PDA

View Full Version : Weakest Link

25MVPKing
08-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Now that the boys have been in camp for a little while and our first preseason game is around the corner:

Before seeing them line up against another team (I plan on asking the same question after the preseason as well), what do you see as our weakest link?

For me it's:

O line
Everything on special teams except Reed
Corners

The O line has dissapointed me in recent years and I don't care how good (or not good) Faneca is/was, one Pro Bowler does complete a line. Starks has his moments, but him making the kind of money he does is just ridiculous. And we need another excellent center to add to the list (Webster, Dawson, Hartings). Ben needs more protection and our backs need holes.

If Reed has another year like last year, kicking will be the only place that's solid. Coverage, returning, and ball handling has been abysmal in recent years and now that Sepulveda is injured, we're possibly in deep.

I'm very happy with our safeties, but the other half of the defensive backfield is lackluster at best. They have their moments, but I don't see this group as capable of game-changing moments. It seems we haven't done enough in the past two drafts/free agency periods to pick up or groom a shutdown corner.

Throw in your :2cents:

terrible.towel43
08-04-2008, 04:45 PM
Our O-line indeed is weaker with Faneca gone, but u never know they may rise above expectations. cross your fingers. We just picked up drummond to return teh ball and he;s quick so he's definately a step up from rossum. I like our corners. Ike and Deshea both have speed, and hops. They may not amke game changing plays because they arent good at catching, but they do enough to knock the ball down which is what we need. This doesnt mean much but still Madden 09 gave them each an 89 overall.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Faneca isn't the main problem with the OL, he wasn't last year either. Yes he was one of the best guards in the league for a long time but Center is the main concern now; nobody seems to be taking charge right out of the gate. You can't just win the job by default, like Mahan did last year or it's a recipe for disaster.

K Train
08-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Now that the boys have been in camp for a little while and our first preseason game is around the corner:

Before seeing them line up against another team (I plan on asking the same question after the preseason as well), what do you see as our weakest link?

For me it's:

O line
Everything on special teams except Reed
Corners

The O line has dissapointed me in recent years and I don't care how good (or not good) Faneca is/was, one Pro Bowler does complete a line. Starks has his moments, but him making the kind of money he does is just ridiculous. And we need another excellent center to add to the list (Webster, Dawson, Hartings). Ben needs more protection and our backs need holes.

If Reed has another year like last year, kicking will be the only place that's solid. Coverage, returning, and ball handling has been abysmal in recent years and now that Sepulveda is injured, we're possibly in deep.

I'm very happy with our safeties, but the other half of the defensive backfield is lackluster at best. They have their moments, but I don't see this group as capable of game-changing moments. It seems we haven't done enough in the past two drafts/free agency periods to pick up or groom a shutdown corner.

Throw in your :2cents:

how can you be happy with our safeties? they are far and above the weakness in the secondary which is actually very solid. Polamalu is ****ing garbage and you hating on the corners is a direct relation to troy never doing his job, he will be hurt all year long and will not perform anywhere near where we need him to but he will still be the highest paid safety in the league. The oline can run block thats never been an issue we do have a huge hole at center which is a problem we are pretty solid everywhere else. And i hate the talks about corners.....first of all you dont just groom a shut down corner, second we dont need one in our defesne our corners are very good for what we ask them to do and ike doesnt give up very much while still being spectacular in run support. We have 4 weak links....special teams, center, brett keisel and troy polamalu

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
08-04-2008, 05:36 PM
It's a little too early to determine what our weak links are..we've all beaten the Oline to death, so they'll definately be under the microscope this preseason.But you never know, if those guys come into there own then we'll all be eating crow for Thanksgiving.Let's see how the next 4 weeks pan out then we'll know exactly where we need work.:popcorn:

SteelersWoman
08-04-2008, 05:39 PM
If I had to narrow it down to one weakness that bothers me the most, it would be center. That's the anchor of the line (supposed to be) and when the center doesn't play well, it affects the entire line.

steelcityrockers
08-04-2008, 05:52 PM
LaRon Landry is the highest paid safety in the league, btw.

