PDA

View Full Version : Daily training camp updates...

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
07-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Latrobe, Pa. - Ben Roethlisberger might not have been pleased with the performance of the offense in their first practice of training camp, but head coach Mike Tomlin was happy at the end of the first day.

“We had a very productive start,” said Tomlin. “I think the excellent condition of the football team showed up. I liked the way the guys ran on both sides of the ball. I liked the way they finished. That’s always a great start.

“It’s far from perfection, but that is what day one is about. There was great enthusiasm, great communication. Guys were verbal today. Overall there was good hustle.”

Tomlin understands why some of the players were a bit frustrated with how things went on day one, but he said that is natural at the start of camp and isn’t anything to worry about.

“At this time of year you are always going to be less than satisfied with your performance,” said Tomlin. “If you were ready to go this wouldn’t be a necessity. We are not going to be perfect and some of the things that we stressed today did not have to deal with perfection. It was about communicating, it was about hustling and it was about finishing.

“I was pleased from that standpoint. Assignment-wise and execution-wise we are miles away, but so is everybody that we are competing against at this time of year.”

Roethlisberger isn’t worried either. He knows it was just day one and that they will work out all of the kinks in the next few days

“It’s a bunch of little things because it was the first day, first day getting out here,” said Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger was impressed with the performance of running back Rashard Mendenhall in his first day, including how he is already working into the passing game. He also likes what he sees overall from what the offense can do.

“We are really young on offense and that is part of the excitement,” said Roethlisberger. “Some people might look at it and be a little nervous. I like the young attitude that we have and I think that we can be very good.”
~~ from www.steelers.com~~~

Some good news out of camp, seems like everyone was dwelling on Hampton and Troy's situation,This team is looking good so far.If you look at Indy who has Peyton Manning,Marvin Harrison,Dwight Freeney and Bob Sanders already on the PUP, we aren't looking too bad!:yellowthumb:

steelcitysfinestXL
07-29-2008, 11:31 AM
good read Peezy. I would really like to know who is lining up where on the first teams!

steelerschick1220
07-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Good to know. I am sure that we will have everything worked out by opening sunday.

lightningrod
07-29-2008, 12:22 PM

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Monday, July 28, 2008
Afternoon delight - by: Dale Lolley
from NFLonthesidelines

Either LaMarr Woodley is going to be a beast this season or the Steelers' offensive line - and right tackles in particular - really stinks.

Woodley was unblockable in the one-on-one drills this afternoon by either Willie Colon or Max Starks.

Neither is going to be a Pro Bowler anytime soon, but they are legitimate NFL offensive linemen. So maybe Woodley is just that damn good.

I spoke with the second-year linebacker after practice and he's really raring to go this season after languishing on the bench a bit last season as a backup to Clark Haggans (?).

I know. Haggans had one of the least productive seasons of any outside linebacker in the past 15 seasons for the Steelers. And for whatever reason, they still kept running him out there.

That won't be the case this season and Woodley is going to put up monster numbers.

Somebody else who stood out this afternoon was second-year defensive lineman Ryan McBean.

They were using McBean on punt coverage and he was really getting down the field well for a 290-pounder. This team hasn't had a young defensive lineman to use as a wedge buster the past couple of seasons, but McBean could be that guy.

Rookie running back Rashard Mendenhall shows good learning ability. After being beaten a couple of times in backs-on-backers blocking, the No. 1 pick picked up his game after that and stoned some guys.

He looks good with the ball in his hands, too, slipping through holes.

Posted by Dale Lolley at 5:57 PM

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
Here is an excerpt from the SteelersLIVE 'Xtra practice report from this afternoon.

Woodley made a nice inside move to spin around Colon and get the sack. Later in the drill, Colon was beaten badly by Woodley, which prompted Tomlin to yell for the two to go at it again. But the third time was not a charm for Colon. After an offsides penalty by Woodley, which elicited a tongue-lashing from line coach John Mitchell, he eventually got past Colon for a late sack.

Starks didn't play much better against Woodley, who got to the passer two of three times. On another occasion, Woodley jumped offsides to negate the sack, according to Mitchell. But Starks was too slow to stop Woodley consistently.

In one-on-one matchups, Chris Hoke beats Mahan badly. ... Simmons stands up Aaron Smith for a bit, then holds him. ... Smith does a nice job against Brett Keisel. ... Essex handles Travis Kirschke. ... Mahan held his own against Scott Paxson. ... Simmons and Nick Eason had a lot of hand-fighting in a stalemate, which goes to the O-line. ... Hills was schooled by Harrison, and Tomlin asked them to do it again. So, Harrison did and bull-rushed Hills right into the quarterback. ... On the third rush, Harrison easily went around Hills and leaped into the arms of assistant O-line coach Harold Goodwin. ... Lentz stuffed Ryan McBean on three straight plays. ... And Hartwig stopped Martavius Prince, a rookie from Southern Mississippi.

SteelersfaninPhilly
07-29-2008, 12:24 PM
In one-on-one matchups, Chris Hoke beats Mahan badly. ...

Geez what a shock :lol:

LatrobePA
07-29-2008, 12:28 PM
In one-on-one matchups, Chris Hoke beats Mahan badly. ...

Geez what a shock :lol:

LOL, this guy is a CHUMP!! CUT HIS ***!

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Im so impressed with Wood, this guy is going to be a freekin monster for us. Granted neither Starks nor Colon can be mistaken for a pro bowler at this point but still, for 2nd year guy Lamarr is just beginning to tap his potential.

steelerfan11
07-29-2008, 01:33 PM
This is from http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/

My source tells me the battle at center is looking decidedly in Sean Mahan's favor after the first day of practice. Mahan took the majority of snaps with the first team, while Justin Hartwig only working with the first team for about three snaps in each of the teams two sessions. This doesn't mean things won't change in the coming weeks but it appears the Steelers are giving Mahan every chance to retain his starting spot.

hopefully they are wrong and Mahan isn't the starting Center...but then again this was only after the first day of training camp...we still have a lot longer to go!

HUNT4SEVEN
07-29-2008, 01:55 PM
LOL, this guy is a CHUMP!! CUT HIS ***!
yea what an waste of big money, the rooneys slept on this one:cursin::cursin::scratch:

steelerfan11
07-29-2008, 02:27 PM
"In terms of defensive backs, Bryant McFadden and Anthony Smith are day-to-day.

Both are out with groin injuries. " From kdka.com

Also, TIOPS wrote that Wexell said that Hampton weights around 365lbs. There are more updates on http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/ about the morning practices.

K Train
07-29-2008, 02:43 PM
i want some sweed and timmons updates

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2008, 05:51 PM
* 3:32 p.m. Anthony Smith and Bryant McFadden are not practicing today. Both are believed to be hindered by a hamstring or groin pull. This is a good chance for William Gay to step up as he will get reps against the 1st team.

* 3:00 p.m. first unit (O-Line) for afternoon session - LT Smith, LG Essex, C Mahan, RG Simmons, RT Colon are running with the first team for the second consecutive day.

Morning Session
The Steelers worked on special teams this morning. Running back Mewelde Moore appears to be the #1 kick returner going into the season. Insiders have been raving about him since the OTA's. Willie Reid also returned kicks and Rashard Mendenhall will get a strong look in camp to return kicks.

Santonio Holmes stated throughout the off-season that he wanted to return punts. Holmes got his wish yesterday and was returning punts but this morning he hinted to people that he may just want to concentrate on pass catching.

Chris Kemoeatu will be out until next week. I'm hearing he should return by next Wednesday. Kemoeatu suffered the injury three weeks ago lifting weights and believed the injury was more serious that it appears now.

Yesterday during the 11 on 11 drills, Holmes, Ward, Washington and Reid were 1-4 on the depth chart. That won't last for long.

Jim Wexell is reporting Casey Hampton showed up to camp weighing 365 lbs.

A Insider has told me he believes the Steelers may have one of the games top linebacking corps.

Check back in the evening for a indepth update from the afternoon session.

This is a real big opportunity for Gay to step up and get some good reps; especially with McFaddens status up in the air contract wise. He showed a lot of promise last year so Im looking for big things from him.

K Train
07-29-2008, 05:55 PM
365...i was damn close lol

notice how it was holmes 1....ward 2.....thats what it is people, ive said it all year long, thats not the part that not gonna last long, thats there to stay....washington 3 and reid 4 is that only part thats gonna change

Troyisabeast_43
07-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Limas Sweed will definitely pass up Willie Reid on the depth chart here sooner rather then later, and if the Steelers I believe are going to get to where they want to go I believe that Sweed needs too and should pass up Nate Washington as the number 3 receiver on the depth chart.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Doesn't much matter whether Hines or Santonio is listed as one; as far as Im concerned they are 1a and 1b. Both of them are crucial to our offense and they'll both be the prime targets with plenty of opportunities each week to make plays.

Reid and Washington, yeah that'll definitely change. It's only week 1 so now's the time experiment and to get all the guys as many reps as possible in drills to see how wants it more.

steelerfan11
07-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Here is what i found on Sweed for you K Train...its all i could find for now.

In the battle for the No. 3 receiver, incumbant Nate Washington and rookie Limas Sweed both scored points Tuesday. Sweed made a beautiful divingcatch on a deep ball down the sidelines that had the crowd cheering. Notto be outdone, Washington made a great leaping catch in the back of theend zone to end the first two-minute drill, beating William Gay and James Farrior. Sweed scored for the second unit, catching a fade pass from Charlie Batch while working against Anthony Madison.

this is from http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/

There is more about the practices on the site also.

[AutoMerged Post Below]

Day 2 - Afternoon session; Bentley a possibility?

According to a source, the longer the Kemoeatu situation drags out, the more the probability rises on LeCharles Bentley. The line has not looked great, according to this source.

Day 2 of training camp saw the Steelers lose their punter, Daniel Sepulveda for the season with a torn ACL in his right (non-kicking) leg.The team signed Paul Ernster, most recently of Detroit, to replace Sepulveda on the roster and Ernster will be in Latrobe Wednesday.Sepulveda tore the same ACL in college at Baylor and will have surgery sometime this week.

It was status quo at center on Tuesday, with Sean Mahan taking the majority of the snaps at center with the first unit. Mahan was beaten badly by Chris Hoke today.

In the battle for the No. 3 receiver, incumbant Nate Washington and rookie Limas Sweed both scored points Tuesday. Sweed made a beautiful divingcatch on a deep ball down the sidelines that had the crowd cheering. Notto be outdone, Washington made a great leaping catch in the back of theend zone to end the first two-minute drill, beating William Gay and James Farrior. Sweed scored for the second unit, catching a fade pass from Charlie Batch while working against Anthony Madison.

