PDA

View Full Version : No its' not time to bench Ben

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2006, 01:31 AM
Im listening to Steelers hotline on the radio right now, and there's been a few people calling in saying "it's time to sit Ben down and play Batch". That is simply a ridiculous statement IMO.

Ben is our guy, he's our starter, he's the QB we have and the one that can lead us. Now is NOT the time bench him. He's already gone through enough in the last 12 months that sitting him down now could potentially kill his psyche and set him back even further. He's got to work through this troubles' right now and the only way to do that is keep him playing, get the OL to block consistently to keep the pressure off him, and get the Running back to being a dominant force.

We're not talking about a Kurt Warner, or someone on the downside of their career that's just a stop gap for a younger player, We're talking about a SB winning QB, just 8 months ago. He's our guy and he will continue to be our guy we just gotta hang in there and keep trying. It's alot more than just Ben that got us into this 1-3 hole we're in.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-09-2006, 01:34 AM
I agree its not time to bench him. I agree also he is our QB. He just needs to play better thats the bottom line. But the whole team look like they quit in the 2nd half tonight and thats not a good sign.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2006, 01:40 AM
Yes they did. The pass rush stopped after half time, the running game stopped, the secondary went out for beer and the offensive line went home to bed.

We havent played 60 complete minutes all year.

Steelersfan
10-09-2006, 01:42 AM
Has out special teams played yet this year? We had a good return again and of course got called for a penalty. At least we made a couple FG's....lol

Black@Gold Forever32
10-09-2006, 01:45 AM
Yes they did. The pass rush stopped after half time, the running game stopped, the secondary went out for beer and the offensive line went home to bed.

We havent played 60 complete minutes all year.

I thinking missing the playoffs might be good for this team. I remember reading a story on how the Pats when they missed the playoffs in 2002 after winning their first Super Bowl and how hungrier the Pats were the next year after being dissappointed about not defending their Super Bowl Title. The Pats then won the next two Super Bowls. I don't want to say the playoffs are out of the question for the Steelers. But its not looking good. But even if they don't I still cheer for them. Its just fustrating and I tend to go nuts at times.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2006, 01:52 AM
Has out special teams played yet this year? We had a good return again and of course got called for a penalty. At least we made a couple FG's....lol

Jeff Reed was 2 for 2 in FG's ! That's something we havent seen all year either, Way to go Jeff !!!

I just can't stand us not being a hungry team, we've always been hungry, I hate seeing us not finishing drives, not finishing plays, and not finishing the game overall. We just can't put a complete game together to save our lives. If we don't be careful the playoffs will be out of reach for us and it'll be too late.

Koopa
10-09-2006, 01:57 AM
aww his "pshye" or wtfever you put is already gone, he's finished, we gonna have to start from scratch i guess.....but let him play out the season and maybe we can draft calvin johnson, the dude is a freak and with cowher gone we'll have a better offense and maybe ben can be used the right way next season with a freak target and holmes...hines is done too, he's still good but he ain't worth a damn when it comes to being number 1 wr

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2006, 02:07 AM
You've been hitting the Chem. homework alittle too hard tonight koop...he's certainly playing like crap right now but he's not finished forever ya goof :lol:

Koopa
10-09-2006, 02:16 AM
as long as cowher is the head coach he is done, he needs a new offense to be good....we don't have the team to be a sit on the ball anymore, we should be more explosive..we just need a new coach that isn't stuck on stupid

Black@Gold Forever32
10-09-2006, 02:22 AM
aww his "pshye" or wtfever you put is already gone, he's finished, we gonna have to start from scratch i guess.....but let him play out the season and maybe we can draft calvin johnson, the dude is a freak and with cowher gone we'll have a better offense and maybe ben can be used the right way next season with a freak target and holmes...hines is done too, he's still good but he ain't worth a damn when it comes to being number 1 wr

Koop, Cowher will be gone after this year. We just have to ride out the year with. I like Bill Cowher and he had a great career. I thank him for the Super Bowl win. But its time for a change. Change is good sometimes and the Steelers need change. We need an offensive minded head coach since Little Ben is our franchise. He hasn't earned the Big Ben title back yet.

But I honestly can't see the Steelers drafting a WR two years in a row in the first round. I know they did in 1999 and 2000 with Troy Edwards and Plax Burress but I just don't see the Steelers picking another WR in the first round in 2007. But Calvin Johnson would be freaking sweet.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2006, 08:34 AM
I agree we need to be explosive like last year, and why we arent this year is a big reason why we're not doing well. Everything falls back on BC, the head coach is ultimately responsible for this team. It's his job to keep these players focused and it's not something he's been able to accomplish this year yet. Compound that with all the injuries to Ben, no solid backup RB, and just general inconsistencies all the way around on the team and there's our 1-3 record.

I honestly don't know if BC will be back next year or not regardless of how well we do or don't do this season...but don't count him out yet. The Rooneys love BC and if they still think the fire is there they will ask him to return.

Prosdo
10-09-2006, 04:03 PM
They come out strong and just fall apart. It's pretty weird. They need to stay motivated and keep at it. They seem to lose their edge.

