PDA

View Full Version : Davenport finally gets playing time but overall our running game is too inconsistent.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-08-2006, 11:00 PM
He made a couple nice runs, and was even returned a punt in the 4th quarter. Looks like BC is finally trying to see what he can do. For his first game, he made some nice things happen and ran hard. Hopefully he can build on that and get more playing here and there.

We're still just too inconsistent in running the ball. One drive we're on the ball and stuffing it down their throats eating up yardage, then the next drive we cant get out of our own way. We've got to be more consistent if Ben is to continue getting back to being Ben.

G89Newitt13
10-08-2006, 11:37 PM
yeah well...everyone has to start contributing..or we will not make the playoffs...its not just one part of the team anymore

BBG7
10-08-2006, 11:41 PM
I thought Davenport looked pretty decent. It just wasn't enough tonight.

Steelersfan
10-09-2006, 12:33 AM
The running game will be up and down all the time with a back like Parker taking the majority of the carries. Now I'm not putting him down. I like Willie. I just don't like him being our main back. Willie has game breaking speed but so did Barry Sanders and what did he ever win? Nothing but rushing titles. These type of backs don't carry teams. They compliment the team like Willie did last year. There was a reason BC kept putting Bettis in late to close the games out. Those 4-5 yd runs eat the clock up and keep the chains moving.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2006, 12:48 AM
Im under the thinking that BC always used Bettis late in the game last year in particular is not only becuase he's an awesome HOF back, the best in STeeler history IMO, a strong powerful guy that movtivates everyone around him; but also because he had fresh legs after Willie had been kicking it all 3 quarters and having fresh legs late in the game is always a plus, especially when it was Jerome.

I don't have a problem with Willie as our starter, but what I do have a problem with is not having a viable backup to compliment Willie and not having an OL to give that extra push late in the game to keep the heat off the QB and open up holes for whoever is carrying the ball. Our OL isn't taking control and man handling the defense's front line like they have in the past. Quite simply our OL and running game is not being the intimidating force we're used to seeing.

BBG7
10-09-2006, 01:08 AM
I agree TG. Willie would do fine if we had that power backup like we are used to. Bettis was a great change of pace guy and he was able to wear down the opponents.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2006, 01:09 AM
Najeh showed some promise tonight. If we can get him going and keep him healthy it could really be a good combo for us.

Steelersfan
10-09-2006, 01:33 AM
I guess I should have used a better word than "main" back. I wasn't talking about him starting but more carrying the ball %90 of the time. As many times that Staley, Bettis and Verron came in to spell Parker last year helped keep them all fresh. They all played a role and we don't have anywhere near that this year.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2006, 01:41 AM
You're exactly right. Ive never known a Steeler team to be unprepared in the running game. We've played musical backup RB's all year and its coming back to bite us in the *** just like we all figured it would.

Steelersfan
10-09-2006, 01:43 AM
If we can see it you have to wonder what the coaching staff was looking at....lol

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2006, 01:45 AM
I swear they never give us fans enough credit. Why is it more times than not we can spot an issue before they admit it's an issue.

BBG7
10-09-2006, 02:00 AM
If we can see it you have to wonder what the coaching staff was looking at....lol

I am always saying that. Sometimes I wonder what they are looking at!!!

K Train
10-09-2006, 06:37 PM
Davenport was running with a fire under his ***, he looked good, i cant belive they put the big guy back on a kick return...he tore it up on it to, i was impressed.

Koopa
10-09-2006, 07:03 PM
i didn't really get to see him, i had just got in the door when he made that nice run after a catch, and i missed the return cause i was typing post, and i saw him get shut down on a 3rd and 1 i guess it was....but i hope he gets more carries, him and willie could be good together....to bad it's only one year, cause i know if dookie has a good season he's gonna bolt

SteelerFan87
10-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Davenport looked pretty good, but he only got 2 runs and 1 screen pass. Parker was averaging 4 yards per carry, but he only got 14 carries. And so, yet again, Ben threw 30+ times. Considering how much Ben has been struggling, WHY THE HELL DID THEY LET HIM THROW 30 TIMES AGAIN?!?!

Black@Gold Forever32
10-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Now thats a good question. Bill Cowher cracks me up anymore. When the Steelers were playing great the last two years. The Steelers coaching staff babied Ben Roethlisberger the last two years. Now the Steelers are struggling and the coaches just let Ben fire the ball all game. Its stupid and makes no sense. Thats why I think Bill Cowher really has lost some of his passion for the game and will retire after this year.

Prosdo
10-10-2006, 09:05 AM
I still am puzzled by why we didn't draft a big back. It seemed like a big need. Davenport looked good and I hope he can help out. We can't rely on just Willie. Don't get me wrong I like Willie. We just need someone who can move the pile.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Now thats a good question. Bill Cowher cracks me up anymore. When the Steelers were playing great the last two years. The Steelers coaching staff babied Ben Roethlisberger the last two years. Now the Steelers are struggling and the coaches just let Ben fire the ball all game. Its stupid and makes no sense. Thats why I think Bill Cowher really has lost some of his passion for the game and will retire after this year.

This is what puzzles me too..the team says they want to open it up and let Ben loose to make things happen, but at this point in time with all that has happened its obviously not the right time. Having a struggling QB tossing the rock a 100 times a game when you have several perfectly good RB's there to help him out just doesnt make any sense. One series we run it great, then the next we can't run at all. We need to have a nice mix, just like last year, where both Ben and Willie can get into the rythmn of the game. Instead we've digressed back to the Neil O'donnell years where its run, run, pass, punt. :banging:

AZ_Steeler
10-10-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm just glad to finally see him get some carries! I was getting damn tired of seeing someone that is suppose to help the running game not even get a carry or two! I like what I saw from him and hopefully it's something that he can build on over the course of the next few weeks.

suitanim
10-10-2006, 08:37 PM
It was probably the gameplan, which, once again, if executed properly, would have won the game. Until we start executing, I don't care if we run triple reverses every play all game. OL needs to block, and if we can't establish that simple building block of offense, everything else is just a dream.

I was encouraged by Davenport, though. Love to see that "Thunder and Lightning" thing...ain't happening with the OL play we've got now, though...