James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley looked very good again today. The same can be said for Rashard Mendenhall. He's going to be a special player.

Willie Colon and Max Starks did not perform well in the afternoon session.

A Steelers insider I talked to, indicates If you're looking for a sleeper to make this roster, keep an eye on tight end Cody Boyd, who displayed the best run blocking skills in one-on-one drills at that position Tuesday. Boyd was in camp with the Steelers last year, but was cut. Word is Boyd seems to have taken his blocking to another level and with Jerame Tuman gone, the team may be looking for a third tight end who can block well.

Afternoon information from (TIOPS) http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/

SteelerSteve
07-29-2008, 06:55 PM
Defensively I think were gonna be beastly, and same with offense if we can get some decent blocking

K Train
07-29-2008, 07:00 PM
i love how woodley and harrison just destroy everything in sight. even if its our own ****** oline lol

SteelerSteve
07-29-2008, 07:02 PM
i love how woodley and harrison just destroy everything in sight. even if its our own shiatty oline lol
Yeah, were starting to get some of the attitude that I feel we have been missing the last couple of seasons back on our defense. Thats the one thing that I did kinda miss about Porter. The cool thing about this is that with these big hitting guys like Harrison and Anthony smith, and some of our young guys is that I think we can expect to see more turnovers because of the havoc they'll create in the back field AND the secondary.:cope:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2008, 07:52 PM
i love how woodley and harrison just destroy everything in sight. even if its our own shiatty oline lol

If those 2 play well this year we could see the next version of Lloyd and Green. Lamarr and James are 2 monters who are both compact and strong as hell; the more Wood learns to use his leverage and power the more of a force he'll become. That will definitely help out Harrison who was bound to get every double team available this year if Haggans was still on the roster.

lightningrod
07-29-2008, 08:40 PM
copy/paste from another Forum

(I think this was from Day 1 of Training Camp)

Here it is:

---

1st day of practice blow by blow - long read

I'd like to take credit for this, but I pulled it from another MB. If it's too long, please don't whine about it - just don't read it. I like the detail the guy goes into.

- I see Casey Hampton in a tee shirt. I try real hard not to exaggerate, but anyone who has seen the movie “Wildcats” should picture Finch, and you will know how freakin’ fat he is. He’s got the thunder thighs and spindly calves, so that his knees are pushed together like a fat chick at the mall. His jowls are handing down from his face, and I swear, even his eyelids are fat. Not happy with the first thing I see in camp.

- In the warm-ups, I notice that Dixon throws a sinker. You know what I’m talking about, it’s a beautiful spiral, but the delivery is so overhand and his hands are so big that it nosedives the ball. He’s gonna have to watch that.

- Limas Sweed is asking a lot of questions about where to line up, and Washington is helping him as best as he can. Moving him in or out, depending on the play. Good for Washington.

- The defense across the field is running several crossing stunts, the one they’re working on this morning is to overload the left and stunt Woodley inside with the ILB swinging around the outside. Right away I can tell that the defensive practice is going smoother than the offensive.

- Max Starks comes out and is the starting right tackle, he looks as slim as I’ve seen him. Hope that’s good news for him.

- Across the field, the defense is running the middle blitz over and over. Might be something the personnel offer this year. Curious to see Timmons in action.

- Ben has hit his first 5-7 passes in stride. He looks better than I’ve ever seen him. No worries about the Qb spot as long as he’s healthy,.

- Potts hits Anthony Trucks over the middle with a nice pass, but Potts looks stiff. He doesn’t look to be in the same league athletically as Ben, Dixon or Batch.. Still, it was a nice effort and he works hard. We’ll see if he gets paid off for it.

- Nice pass on the tight end hook to Spaeth. Damn, this guy looks surprisingly smooth. He has a great awareness of where the defenders are and he comes back for the ball very well.

- Mendenhall makes his fist appearance and catches a swing out pass in which he drifts out to the flat them runs an in-pattern about 5 yards down field. He makes the catch, but I hear a bit of a “slap” when the ball hits his hands. His hands aren’t as soft as we were lead to believe.

- Ben hits Miller with a nice flare out to the right. Miller makes an over-the-shoulder catch over the outside shoulder on a perfectly thrown ball then cuts it upfield and looks good doing it. They seem to be concentrating on the short stuff to the backs and the tight ends. No question as to whether or not Ben and Miller are on the same page. They are.

- They switch drills and now they have the special teams firing off the line in coverage with nobody across from them. As for shear quickness off the line, Woodley is the quickest off on the first group.

- Ryan McBaen is the quickest off the line in the second group.

- Dezmond Sherrod is quickest off the line in the next group.

- Gary Russell is doing a good job of spring down field in the drill as is Mike Humpal.

- Micah Rucker and Matt Spaeth are the slowest ones getting off the line, as though they don’t want any part of this. (either that, or they are really slow getting out of their stance)

- They have the punt returners catching balls. Holmes makes the smoothest catches out of all of them.

- Mewelde Moore is making the catches, but you hear the ball slapping against the pads when he does. I’m a bit nervous here. I was expecting him to be the punt returner.

- Hold the bus. Willie Reid actually looks good making the catches. Could it be that he has seen the light?

- They have Ryan McBean running down on punt coverage, and he looks to be a little stiffer than his 230 pound counterparts, but he is the most powerful guy they have covering punts. Remember Orpheus Roye and his wedge busting? This may be the second coming. Of course, he needs to play the d-line first.

- Jonathan Dekker is working real hard at downfield blocking on punts. I wish the rest of our guys worked this hard.

- Batch hits Mewelde Moore on a screen, and it’s immediately evident why they got Moore. He squats real nicely in the pocket and he’s really hard for the defenders to see. Then he turns is up-field quickly and goes for daylight. Moore’s a nice addition.

- I’m watching the QB’s go though their fakes before passing the ball, and Ben goes through the fake and sells it much better than any of the other QB’s. He gets a high shoulder lift after the handoff, and it really looks like he’s got the ball and gonna throw it. I can’t help but see Kenny Anderson in those mannerisms. If Anderson is good for nothing else, he has made Ben’s fakes top-notch.

- Dezmond Sherrod makes a nice catch on a button-hook. He’s playing well.

- Ben hits Carey Davis out of the backfield in the hands, and Davis bobbles the ball. Turns what could have been a 10 yard gain into a 2 yard gain.

- Billy Lasko tries hard when he’s coming out of the backfield, but he looks really stiff when he’s trying to turn around to catch the ball. Really stiff.

- The tight ends are trying to block, and Cody Boyd looks to be the worst blocking tight end we have. He has his arms way too extended, and he’s just leaning on the defender, trying to push him out of the way.

- Dezmond Sherrod makes a nice block in the blocking drills. Gets his hands under the pads nice and firmly, and drives his man.

- They have the blocking racks set out with a blocking sled at the end of the chute. If you’ve never seen these racks, they are a little like bicycle racks, only they are chutes low enough to force the blocker to fire out low. Spaeth is topping out every time he fires out. He is hitting the top and it’s messing up his blocks. He needs to somehow learn to keep his asss down.

- Justin Vincent looks great catching the ball over the middle. Who knew?

- Sherrod looks better than everyone except Miller at firing out of the chute and hitting the sled. Whoever the hell this guy is, he’s making a serious attempt at making the team.

- The passing phase turns to the throw-it-behind-the-receiver drill. Sweed makes a nice catch on a ball behind him. He looks to be more flexible than the other receivers (other than Holmes, who is head and shoulders that best athlete on the field. He can make his body do whatever the hell he wants)

- Willie Reid bobbles a ball thrown behind him. He is making very solid catches on the balls that have him squared up to the QB or going across the field, but sideline stuff is definitely not his forte.

- Jeremy Bloom is no receiver. I lost count at 8 balls in a row bobbled. It’s not the passes where he is facing the Qb that are a problem for him, he seems to do okay with those. But when he’s asked to run down field on something like a fly, out or post pattern, he consistently bobbles the ball. He will either make this team, strictly as a punt returner because he is THAT much better than the other returners we have, or he will not be on the team, because he is no receiver. If we were in a crunch, and needed him to step in, I would assume the game was lost.

- Heath Miller fires out and hits the sled with authority. Sorry if I don’t give more reports of what Miller’s doing. Just assume that, whatever it is, he is doing it right, and doing it better than anyone on the team. I want to concentrate on the ones who are in question.

- The running backs go down to the right end of the field for foot-quickness drills. Believe it or not, Mendenhall has the quickest feet of any of them in the short shuttle where they quick-step through the cones. Mewelde Moore is a close second.

- Moore is the quickest in cutting drills when the spread the drills apart a bit and have them run full speed and zig-zag through. Parker looks a bit awkward. Even more than he used to. I believe he’s not 100% yet.

- Meanwhile, in the passing drills, Willie Reid is pulling in everything thrown his way. I have to confess that I thought Reid was gonna be one of the first cuts, but he looks to be the most improved player on the roster, and right now, I’d say he is the 3rd receiver. Will wonders never cease?

- Sweed is running the routes, I suppose, but they ain’t pretty. Not only that, but his hands aren’t the softest I’ve seen. He is the diametric opposite of Bloom. He makes the catches over his shoulder like the fly and post look easy, smooth as butter. But when he tries to hook or cut in, not only does he run a very awkward route, his hands stiffen up and he gets nervous. He likes to take it down field, but doesn’t seem to like it over the middle. He looks to be in a battle for the fourth receiver at this time, nit the third. So, if you have him on your fantasy team, I’d think about dropping him, because he’s not gonna do us much good, other than Hail-Mary type situations, until the 6-8th week of the season.

- Holmes is ridiculously quick at stopping and turning. I don’t know who the hell can cover him outside of the elite five or six corners in this league. I know I complained about his complaint about practice…forget it. He’s in GREAT shape, and he’s amazing. If only the rest of our guys were in this good of shape.

- Reid catches another one on a curl. He’s looking like a Steeler version on Welker right about now. I still can’t get over the transformation. Whatever he did in the off season, I wish he’d drop some on Washington.

- We move to the TE & RB blocking the LB drill. Arnold Harrison rips by Jonathan Dekker with a rip move. Dekker’s arms seem too weak to handle a strong rip.

- Donovan Woods does a great swim move to blow by Parker. Not exactly what I was hoping for, since Willie’s gonna have a lot of blocking to do this year.