SteelersFire
10-09-2006, 05:07 PM
Needless to say, the fault does not fall on any single person, but on the team collectively. Defense holds its act together well enough but the game isn't won on defense alone ... obviously. Rivers made Roethlisberger look like the rookie and his indecision and wild last second throws cost us. BC made some really poor choices IMHO, but the team is just not cohesive, tight or focused.

I'm pretty discouraged but I haven't given it up ... yet.

Steelerlyn
10-09-2006, 05:57 PM
:tt02: :bigthumb: :tt02: :bigthumb:
I am more concerned than even close to discouraged.

Anyone who is a STEELER FAN knows we win, lose or tie together and we also DIE a Steeler fan. All bandwagoners need to find a new team.

Onto the topic at hand, Ben has to work through this, even at the expense of games. He's too good to not turn it around at some point and it might not even happen this year, but you have to let him deal with the adversity.
Win or lose, Ben has to be under center.

Every team we play is coming with their A game, to beat the Superbowl Champions (which we will be until someone changes that Feb '07) and if we are not ready for them, we lose. I think the Steelers are great, I love the ownershp, the coaching staff and everyone else involved with the Steelers.
There may be problems but I certainly am not qualified to suggest we do something different.

:tt02: :bigthumb: :tt02:

K Train
10-09-2006, 06:33 PM
Ben looked sharp last night, real loose and was threading a needle with some passes, he force the flea flicker...oh well, it was the floater that he threw on his way to the ground that killed us. But hell no we dont bench ben, he need to play and get better is we have any chance at a playoff run, but i thought he looked loose and comfortable last night, he was sharp, mabey he got laid before the game but im happy with his progress from 2 weeks ago to now, no so much with the temas progress as a whole.

SteelerFan87
10-09-2006, 07:56 PM
I say start Ben next week, and if he sucks, put in Batch by the 2nd half. I'm not giving up on Ben, it's just that we can't afford to nurse him along at the expense of the record/playoff chances. Let Charlie get us a win or 2, while working on Ben in practice, then when Ben is ready, put him back in.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Ok this is getting retarded. Just because someone is critical of the Steelers doesn't make them any less a fan or a bandwagon fan. Its our right as fans to be critical and not blind homer all the time and that everything is going to be ok and the team will turn it around.

For the comment Ben is to good not to turn it around. How does anyone know how good Ben is? We don't know since Ben was far from a finished product and the jury was still out on Ben Roethlisberger as an NFL QB. Yes he played very well in his first two years in the league no doubt. But he was surrounded by whole lot of talent. Yes he stepped his game up in the playoffs last year and was a big reason the Steelers made the Super Bowl. Plus any QB no matter how great the QB is needs a solid supporting cast. But there was still questions about Ben overall as a QB. Ben talks a good game about being great and a team leader. Well actions speak louder then words.

House of Steel
10-09-2006, 08:02 PM
I am not panicking at all. The next 6 games will really tell where this team is going to be. I am still confident we are going to turn this thing around for sure. We lose anymore games this coming 6 week easy stretch, you can kiss the playoffs goodbye.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Ok this is getting retarded. Just because someone is critical of the Steelers doesn't make them any less a fan or a bandwagon fan. Its our right as fans to be critical and not blind homer all the time and that everything is going to be ok and the team will turn it around.

For the comment Ben is to good not to turn it around. How does anyone know how good Ben is? We don't know since Ben was far from a finished product and the jury was still out on Ben Roethlisberger as an NFL QB. Yes he played very well in his first two years in the league no doubt. But he was surrounded by whole lot of talent. Yes he stepped his game up in the playoffs last year and was a big reason the Steelers made the Super Bowl. Plus any QB no matter how great the QB is needs a solid supporting cast. But there was still questions about Ben overall as a QB. Ben talks a good game about being great and a team leader. Well actions speak louder then words.

I don't think there's any question of Ben's ability as a QB. Nor was there ever since he started for us that game a few years back at Ratbird stadium when Tommy went down with the elbow/arm injury. Ben can do the job and anyone who thinks otherwise is crazy if you ask me. It's not a question of if he has enough talent to do it, or if he has the mental ability to do it. It's a question of how long will it take him to fully recover from all the events that happened to him in 2006.

Every QB needs a solid supporting cast, no one can do it alone and Ben is no different. He's got the cast around him but at this point that cast isnt playing well so the blame falls on them as well as Ben.

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Ben is our man, period. Give some credit to the Chargers, god that was hard to say, but their O line played a great game and picked up everything we threw at them. Their nose tackle was blowing up plays ALL NIGHT long. No one on offense is stepping up to the next level to help out Ben. We live by the Blitz and when the blitz don't get there ... well you die by it also.

SteelersFire
10-09-2006, 11:53 PM
Ben is definitely amongst the best and I'm glad he's ours. As i said earlier, the fault lies with no single person but, rather, with the team as a whole. I think what gets lost in the mix here about the effect of Ben's mishaps off field is the fact that the man hasn't thrown a TD pass since, what? Dallas? His performance faltered DURING the SB and hasn't gotten solidly back on track since. Nonetheless, he was surrounded by a team dynamic that seems to be MIA this season.

