PDA

View Full Version : Handling Hampton..***Update 8/10 - Hampton back with team!***

SteelfordWexler
08-05-2008, 01:38 PM
http://http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_581132.html?source=rss&feed=9[/URL]

So is Tomlin's handling of Hampton, which hasn't yet caused the still-massive nose tackle to regret his offseason or doubt what he'll contribute beginning Sept. 7.

"I just work here, man," Hampton said. "He's the boss man, so I'm going to do whatever he says, get right and get ready to help my team win."

Now would seem an appropriate time to let Hampton begin doing so in a helmet and pads.

Tomlin's point has been made.

Belaboring it isn't in anyone's best interest, especially the Steelers'.

Prisuta implies that this is about Tomlin showing who's boss. Although that isn't a bad idea - I think there is more to this story. At Hampton's age and girth - taking most of camp to just condition is probably a great idea. He doesn't need the wear and tear. The reports from camp don't exactly make it sound like he's in fat camp. I think this is a little bit of the Strahan treatment - only he doesn't need to hold out to get it. Michael Strahan sat most of camp last year and had a great season. Of course - he was in better shape than Big Snack, but the lesson applies.

Tomlin gets to make a point, condition his big man and keep him as fresh as possible going into the season. I hope he sits out another couple of weeks.

LatrobePA
08-05-2008, 02:28 PM
I saw the name of this thread: Handling Hampton

And began to think what tools would be needed to handle him?? Crane came first to my mind!!

Joking aside, he has a terrible attitude IMO, and is selfish!!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Hampton needs to get conditioned and if that means working out minus the team drills for awhile then so be it. He'll some reps in preseason and practice and he'll be ready to go. He's no good to us in the 2nd half of games when we need him the most if he's 360 lbs and sucking wind on a crucial 3rd and 2 when we're up by 3 with 2 minutes to go for example. Tomlin may be mad at him; Im sure there's a method to it though and this is only the 2nd week of camp so it's not like the season starts tomorrow.

JensK
08-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Honestly, as long as he is in shape and ready to play at week one, i don't really care to much :) Weight is really hes only problem, since he is still one of the strongets men in the league. He just need to lose some pounds and dominate again. If that means he can't participate in practice, well so be it :-)

terrible.towel43
08-05-2008, 03:04 PM
He'll be ready to go sept 7 dont worry

steelcityrockers
08-05-2008, 03:54 PM
I just want to know how you can get to 365 pounds?

LatrobePA
08-05-2008, 04:20 PM
I just want to know how you can get to 365 pounds?

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:RKZ6AyVuCAcSzM:http://www.smithfamilymcdonalds.com/images/Big%2520Mac%2520Extra%2520Value%2520Meal.jpg

AND LOTS OF THEM!!

25MVPKing
08-05-2008, 10:26 PM
I think he can miss just about all of the preseason and not have any problems come week one.

However, not being able to get through the 2nd half is a problem. I don't think this is Tomlin's power play and for all I know Hampton doesn't mind skipping the beatings. Whatever it takes for Hampton to be a beast in week 17 and the playoffs, I'm cool with.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
08-05-2008, 10:37 PM
I'll have to agree with Tomlin on this...I noticed Casey's weight was kinda outta hand last year.He wasn't nearly effective as past seasons.You have to walk a fine line when your that size..you need to be big,but still in shape and apparently The big snack didn't take care of business in the off season.I have no doubt that he can get back to where he needs to be..but that's not what training camp is all about.

Stlrs4Life
08-05-2008, 10:39 PM
No excuse. Hampton should have been in better shape.

K Train
08-06-2008, 02:41 AM
its encouraging hearing how badass hoke is though

K Train
08-06-2008, 08:54 PM
The key to the 3-4 defense is the nose tackle. The guy over the center must command a double team, which in turn frees up an inside linebacker to pursue the run and blitz the quarterback. Hampton couldn't finish the fitness test and has let his weight get to a dangerous level where he's at risk of injury and a loss of effectiveness. Most of the players think he'll be back and remain a force. Even if he isn't, a few guys referred to backup nose tackle Chris Hoke as a guy who can step in without missing a beat.