- Carey Davis stoned Patrick Bailey who tried a swim move and wound up getting rolled 5 yards down field by the rib.
- Gary Russel drove Anthony Trucks to the ground. Trucks tried to rip around Russel and got caught off balance.
- Harrison owned Sherroz. Blew by him like he wasn’t even there.
- Frazier beat Lasko with an outside speed rush.
- Hmm, Mendenhall stoned Foote. Got under his pads nicely and stood him up.
- Farrior beat Justin Vincent with a speed rush. Vincent just couldn’t lift his feet quickly enough to slide out to meet him.
- Arnold Harrison bull rushed Parker and had him going backwards on roller skates.
- Carey Davis stoned Donovan Woods. Caught his square in the chest and stood him up. I’m not a big Davis fan, but that was a nice block.

- Over on the passing drills, Dallas Baker made a wonderful catch on a ball that Batch threw way high. Fifteen yards down field, Baker skied in the seam and snagged it out of the air. The ball would have been intercepted had he not caught it.

- Back on the blocking drills, Harrison bull rushes Dekker and drives him right back into the QB. I don’t think Dekker has the leverage to get down as low as Harrison is coming in. I think it’s a problem if Dekker is expected to block shorter LB’s.

- Mendenhall gives up a good bit of ground on an Arnold Harrison bull rush, but eventually stiffens and holds his ground. Probably more ground given up than you like to see. But his balance when he’s blocking is impressive.

- Mewelde Moore stones Larry Foote. Foote thought he could plow over Moore, I suppose because Moore is small, but Moore gets good leverage underneath and actually got Foote off his feet a bit. Perfect form.

- Humpal tries tossing Russel aside, but Russel holds his ground and stops Humpal dead in his tracks.

- Andre Frazier fakes outside, then bull rushes Billy Lasko. A bit embarrassing for Lasko. It was ugly. He ended up flailing in the dust.

- Timmons absolutely rolls Mendenhall. Timmons got his arm under Mendenhalls, and picked him up them bull rushed him, just carrying him into the backfield.

- Arnold Harrison puts a wonderful spin move on Justin Vincent. Best spin move of anyone on the team.

- And we move on to the 1st scrimmage of the evening:

- 1st play: Ben drops back, Woodley blows right by Colon and Aaron Smith bull rushes Simmons to collapse the pocket. Ben doesn’t have time to get his last step in before the play is over. Sack.

- 2nd play: Ben almost drops back, Woodley blows right by Colon. Play is over before it started. Jesus H. Christ. What the hell is Woodley doing? It’s difficult to see how he’s getting in so quickly. I’ve never seen anything like this.

- 3rd play: Timmons stunts around the left tackle and is in before the play starts. Left tackle was engaged with the end, and there was nobody there to block Timmons.

- 4th play: Ben drops back and gets a nice pocket. Sweed has a step down the right sideline, the pass is nice and high, just right. McFadden tips it away at the last second with one of those leaping swats where his legs are spread out, the left arm is out and the right hand reaches up and tips it away by a fingernail. Beautiful play by McFadden. Seed MAY have had that ball, if he’d come back for it a bit. He may have underestimated McFadden’s recovery speed.

- 5th play: The offense tries to dump it out into the flat to Spaeth, but Timmons is there just as the ball arrives with great reaction, and puts a lick on Spaeth just to let him know he’s there. Timmons is quietly letting the offense know to stay away from his side.

- 6th play: Willie Reid comes out of the slot and beats Deshea for a nice ten yard curl. Is this the same freakin’ Willie Reid? I take back everything I said about him.

- 7th play: Donovan Woods blows right up the middle (can’t tell who’s fault) and snuffs the play out before it starts. Dixon is in now, and he trows into triple coverage anyway.

continued...

(post was too long, I'll cut it in 2)

lightningrod
07-29-2008, 08:47 PM
continued...

(Part 2)

- 8th play: Martavious Prince throws his man aside and is in the backfield before the pass can get off.

- 9th play: Finally Ben has a nice pocket and throws a pretty 10 yard in to Cody Boyd.

- 10th play: Marvel stones Keisel and Ben has some nice time to throw a 15 yard out to Ward. At this point, I can confidently say that Marvel is back. He’s just a touch rusty, but he is back and we have a left tackle again. That part of the line won’t be a problem, it will be the right side. And, Kemo is not playing at this point. Not sure why. In his place, my arch nemesis, Trai Essex actually looks pretty good. He looks to have finally lost the baby fat, looks stronger, and seems to be more focused. Is it a contract year?

- 11th play: Safety blitz over the right tackle, Max Starks at this point, gets to the QB before the play can get off.

- 12th play: Ike has Holmes covered, Deshea has Ward covered. Ben throws it away. That’s twice Ben has thrown it away. Let’s hope the Kenny Anderson teachings are taking effect.

- That’s it for this edition of the scrimmage. They move back to punt returns. Holmes shows off with a one-handed catch of a punt, looking back at Reid as he does it. Showoff.

- Closer to us, they are practicing the punt coverage. Keyaron Fox is almost un-blockable. This guy’s the best special team coverage guy on the team. He is agile and quick, and the defenders can’t get in front of him.

- As far as catching the punts, Holmes easily has the best hands and the most speed, not to mention he’s the most daring of the prospective return men. Mewelde Moore is steady, returns it well, and has a nice low center of gravity, but not that much speed. Reid is catching it as well as Moore is, and he has more speed, but he seems to be a little more erratic on the returns. I wonder if he won’t try some side-to-side stuff that will cost yards. Bloom is the most intriguing. He is easily the quickest of the return guys, a little jitterbug. But, in order to keep Bloom, we would have to keep a full regimen of receivers on hand besides him, because he’s not gonna be much help if we’re shot on receivers.

- Timmons is giving the punt return blockers fits. He’s too strong and shifty for them to block.

- Ryan McBean is used as a punt return blocker and he does a great job, driving Jonathan Dekker out of the play by overpowering him.

- Next scrimmage:

- Play #1: Ben hits Willie on a quick screen on the left side and Marvel and Essex open a nice hole. Willie look okay hitting the hole, but he doesn’t have that extra gear he had in 2005. He better get it back before the start of the season, because Mendenhall is the most pro-ready back I’ve seen at these practices since I started coming here, and I go back to the days of Sydney Thornton. Everyone may assume Willie is the starter, but I don’t think Mendenhall is ready to concede that just yet. If Willie doesn’t get that extra burst back, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Mendenhall start right away. He sees the hole better than Willie, He cuts better than Willie, he has a better lean to the end of his runs (remember that Barry Foster lean that got a couple extra yards at the end of runs?), and he’s a better blocker. Willie is faster, that’s what he has.

- Play #2: Farrior has perfect coverage on Washington on a 10 yard in. Ben throws it at their feet.

- Play #3: Woodley fakes outside, then slaps Colon on the shouler to get him leaning out and blows right by him on the inside. Play over. Colon actually falls down on the play, he’s faked out so bad.

- Play #4: Handoff left, but Andre Frazier fills the hole immediately and stuffs it at the line of scrimmage.

- Play #5: Ben (and everyone else) sees that Roy Lewis is out to the side, one-on-one against Holmes. Holmes fakes him out of his jock with a head fake outside, then runs a 15 yard crossing pattern and Ben hits him in stride.

- Play #6: Spaeth shakes Foote loose on a 6 yard slant, and Ben hits him in stride. Good thing it was a short pass, because Timmons drove Starks into the backfield and had shaken by throwing him aside.

- Play #7: Hartwig picks up the blitz in the middle beautifully, and Baker makes a sweet catch on a 10 yard crossing pattern four feet over his head.

- Play #8: Mendenhall runs right and cuts through a tiny slit of a hole between Simmons and Colon, and puts on a couple fakes that buckle the linebacker’s knees.

- Play #9: Starks doesn’t pick up the corner blitz over RT, and Batch checks down nicely to Lasko, but Lasko drops the ball.

- Play #10: Mixup on the line, nobody blocks McBride and he’s in on the QB before the play gets started.

- 7 on 7 drills:

- Ben hits miller over the middle with Frazier draped all over Miller in mice coverage 15 yards down field.

- I blow off the 7 on 7 drills and run down to the line drills, one-on-one. Coach Tomlin comes along. He’s obviously interested in the line. He’s glaring at them, and letting them know he’s watching:

- Kirschke tries to throw Essex to the side, but Essex shows very nice form and stones him.

- Eason tries to bull rush Hartwig, but Hartwig gets under his pads and stands him up.

- Hills gets to meet Harrison, and it isn’t pretty. Harrison is by him before Hills can get his knuckles off the ground. Tomlin barks out to try again, and at least Hills gets up before Harrison gets to him, but he still has that baby fat jiggling on his love handles and that rookie look in his eye and Harrison does a rip move and gives us a chuckle by hopping into the arms of Zerlein who is standing back there acting as the QB.

- Woodley punches into Colon, then swims by him effortlessly with the right arm swim over.

- Tomlin tells them to try it again. Woodley blows by Colon again, this time with a rip move under Colon’s right elbow.

- Hartwig stones Ryan McBean. Doesn’t even give an inch. I’m not sure even Hartings was ever this perfect at technique. Wish Hampton was here to give Harwig a real test.

- Tomlin tells them to try again. This time, McBean tries a spin move, but it’s not quick enough and Hartwig shoves him back.

- Martavious Price takes a turn at Hartwig, and Hartwig gets under his pads and straightens him out.

- Jordan Reffert is stoned by Jeremy Parquet

- Tomlin tells them to go again, and this time Reffert jumps offside They have a ball on a stick, and they call out signals. They’re not supposed to move on the signals, just the movement of the ball)

- They try again, and this time Reffert beats Parquet on the outside with a bland “speed” rush. Don’t expect either of these guys to make it.

- Starks comes in to line up against Woodley, and Tomlin announces that this is the matchup he’s been waiting for. Woodley blows right by Starks on the outside. At this point, I know Starks isn’t THAT bad of a pass blocker. He looks good, trimmed down, and he can’t handle Woodley either. I decide that, this first practice, Woodley is the best player on the field.

- Tomlin tells them to go again, and Woodley jumps offside.

- Again, and this time, Woodley gets by Starks with a spin move. Who knew he had one. Woodley attacks the tackles arms so fiercely, and his arms are so powerful and he chops so quickly, I can honestly say we haven’t had a pass rusher like this since Kevin Greene.

- One more time, and again Woodley chops Starks’ arms right out of the way and slides around him in a split second.

