PDA

View Full Version : Steelers dismiss talk Browns should win AFC North

SteelersWoman
08-05-2008, 07:04 PM
http://yorkdispatch.inyork.com/yd/pennsylvania/ci_10079152

By ALAN ROBINSON AP Sports Writer

LATROBE, Pa.—Troy Polamalu still isn't practicing because of a sore hamstring, Daniel Sepulveda is all but certain to miss the season with a knee injury and Casey Hampton's weight training isn't nearly over.
Not much of a first week of training camp for the Pittsburgh Steelers, was it?

Then come this: The Steelers have averaged more than 10 wins per season since Heinz Field opened in 2001, yet they keep hearing how the Cleveland Browns—who have beaten them only twice since the 1990s—are ready to overhaul them in the AFC North.

The Browns missed the playoffs last season despite owning the same record (10-6) as the Steelers, mostly because two of those six Cleveland defeats were to Pittsburgh. The Steelers won the season opener 34-7 in Cleveland and the rematch in Pittsburgh 31-28.

No matter, the Browns are the chic pick in the division, now that they finally seem to have found a quarterback they can win with in Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn looks ready to take over if anything happens to Anderson. Even if recent history doesn't support that conjecture, given the Steelers haven't lost to Cleveland in nearly five years, or since a 33-13 defeat early in the 2003 season.

Only three Steelers players—Hines Ward, Deshea Townsend and Aaron Smith—were around when they lost to Cleveland in 1999 and 2000. No doubt the Steelers need a whole lot of convincing before they're ready to concede the Browns should win the AFC North, considering Cleveland hasn't won a division championship since 1989, when former Steelers coach Chuck Noll still was two years away from retirement.

"Any team can look good on paper. You can't really worry about that," said Hampton, who remained on the sidelines Saturday because of weight problems that have sidelined him since camp began last Sunday.
The Steelers never have much trouble getting motivated to play the Browns, despite their recent domination of them, and several players said all this Browns-are-the favorites talk adds incentive that's really not needed.

"We like being the underdog. When you're the underdog, you've got something to prove," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "We're happy where we're at, we're happy with our team."

Pittsburgh goes into the season after being one-and-done during its fifth playoff appearance in seven seasons, losing to Jacksonville not only in its final regular-season home game but also in a wild-card playoff game. The Steelers had never lost twice at home to a team in a single season, and they appear to be deriving more incentive from that than they are from the speculation Cleveland is better than they are.

"For me, I don't want anything less than a Super Bowl," wide receiver Hines Ward said of all the who's-better chatter. "Anything less than a Super Bowl is a bad year."

Defensive end Aaron Smith laughs at the suggestion the Browns' ascension coincides with a decline in the Steelers, an aging team on defense.
"Predictions don't mean anything, until you line them up," he said.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2008, 07:51 PM
"We like being the underdog. When you're the underdog, you've got something to prove," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "We're happy where we're at, we're happy with our team."

Damn straight, let the so called experts keep thinking the Browns are something special and ready to take over the AFCN. We'll be there just like every year to crush their hopes & dreams and bring them back to reality where they belong....behind US !!!! :cope:

dawgs
08-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Damn straight, let the so called experts keep thinking the Browns are something special and ready to take over the AFCN. We'll be there just like every year to crush their hopes & dreams and bring them back to reality where they belong....behind US !!!! :cope:

week 2. browns will be the underdogs. media can say what they want. but losing 8-9 stright times to one team is louder then words. Browns will always be the underdogs until they win. If steelers try to use the underdogs thing for themselfs is sad.

SteelersWoman
08-05-2008, 08:45 PM
week 2. browns will be the underdogs. media can say what they want. but losing 8-9 stright times to one team is louder then words. Browns will always be the underdogs until they win. If steelers try to use the underdogs thing for themselfs is sad.

Yes, the media can say what they want, and right now, they're sayin that it's the Browns. So we're the underdogs--which might not be "right", but it is what it is.

It's not "sad"--it's human nature (and competitiveness) that is gonna get our guys wanting to prove that the media's wrong.