Biggest weak link is defensive line, especially the uber duo of Nick Eason and Travis Kirshke. They are good for nothing and are completely worthless. They can't rush the passer, nor can they stop the run. If Ryan McBean fails again, we will be in serious doo doo.

SteelerSteve
08-04-2008, 05:52 PM
how can you be happy with our safeties? they are far and above the weakness in the secondary which is actually very solid. Polamalu is ****ing garbage and you hating on the corners is a direct relation to troy never doing his job, he will be hurt all year long and will not perform anywhere near where we need him to but he will still be the highest paid safety in the league. The oline can run block thats never been an issue we do have a huge hole at center which is a problem we are pretty solid everywhere else. And i hate the talks about corners.....first of all you dont just groom a shut down corner, second we dont need one in our defesne our corners are very good for what we ask them to do and ike doesnt give up very much while still being spectacular in run support. We have 4 weak links....special teams, center, brett keisel and troy polamalu
I was thinking, what if we traded Troy for a first round pick and somehow ended up with an elite center like that dude from oklahoma I believe and also picking up Taylor Mays from USC, the dude seems like an absolute monster he's 6'4 225 and he's playing safety. I dont know but I would love to get a bad *** lineman or two also.

25MVPKing
08-04-2008, 08:20 PM
how can you be happy with our safeties?

Troy is pretty darn good when he's healthy (which, granted, isn't often enough). I certainly see him as a pass rusher more than a run stopper or cover man. From what I've seen he's very good at least buzzing around like a bee and distracting many QBs. That won't do much for Manning or Brady, but that gives us an edge up against at least 75% of starting QBs.

I'm giving the other side the benefit of doubt going into this season. Smith/Clark seem to hold their own out there. I certainly feel they're more productive than the corners. Given the choice, I'd rather see 3 safeties in our backfield than 3 corners based on their performance in recent years. I don't need a HOFer at the corner position, but an occassional pro-bowler would be a step in the right direction.

Thanks for the spirited discussion!

Black@Gold Forever32
08-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Troy hasn't been distracting many QB's lately...lol He has been very ineffective to say the least...Him buzzing around and missing tackles isn't good...lol He misses a tackle for everyone he makes anymore....

Plus I have do it again for the hundredth time.....Troy's last INT was October 22, 2006 against the Atlanta Falcons....Last sack was November 19, 2006.....

Sure injuries have played a part....But Hines Ward hasn't been 100 percent healthy the last few years and he still produces some what....He hasn't totally disappeared like Troy has...lol

But I have to come clean....I never wanted Troy in the first place...He did win me over in 2004 and 2005.....I also supported the Rooney's decision to resign since I was hoping his sub-par 2006 was just a fluke...Well 2007 was worse....Now I don't think he will ever be the player he was in 04/05...Hopefully I'm wrong since he is getting paid a ton...lol

There has only been a few first round picks that I didn't want at all through the years....I only really started watching and following the draft since the mid 90s....So I don't go back that far.....But Troy Edwards, Troy Polamalu, and Lawrence Timmons were first round picks that I was against....I never be over the Troy Edwards pick...lol....I started to come around with Timmons....Can't really judge him last year......Hope he stays healthy and shows why he was the 15th pick overall last year....I think he will......

To answer Steve's question...Noway the Steelers will get that kind of value for Troy now....