- I noticed something during this drill. All the coaches at the other positions give players, the younger players in particular, a lot of one-on-one instruction. Russ Grimm used to give a lot of one-on-one by getting down into the dirt with these guys and demonstrating what he was talking about. What I’m seeing from the Zir man is nothing like that. Yes, he did tell Hills to keep his elbows down and in when he’s setting up so as not to give guys like Harrison an easy target for the rip, but that was the only bit of advice I saw him give. It seems his coaching style is to cheer guys on when they make a mistake and tell them to try harder.

- Last scrimmage:

- Play #1: Ben overthrows Hines. He had time to throw.

- Play #2: Nice trap to the right, Essex pulling opened up a nice hole for Willie who outran Farrior, then cut inside of Carter.

- Play #3: Ben overthrows Holmes deep down the middle. Ike had good covergage on Holmes, and Ben apparently didn’t see Moore who was wide open underneath.

- Play #4: Timmons stunts around the right tackle and is free and clear. Batch has to throw the ball away.

- Play #5: Handoff to Mendenhall over the right guard. Again, Mendenhall cuts back and to his left through a hole he had no business knowing was there.

- Play #6: Moor takes one up the middle for a nice gain. He gets so low when he’s running and gets going north and south so quickly, it’s hard for the defenders to see him.

- Play #7: Russel takes a pitch to the left and cuts it back for a nice gain. The first and second lines are doing a decent job of run blocking. Looks like we’re running a lot of student-body left and right types of runs, rather than offside guards pulling and trapping.

- Play #8: Darnell Stapleton mauls Jordan Reffert and Justin Vincent takes it up the gut for a nice gain.

- Play #9: Starks rolls his man 5 yards off the line, but Carey Davis trips over the grass and falls in the backfield.

- Play #10: Parker sweeps to the right, but Woodley stuffs Colon at the line and throws him aside with ease when the ball carrier gets there. Damn, this guy’s something else.

- Play #11: Ben drops back and has nobody open. Good coverage by our starting secondary. He dumps it into the flat to Spaeth who makes a nice grab, but Harrison is there right away to give him a pop, just to let him know that he would have decked him.

- Play #12: Handoff to Moore, and he slices nicely through the hole between Hartwig and Simmons.

[AutoMerged Post Below]
And here's one more from a different source who was there at the scene:

Dispatch from St. Vincent's: Steelers Training Camp Report

Interesting day, and painful. Not on the field, but I stupidly forgot sunscreen, and now have a very nice burn on the back of my neck. Quick notes:

- Nate Washington looked awesome. Really awesome. He caught everything thrown his way and made a few spectacular grabs, including an acrobatic TD catch in the back of the end zone on a pass from Ben during the two-minute drill. His mohawk looks pretty good too.

- Limas Sweed impressed as well, catching one deep pass from Charlie Batch after beating two defensive backs (I believe they were Mason and Roy Lewis, but don't quote me, I wasn't taking notes) and another on a fade for a TD during Charlie's two-minute.

- Dallas Baker, Willie Reid, and Micah Rucker all seemed very aware that they are on the bubble, as they were playing hard. All three made some great catches, but Baker in particular dropped a pretty easy pass over the middle. Reid was robbed on a fly route when the CB covering him (I couldn't catch his number) interfered, but he also didn't help himself any by pulling up early on another deep Batch pass.

- Hines, veteran of many a training camp, seemed to play when he felt like it. He sat on a Gatorade cooler during some early drills, but later on was making some rolling catches on low balls. He bungled a beautiful pass from Ben on a post, and promptly dropped and banged out ten push-ups, to the crowd's delight. He's the only person on the field who could get cheers after missing a pass.

- Ben was okay. He underthrow Santonio once (who looked solid as well, working well in traffic) and another gave Deshea Townsend an easy interception on a pass that appeared to be intended for one of the FAs whose names I can't remember. Other than that he looked sharp and comfortable, and very accurate, though he wasn't throwing much deep.

- I have to single out Gerran Walker for making some pretty poor cuts. He's probably one of the first to go, given how on the rest of the receivers were.

- Santonio, Willie Reid, and Jeremy Bloom fielded punts (Sepulveda was not punting today, and Batch was holding for Skippy Reed, which I thought was odd). All three handled every punt cleanly, but on the few return drills they ran, Bloom and Holmes outperformed Reid.

- Dennis Dixon seemed okay, and moved pretty well for a guy with what I thought was a bad injury. He and Mike Potts were the least accurate, not surprisingly, and Potts was the only QB to have to throw a pass away during passing drills. I also caught Dixon using a sidearm delivery once or twice, which is a good way to get the ball swatted down. Potts' footwork looked clean from what I saw, but neither he nor Dixon had enough true dropbacks to get a good handle on that.

- Unfortunately, the pass-blocking drills were on a far field. I couldn't see much of what was going on, but unsurprisingly, the defense appeared to be getting the better of the offense. This was not backs-on-backers by the way, as Parker, Mendenhall, Russell and Davis were all participating in the two-minutes at the time.

- Mendenhall looked as good as you can in a limited-contact rushing drill, running low with good lateral quickness. Parker looked good as well - though he was getting the whistle blown on him a bit earlier than Menthol, on average, he had the longest gain of the afternoon, slipping between the LT and LG and darting to his left for a good fifteen or twenty yards before being run out of bounds by Ty Carter.

- As a side note, Parker was hitting the sled a lot harder than I ever remember him hitting a hole in a game. He and Mendenhall again paced the backs in this easily, especially on second effort, where Carey Davis in particular flagged a bit.

- Where was Mewelde Moore? I saw him hit the sled and catch a few passes, but only in a RBs-only drill. I came to camp looking for him specifically, and I could never find him.

- Skippy looked fine on field goals, but he only got to the 45 before the horn sounded. During warmups he took a few jogging steps and hit what appeared to be a very large, very unamused bear of an assistant coach. He hasn't changed much, in other words.

-During one of these field goal attempts, Batch took the snap and then rolled to his right, hitting Matt Spaeth for a completion.

- Troy appeared to be very interested in the rest of the DBs play, spending most of the day crouching and watching the defensive backfield calmly. Chris K, on the other hand, appeared to be very upset not to be on the field. Or maybe he always looks like that. I didn't see Big Snack, believe it or not. not to say that he wasn't on the field, but I never got a glimpse that I was certain was him (a lot of these big guys look similar from a distance - my mother somehow confused Greg Warren with Ben Roethlisberger momentarily).

SteelerSteve
07-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Great article, God our defense is gonna kill this season:cope::cope::cope:

lightningrod
07-29-2008, 10:07 PM

I just found a Training Camp Youtube clip!

Steelers Training Camp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOz1SwYVVOg

Added: July 29, 2008

Day 1, 2008.

---

I found it linked off this Blog:

http://emptiescrushed.blogspot.com/2008/07/steelers-training-camp-opens.html

---

I found that Blog thru Google Blog Search:

http://blogsearch.google.com/blogsearch?hl=en&q=steelers&um=1&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d

Stlrs4Life
07-29-2008, 10:07 PM

Or, our Offense really blows!

SteelerSteve
07-29-2008, 10:14 PM
Or, our Offense really blows!Thanks for ruining my optimistic attitude A hole :rofl: J/K

LatrobePA
07-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Or, our Offense really blows!

lol, 2nd day of traing camp and our O blows, amazing!!

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2008, 10:40 PM
So far it seems like all the guys are out there taking it seriously and putting their best efforts forward for the coaches. I like how all the positions are looking so far especially the skill positions on offense; although the OL is definitely in a state of flux as guys battle for positions so that will be fun to watch.

Great read, thanks for the 411!!!

SteelerSteve
07-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Yeah, I'm not feeling all that confident about the O-line so far, but I really like what I'm hearing from the skill positions.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-30-2008, 06:10 PM
this is yesterdays afternoon session updates.. http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com

According to a source, the longer the Kemoeatu situation drags out, the more the probability rises on LeCharles Bentley. The line has not looked great, according to this source.

Day 2 of training camp saw the Steelers lose their punter, Daniel Sepulveda for the season with a torn ACL in his right (non-kicking) leg.The team signed Paul Ernster, most recently of Detroit, to replace Sepulveda on the roster and Ernster will be in Latrobe Wednesday.Sepulveda tore the same ACL in college at Baylor and will have surgery sometime this week.

It was status quo at center on Tuesday, with Sean Mahan taking the majority of the snaps at center with the first unit. Mahan was beaten badly by Chris Hoke today.

In the battle for the No. 3 receiver, incumbant Nate Washington and rookie Limas Sweed both scored points Tuesday. Sweed made a beautiful diving catch on a deep ball down the sidelines that had the crowd cheering. Notto be outdone, Washington made a great leaping catch in the back of theend zone to end the first two-minute drill, beating William Gay and James Farrior. Sweed scored for the second unit, catching a fade pass from Charlie Batch while working against Anthony Madison

James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley looked very good again today. The same can be said for Rashard Mendenhall. He's going to be a special player.

Willie Colon and Max Starks did not perform well in the afternoon session.

A Steelers insider I talked to, indicates If you're looking for a sleeper to make this roster, keep an eye on tight end Cody Boyd, who displayed the best run blocking skills in one-on-one drills at that position Tuesday. Boyd was in camp with the Steelers last year, but was cut. Word is Boyd seems to have taken his blocking to another level and with Jerame Tuman gone, the team may be looking for a third tight end who can block well.

3:32 p.m. Anthony Smith and Bryant McFadden are not practicing today. Both are believed to be hindered by a hamstring or groin pull. This is a good chance for William Gay to step up as he will get reps against the 1st team.

3:00 p.m. first unit (O-Line) for afternoon session - LT Smith, LG Essex, C Mahan, RG Simmons, RT Colon are running with the first team for the second consecutive day.

lightningrod
07-30-2008, 07:55 PM
http://stations.espn.go.com/stations/espnradio1250/blog?id=3507954

Training Camp Blog

(good stuff)

steelerschick1220
07-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Our defense, especially Woodley, sounds like it is going to be awesome this year!!!!!!!! I really liked what I read about Mendenhall as well. I hope our o-line isn't as bad as it appeared to be by reading that. All in all, I cannot wait for some Steelers football!!!!!

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
07-31-2008, 11:50 AM
Latrobe, Pa - Linebacker LaMarr Woodley came into training camp last year as a rookie learning a new position and an entire new defense.

This year it’s a totally different story as he comes in as the heir apparent to Clark Haggans at outside linebacker.

“This year I know what to expect going to training camp,” said Woodley. “The first year you come in kind of lost. This year I am prepared. I have a year under my belt and more knowledge of the game.”

Woodley played defensive end at Michigan but the Steelers moved him to outside linebacker after he was drafted. There was plenty to learn and it wouldn’t come overnight.

