PDA

View Full Version : Sepulveda out for season...

Troyisabeast_43
07-29-2008, 06:26 PM
Just found the link here he tore his ACL at practice within the last few hours...Boy this is a devistating injury for a already suspect kicking unit....

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08211/900321-66.stm

floodcitygirl
07-29-2008, 06:28 PM
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steelerfan11
07-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Just heard this on the news...THIS SUCKS!!!!!

STEEL CITY TANK
07-29-2008, 06:38 PM
What the!!!!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cursin:

Troyisabeast_43
07-29-2008, 06:39 PM
The guy we signed to replace him Paul Ernster was the same punter who played with the Browns last year in the season opener and if you remember correctly I believed he had a punt blocked and dropped one as well in that game against us. I cant believe we cant pick up a better punter then this stiff. What about Mike Barr didnt Arizona cut him last season??

K Train
07-29-2008, 06:44 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Just got the text too, this is just awful for the kid. After a real solid rookie campaign he has this bad luck happen to him right out of the gate. :evilshake:

This freekin camp has been a disaster right from the start and it's only been going on 3 days. Things better clear up and people need to get and stay healthy. I would imagine we'll bring in several punters over the next few weeks and have open tryouts during preseason to find out who's going to win the job.

STEEL CITY TANK
07-29-2008, 06:46 PM
The guy we signed to replace him Paul Ernster was the same punter who played with the Browns last year in the season opener and if you remember correctly I believed he had a punt blocked and dropped one as well in that game against us. I cant believe we cant pick up a better punter then this stiff. What about Mike Barr didnt Arizona cut him last season??

..........this thread is making me depressed, if we loose 1 season game because of a punt getting blocked or a punter dropping the ball I'll flip.......:banging:

steelersgal86
07-29-2008, 06:47 PM
wow....this is not good..I just got the text a little bit ago but it didnt say what happened....:cursin:

Troyisabeast_43
07-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Just got the text too, this is just awful for the kid. After a real solid rookie campaign he has this bad luck happen to him right out of the gate. :evilshake:

This freekin camp has been a disaster right from the start and it's only been going on 3 days. Things better clear up and people need to get and stay healthy. I would imagine we'll bring in several punters over the next few weeks and have open tryouts during preseason to find out who's going to win the job.

They had better because Paul Ernster is not going to cut it because I have seen enough of that guy punt and he is lousy. How about bringing in Mike Barr or even Josh Miller are they anywhere right now?? Id even be tempted to give Chris Gardocki a call and see if he wants to play another year. Tomlin is trying to downplay this by listening to his comments after they announced the injury saying it's not a big deal. Well it sure as hell is a big deal and they had better address this issue and get a decent punter in here within the next week or so.

steelerfan11
07-29-2008, 06:50 PM
They also have a rookie punter out of appalation state...but they didn't pick a punter right now...

like top gun said i am sure they will have open tryouts throughout the preseason.

K Train
07-29-2008, 06:52 PM
i want to cry...he is my boy! he was pro bowl bound!

Troyisabeast_43
07-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Like I said give Chris Gardocki a call and see what happens what have you got to lose?? The guy is consistent and never gets blocked.

Prosdo
07-29-2008, 06:53 PM
What crappy news! Sep is a huge part of ST.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Gardocki's leg is shot; all he's good for right now is directional punting no more than 40 yds max. Asking him to bail you out from deep in your end zone or even at your 20 yd is pointless because he's got nothing left. At this point though they better bring in a bunch of guys and see who can beat out who. Our ST unit could turn out to be something good this year with Moore and Holmes back there returning kicks and guys like Gay, Timmons, and other special team hopefuls stepping up to the challenge. Let's face it, after the recent ST woes we've had we can't get much worse, can we? *knock on wood*

K Train
07-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Like I said give Chris Gardocki a call and see what happens what have you got to lose?? The guy is consistent and never gets blocked.

hes ****ing garbage though, id rather go for it on 4th down

Troyisabeast_43
07-29-2008, 07:07 PM
hes ****ing garbage though, id rather go for it on 4th down

Well go watch and see what Paul Ernster did back in the season opener while playing for the Browns against the Steelers last season and tell me then if you think Gardocki isnt a better option then him. Ernster is a bum and there is no way I can see the Steelers sticking with him as their punter for the season.

steelerfan11
07-29-2008, 07:07 PM

I would love it if Barr was available and they brought him in..we know the kid can punt. The question is, is he available?