SteelCityPride08
08-05-2008, 08:51 PM

"themselfs" is themselves

:brownssuck:

preview of what the steelers will do the clowns this year >> :buttkick:
and its that simple

dawgs
08-05-2008, 08:54 PM
well the browns have not beatin the steelers in 5-6 years. I think we have alittle bit more to prove. week 2, vegas will have steelers winning also.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

"themselfs" is themselves

preview of what the steelers will do the clowns this year >> :buttkick:
and its that simple

touch are butts?? lets keep this about football. thank you. I hope they do kick are players. That would be a 15 yarder. Thanks for the 1st down.

Stairwayto7
08-05-2008, 08:55 PM
[QUOTE=dawgs;219360]week 2. browns will be the underdogs. media can say what they want. but losing 8-9 stright times to one team is louder then words. Browns will always be the underdogs until they win. If steelers try to use the underdogs thing for themselfs is sad.[/Q\

Why is that sad? Because you read that your team will not win the division, so you use that as motivation? Who doesn`t how in the he11 is that sad? Dude please think about what your saying!

dawgs
08-05-2008, 09:01 PM
QUOTE=Clevestinks;219365]
week 2. browns will be the underdogs. media can say what they want. but losing 8-9 stright times to one team is louder then words. Browns will always be the underdogs until they win. If steelers try to use the underdogs thing for themselfs is sad.[/Q\

Why is that sad? Because you read that your team will not win the division, so you use that as motivation? Who doesn`t how in the he11 is that sad? Dude please think about what your saying!

Because the team that the media are saying will win the divison, is the same team you've beaten 30 stright times. Steelers can use it if they want. but the browns got the most to prove.

Stairwayto7
08-05-2008, 09:14 PM
QUOTE=Clevestinks;219365]

Because the team that the media are saying will win the divison, is the same team you've beaten 30 stright times. Steelers can use it if they want. but the browns got the most to prove.

Its about not getting the respect they deserve! Think about it!

Dude you might know your team, and you may know your football, but your such a hypocrite, and you never think before you speak. Your always trying to defend yourself by saying that your never starting anything you just here to talk about football, BS. Your immature , but its all good

livingthrudying
08-05-2008, 09:14 PM
until they win something you go with the stats not the Odds. i still dont understand why everyone considers Free agent aquisitions a for sure thing. There are just as many hot free agents that don't pan out cause Coaches and GM's still can't take into account that for a star to look like a star they usually have a strong supporting cast around them.

So the browns got some new players. That means nothing tillyou proove it game time. Right now its a bunch of "should be's and could be's and nothing more.

SteelfordWexler
08-05-2008, 09:29 PM
touch are butts?? lets keep this about football. thank you. I hope they do kick are players. That would be a 15 yarder. Thanks for the 1st down.

Touch are butts?
Kick are players?
Our you serious?

SteelCityPride08
08-05-2008, 10:08 PM
well the browns have not beatin the steelers in 5-6 years. I think we have alittle bit more to prove. week 2, vegas will have steelers winning also.

[AutoMerged Post Below]

hahahah what a dumb shiat

of course im keeping this about football, the steelers always kick the clowns ***, thats a given man haven't you realized that already?
and your welcome, our lead will be so big that we could kick yall 100 times and give you the 15 yarder each time sending you to our goal line giving you the hope that you'll get that TD but no worry. your offense still won't do shiat to threaten our victory, i know.........................the truth hurts, try not to cry yourself to sleep man i'd hate to see a grown *** man cry, but i can't even call you a grown *** man though cause you sound like a whiny little bitch to me, oh wait your a clowns fan!!!! OF COURSE your a little bitch, hahahaha i forgot i'm sorry

i show a icon of a person kicking someone in the *** and the first thing that comes out your mouth is "touch our butts" hahahahahah i mean what does that tell us?!
now we all know what your thinking about when your not thinking about your terrible football team

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2008, 10:19 PM
The difference between the Steelers and Browns not getting the respect from the media is this.

Steelers: every year the media says we need to rebuild, we've hit our peek, we don't have the depth, we don't do enough in the draft or in free agency, the other teams have caught up to us :blah: and every year we keep on making the playoffs, being competitive, watching our young guys step up and the older guys continue to play at a high level.