“All of the language was different and I wasn’t rushing every play,” said Woodley. “I had to learn all of the different pass drops and covering receivers, tight ends and running backs. Playing defensive end I didn’t have to do all of that. Now I am more comfortable with that.”

And with that comfort come high expectations from the coaches and those he is putting on himself.

“Clark was a good player, but I am a good player as well,” said Woodley. “I have to go in there and play the best that I know I can play. I can’t be anybody else but me.

“I set high expectations for myself all of the time. Having others have them for me isn’t a bad thing.”

Woodley, who would like to improve in coverage, knows that will come with experience on the field, something he is looking forward to getting

“Since the end of the season I have been studying the playbook to make sure I come in here and cut back on some of the mistakes,” said Woodley. “You always make mistakes, but I want to cut back.

“I know more of the playbook now. I got the chance to learn about the guys on the team. Everything just went up to another level.”
www.steelers.com

~It's going to be awesome to watch this kid on the field for all the plays this year.Time for teams to start fearing the Black and Gold again.Perfect opportunity for Timmons to start to shine with all the attention on Wood and Silverback.

SteelfordWexler
07-31-2008, 02:20 PM
- I noticed something during this drill. All the coaches at the other positions give players, the younger players in particular, a lot of one-on-one instruction. Russ Grimm used to give a lot of one-on-one by getting down into the dirt with these guys and demonstrating what he was talking about. What I’m seeing from the Zir man is nothing like that. Yes, he did tell Hills to keep his elbows down and in when he’s setting up so as not to give guys like Harrison an easy target for the rip, but that was the only bit of advice I saw him give. It seems his coaching style is to cheer guys on when they make a mistake and tell them to try harder.

This is the most disappointing thing in lightningrod's whole report (great job btw - thanks)
Coach Z isn't getting much love anywhere on the web - his remarks about the line being set didn't help build much confidence either.

The only bright side to what we are seeing from the oline early in camp is that the defense is almost always ahead of the offense this time of year -so it is too early to be super worried. Also, Marvel appears to be healthy again.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-02-2008, 06:06 AM
latest from friday camp notes

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com

Santonio Holmes was MIA because of a death in his family and will be gone until Sunday. That will afford Nate Washington an opportunity to run with the ones in his attempt to hold off rookie Limas Sweed for the No. 3 job.

Washington should be able to do that - at least initially.

Sean Mahan was out with a sore back Friday night, giving Justin Hartwig his first shot to work with extensively with the first-team line.

Hartwig actually looked decent, which means Mahan will likely be back sooner rather than later. That is, after all, how he basically beat out Chukky Okobi last summer. Okobi was injured too much for a true battle for the spot to take place.

Lawrence Timmons was the star of the backs on backers drill. The way he was exploding through would-be blockers, I thought they must have showed him film of Kendrell Bell in his rookie season. Of course Bell was exploding through offensive linemen, not running backs.

It was a former Steelers linebacker reunion as Jerry Olsavsky, Jason Gildon and Kevin Greene were all here Friday night.

Greene has been working with the team's outside linebackers through out camp, while Gildon arrived here to do the same.

Olsavsky is a linebackers coach at Youngstown State and was in town to watch practice.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-02-2008, 11:44 PM
from the Tribune Review... (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers)

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger didn’t finish what he started this afternoon because of a sore groin.

“He can be characterized as day-to-day,” head coach Mike Tomlin said Roethlisberger first experienced soreness in his groin on Friday night during a practice at Latrobe High School’s Memorial Stadium.

He took the morning off on Saturday at St. Vincent College, and then practiced on Saturday afternoon but did not take part in 11-on-11 “team” drills.

We knew he was going to be a little sore coming out. He wanted to give it a go, see if he could get it warm. He did as much as he could do. We exercised a little caution.

• Casey Hampton said he doesn't know when he will start practicing with the Steelers. The veteran nose tackle, who showed up at training camp overweight and was put on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list, sounded like he wouldn't mind one bit if he doesn't practice while the Steelers are at St. Vincent. "Everybody knows I don't like practice anyway," said Hampton, a four-time Pro Bowler. "As long as I'm ready for the first game, it don't even matter. I know how to play football. If it's football that anyone's been worried about, that's the wrong thing to be worried about." If the Steelers don't take Hampton off the PUP list before the start of the regular season, he has to stay on it for a minimum of six weeks.

• Wide receiver Santonio Holmes and center Sean Mahan did not practice Friday. Holmes had a death in the family, and he has been excused until Sunday. Mahan had some back discomfort. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger suffered a slight groin pull during last night's practice. Free safety Anthony Smith tried to practice in the morning, but he could not finish because of a groin problem.

• The Steelers practiced under the lights and in front of a crowd the team estimated at 12,000 at Latrobe High School on Friday. The team drilled there for two hours, marking the first time since training camp started that the team has practiced away from St. Vincent. "Friday night feels like it's back in high school," running back Willie Parker said.

• Parker has logged more than 300 carries in each of the last two seasons. The Pro Bowl running back doesn't expect to get nearly as much work this season, and he doesn't have a problem with that. "It's hard to get 300 carries when you're splitting time," Parker said. "Last year was kind of a disaster getting 300 carries. I think this year will be better." The Steelers took running back Rashard Mendenhall in the first round of this year's draft, and he is expected to assume some of the burden of the running game. There doesn't appear to be a link between the reduced role Parker anticipates having and the broken leg he suffered last December. Parker said he has made a full recovery from the first major injury of his career. The Steelers are bringing him along slowly during preseason practice. "They said they're going to take care of me this training camp," said Parker, who is not sure whether he'll play in the Steelers' first preseason game next Friday, "so they're not going to beat me up that much. I think that's a plus."

BlitzburghRockCity
08-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Gary Russel looked really sharp today, he took a number of passes from Ben during the drills today and turned them into big gainers. He also took some handoffs and was able to move the pile in short yardage drills.

Limas Sweed made some nice catches today as well and took a couple good hits; he left with both knees iced but said he was ok to us fans when practice was over. He was wearing 4 different sets of pads, doing an interview and signing autographs all at the same time. He commented to one of the people close to me that he's never seen anything like the Steeler Nation!

Arron Smith left today with his right up iced up pretty after practice; didn't seem serious at this point atleast.

FWP was making some real nice cuts and moves out there during drills and seemed to hit the holes with authority and power.

Timmons was looking tough during the drills with his unit and seemed to be really firing on all cylinders when his turns came up to hit the sleds.

Chris Hoke is just a monster; the guy is so powerful he damn near picked the sled right up straight up and down when he hit it.

Hampton continues to spend all of practice away from his teammates; running sprints and riding a stationary bike most of the time. The big snack was cool though and said hi when I yelled to him as he walked onto the field.

Matt Speath is larger than life; seeing him stand beside Tyrone Carter it was almost comical :lol:

Today was family day so not many players signed after practice was over. Eddie Drummond and Tony Hills signed my daugthers towel. Also Ryan Clark, Arnold Harrison, DSep, Willie Colon, and Limas Sweed stopped by each for a minute or two. Hills and Drummond by far signed the most near the dorms. Parker, HOlmes, and Ward mostly stayed in the VIP tent from what I understand.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
08-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Defense wins Round 1
By BOB LABRIOLA

Steelers.com

LATROBE – Why would 80-odd adult males get so excited about one drill at the end of a practice on the eighth day of a training camp, with the first real game still 35 days into the future?

“Bragging rights,” said James Farrior.

“It’s fun,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “We have to remember sometimes that this is a game, and these guys love to play this game. It’s great to give them a chance to have some fun.”

The defense had all of the fun at Saint Vincent College on Sunday during the first installment of goal-line, the only live tackling drill at training camp. Tomlin’s version of the drill was as follows: “It’s going to be the best of seven; we’re going to put the ball just outside the 1-yard line and the first group to four wins. It could be four snaps, it could be seven. We’ll see how it shakes out.”

There were the full seven snaps, but when the last one was run the defense already had clinched the win with a 4-2 lead. The defense also won the last one to make the final, 5-2.

“Anytime the defense steps out there and stuffs the first offense three plays in a row to set the tone for the drill, you have to give the win to them,” said Tomlin. “The offense did a nice job of recovering but the defense is the winner.”

Rashard Mendenhall got the first two carries in the drill, and three overall, and he was stopped all three times. Farrior and James Harrison did it the first time; Larry Foote and Ike Taylor took care of him the second time.

“He’s got to run harder, not overanalyze, understand what that drill is about,” said Tomlin. “It’s about hitting it downhill, and hopefully next time out he’ll be better.”

Gary Russell and Justin Vincent scored for the offense, but Vincent’s touchdown was protested by the defensive unit.

“Kevin Jordan, the chaplain, was the line judge,” said Tomlin. “I figured that if you put the chaplain on the line you get less beefs and complaints, and I think it worked out. I’m not going to second-guess the chaplain. He said he scored, so he scored.”

If Vincent got some help from above, Russell looked to be the team’s best option because he is able to get down so low. Of all the current backs on the roster, Russell looks the most like Jerome Bettis down at the goal line.

“He doesn’t over-analyze,” said Tomlin about Russell. “He gets his pads down and he finishes downhill. It’s one of his distinguishing characteristics, and he has value in that regard.”

As for Mendenhall, this was his first time carrying the football in a live tackling drill at the NFL level, and he admitted it was a different experience.

“It was coming fast, man, and that’s what the NFL is,” said Mendenhall. “It was a learning experience and I’m glad I was a part of that. The next time I’ll be a little bit more prepared.”

When asked if the hitting was harder and the intensity higher than anything he had experienced, his answer was matter-of-fact. “Oh, yeah. Just look at James Harrison. I don’t think you find too many college guys looking like that.”

INJURY UPDATE: Ben Roethlisberger (groin) was limited due to a groin, but he did participate in goal-line. Cody Boyd (shoulder) was limited. Mike Humpal (hamstring), Dezmond Sherrod (stiff neck), Anthony Smith (groin) and LaMarr Woodley (groin) did not practice. Tomlin said the team is simply waiting on a piece of protective equipment for Chris Kemoeatu’s triceps before he returns to the field. Tomlin said he expects Kemoeatu to return to the field early this week.

As for Troy Polamalu, Tomlin said, “It could be three days, it could be a week.”

On Casey Hampton: “That process is still running its course,” said Tomlin. “He and I met today, and we’ll continue to move forward, but he’s not where we want him yet.”