We Steeler fans have reason to be both discouraged and concerned ~ and while there surely will be bandwagon jumpers, that is no great loss to those of us who remain solidly black n gold through good times and bad.

Whatever the reasons behind their inability to hold it together, we should also remember that every team in the league wants their blood. Every team we play this season has a "need" to shove it in our faces and beat the defending champs. We now face the very weapon that we so successfully employed last season, ie: contempt. The FU 'tood. It's a heckuva motivator and can put even the strongest team on the defensive, which is not a good place to be.

Koopa
10-10-2006, 12:13 AM
but it's not the teams fault that ben is throwing horrible interceptions, he's just being a ****tard.....there was no need to throw that ball on his second int espically when he was already going down, take the sack and try again...if we had a better coach that didn't threat him like a little kid his whole career he'd be a better qb, damn i can't wait till cowher is gone and we don't play like pussies anymore

Forged in Steel
10-10-2006, 12:21 AM
It's more like time to bench Drew Bledsoe! 5 int's and 7 sacks! :nono:

Koopa
10-10-2006, 12:32 AM
huh?? what in the blue hell does that retard have to do with our retarded qb??

suitanim
10-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Comedy Gold...each and every year for the last 25 years (last year included) the "Doom and gloomers" come out after a couple losses, predicting the demise of the Steelers, calling for the coaches head, calling for a new QB, lamenting some or all aspects of the game. It's complete nonsense...

BlitzburghRockCity
10-10-2006, 10:14 AM
So far I haven't heard anyone say anything about Calling for Ben's head, other than on the internet, or that BC needs to be fired...but you know it's coming eventually.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-10-2006, 04:26 PM
I havn't read one post about the doom and gloom of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Even if the Steelers do miss the playoff this year. They still have enough talent to make the playoffs next year. So the Steelers are nowhere near being doomed for the long term. Actually I see this team being just like the 2002 Pats. The Pats missed the playoffs that year after their first Super Bowl. We all know the Pats rebounded to win the next two Super Bowls. Can the Steelers still make the playoffs this year? They sure can but the Steelers can not affort to drop anymore AFC games this year. When you think about the Steelers have to win their remaining AFC games to have a shot at the playoffs.

AZ_Steeler
10-10-2006, 07:46 PM
The answer to this thread is plain and simple... Ben is the future of the Steelers, just because he is in a slump doesn't mean you yank him from the line-up. The only way to get through this is gametime and Ben will recover just fine.

House of Steel
10-10-2006, 09:15 PM
I hope the Cowher Basher and the Ben Head Hunters don't show up, cause I will go off on anyone of those asses that even begins to start. Koopa is getting very close to the border of my boiling point calling Ben a retard and going off the flying head calling for Cowher to be fired or resigned. That is not a true fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers. I don't care if your joking either, Koopa. It isn't damn funny at all. I've dealt with them asses last year on Mac and Wife. I sure is hell not going to put up with it here for sure. By the way, it costed me a three months suspension for going off the flying end with these bashers and cussing my *** off cause I got so sick and tired of the disrespect and the agony of calling the Steelers the biggest losers on record. Trust me, I have a very serious issue when it comes to disrespecting the Steelers to a point of comedy and insulting lines.

Steelersfan
10-11-2006, 02:14 AM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion HoS. Everyone here gives their own opinion on things and we all need to remember that. Just because we agree or disagree doesn't make anyone more or less a fan of the team. I've seen too much of that crap on other team sites and that is one of the reasons I made this one. I want this to be a place where everyone can voice their opinion on the team without being slammed.

House of Steel
10-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Oh I know, Dan. I am just saying I hate Cowher Bashers and Ben Head Hunters with a passion. I put up with enough of that last season on another forum and sure hope it doesn't rear its ugly head in this forum. So far, so good.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion HoS. Everyone here gives their own opinion on things and we all need to remember that. Just because we agree or disagree doesn't make anyone more or less a fan of the team. I've seen too much of that crap on other team sites and that is one of the reasons I made this one. I want this to be a place where everyone can voice their opinion on the team without being slammed.

Very good post and thats why I like this forum. I know I can be highly critical and I know I go to far at times. But I'm highly emotional person thats takes Steelers football way to serious at times. But after a day or so I'm fine and back to normal. The fustrating part about this season so far isn't the losses. Its the way the Steelers are lossing that is ticking me off.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-11-2006, 05:14 PM
The answer to this thread is plain and simple... Ben is the future of the Steelers, just because he is in a slump doesn't mean you yank him from the line-up. The only way to get through this is gametime and Ben will recover just fine.

:iagree: The guy is our future, there is no one else, he's proven himself already to everyone, now we just have to be patient and let him work through this..I think it's safe to say that most of us have the confidence in him that he will do just that.

K Train
10-11-2006, 05:18 PM
1 Touchdown....thats all i ask, i think thats what he needs to get back on track.