Browns: up until the last 2 years; every year they say the Browns don't have what it takes, no quality coaching, players out of control, too many injuries, under achieving, don't have the horses on defense, no quality QB play etc...and every year you guys prove them right time and time again. Now last year they say you guys are poised to make the playoffs, poised to beat the Steelers, ready to go to the next level and what happens; we beat you again and again and again.

Now this year it's the same old song and dance; the Steelers are getting old, they don't do as much as other teams in free agency, and yet here we sit after a solid draft last year and what looks to potentially be a great one this year and nothing has changed....the media still likes everybody but us and we're quite happy to play that underdog role and keep on kickin ***!

25MVPKing
08-05-2008, 10:20 PM
I can only hope this year's Browns games go like that first one from last season. That was just so sweet.

Stlrs4Life
08-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Defensive end Aaron Smith laughs at the suggestion the Browns' ascension coincides with a decline in the Steelers, an aging team on defense.

That's good stuff right there. So true.

SteelerSteve
08-06-2008, 12:30 AM
[QUOTE=dawgs;219363]well the browns have not beatin the steelers in 5-6 years. I think we have alittle bit more to prove. week 2, vegas will have steelers winning also.
[QUOTE]
Well Dawgs, Who knows whos gonna be the vegas bet, but what the media says is what most people read and most magazines and sports shows think that both will go 10-6 with the browns winning the division, so if the media keeps telling them that they are underdogs then thats how the players are going to take it. Personally, I dont think it will make a difference, Steelers will win convincingly either way:2cents:

dawgs
08-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Its about not getting the respect they deserve! Think about it!

Dude you might know your team, and you may know your football, but your such a hypocrite, and you never think before you speak. Your always trying to defend yourself by saying that your never starting anything you just here to talk about football, BS. Your immature , but its all good

immature is like running up to someone, yelling bobbies then run away. (which is funny)

week 2 means SOOOO much more to the browns then the steelers. Because week 1 is against dallas who is a fav to win the superbowl. If we lose that game we can start out 0-2. Plus the fact browns have not beat the steelers in so long.

Also the first question every new browns player is asked '"what do you think about the steelers" they know right away what those 2 games mean.

plus wait!!!!!! lets back this up. the last 5 years browns have been the underdog, AND THEY LOSE. ok steelers are the underdog. lets go with that. I agree u you guys. I'm a flip floper.

obama for president.:clap:

[AutoMerged Post Below]

I can only hope this year's Browns games go like that first one from last season. That was just so sweet.

so your not a football fan? closer games are alot better. But don't count on that again. charlie frye is long gone thank god.

[AutoMerged Post Below]

That's good stuff right there. So true.

Aaron smith is still on your team? have not heard about that guy in some time.

the last part scares me. ''Predictions don't mean anything, until you line them up''. line us up??? ok hitler. then he goes on to PREDICT they would win, lol.

ejsteeler
08-06-2008, 12:52 PM
:popcorn:

steelcitysfinestXL
08-06-2008, 01:04 PM
I read/heard somewhere that there are only 3 steelers on this years roster that have ever lost to the browns. Townsend, Aaron Smith and Big Snack i believe! Thats kinda crazy for CLE being a divisional foe!

terrible.towel43
08-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Browns suck. steelers rock. It's that simple

ejsteeler
08-06-2008, 02:34 PM
I read/heard somewhere that there are only 3 steelers on this years roster that have ever lost to the browns. Townsend, Aaron Smith and Big Snack i believe! Thats kinda crazy for CLE being a divisional foe!

:lol: It was at the begining of this thread and it was Ward, Townsend and Smith. :lol:

SteelCityMan786
08-06-2008, 04:02 PM

Tell the experts once the Browns actually beat us, then we'll talk. Until then the Clowns will continue to be the *** of all jokes.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-06-2008, 04:55 PM
:lol: It was at the begining of this thread and it was Ward, Townsend and Smith. :lol:

LOL, dont mind me... thats what i get for not reading the enitre post again!!:clap:

Stairwayto7
08-06-2008, 06:44 PM
I live in NE Ohio, let me tell you, I`m amongst brownies fans everyday, we are thier Superbowl, thats one of thier biggest problems, regardless of our record, they think beating us gets them a Lombardi. The closet brownies get to a real Lombardi is 200 mile SE of here

SteelersWoman
08-06-2008, 07:32 PM
so your not a football fan? closer games are alot better.

