PDA

View Full Version : How long before the media and fans call for a new coach?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2006, 12:58 PM
1-3 is hardly a reason to give up on a head coach with Cowhers history with the team. He's set all kinds of records in Steelers and NFL history, he won a super bowl, several AFCCG, tons of playoff appearances, as many pro bowl players as anyone could ask for, he's an icon in the city and the longest tenured coach in the league. The players love playing for him too. If he gets a lead at halftime he's a .908 winning percentage, which is incredible.

Having said all that, combined with his lack of a new contract, how much longer will it be before everybody and their brother calls for a new HC next year ?

And yes Koopa, we already know you want BC's head on a platter !

Steelx
10-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Should never even be thought of. I honestly thought he would have hung it up after the bowl and was shocked when he came back. I think he steps down. The guy is a proven winner he doesnt have the bowls (only 1) to back it up though but the Steelers are always in the playoffs.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Well I think Bill Cowher has already made it up in his mind that he is retiring after the year anyway. So I don't think he should be fired. He earned the right to walk away when he wants anyway. But I think a change might be good for the team. Change is sometimes good. I like Bill Cowher and thank him a ton for finally bringing the Super Bowl back to Pittsburgh. If he does retire then I wish him the best.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2006, 01:48 PM
Im torn because He's been our coach for so long and had so much success. If it wasnt for him we wouldnt have been the great team we've all been accustomed to seeing for the last 14 years. He's helped Pittsburgh one of the most popular sports teams in the world.

Im not ready to call for his head, I think he's still got life in him, but I do think at this point he's not been able to get through to the players like he has in the past. Granted he's seen his super bowl winning QB go through hell in the last 7 months, he's seen his HOF RB retire, and his pro bowl WR battle a hamstring issue...so it's not like he's just dismantled the team and everybody sucks. The HC always takes the bulk of the blame and the bulk of the praise. I hope we can finish this year strong and make the playoffs and then we'll sort out whether BC comes back.

If a change does happen though, I don't want him fired. I'd rather see him walk away under his own terms.

BBG7
10-09-2006, 02:21 PM
I think there are a lot of fans already calling for his head. He has got to be more focusesd on getting his team back to the mentality they had last year. I will say though, being a Steeler fan I am used to the having stability in the coaching position and it will be very wierd to see a new coach. I blame him for not making the Steelers play more diciplined football, however, we can't blame all the mistakes on him.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Thats something Steelers fans need to get over having such a emotional attachment with coaches and players. You don't think its going to be weird for me not having Bill Cowher on the sideline as head coach? It sure will. I'm only 27 and I hardly remember Chuck Noll. I remember some of Noll's last years. So Bill Cowher is the only head coach that I know for the Steelers. But I do think its time for him to go. He shouldn't be fired. But he should walk away at the end of the year on his own terms. He has earned that right for being an Hall of Fame coach and bringing the Lombardi Trophey back to Pittsburgh. I thank Bill Cowher for a great career. But its time for Bill maybe take a break from the game. I really think he is burnt out from being a coach for so long. Rightfully so since the pressure can take its toll on a person.

Prosdo
10-09-2006, 04:06 PM
I can't call for BC's head. He is an amazing coach. He knows what he is doing, but that fire does seem to be missing. I think he is retiring next year.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2006, 04:36 PM
That's what NFL fans do, we're passionate about our team, we get attached to them, especially the popular players, the pro bowlers, the ones that stick around for a long time. It's hard to say goodbye and let go when they get traded, released or get fired.

I was always a huge Jason Gildon fan, and I still am. I hated to see him get released because he was one of my favorites and had been around since the Greg Lloyd/Kevin Greene days. I still miss him playing for us. Same with Jerome, Yancy Thigpen, Mark Bruener, and other players like that.

The one constant has always been BC. No matter what every year we could look forward to him being on the sidelines and knew we had stability and not some coaching carosel like in Minnesota, Arizona, Dallas, and anyone of another 15 different places. He's a Steeler through and through and if he does walk away it will be hard to let go.

Steelerlyn
10-09-2006, 06:22 PM
In my opinion, Bill Cowher stays until Bill Cowher decides to leave.