~ Hey TG, Did you catch any of that 7 on 7 goal line drill? I'd love to see that live! I love that Mendenhall comment about Silverback..couldn't imagine him coming my way at full speed either.:eek1:

NOVA STEELERS
08-04-2008, 06:32 AM
Defense wins Round 1

~ Hey TG, Did you catch any of that 7 on 7 goal line drill? I'd love to see that live! I love that Mendenhall comment about Silverback..couldn't imagine him coming my way at full speed either.:eek1:

I took 6 shots of the goal line drill, I missed the last attempt cuz I ran out of film :duh: hopefully some nice shots come out, also think I have a nice shot at Nate Washington bringing in a catch :eek1: I know I still can't believe he caught it :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

{STEEL MANIAC}
08-04-2008, 08:05 AM
Lawrence Timmons turning heads and he’s not the only linebacker making an impression!

Lawrence Timmons was the Steelers 2007 #1 draft pick. That’s easy to forget with #2 pick LaMarr Woodley being christened as the ‘next big thing’ when it comes to linebackers for the Steelers. Timmons, drafted as an outside linebacker, wasn’t effective last season due to an early groin injury. It wasn’t long after that Steelers’ coaches realized that Timmons would be most effective as an inside linebacker.

Enter Timmons in 2008. He’s come into camp on a mission. With Larry Foote and James Farrior locked in as the inside linebackers, it doesn’t appear as though Timmons has a chance to take over either job. Don’t tell that to Timmons though, who’s likely played better than both players early on in camp.

Timmons has spent the entire camp going over, around and through everyone that has been put in front of him. Ask rookie tight end Dezmond Sherrod, who made the mistake of getting in the way of Timmons. Timmons went right through the rookie, knocking him out of practice for the rest of the day, and the next day as well. Ask the Steelers’ running backs who were all put on their backs in an impressive display in the same blitz drill. Ironically enough, Willie Parker was the only back that stopped Timmons.

Timmons was given a chance in the starting lineup this week when James Farrior sat out this past Wednesday with, ironically, a sore groin. He looked good, and obviously knew what he was doing. Then came the surprise on Saturday. LaMarr Woodley sat out with, ironically, a sore groin. James Harrison moved over to take Woodley’s slot, and in came Timmons, who is quickly becoming the most flexible linebacker on this unit. He may ultimately prove to be the best. It’s obvious that the Steelers intend on letting Timmons, when he plays, move around the field a bit.

The Steelers’ LB has obviously come into camp ready to prove himself. He was a workout machine in the offseason, and has put on seven extra pounds to play the middle. It’s got to be a bit frustrating listening to the media and coaches talking about LaMarr Woodley as a potential Shawne Merriman clone, when he was drafted behind you at the same position. A player could do one of two things. First, he could give up and get frustrated, like many of today’s prima donnas tend to do. Second, he could use it to motivate, which is obviously what Timmons has done. That’s a good sign for many reasons, least of which is that Timmons may prove to be worth the high pick.

Timmons’ performance is reminding many of a young Kendrell Bell. Bell was drafted by the Steelers in 2001, and burst onto the scene with nine sacks, becoming the AFC’s defensive player of the year. Bell was known for his explosiveness, and his ability to show up all over the field. Bell, during that rookie year, was a finisher, that special player that could go up, around or through you, and then finish the play. Timmons seems to be the same type of player, but bigger and faster. Let’s also hope that Timmons has a sell-by date that’s a lot older than Bell’s, who is currently a free-agent at only 30.

LaMarr Woodley, James Harrison and Bruce Davis have also made some impressions on the Steelers’ coaches, and Kevin Greene, who was in camp last week to help out. Greene seems to have made an impression on Davis, who was playing catch-up early on last week. Davis couldn’t practice at mini-camp because his graduating class hadn’t graduated yet. Tomlin and the staff began riding him, but Davis has come through.

He’s also been in several scuffles this week, including one with his fellow rookie, Tony Hills.

Perhaps the most frustrated of the young linebackers is Mike Humpal, who was making a big impression before he injured his hamstring earlier this week. He’ll need more looks this camp before he makes the team, but he could be an impact player for someone…hopefully the Steelers.

Of course, with a guy like Timmons finally performing, Pittsburgh may not need anyone else.

LatrobePA
08-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Timmons is looking good, but will coach T give him the chance to start? Or does he have his favorites?

steelcityrockers
08-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Nice to see Russel is still impressing. I am still trying to figue out the RB depth chart. Mendenhall will be the top back-up, and MeMo will handle 3rd downs. That is 3 active. 4with Carey Davis. Russel is the best short-yardage runner but it would be stupid to have 5 active RB's on gameday (I am assuming those 5 make the team.) My propisition is cutting Carey Davis because he sucks and the full back is not really necessary in Arians offense.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Yeah Russel was all over the field yesterday, he really seems to be coming into his own; he runs with some good power and has speed too. It's no wonder the coaching staff felt Davenport was expendable.

Russell will make the team but he probably won't be active that often depending on what type of game they are playing in a particular week or what injuries might come up to mandate him being active.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Timmons is a first round pick so sooner or later he's got to get out there and start contributing for us. Even if he doesn't win the job this year he'll still get some significant playing time and with Farrior in the last year of his deal Timmons will be waiting in the wings to take over. There's still time for him to win it this year especially if he shows up well in preseason but Foote is no slouch and has been doing this for a long time. I've always been a big Larry Foote fan; he's not the biggest guy in the world or the strongest but he's tough and plays smart.

Groin injuries and hamstrings are always the most popular injuries during camp; most times some rest will cure it as long as they don't come back to fast.

Captcoolhand
08-04-2008, 09:21 PM
http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent//2008/07/28/20/0828_TCdh_reed_92153.jpgSteelers enjoying camp, not just enduring it
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Latrobe, Pa - There was a renewed feeling of energy at practice on Monday afternoon after a morning that head coach Mike Tomlin classified as being in survival mode.
During the two-minute drill James Farrior and his defensive teammates encouraged the crowd to bring the noise, while the offense tried to no avail to quiet them.
“Hopefully there was a feeling that we may have crossed a threshold this afternoon where they were enjoying it and not enduring it,” said Tomlin. “We are thriving. Only time will tell and we will see what it’s like tomorrow when we come out here and get us a couple in. There was a lot of energy and enthusiasm in the afternoon. The guys came and competed.
“That’s what training camp is about. You go through a process. You break the group down, you break the bodies down if you will and you build them back up and get ready for action. Maybe it was a significant afternoon, we’ll see.”
Rookie quarterbacks Dennis Dixon and Mike Potts ran most of the two-minute drill and overall Tomlin was pleased with the job they did, but pointed out that Dixon does need to make some adjustments to the professional game after he scrambled a few time to get a first down.

”If we were in college football, that’d be great,” said Tomlin. “In the National Football League, man, that clock is running. You know, those are the kind of growing pains that we are going through. It is great to get him in there with the first group surrounded by some guys that know what they are doing and get to work. I thought from that standpoint it was very good.”
Maybe it was that enthusiasm all afternoon that prompted Tomlin to give his team the chance to end practice early. With about 25 minutes left in the session Tomlin gathered the group and called on kicker Jeff Reed to hit a 50-yard field goal. If he made it, practice is over. If not, they keep going.
He missed.
“It’s only going to make me stronger,” said Reed. “What made me mad is I don’t like missing anything. I know these guys are tired because I am.”
Tomlin gave Reed another chance, though. With just under 10 minutes Reed hit his field goal, sending a happy group of players off the field.

”At least I helped them out a little bit,” said Reed. “I didn’t get them out of 25 minutes of practice, but at least I gave them 10. I am glad I came through for them. It’s a little frustrating I missed the first one.
“I strive for perfection. I think they were a little upset because they are tired and would love the break. They were excited and had total confidence in me. If you heard them the first time before I missed they were pretty excited because I was excited. Whenever I get an opportunity to help the team out that is my job. I was disappointed in the first one but glad the second one went through.”
Injury Update: The biggest news on the injury front was the return of guard Chris Kemoeatu to practice after spending the first week of camp on the physically unable to perform list. Day-to-day are James Harrison (groin), Limas Sweed (hamstring), Deshea Townsend (groin), Mike Humpal (hamstring), Dezmond Sherrod (neck), Anthony Trucks (back), Brett Keisel (groin) and Kendell Simmons (shoulder). Ben Roethlisberger was limited in practice, but looked like he was in mid-season form when he hit Heath Miller on a long pass. Marvel Smith missed practice as a coach’s decision.

Lots of groin injuries this year....

LatrobePA
08-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Found this list on Steelers.com

Injury Update: The biggest news on the injury front was the return of guard Chris Kemoeatu to practice after spending the first week of camp on the physically unable to perform list. Day-to-day are James Harrison (groin), Limas Sweed (hamstring), Deshea Townsend (groin), Mike Humpal (hamstring), Dezmond Sherrod (neck), Anthony Trucks (back), Brett Keisel (groin) and Kendell Simmons (shoulder). Ben Roethlisberger was limited in practice, but looked like he was in mid-season form when he hit Heath Miller on a long pass. Marvel Smith missed practice as a coach’s decision.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-04-2008, 09:33 PM
The groin and hamstring injuries are the most common, the players get some rest and they usually come back fine. Im glad to see Kemoeatu back out there, he need all the reps he can.

I noticed yesterday that Dixon did see fairly poised under the pass rush drills but he did seem to have happy feet now so that will need to be addressed but overall he looked pretty darn good.

K Train
08-04-2008, 09:33 PM
no big deals....alot of teams are much worse off than us

K Train
08-04-2008, 09:36 PM
dixon will always scramble...hes a great athlete and thats what he does

terrible.towel43
08-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Some guys arent hurt that bad. They just feel something tight so they will shut it down so there are no long term affects.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-04-2008, 09:40 PM
He did scramble and was able to step up avoid the pass rush but I noticed several times he didn't set his foot before he threw. Most of those passes were 5-10 yd dump off so it's not that big of deal but they'll have to work on him making sure he's set and ready to go when he fires the longer ones under pressure. He's got a nice touch on the ball and was able to hit most of the receivers in stride on the short crossing routes too.

LatrobePA
08-04-2008, 09:42 PM
No doubt, but I can't remember when I saw a list like this from TC. I know it's no biggie, but damn!!

Captcoolhand
08-04-2008, 10:07 PM
well the way i see it, He's 3rd sting so he will have plenty of time to learn the ropes.

LatrobePA
08-04-2008, 10:31 PM
well the way i see it, He's 3rd sting so he will have plenty of time to learn the ropes.