So I take it you wouldn't enjoy beating us that badly? Now that's funny :lol:

the last part scares me. ''Predictions don't mean anything, until you line them up''. line us up??? ok hitler. then he goes on to PREDICT they would win, lol.

I was wondering if you'd mind pointing out Aaron's win prediction in that story, because I couldn't find it.

And you weren't aware that "lining them up" is what they DO in football?

SteelerSteve
08-06-2008, 08:34 PM
So I take it you wouldn't enjoy beating us that badly? Now that's funny :lol:

I was wondering if you'd mind pointing out Aaron's win prediction in that story, because I couldn't find it.

And you weren't aware that "lining them up" is what they DO in football? lol Yeah, I would way rather watch a close Steelers/Browns game then seeing the steelers win 42-0:hilarious: NOT

dawgs
08-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Aaron should say ''when we line up" not line THEM up. IDK just found it odd.

Beating the steelers means alot to browns fans for common since reasons.

1. in same divison.

2. rivals.

3. Have not beaten steelers in so long.

4. gotta listen to steeler fans talk trash, so its time to dish it back.

So you can't really blame browns fans for thinking so much about this matchup.

Stairwayto7
08-06-2008, 09:21 PM

1. in same divison.

2. rivals.

Wrong again dude! brownie fans talk more trash. I have great friends that admit brownie fans go over board, just to be let down year after year.
Steelers fans have stats to back up any trash that is spoken. Stats, we have them. Cleveland fans have no hope, so they leave it all to thier sports teams. Lets not forget that.
1. Indians were going to win it after the season they had last year. No last place.
2. Cavs were going to win it after the season they had last year, No
3. OSU won`t go there.
4. Now the brownies more false hope after a little light last year.

If you don`t like Steelers trash talk, why do you come to a Steelers site? Why not a NFL site? or a brownies site? You keep pointing out how bad the Steelers fans are, but you keep coming back! We didin`t go looking for you! we were just here hanging out talking about our favorite 5x Superbowl winner.

When you get out of high school, let us know we`ll take you to a game in Pittsburgh!

SteelerSteve
08-06-2008, 09:28 PM

1. in same divison.

2. rivals.

No I cant blame them for thinking alot about this game, and Steelers fans do too mostly because of the media not giving the steelers the respect they deserve so yeah, we want to see them go out and prove em wrong. The rivalry isn't really one right now, Browns have made it a little more interesting since last season, but they have won a grand total of twice against us since the 90's. So it seems more like the Browns are the Steelers unwanted child that we abuse badly. BTW dont think that we dont want you here, its fun going back and forth with another teams fan.

Mark B.
08-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Bring on the Browns. I am really getting tired of all the rah rah bs about cleveland. Besides a few real bright spots like K2, Joe Thomas, Braylon Edwards, what else do they really have? Unless they can crap out a secondary the Steelers and the bungles will carve them up real nice. If Derek Anderson is a fluke do you really believe that Brady Quinn can put up? I seem to remember the scoop on him was that he couldn't win the big games at Notre Dame. IN THE AFCN ALL THE GAMES ARE BIG GAMES!

SteelerSteve
08-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Bring on the Browns. I am really getting tired of all the rah rah bs about cleveland. Besides a few real bright spots like K2, Joe Thomas, Braylon Edwards, what else do they really have? Unless they can crap out a secondary the Steelers and the bungles will carve them up real nice. If Derek Anderson is a fluke do you really believe that Brady Quinn can put up? I seem to remember the scoop on him was that he couldn't win the big games at Notre Dame. IN THE AFCN ALL THE GAMES ARE BIG GAMES! Yeah, but it obviously wasn't just him that the Irish lost in big games lol.

Stairwayto7
08-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Bring on the Browns. I am really getting tired of all the rah rah bs about cleveland. Besides a few real bright spots like K2, Joe Thomas, Braylon Edwards, what else do they really have? Unless they can crap out a secondary the Steelers and the bungles will carve them up real nice. If Derek Anderson is a fluke do you really believe that Brady Quinn can put up? I seem to remember the scoop on him was that he couldn't win the big games at Notre Dame. IN THE AFCN ALL THE GAMES ARE BIG GAMES!

