, you just sit there and listen, and that’s what he did. If you talk, or try to defend yourself, it just becomes a bigger deal.
"

Smith has pretty much cemented himself in the position of the steelers media skape-goat for whatever reason. It all started when he "promissed a victory" against the Pats. Hopefully he can ignore the media BS, listen to Lebeau and continue to grow as a steeler. I'd hate to see him get cut!

floodcitygirl
08-08-2008, 10:54 AM
I don't know how it "really" was, but I'd have been PO'd if Hines had been hurt.

manofsteel
08-09-2008, 01:52 PM
A SMith is a punk, He runs his mouth and does stupid stuff like this. I like his animosity and his confidence but the kid needs to grow up and then be a star in the NFL