PDA

View Full Version : Steelers acquire ex-Chief/Lion KR/PR Eddie Drummond

steelcitysfinestXL
07-31-2008, 02:46 PM
With D-sep out a void was left on the roster, so the Steelers look to boost speacial teams... with a Return man?!?:scratch:

The Steelers this morning worked out wide receiver Eddie Drummond, whose main job with the club would be as a return man.
Drummond, 28, was born in Pittsburgh and played collegiately at Penn State. He was drafted in 2002 by the Detroit Lions and spent five seasons with the team. Last year, Drummond played for the Kansas City Chiefs and averaged 21.2 yards per kickoff return and 6.9 yards per punt return.

For his career, Drummond has returned 250 kickoffs for a 23.2 average and two touchdowns, and 140 punts for a 9.1 average and four touchdowns. He's caught four career passes for seven yards.

abejota88
07-31-2008, 03:16 PM
Shouldn`t we be welcoming Punters for trials over Punt returners?

BlitzburghRockCity
07-31-2008, 03:48 PM
It's just doing their homework in case injuries happen. Holmes though has said he'd like to return kicks but it's unlikely he'll get that duty on a regular basis from what we've read in the last few days since camp started. Moore is the man in the return game for us but they are also need to have backups available in case something happens.

Troyisabeast_43
07-31-2008, 07:28 PM
I like the signing Drummond seems determined to do well here listening to his comments today. I think he can add a lot to the kicking game and be a good part of our special teams. I think he has a good chance to win a roster spot and make the team personally.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-31-2008, 07:49 PM
I never mind bringing in a player to help a need are....I just wonder if this is just another Allen Rossum.....Drummond was a very good return man at one time but so was Rossum....So I will wait and see how Drummond does before thinking our return issues are solved....But I don't hate the move....like I said at least they made a move to help the return game....

BlitzburghRockCity
07-31-2008, 07:57 PM
If he's brought in dirt cheap and can help out in the return game then why not; but Im really anxious to see more Moore can do for us on ST. If he is brought in that will spell the doom of Willie Reid for sure IMO; just in case they have any mental lapses in thinking Reid might be able to handle the job in a pinch.

Zachintosh66
07-31-2008, 08:44 PM
I like the move... welcome home Eddie!

Friday133
07-31-2008, 09:37 PM
Jason Capizz got cut to make room for Drummond. Thoughts?

steelcityrockers
07-31-2008, 09:40 PM
Lol on Cappizzi and I fu<king hate Drummond He has not been near the same since 04 when he got hurt (also his best year btw) Last year he was just bad. No other word.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-01-2008, 12:16 AM
Lol on Cappizzi and I fu<king hate Drummond He has not been near the same since 04 when he got hurt (also his best year btw) Last year he was just bad. No other word.

Not gonna say i hate him cause he is a PSU guy!! But like rockers said he played very well and even made the probowl a few years back. But since he has been just an average Joe as a return man and useless as a WR. Lets not expect him to amazingly get back to probowl form. I like this move ONLY because it keeps Santonio strictly focused on WR. Let MeMo and Drummond/Bloom handle kicks!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-01-2008, 06:57 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08214/901122-66.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML

The Steelers acquired a return man late in the game for the second consecutive year, only this time they did not have to use a draft pick to get him.

East Liberty native Eddie Drummond signed with the Steelers yesterday and was returning punts in practice at Saint Vincent College by the afternoon.

Drummond, 28, believes he can again become what he once was, among the best kick- and punt-return men in the NFL.

"Definitely," he said. "I think I'm peaking right now. I feel like when I was in my Pro Bowl year, and being on a team like this will make a big difference."

Drummond, undrafted out of Penn State, made the Lions in 2002, but has not been the same since he made the Pro Bowl with Detroit in 2004. That season, he had four touchdown returns, two punts and two kickoffs. He averaged 13.2 yards a punt return and 26.6 on kickoffs.

He has not scored a touchdown since. He signed a one-year contract as a free agent with Kansas City last year and averaged just 6.9 yards on 32 punt returns and 21.2 on 37 kickoff returns.

he's obviously feeling pretty good to be picked up and feels he can contribute ( although if he didn't I'd be worried ) but as of right now he'll be thrown into the mix and between him and Moore we might just have a decent return game that can net us something more besides a fumble, touchback, or a 5 yd return.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
08-01-2008, 09:23 AM
with Drummond bieng signed...that pretty much slams the door on Bloom making the team.Unless Bloom really tears some sh*t up this preseason.I was kinda rooting for the kid for the good ol underdog story.

Zachintosh66
08-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Cappizzi messed up his foot pretty bad it sounds like

steelcityrockers
08-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Here is hoping Eddie Drummond proves me wrong. He won't. Probably will not make the roster. But as Allen Rossum's spiritual successor as washed up veteran RS, I hope he proves me wrong.