Amen brother~

steelcitysfinestXL
08-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Yeah i have to say Quinn is a beast and i think he will equate to a really good NFL qb. Atheletic, strong arm, pretty good decision making and a will to win. I hate him and Notre Dame, but i haveto give him props on being a pretty good qb. Im not sure why the Browns didnt have an open competition at Qb this camp??? Look at Rivers and Brees in Rivers 2nd season. The Bolts were smart: they realized the team they had and put in the young QB and delt the rising vet. They have been a great team ever since. I would think if the browns go into the bye a couple games under .500 Romeo is gonna pull the trigger on Brayd Quinn... i i dont blame him!

[AutoMerged Post Below]
Yeah Quinn did lose every bowl game he was in, but they really havent had a strong program since the let go of Ty Willingham in favor of "the great"Charlie Weis. Look at what happened last year with Claussen (spelling) at the helm. I hate to say it but IMO Quinn is gonna be a pretty good QB.

SteelerSteve
08-07-2008, 12:16 AM
Yeah i have to say Quinn is a beast and i think he will equate to a really good NFL qb. Atheletic, strong arm, pretty good decision making and a will to win. I hate him and Notre Dame, but i haveto give him props on being a pretty good qb. Im not sure why the Browns didnt have an open competition at Qb this camp??? Look at Rivers and Brees in Rivers 2nd season. The Bolts were smart: they realized the team they had and put in the young QB and delt the rising vet. They have been a great team ever since. I would think if the browns go into the bye a couple games under .500 Romeo is gonna pull the trigger on Brayd Quinn... i i dont blame him!

[AutoMerged Post Below]
Yeah Quinn did lose every bowl game he was in, but they really havent had a strong program since the let go of Ty Willingham in favor of "the great"Charlie Weis. Look at what happened last year with Claussen (spelling) at the helm. I hate to say it but IMO Quinn is gonna be a pretty good QB. Yeah, I know I give Dawgs alot of **** about quinn, but I'm drunk right now so I'll just admoit it, he has looked pretty good in what little preseason action and **** I saw him last year. Though I think he has a decent arm he isn't all that strong of an arm. I think he will be okay ough, Dawgs isn't all that bad.

Steelerlyn
08-07-2008, 12:31 AM
In order to win the division don't they have to beat us twice?

that ain't gonna happen!~

SteelerSteve
08-07-2008, 12:36 AM
In order to win the division don't they have to beat us twice?

that ain't gonna happen!~
Of course they do beating us once will be hard enough though.

SteelCityKid5
08-07-2008, 11:42 AM
even if..... EVEN IF... the browns beat us, seeing that they wont and i mean wont beat us twice this year it would be 1 victory in 5 years.... how can you brag about that? Woooo 1 time in five years... Im a penn state fan and we beat ohio state what 3 years ago, there really wasnt that much to brag about i mean yeah we beat them but theyve owned us ever since being in the big ten... Now thats all speculation even if they do beat us, we own the browns and ill take Big Bens stats in OHIO what is he like 4-0 or 6-0 in ohio... so seeing that they wont beat us at home i still dont think they can beat us when they are at home so yeah i still like the steelers to sweep them this year. I'm gonna add the point that people said we sucked last year. Yeah it wasnt a great year because we won the games we werent suppose to win and we lost most games we were suppose to win... with that being said every game on this schedule is a BIG game so i think you will see the best of the steelers this year. They wont need to be fired up because every team they play is a big game. And trust me as a Steeler fan, I know that when the Steelers backs are against the wall (most people picking the browns in the division, if our o-line plays well, how will our "old" defense be this year) they play great football. I say bring on the toughest schedule.

dawgs
08-07-2008, 01:59 PM

the whole OL dude. don't forget them. Plus sean jones, wimbley, rogers, jackson, lewis, anderson(until he proves other wise. still had 29TDs) stallworth(I still don't know why u guys discount him, great speed, good hands, if healthy he is a pretty darn good player, and He's healthy.) eric wright.

Browns fans are the ultimate trash talkers which is weird because we have not won is a very long time. just die hart fans. But No matter what browns fans say, all steeler fans have to say is we beat you guys 8-9 stright times. we really want that to stop, only way to do that, is win.

Its going to be a great game, But browns can't look ahead, they got dallas week 1.