K Train
08-04-2008, 08:40 PM
no you said you want a shutdown corner, shutdown meaning no one can do anything on him, he owns half the field and QBs shiver when they hear his name....well that guy doesnt exist. Now you just want a pro bowler? well troy is a probowler and i hope your not just satisfied with that label because hes ****ing trash, not "pretty darn good" hes a huge liability and a huge cap hit. And in the AFC we have guys like bailey, cromartie, nnamdi, samuel used to be...those are all big name guys and ike plays right up there with them. He might not get as many picks but he defends alot of passes and works against the best week in and week out despite not having any help over the top from troy...who we didnt draft to rush the passer, we drafted him to be able to cover the best TEs and take them out of the game...running around worked for a while, but teams learned to ignore it and that worked better, he needs to train like a football player, eat like a football player and stay healthy and play SS, not revolutionize it

25MVPKing
08-04-2008, 09:07 PM
B@G,
With you on Edwards from the beginning, but I was surprised with the Timmons pick and still think it has a good chance of working out.

KTrain,
I agree with both of you that buzzing around isn't as effective any more, and if the first few games are like the last 2 years I'll be calling for Troy to be traded too.

Also, I said I want a shutdown corner, but I'll settle for a step in the right direction with a regular Pro Bowler. As I see it Bailey and Cromartie are the shutdown corners in the league right now.

K Train
08-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Bailey is thriving off his name at this point in his career, he simply isnt what he used to be and his production has dropped way off and cromartie is still the #2 CB on his team and has to tighten up his game quite a bit before hes considered the best, just because hes a human highlight reel doesnt make him the best...jammer is still the guy on the chargers. Nnamdi is probably the best corner out there right now and you didnt even mention his name. I dont mean to give you such a hard time but i really like ike and bmac, and ive always liked deshea and if bmac steps his game up and forces deshea into the NB spot we are in very good shape....then theres william gay who only makes big plays

BlitzburghRockCity
08-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Troy buzzing around playing different positions and confusing the offense is not a bad thing; that's one of the things he does best. The problem is the last 2 years he hasn't been healthy and hasn't been able to do what he did before so there his play has suffered. Right now Troy needs to work hard and earn back the reputation that he spent his career building up until the last 2 years. If he has another sub par year he then becomes expendable IMO and we need to go in another direction. Im willing to give him to this year yet and see how he does and if his training methods pay off. Right now though Troy doesn't really strike fear into any offensive coordinator and that's a fact.

steelcityrockers
08-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Yeah K, Nnamdi Asomugha is the best CB in the league hands down. His numbers were way down last year simply because no one threw to his side. He is that good. He is a shutdown corner.

Stlrs4Life
08-04-2008, 10:35 PM
OL, Special teams, and our aging DL.

K Train
08-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Yeah K, Nnamdi Asomugha is the best CB in the league hands down. His numbers were way down last year simply because no one threw to his side. He is that good. He is a shutdown corner.

hes nasty no doubt, and having D-hall as the guy across from him is nuts, d-hall doesnt do well against 1s, but he can take most #2wrs out of the game.

i love cromartie, i think in 2 years he will be the unquestioned best CB in the league and the first $100 million CB because he is that good, he just has to tighten up his game a bit and he will....hes got greatness in front of him

25MVPKing
08-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Bailey is thriving off his name at this point in his career, he simply isnt what he used to be and his production has dropped way off and cromartie is still the #2 CB on his team and has to tighten up his game quite a bit before hes considered the best, just because hes a human highlight reel doesnt make him the best...jammer is still the guy on the chargers. Nnamdi is probably the best corner out there right now and you didnt even mention his name. I dont mean to give you such a hard time but i really like ike and bmac, and ive always liked deshea and if bmac steps his game up and forces deshea into the NB spot we are in very good shape....then theres william gay who only makes big plays
I'm honestly not that familiar with Nnamdi. From what I've read, he's just not thrown to (by anyone), which says a lot. (I think it was roughly 2 attempts per game with only 1/3 of those attemps becoming completions.) Funny thing is I watched a lot of Raiders games last year. I must have only watched the offensive series... I bounce around a lot through the non-Steeler games.

And yes, Quentin Jammer and Asante Samuel are also big timers. I don't watch much NFC, so I don't know who's over there. (And FWIW, I think Ed Reed is overrated, since we were talking safeties.)

Also, I'm all about "bmac"... he's a fellow alumnus.