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Sucks that Sep is gone for the year....Could be worse....This could be Ben lost for the season.....They need to find a punter quick....Not the scrub they signed or Gardocki......

Troyisabeast_43
07-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Gardocki's leg is shot; all he's good for right now is directional punting no more than 40 yds max. Asking him to bail you out from deep in your end zone or even at your 20 yd is pointless because he's got nothing left. At this point though they better bring in a bunch of guys and see who can beat out who. Our ST unit could turn out to be something good this year with Moore and Holmes back there returning kicks and guys like Gay, Timmons, and other special team hopefuls stepping up to the challenge. Let's face it, after the recent ST woes we've had we can't get much worse, can we? *knock on wood*

Mike Barr is currently a free agent too and not signed with anybody. He had a couple really good camps for the Steelers for a few years when he battled with Gardocki for the starting job. I'm sure they are going to question bringing in Barr seeing that Arizona and Whiz let him go in late November last season because he had the worst average for any punter in the league last year.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Barr did have a lot of good camps with us and had it not been for Gardocki's "ive never had a punt blocked" claim to fame he'd have probably taken the job from Chris. Im kind of surprise Barr had that bad of numbers last year, which doesn't make me feel that good about bringing him back to try out with us either. At this point though there's got to be some rookie FA punters out there that we can bring in and have open tryouts. We can't sell ourselves short in this area.

Troyisabeast_43
07-29-2008, 07:22 PM
What gets lost in the shuffle here also is that Sepulveda is the holder for Jeff Reed on field goals so they are not only going to have to address the punting situation but address the holding of the field goal position as well which is also something that shouldnt be taken for granted. It sometimes can take a good while for a kicker and a holder to get a feel for one another and get some chemistry down.

SteelerSteve
07-29-2008, 07:30 PM
F U C K MY LIFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zachintosh66
07-29-2008, 07:36 PM
damn... cant even get through 3 days of practice...

at least it was "the punter", granted i like Dan as much as the next guy, but at least it wasnt another prime position (i wont mention any, for fear i jinx them)

Stlrs4Life
07-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Well go watch and see what Paul Ernster did back in the season opener while playing for the Browns against the Steelers last season and tell me then if you think Gardocki isnt a better option then him. Ernster is a bum and there is no way I can see the Steelers sticking with him as their punter for the season.

You mean we were dumb enough to bring him in? (Ernster)

Ambridge
07-29-2008, 07:42 PM
I'm was suspecting that Special Teams were still going to be an issue this season-now that Sepulveda is done for the year it's almost a guarantee!! :poopfan:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2008, 07:58 PM
What gets lost in the shuffle here also is that Sepulveda is the holder for Jeff Reed on field goals so they are not only going to have to address the punting situation but address the holding of the field goal position as well which is also something that shouldnt be taken for granted. It sometimes can take a good while for a kicker and a holder to get a feel for one another and get some chemistry down.

Batch can hold for punts and FG's; he's done it before so if it comes to that we'll have someone with experience doing it. Small consolation I know... :nonod:

SteelerSteve
07-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Batch can hold for punts and FG's; he's done it before so if it comes to that we'll have someone with experience doing it. Small consolation I know... :nonod:At least you tried, right? :lol:

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
07-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Batch can hold for punts and FG's; he's done it before so if it comes to that we'll have someone with experience doing it. Small consolation I know... :nonod:

lol..and i've seen them use Big Ben as a punter too! I'm not hitting the panic button just yet, the punter talent pool has to be deeper then most positions..you never know,might find a gem out there.:crossfingers:i'm sure we'll see alot of guys rotating in that spot during preseason games.

SteelerSteve
07-29-2008, 10:34 PM
lol..and i've seen them use Big Ben as a punter too! I'm not hitting the panic button just yet, the punter talent pool has to be deeper then most positions..you never know,might find a gem out there.:crossfingers:i'm sure we'll see alot of guys rotating in that spot during preseason games.
Oh yeah, Ben did some punting in HS and College right?

Dee Mca
07-30-2008, 12:20 AM
No need to Hit the panic button only 3 days into camp and we lose our punter for the season. Thats fine we'll just go for it on 4th downs .