Hoke told me he is confident he can do the job, but realizes he will return to the bench when Hampton shapes up. Keep in mind, the Steelers are 12-0 when Hoke plays nose tackle.

Hampton's lack of conditioning is a disappointment to the front office and as one player said, "A slap in the face to Mike Tomlin."

12-0....cant complain about that

Black@Gold Forever32
08-06-2008, 09:53 PM
It should be no shock that Chris Hoke is a player.....Hampton went down early in the season in 2004...The Steelers defense didn't miss a beat without Big Casey.....Hoke is a solid player......But Hampton is dropping the pounds and he will be ready...I'm glad Tomlin did this since it will make Hampton a better player...Maybe we will see some of the old Casey instead of the Hampton of last year....I'm sorry but I do think Hampton had an off year last year since I do think he was to heavy last year as well....

steelcitysfinestXL
08-06-2008, 10:32 PM
It should be no shock that Chris Hoke is a player.....Hampton went down early in the season in 2004...The Steelers defense didn't miss a beat without Big Casey.....Hoke is a solid player......But Hampton is dropping the pounds and he will be ready...I'm glad Tomlin did this since it will make Hampton a better player...Maybe we will see some of the old Casey instead of the Hampton of last year....I'm sorry but I do think Hampton had an off year last year since I do think he was to heavy last year as well....

Losing Smith didnt help him at all either. Its nothing we dont know, but i really think Aaron is the critical part of this line. Casey is a great player, and Hoke would start in the middle of most 3-4 defenses in the NFL. But Smith flys under the radar taking on block like a NT and still make plays. Imagine if we could upgrade Keisel or get him on the same level!

Black@Gold Forever32
08-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Losing Smith didnt help him at all either. Its nothing we dont know, but i really think Aaron is the critical part of this line. Casey is a great player, and Hoke would start in the middle of most 3-4 defenses in the NFL. But Smith flys under the radar taking on block like a NT and still make plays. Imagine if we could upgrade Keisel or get him on the same level!

Casey is one of the best when his weight is in some kind of control...I do think he was to heavy last year as well...No doubt the DL missed Smith bad.......I just think with Casey slimming down some then we will some of the old Hampton......His weight loss will pay dividends........

K Train
08-06-2008, 11:50 PM
casey was way to fat last year....no question he was in as bad shape then as he is now

BlitzburghRockCity
08-08-2008, 06:58 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08221/902762-194.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML

So does anyone else think it's about time for Casey to get in camp and start working on drills. I mean it's been 2 weeks now and sooner or later he's got to get some reps in Im sure he continue to lose weight and get in shape while working out with his teammates. Tomlin made his point, Casey hasn't done **** with anybody except ride a bike and run sprints for the last 2 weeks and camp is half over now.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
08-08-2008, 10:43 AM
I agree TG, He needs to be back in the mix starting right after tonight's game..he'll lose weight working out with the players too so you might as well kill 2 birds with one stone.

But from what i'm hearing about Hoke, you never know Casey's un-disciplined off season may have cost him more than he knows.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Just got a text from KDKA that Hampton is back at camp working with the team! No link yet on the site but probably will be shortly.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Here is the link.......Steelers

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_582136.html

Casey Hampton has started practicing again and the Steelers have some competition at punter. The team signed veteran Mitch Berger, and he will compete with Paul Ernster for the job that became available when Daniel Sepulveda tore the ACL in his right knee and was lost for the season.
Hampton, who is practicing this afternoon, had been on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list since showing up for training camp overweight and out of shape. The veteran nose tackle, who is listed at 325 pounds, has been working with conditioning assistant Marcel Pastoor to get his weight down.
He is a four-time Pro Bowler and one of the anchors of the Steelers defense.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks bro, I was beginning to think I got a rogue text or something :lol: