PDA

View Full Version : Hartwig is bigger and tougher than mahan

K Train
08-06-2008, 01:15 AM
Playing center for the Steelers is like singing tenor in Carnegie Hall -- not many get to do it but those who have are the best at what they do. For 31 seasons, from 1975-2006, the Steelers employed only three centers -- Mike Webster, Dermontti Dawson and Jeff Hartings -- players who combined to make 14 All-Pro teams and be selected to 18 Pro Bowls. The latest candidate is Justin Hartwig, signed as a free agent in the offseason after two injury-riddled seasons with the Carolina Panthers. He was brought in because the Steelers were dissatisfied with the performance of the center they signed to a five-year, $17 million contract after the 2006 season to replace the retired Hartings -- Sean Mahan. The coaches think Hartwig is bigger (6 feet 5, 310 pounds) and tougher than Mahan, and better equipped to handle the bigger nose tackles that gave the Steelers so many fits last season. "He's a bigger guy who has some strength and anchors pretty well," offensive line coach Larry Zierlein said. "He's a strong guy, a pretty physical guy."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08218/901915-66.stm

he better step the **** up i dont like hearing about mahan running with the first team oline all the time

BlitzburghRockCity
08-06-2008, 07:01 AM
By the time camp is over Hartwig will start to assert himself and take the job away from Mahan. Right now Mahan has the experience of playing with the team last year and being comfortable with the formations and his teammates. Hartwig will catch on.... he better!!!

Mark B.
08-06-2008, 08:18 PM
If Hartwig is better then let's pray he gets in there to play. Watching Mahan took a few years off of my life last year. I hope they tighten the line right on up.

K Train
08-06-2008, 08:33 PM
you know drafting a guy like mangold or even kalil sounds great when your in this situation...but to get mangold we wouldnt have gotten holmes and to get kalil we wouldnt have gotten woodley. i couldnt imagine life without holmes or woodley right now lol. What we need to do is stockpile first and second round picks next year...im talking like 9 or 10 of each...then we'd be in pretty good shape

SteelerSteve
08-06-2008, 08:36 PM
you know drafting a guy like mangold or even kalil sounds great when your in this situation...but to get mangold we wouldnt have gotten holmes and to get kalil we wouldnt have gotten woodley. i couldnt imagine life without holmes or woodley right now lol. What we need to do is stockpile first and second round picks next year...im talking like 9 or 10 of each...then we'd be in pretty good shape
Oh my God that is exactly what we need. Pick up that center out of oklahoma(cant remember his name) Get Taylor Mays out of USC! a few more badass linemen :stirpot:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-06-2008, 10:38 PM

and you're living in what dream world again? :lol: Really though, your point is valid..we've spent recent years stockpiling impact players like Holmes, Wood, Timmons, Taylor, Sweed, Mendenhall, etc...now it's time to really focus on the interior lines because at this point it's coming back to haunt us.