Nailed it on the head bro!!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2008, 12:53 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08217/901834-66.stm

Monday, August 04, 2008
By Gerrry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Chris Kemoeatu, the heir apparent to Alan Faneca's starting left guard position, was taken off the physically unable to perform list today and practiced with his teammates for the first time since training camp began.

Kemoeatu (6-3, 344) practiced wearing a protective brace on his left tricep, an injury that occurred right before the Steelers reported to St. Vincent College July 27.

K Train
08-05-2008, 12:54 AM
i hate him more all the time i hope he doesnt start on the line

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2008, 10:09 AM
he's probably going to be the starting LG you know :lol: the thing that worries me about him is his habit of having heavy feet when trying to pull and lead the way for the RB. He's real solid in run blocking because he's so big and mega strong but if he doesn't get those clod hoppers going our running game is going to suffer.

GoBenGo
08-05-2008, 10:32 AM

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

In one-on-one matchups, Chris Hoke beats Mahan badly. ... .

the terrible turnstyle is back....

Captcoolhand
08-05-2008, 12:07 PM
The competition for the Steelers’ ORT job may already be over, with Willie Colon appearing to hold a clear edge over Max Starks, who we hear has not gotten off to a good start in camp. Steelers OL coach Larry Zierlein has said the line, with the exception of center, where Justin Hartwig and Sean Mahan are competing, is “pretty well set.”Knowing that the steelers are paying Starks all that money just to be a back-up makes me :barf:

TampaSteelGirl
08-05-2008, 03:02 PM
As much as I don't like it, I think it's to be expected after not playing for months, they have to get "broken in" Everything will be ok. Troy is what worries me and Casey Hampton.

Stairwayto7
08-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Some are just premadonna`s its too hot for practice.

K Train
08-05-2008, 04:30 PM
No doubt, but I can't remember when I saw a list like this from TC. I know it's no biggie, but damn!!

actually the last time i remember this happening was...umm last year

Stairwayto7
08-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Its week one, big deal, other than the punter. I mean if it were a regular season game, with the playoffs on the line,. could they play?

SteelersfaninPhilly
08-05-2008, 09:22 PM
I rather get the injury bug out of the way now. Then say week 10.

steelcityrockers
08-05-2008, 09:22 PM
More than likely Cleve-o. Kemoeatu MIGHT have to sit out but that is about it.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2008, 09:45 PM
That pretty much means that Kemoeatu, even though he hasn't practiced in camp until yesterday is penciled in as the starting LG. I just hope they get to working on those cement blocks he has around his ankles or it's going to hamper our running game. As far as Colon goes, the Steelers got what they wanted out of Starks atleast partially. They didn't want to enter the season with no other alternative besides Essex so signing Starks was good insurance. The problem is right now he's a 7 million dollar backup. How said is it a guy, 3rd round pick who had the job for the taking just couldn't hang onto it. Props to Colon for stepping up.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
08-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Has anyone heard anything about how Ryan Mundy is playing? I haven't heard a peep about this kid, maybe we will get a good look on Fri night.

And what's the latest with Troy?.how long is he supposed to be out?

lol, inquiring minds want to know!

SteelerSteve
08-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Damn, I guess all I can hope for is that the line comes out and surprises the hell out of us, cause unless they do that its not looking too good.

steelcityrockers
08-05-2008, 10:51 PM
It will be better than last year. Although center still really concerns me.

SteelerSteve
08-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Yeah I really hope your right. Center is definitley iffy but these guys cannot be the long term solution. We really need to make an effort next offseason to draft some dominant linemen and through FA. I mean just something, all other problems we have dont compare and I really believe that we are a solid o-line away from becoming an elite team.

steelcityrockers
08-05-2008, 11:05 PM
A solid OLine and more depth along the Defensive Line. That is what scare me the most. If Aaron Smith goes down again and we see the sucktastic duo of Nick Eason and Travis Kirschke. They get blown off the ball 5 yards on every play.

SteelerSteve
08-05-2008, 11:09 PM
A solid OLine and more depth along the Defensive Line. That is what scare me the most. If Aaron Smith goes down again and we see the sucktastic duo of Nick Eason and Travis Kirschke. They get blown off the ball 5 yards on every play.Agreed, but O-line is definitley our biggest concern right now, at least for me.

steelcityrockers
08-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Both are very distressing. I like some of the potetial we have along the OLine though. Where as everyone has hit their peak on the DLine. Except for maybe McBean, if he can do anything this year, I would fell a lot better about the DLine.

SteelerSteve
08-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Both are very distressing. I like some of the potetial we have along the OLine though. Where as everyone has hit their peak on the DLine. Except for maybe McBean, if he can do anything this year, I would fell a lot better about the DLine.
Yeah, but they are distressing in different ways. D-line we have the starters with the ability to be a very strong unit again. We just dont have much behind them. The O-line is worse because I cant really think of one single guy that stands out among an already poorly thought of unit.

steelcityrockers
08-05-2008, 11:20 PM
You know what, you are right. Marvel Smith is above average, same with Kendall Simmons. Nothing more. The rest are basically unproven, and center is shaky.

SteelerSteve
08-05-2008, 11:24 PM
You know what, you are right. Marvel Smith is above average, same with Kendall Simmons. Nothing more. The rest are basically unproven, and center is shaky.Well your right too, I guess Marvel and Kendall are probably the only guys I am comfortable with right now.

K Train
08-05-2008, 11:44 PM
i kinda hate simmons. Colon is my favorite, they insist on playing him at RT but i along with half the world thinks he should be a guard...i think he needs to be on the field because hes got what it takes. I like smith, hes a solid option at LT and i ****ing hate kemoeatevery****ingthinghesees. i despise mahan and im not liking what im hearing about hartwig. I do think that after a year or 2 hills will be a great option to have but no way this year and i love the idea of essex at guard like hes been filling in for **** face with the "weight lifting" accident.

Dline....well, i think smith is hands down the best 34 DE in the league...a true master of the position. And the longer casey is on the sideline being fat the more hoke dominates and gets better. Keisel im still giving a chance because it is a very harrd position to play and smith wasnt incredible right off the bat....

The draft needs to be a big one for the lines, Oher would make me bust a nut but look for a guy like andre smith, tyson jackson or al woods to be on our radar next year

steelcityrockers
08-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Phil Loadholt too.

And why do you have such intense hatred for Kemoeatu lol?

He is a mauler, barring of course he reaches the defender...

K Train
08-05-2008, 11:52 PM
hes a fat mother****er and is worthless pulling, he plays out of position, his footwork is atrocious, hes dumb as **** and i just dont care for him at all...i feel like having him as our starting left guard is a serious problem

steelcityrockers
08-05-2008, 11:58 PM
I would like Colon at Left Guard and Starks at Right Tackle, but there is probably a good reason why I don't make these decisions. Essex interests me too, if they really did move him permanantly to guard, he could have a surprisingly good season. By the way, what is it with the Steelers and having 6'3" tackles?

K Train
08-06-2008, 12:19 AM
essex reminds me of leonard davis alot and i dont know why....they drafted him at tackle and i think if he moved to guard he would dominate...the cowboys moved davis to guard after he was **** at LT for the cards and he made the probowl, essex was decent at LT when he played and i think him being a guard would show that he wasnt a complete waste of a 2nd round pick.

I dont care how tall any player is at any position because height is overrated being a tackle is all about footwork and form and understanding leverage....if 6-3 colon can handle that better than mammoth 6-8 starks then so be it

BlitzburghRockCity
08-06-2008, 06:03 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08219/902115-66.stm

Steelers Notebook: Tomlin says Parker in goal-line mix again
Wednesday, August 06, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Willie Parker wouldn't mind a change in nicknames from Fast Willie to Touchdown Willie.

"I want to score some touchdowns," Parker said after he scored on the first play of the goal-line drill that ended practice last night.

Two years ago, Parker was a touchdown machine; he scored 16. Last year, he nearly was shut out; he scored just two.

"I wasn't playing on the goal line," Parker explained of the difference. "When you don't play on the goal line, that's a big difference."

That's why Parker wants to persuade coach Mike Tomlin to return him to the goal-line offense, a job held last year by the now-departed Najeh Davenport. He got that wish for the first of seven goal-line plays last night and popped into the end zone off right guard.

Parker said Tomlin did not use him in the goal-line drill Sunday because Tomlin did not want him to get hit. As quarterback Ben Roethlisberger put it: "Willie's very powerful. He's fast, he's quick, he's strong with a low center of balance, but out here we don't want him to get hurt, we're handicapped a little bit out here."

Tomlin said that Parker again is under consideration for the job.

"Thirty-nine is a guy who could potentially be a guy in that area. We'll see. He had a nice run."

Kemoeatu makes hit
It did not take long for left guard Chris Kemoeatu to make his mark in training camp. In just his second day of practice and wearing a brace on his injured left triceps, Kemoeatu pulled to his right to block on the goal-line drill.

"The goal-line drill was much better," Tomlin said, comparing it to the one Sunday. "It was spirited. I think No. 68 had something to do with that.

"It's a unit thing, and I think, no doubt, that Chris' presence was a difference for us today. We pulled him. It is what he does, he's a road-grader, he's a violent run-blocker and we ran behind him."

Mendenhall improves
Rookie halfback Rashard Mendenhall, who failed to score on three tries from the 1 1/2 in the goal-line drill Sunday, made it in on his second try last night.

Tomlin said Sunday that Mendenhall had to run harder, and he gave him a better grade yesterday.

"I thought he was better. He was downhill. He went in standing up one time."

Gary Russell and Justin Vincent were stopped short on each of their two tries.

Injury updates
Roethlisberger continued to be limited in practice and did not work in the team or goal-line drills. Among those who returned to practice were Brett Keisel, Marvel Smith, James Harrison, Limas Sweed, Kendall Simons and rookie linebacker Mike Humpal, who made the final tackle on the final play of the goal-line scrimmage.

Tomlin said he expects cornerback Deshea Townsend (groin) back today.

Rookie defensive lineman Jordan Reffett is due back today after missing two days to be with his wife, who gave birth.

Kudos for Woodley, Timmons
Jason Gildon knows a little what LaMarr Woodley faces as he moves into the starting lineup at left outside linebacker. Woodley played one year behind Clark Haggans before getting his chance to start. Gildon played two years behind Kevin Greene before he took over the same spot in 1996.

"He has the talent, he has the skill that it takes to be successful," Gildon said. "But there's a lot more to the position. You don't have the luxury of sitting back sometimes and learning. In his position, he has to go out and play this year, play at a high level."

Gildon, the team's career sack leader with 77, is spending the week helping with the linebackers.