SteelersfaninPhilly
10-09-2006, 06:49 PM
I think bill is gone after this year. He will be settling down in North Carolina. IMO Steelers hire from within.

Koopa
10-09-2006, 07:01 PM
i've wanted him fired since we melted down in 01 against the pats

Black@Gold Forever32
10-09-2006, 07:47 PM
That's what NFL fans do, we're passionate about our team, we get attached to them, especially the popular players, the pro bowlers, the ones that stick around for a long time. It's hard to say goodbye and let go when they get traded, released or get fired.

I was always a huge Jason Gildon fan, and I still am. I hated to see him get released because he was one of my favorites and had been around since the Greg Lloyd/Kevin Greene days. I still miss him playing for us. Same with Jerome, Yancy Thigpen, Mark Bruener, and other players like that.

The one constant has always been BC. No matter what every year we could look forward to him being on the sidelines and knew we had stability and not some coaching carosel like in Minnesota, Arizona, Dallas, and anyone of another 15 different places. He's a Steeler through and through and if he does walk away it will be hard to let go.

I hear what you are saying. But I grew up in the free agency era really. So players come and they go. Dude I loved Greg Lloyd, Rod Woodson, LeVon Kirkland, Dirt Dawson and many other players. But when their time is up or they leave I don't get to upset. Pro sports is a business and players and coaches come and they go. Thats the nature of the beast. Like I said its going to be very strange to not see Bill Cowher on that sideline. But I also think its time for a change but only on Bill Cowher's terms. He has earned that right.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Some of us can distance ourselves from the business side of it and some of us can't. It's just the way we're made and the kind of fans we are. Im not saying your less of a fan than us or that we're less of a fan than you, but it just comes easier for some to let go when it's time to let go.

Greg Lloyd was my favorite Steeler of all time, I was truely sad to see him leave and sign with Carolina. He was never the same after he blew out his knee but it still sucked to see him go. I honestly not quite ready to give up on BC, I have to let the season play out and see how we do through December before I can make up mind. If it does happen, then yes I agree, it should be on his own terms..and I think he's smart enough to know if it's time to go he'll step down.

Steelersfan
10-09-2006, 09:37 PM
I'll probably get blasted for saying this but BC has had problems in the past getting his teams ready for key games. I'm sure I don't need to mention them because we all know. He has also been very stubborn benching certain players (#10 ring a bell?). Football is a business and business is good when you are winning. I don't like the idea that BC has earned the right to go whenever he feels like. Maybe that is part of the problem. He knows he won't get fired anytime soon. With all that said I like BC as a coach for the most part and it would sure seem strange seeing someone else in that spot. I'd say if we ever get to the point of having to rebuild then it is time for him to go. Let a younger coach come in and build the team the way they want it.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2006, 09:43 PM
I don't think the Rooneys would have the heart to actually fire him, but it would be more of a thing where they would sit down and talk and basically tell him it's time to step down and walk away. Thanks for everything, you're a great coach, but a change is needed.

Yes BC has had some issues with this team in previous years. Normally though those come not in the regular season but in the playoffs. We usually take care of business in the regular season but come playoffs is when the team has not shown up to play at times.

Steelersfan
10-09-2006, 09:47 PM
I look at it like this:

His teams do well all season then think they can't be beat and get all cocky, make mistakes and don't play with any heart.
We win the SB last year and come out and win the first game this year so guess what happens? You got it! They get all cocky thinking they just have to show up to win. This team doesn't even look like it knows how to win right now. I'll chalk these games up to a severe SB hangover and see how we play the rest of the season.

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Give them a dam Bloody Mary to cure the hangover then ,cause this is gettin ridiculous...

House of Steel
10-09-2006, 09:50 PM
You guys all got some excellent points. You are speaking out of my mind. Excellent thread guys.

AZ_Steeler
10-10-2006, 07:21 PM
I'm quite surprised we haven't heard anything yet because this seemed to be the big talk around camp in the off season. Maybe if the Steelers lose a couple more games than they will start bringing it up, right now though Bens performance is keeping the Cowher retirement quiet!