PDA

View Full Version : Steelers bring back C Legursky, cut kicker

Captcoolhand
08-02-2008, 07:43 PM
LATROBE, Pa.óRookie center Doug Legursky re-signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers on Saturday, with rookie kicker Julian Rauch released to create a roster spot for him.

The 6-foot-1, 323-pound Legursky signed in April as an undrafted rookie free agent but was released on June 29. He was a three-time all-Conference USA choice who started the final 32 games of his college career at Marshall.
The Steelers practiced twice Saturday at Saint Vincent College, but nearly all of their starters were held out of a morning workout in which rookie quarterback Dennis Dixon, a fifth-round pick from Oregon, took many of the snaps during a 7-on-7 passing drill.
The starters did not practice after going through a night workout at Latrobe High School on Friday.
With Rauch's departure, the Steelers have one kicker, incumbent Jeff Reed, and one healthy punter, former Broncos punter Paul Ernster, in camp. Punter Daniel Sepulveda tore a knee ligament during the first day of practice Monday and is scheduled to have season-ending knee surgery on Wednesday. Wide receiver Santonio Holmes remained out of camp after leaving Friday due to a death in the family but is expected back Sunday.He must of showed them something. Maybe they just want to put more pressure on the Center position. :dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-02-2008, 07:51 PM
There have been some odd moves so far; bringing in a nothing punter to replace Sep..releasing Legursky now bringing him back when you already have Stapleton, Mahan ( sort of ), and Hartwig who can all play Center. My guess is with this signing it's just to to add some competition for Stapleton and see who might be the better fit.

BlackGold4vr
08-02-2008, 10:29 PM
All the daily reports that I have read so far have been bad on both centers. Apparently, Chris Hoke has been manhandling both of them like they were pop warner centers. Hoke is a great back-up NT for us but the fact that the two men competing to be our starting center cannot handle blocking him concerns me greatly! I haven't read anything about Stapleton at the center position thus far. Actually, Mahan has looked better of the two and that is not saying much. If none of these guys can stand their ground and sure up the middle of our line it will be a long and painful season. The fact that they are bringing back Legursky should be sending red star clusters up for Steeler Nation. You cannot expect consistent success in the NFL with a soft middle on your O-line. Hopefully Hartwig's problems stem from a lack of knowledge of the playbook and not from a lack of strength which was Mahans problem. They better fix this position fast. :yesnod:

Captcoolhand
08-02-2008, 10:37 PM
All the daily reports that I have read so far have been bad on both centers. Apparently, Chris Hoke has been manhandling both of them like they were pop warner centers. Hoke is a great back-up NT for us but the fact that the two men competing to be our starting center cannot handle blocking him concerns me greatly! I haven't read anything about Stapleton at the center position thus far. Actually, Mahan has looked better of the two and that is not saying much. If none of these guys can stand their ground and sure up the middle of our line it will be a long and painful season. The fact that they are bringing back Legursky should be sending red star clusters up for Steeler Nation. You cannot expect consistent success in the NFL with a soft middle on your O-line. Hopefully Hartwig's problems stem from a lack of knowledge of the playbook and not from a lack of strength which was Mahans problem. They better fix this position fast. :yesnod:
that's what i was thinking because they can't be happy seeing Mahan as their best option after how he played last year.

Zachintosh66
08-02-2008, 10:38 PM
its gonna suck to get cut twice inside of 2 months

BlitzburghRockCity
08-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Last I heard the coaches were pretty high on Stapleton and think he has a real chance to make the team this year. Hoke is just a beast, he's so compact and powerful it's not surprising he can toss around the players on our line; I wouldn't want to play against him. Hartwig is still finding his stride with the offense and it's the first week of camp so everything is new and it'll take some time for him to get situated. Good grief though if Mahan wasn't bad enough last year to convince anybody he's not the guy then God help us!

K Train
08-06-2008, 03:46 AM
why the **** cant this dude just be a beast and make our lives easier...hes a freak in the weight room....why cant we just stumble upon some nasty ****ing lineman to anchor our team for like a decade, its bullshiat lol, i dont know why im getting so pissed off in these threads tonight lol

Ask a pair of National Football League Draft prospects about Doug Legursky and they respond with laughter.During separate interviews, Keilen Dykes and Harry Douglas raved concerning their workout teammate. Legursky, Marshall University’s former center, is training for the April 26-27 draft with former West Virginia defensive lineman Dykes and Douglas, a highly-regarded wide receiver from Louisville.

Dykes and Douglas simply chuckled at the mention of Legursky, whose athleticism betrays his stout, 6-foot-3, 300-pound plus frame.

“Doug is a freak in the weight room,” said Dykes a fellow 300-pounder who works out with Legursky at Huntington’s High Intensity Training Center under local agent Dave Rich. “He puts up big numbers. He’s a big power guy.”

Legursky established numerous weight room records during his four-year Thundering Herd career. The Beckley native was a starting player as a true freshman and is working toward delivering a similar immediate impression with NFL scouts and coaches.

Marshall’s Pro Day on March 21 offers Legursky’s best opportunity to elevate his draft status. Douglas said the four-year starter is well-prepped for the extensive tryout, which includes a 40-yard dash, shuttle runs, bench press drills and interviews, along with actual football-specific workouts.

“I’ve been really impressed with Doug,” Douglas said. “To be so big, he’s in and out of cuts like a receiver.

“Scouts want you to keep your pad levels low and Doug does that very well. I’ve been very impressed with Doug; and he’s strong.”

Dykes literally has been more hands-on with Legursky’s training. They work with/against each other in lineman drills, and like Douglas, Dykes simply chuckles at Legursky’s blend of power and mobility.

“Doug is running times faster than (defensive ends) did at the (NFL) Combine,” Dykes said. “It’s been crazy. I see what he’s running, like a 4.77, and I’m like ‘wow.’

“He’s athletic and if you want to see someone who’s good on their feet, Doug is that guy. He’s putting up shuttle times that are crazy for a big guy like that.”

Legursky and quarterback Bernard Morris are Marshall’s top prospects for the NFL Draft. Fourteen Thundering Herd players have been selected since the 1998 Draft, including Ahmad Bradshaw, who earned a Super Bowl ring with the New York Giants as a rookie last season.

Legursky is a wild card entering the draft. He wasn’t invited to the NFL Combine, but his test numbers, including 36 bench presses at 225 pounds, measure favorably with his peers. He can play center and guard and is working with all-time Marshall great Mike Bartrum on long-snapping.

“He’s got great movement,” Dykes said. “At the center spot they want to see you get to that level and pick off linebackers and Doug can do that.

“At his Pro Day he’s going to shine.”
http://nfldraftscouting.com/2008/03/04/fellow-nfl-draft-prospects-impressed-by-herds-legursky/

Black@Gold Forever32
08-06-2008, 08:24 AM
I have always liked Legursky.....Problem is I think its going to take some time for him to become a player......A team like the Steelers thats always in contention doesn't have the luxury to wait for a player to develop unless they place him on the practice squad....Unless they waste a roster spot on the final 53 on him....

steelcitysfinestXL
08-06-2008, 08:30 AM
I have always liked Legursky.....Problem is I think its going to take some time for him to become a player......A team like the Steelers thats always in contention doesn't have the luxury to wait for a player to develop unless they place him on the practice squad....Unless they waste a roster spot on the final 53 on him....

Yeah and esp. not at center where we are kinda shakey at OL already. Its nice to have depth but we need someone to produce right now. With the injury history Hartwig has maybe i wouldnt be a bad idea to keep this dude around.