BlackGold4vr
07-30-2008, 12:58 AM
No doubt this injury sucks, but I can think of a bunch of other players whose loss would have been worse. If you are gonna lose a player, the punter is a low impact player in the game. With our newly juiced offense I was hoping we wouldn't use our punter that much anyway. On average the punter might be involved in what 4 to 6 plays? I suspect he will be back next year better than ever! :tt02:

Koopa
07-30-2008, 02:56 AM
i bet ed bitchette busted a nut when he heard that d-sep tore his acl

d-sep isn't that great anyway, he didn't show that he was a special punter the way ktrain was talking about him all off season last year

and only ****** teams need a good punter, if we are anywhere near decent we won't need to punt much lol

so i'm offically jumping of the d-sep train because he is now a brittle bitch being that this is his second time he tore that acl

Phenomenal TJ
07-30-2008, 05:22 AM
God help this kid if he doesn't do well, he'll be getting death threats like Maddox did.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-30-2008, 07:29 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08212/900451-66.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML

Now they have to wonder if he wasn't damaged goods when they drafted him.

Sepulveda, who punts with his left foot, will miss the 2008 season because of a torn ACL in his right knee that the second-year player said bothered him since he rushed back to play for Baylor in 2006 just months after first having surgery to repair the same ligament.

He punted well enough that fall to become the only man to win a second Ray Guy Award as the nation's best collegiate punter and be chosen All-American for the second time in three years.

so it seems like our superman punter made a mistake a few years that's costing him and us now. It's all water under the bridge at this point but right now the fact is that he had a really solid rookie year and the team believes in him but now we're stuck with some half baked yahoo castoff from detroit :evilshake:

damnit Ktrain why didn't you tell us about this before we drafted hiM!! :cursin::greengrin:

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
07-30-2008, 09:17 AM
No need to Hit the panic button only 3 days into camp and we lose our punter for the season. Thats fine we'll just go for it on 4th downs .

your sarcasm is dually noted. :clap: Just making the point if your gonna lose a player for the year right from the gate...a 2nd year punter is not as bad as it could be.

Captcoolhand
07-30-2008, 10:22 AM
I thought this was really wierd hearing about this when I was just there at camp on Monday watching him hold the ball for Reed while he kicked some field goals.

SteelerSal
07-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Now they have to wwonder if he wasn't damaged goods when they drafted him.

Sepulveda, who punts with his left foot, will miss the 2008 season because of a torn ACL in his right knee that the second-year player said bothered him since he rushed back to play for Baylor in 2006 just months after first having surgery to repair the same ligament.
He punted well enough that fall to become the only man to win a second Ray Guy Award as the nation's best collegiate punter and be chosen All-American for the second time in three years.

Looks like the front office needs to do alittle more homework scouting potential draft picks.

K Train
07-30-2008, 01:57 PM
hes my favorite player and we need him i just want to cry...good news is hes got pro athlete doctors repairing him this time, not those regular scrub surgeons lol

steelerfan11
07-30-2008, 07:48 PM
he hasn't been placed on the IR...maybe he will be able to come back this season still...

steelcityrockers
07-30-2008, 10:56 PM

Barr was absolutely terrible last year. I am not a fan of Ernster. Heis not all that good. It is my wish that whoever gets cut by the Patriots (Chris Hansen or Scott Player...check me on that) will be signed by the Steelers. Both are veteran guys who have had some success, plus Scott Player has three great things going for him:
1. Last name is Player
2. Has a single bar on his helmet
3. Has a handle bar mustache.

Yes this injury sucks. I don't want to see another Gardocki-esque year. *shudders*

K Train
07-30-2008, 11:59 PM
lol, cant argue with that logic...

id rather go for it on 4th down than have ernster or gardocki and im not kidding

steelcityrockers
07-31-2008, 12:06 AM
I will tend to agree with you. Gardocki sucks and it is really annoying when everytime he comes up the announcers have to remind us that he has never had a punt blocked. Whiptee-freaking-doo. Ernster is a strictly average punter. What you see is what you get. He will hit some nicely, and he might struggle a bit too. This concerns me much, much more than Hampton being 356,056,121 pounds or Sweed having cramps, or Willie Reid trying not to get cut (no f*cking sh!t)

Black@Gold Forever32
07-31-2008, 12:08 AM
I will tend to agree with you. Gardocki sucks and it is really annoying when everytime he comes up the announcers have to remind us that he has never had a punt blocked. Whiptee-freaking-doo. Ernster is a strictly average punter. What you see is what you get. He will hit some nicely, and he might struggle a bit too. This concerns me much, much more than Hampton being 356,056,121 pounds or Sweed having cramps, or Willie Reid trying not to get cut (no f*cking sh!t)

By the way Gardocki has never had a punt blocked....:lol: All we need is Matt Jones the greatest player ever...I'm sure he could punt the ball 80 yards or the length of the whole damn field....:yesnod:

K Train
07-31-2008, 12:12 AM
matt muthafukin jones!!! how could i forget??????? he can take sweeds place AND punt

abejota88
07-31-2008, 12:16 AM
Hey.... iīve played some soccer here in Uruguay.... i know how to kick a ball.... can anyone please contact the Rooneys and tell them i am available?
I also play Nose Tackle for the Uruguayan Football team (Watch out Hampton) and play Center for my team "Celtas" here in Uruguay.
They would be getting three players on one!
LOL
Getting seious now... I really like Sepulveda... i just hope we bring some decent punter for this year... it wouldn`t bother me to see Gardocki again, he may not have a great leg, but he is dependable... i prefer his "No punts blocked" even if they fall short... ayway..... itīs not that he would be that much time on field with our 2008 offense :P

steelcityrockers
07-31-2008, 11:17 AM
My prlem with Gardocki is the fact that he can't punt a ball 40 yards add that to our less-than-good coverage teams and the outcome is not good.

K Train
07-31-2008, 11:30 AM
we need to check out australia or europe and find some dude with a leg and talk him into retiring from soccer

Black@Gold Forever32
07-31-2008, 01:06 PM
we need to check out australia or europe and find some dude with a leg and talk him into retiring from soccer

Thats a good idea.........I don't want Gardocki or the bum the Steelers signed...

JensK
07-31-2008, 02:11 PM

Convert Morten Andersen to a punter imo!

steelcityrockers
07-31-2008, 02:40 PM
Even though he has not had the best of careers, why are we so quick to label Ernster as a bum? There is not a whole lot of other options anyway...

25MVPKing
07-31-2008, 10:45 PM
God, I miss a day of camp news, and I find out this!

Sepulveda had a solid rookie campaign and our coverage team has been horrible recently. (Not to mention all the muffs on the receiving side of it.)

This may not be the "biggest" injury in terms of name or position, but depending on who we pick up to replace Sepulveda this could be extremely costly. If our OLine continues to struggle, we'll be losing lots of yards on special teams.

steelcityrockers
07-31-2008, 11:29 PM
UPDATE:

The Steelers have worked out Scott Player today. And fu<k a duck if they didnt sign him. I think they signed Drummond instead...ewww.

K Train
08-04-2008, 09:17 PM
the redskins are currently locked in a punter battle between frost and brooks, both of whom seem to be pretty equal....maybe we pick up the loser of that battle lol

Black@Gold Forever32
08-04-2008, 09:21 PM
the redskins are currently locked in a punter battle between frost and brooks, both of whom seem to be pretty equal....maybe we pick up the loser of that battle lol

Lets just find the best option for this year.....Next year the new punter will be gone when D-Sep is healthy...Hopefully he doesn't tear his ACL for a third time....:crossfingers:

I thought he was on his way to becoming one of the NFL's best punters this year....Well its on hold for a year......lol

steelcityrockers
08-04-2008, 09:21 PM
I think that would be Derrick Frost. Durant Brooks has a heck of a leg. Frost is ok. Better than Ernster, but not by enough where it would influence them to dump Ernster for him. I still want Scott Player.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-04-2008, 09:38 PM
I think that would be Derrick Frost. Durant Brooks has a heck of a leg. Frost is ok. Better than Ernster, but not by enough where it would influence them to dump Ernster for him. I still want Scott Player.

Player has the track record of all the mentioned punters in this thread.....I wouldn't be against signing him at all....I'm still hoping the Steelers won't need to use the punter much this year.....They will have to punt at times of course.....But I'm hoping this offense proves to be one of the best in the NFL.....Which I think they have the potential to be.....

Zachintosh66
08-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Yeah I would be surprised if this was the ONLY punter we gave a look to from here on out.

steelcityrockers
08-05-2008, 07:29 PM
They did work out Player, but signed Damned Eddie Drummond.