"They have a very talented group of linebackers across the board, inside and out," said Gildon, who played through the 2003 season with the Steelers and lives in Wexford. "I've been very impressed by [Lawrence] Timmons. He can do it all -- play inside, outside, cover. I'm very impressed with his abilities out there."

Wood just continues to impress every day we hear an update about him, I cannot wait to see him opposite Harrison!

Black@Gold Forever32
08-06-2008, 06:12 PM
I had a similar article like that one but Top beat me to it...lol But it touched on the same things......Kemo looking good......I know Train hates him...lol....But Kemo will be fine in the run game...He should open massive holes all year.....I expect Kemo to struggle in pass protection......I hope I'm wrong....

Plus Mendenhall looked better so we can quit doubting him if he struggles in one drill...lol

K Train
08-06-2008, 06:18 PM
the thing about woodley is harrison is so badass in his own right and would have had better numbers last year if he was double teamed while haggans was ignored by the offense.....both could easily have double digit sacks this year, actually i expect them to

and thank god mendenhall isnt a bust yet.

what about russell i thought he was far and above the best back we had????

Black@Gold Forever32
08-06-2008, 06:25 PM
i kinda hate simmons. Colon is my favorite, they insist on playing him at RT but i along with half the world thinks he should be a guard...i think he needs to be on the field because hes got what it takes. I like smith, hes a solid option at LT and i ****ing hate kemoeatevery****ingthinghesees. i despise mahan and im not liking what im hearing about hartwig. I do think that after a year or 2 hills will be a great option to have but no way this year and i love the idea of essex at guard like hes been filling in for **** face with the "weight lifting" accident.

Dline....well, i think smith is hands down the best 34 DE in the league...a true master of the position. And the longer casey is on the sideline being fat the more hoke dominates and gets better. Keisel im still giving a chance because it is a very harrd position to play and smith wasnt incredible right off the bat....

The draft needs to be a big one for the lines, Oher would make me bust a nut but look for a guy like andre smith, tyson jackson or al woods to be on our radar next year

Just saw this post........We all agree for the most part that Colon needs to be moved to OG.......I agree Ktrain he has what it takes and the attitude to play OL in the NFL.....I said a long a time ago that Colon would make a nasty OG.....Only problem he has to play RT by default since Starks has been inconsistent....Only way we see Colon at OG is if Starks beats him out at RT....I don't look for that to happen....

I'm not big on Kendall Simmons.....I think he started out fine but his health in my opinion has taken some what of a toll....I don't think he has been the same since they discovered he had diabetes and him also blowing out his ACL....I think he is average at best....

Kemoeatu is just mauler for the run game...Perfect fit for Bill Cowher's power running offense......Not the offense we want to run now.....

Mahan just needs to die...I agree Hartwig doesn't sound to promising right now either....

Smith is very good when healthy...But I stick by my statement that he needs to be moved back to RT...I still want the Steelers to find a true LT......But I would settle for just an OT period...This team needs OTs bad.......Plus Smith has to resign....

Essex moving to OG is interesting....I hope it works out.....I don't think he is an NFL OT....

I would like to see a C and an OT drafted next year...Possibly two OTs depending on who leaves in free agency....

Aaron Smith is a beast and has football left...Hopefully Hampton continues to get his weight down.....Hoke is a very good backup.......Keisel is solid but I do think he is better suited in a backup role.....

I would be happy with any of those players you mentioned.....I think 4-5 picks have to be spent on both lines next year........

K Train
08-06-2008, 08:00 PM
During the first week of camp, Willie Colon was the starting right tackle and Max Starks was working with the second offense. This despite the fact that Starks was told he was competing for the starting spot. I asked Starks how many reps he has taken with the starters and his answer was zero. He thought that would soon change. Keep in mind, the Steelers put a transition tag on Starks, giving him a salary equaled to the top 10 offensive linemen in the NFL.

The left guard spot is still a question mark since Faneca's departure. Chris Kemoeatu was supposed to get the first shot at it, but with him being hurt, backup center Sean Mahan is getting the work. After watching the line at practice, I could make a case that the best candidate to replace Faneca is Colon. As one former Steeler lineman revealed at practice, "Willie is as mean or meaner than Faneca and plays a tough brand of football." Colon indicated to me that he would have no problem shifting inside.

Expect Pittsburgh to shuffle people around in the next ten days, looking for the right combination.
http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story?id=09000d5d809b5e9d&template=with-video&confirm=true

**** like this pisses me off cause its what the majority of us who know what were talking about have been saying

Black@Gold Forever32
08-06-2008, 08:43 PM
http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story?id=09000d5d809b5e9d&template=with-video&confirm=true

shiat like this pisses me off cause its what the majority of us who know what were talking about have been saying

I hear you man....Problem is the Steelers have a huge hole at RT...Starks has been inconsistent and it sounds he isn't beating out Colon at RT so far at camp.....So Colon has to start at RT since thats our best option at this time....The Steelers need to upgrade at OT next year....Then maybe we will see Colon moved to OG....

K Train
08-06-2008, 10:17 PM
they plan on using starks as a 3rd TE....i can feel it

SteelersWoman
08-07-2008, 05:26 AM
http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story?template=with-video&id=09000d5d809b5e9d

By Pat Kirwan | NFL.com
Senior Analyst

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/ben_topof.jpg
Gregory Shamus/Getty Images
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will have many options to choose from in 2008.

LATROBE, PA. -- It's always a pleasure to make a camp tour stop at the home of the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT). There were close to 4,000 loyal fans from all over the country at the full-contact practice I recently attended. As one fan said, "I can't afford tickets to the games so I take my two-week vacation in the summer and get to as many practices as I possibly can, and my kids get a chance to grow up Steeler fans."

A number of teams have tremendous loyalty from their fans but there is something different about the Pittsburgh fans. It's the knowledge of the game, the passion, the history, and in some ways the sense of responsibility to be there for the team. In turn, the entire Steelers organization really cares about the fans.

The question is: Will 2008 satisfy the fans?

The offense is clearly in transition from an "old school" power-run system that attacks with the play-action pass into a spread pass offense with a zone running scheme. The defense, meanwhile, returns all of its starters and most of its backups.
Here are the six storylines that rang loud and clear to me after a day of interviewing the Steelers' players, coaches, scouts and front office executives.
1. Has Casey Hampton (http://www.nfl.com/players/caseyhampton/profile?id=HAM671173)'s poor physical conditioning hurt this defense?

The key to the 3-4 defense is the nose tackle. The guy over the center must command a double team, which in turn frees up an inside linebacker to pursue the run and blitz the quarterback. Hampton couldn't finish the fitness test and has let his weight get to a dangerous level where he's at risk of injury and a loss of effectiveness. Most of the players think he'll be back and remain a force.

Even if he isn't, a few guys referred to backup nose tackle Chris Hoke (http://www.nfl.com/players/chrishoke/profile?id=HOK264111) as a guy who can step in without missing a beat.
Hoke told me he is confident he can do the job, but realizes he will return to the bench when Hampton shapes up. Keep in mind, the Steelers are 12-0 when Hoke plays nose tackle.

Hampton's lack of conditioning is a disappointment to the front office and as one player said, "A slap in the face to Mike Tomlin."
2. Is the new offensive scheme the right direction to take considering the personnel?

As tight end Heath Miller (http://www.nfl.com/players/heathmiller/profile?id=MIL243606) said, "Ben (Roethlisberger) is our best player and the spread offense features our best player." It is clear Big Ben had a big influence on the evolving offense. Two years ago he told me he wanted to do the things Carson Palmer (http://www.nfl.com/players/carsonpalmer/profile?id=PAL249055) does with the Bengals offense and last year Roethlisberger got to do more of those things. He responded by throwing 32 touchdowns to just 11 interceptions. He looks even better in camp this year.

The addition of rookie WR Limas Sweed (http://www.nfl.com/players/limassweed/profile?id=SWE041051) has been handled with a quiet optimism, but it is clear that everyone thinks Sweed will be a big factor in the three-wide receiver package this year.

The zone-running scheme gets scrutinized a bit more than the passing game. As one offensive lineman said, "Our linemen were all brought here because we were a power run team and this new scheme doesn't fit all the linemen."

The skepticism could be a result of the loss of All Pro guard Alan Faneca (http://www.nfl.com/players/alanfaneca/profile?id=FAN049971) in free agency. He was famous for his pulling ability in the strong-side run game. The void he left has created questions not only about the run-blocking but also about the pass protection.

3. How will the Steelers use running backs Willie Parker, Rashard Mendenhall (http://www.nfl.com/players/rashardmendenhall/profile?id=MEN393702) and Mewelde Moore (http://www.nfl.com/players/meweldemoore/profile?id=MOO557284)?

Parker was leading the NFL in rushing last year before he was hurt in Week 16 and now he teams up with rookie Rashard Mendenhall. The best description of how the two backs will coexist came from a lineman who told me Parker will own the outside runs, while Mendenhall will dominate inside the tackles.

Linebackers Larry Foote (http://www.nfl.com/players/larryfoote/profile?id=FOO434041) and Lawrence Timmons (http://www.nfl.com/players/lawrencetimmons/profile?id=TIM589720) both told me that Mendenhall is a load on the inside and has good hands as a receiver.
Moore, meanwhile, is adept with the third-down blocking schemes and is also a capable receiver. The run game could resemble a blend of that of the Jaguars and Giants, with each back filling a distinct role.

The only remaining question will be if the Steelers run the ball enough to satisfy both players and leave Moore in the third-down package.
4. Can the club fix its special teams problems?

While I was at camp, general manager Kevin Colbert signed Eddie Drummond (http://www.nfl.com/players/eddiedrummond/profile?id=DRU359398) to bolster the return game. Last year the Steelers were 21st in kick returns and 23rd in punt returns. Even if it is for the short term, the Steelers are counting on Drummond to help.

The coverage units are also an issue. A 3-4 defense like Pittsburgh's should have enough backup linebackers to expect better coverage. One young backer who is drawing some early attention is rookie Mike Humpal (http://www.nfl.com/players/mikehumpal/profile?id=HUM350511) from Iowa. Third-round pick Bruce Davis needs to be a factor as well.
5. What should the Steelers do with their offensive line?

During the first week of camp, Willie Colon (http://www.nfl.com/players/williecolon/profile?id=COL747402) was the starting right tackle and Max Starks (http://www.nfl.com/players/maxstarks/profile?id=STA603966) was working with the second offense. This despite the fact that Starks was told he was competing for the starting spot.

I asked Starks how many reps he has taken with the starters and his answer was zero. He thought that would soon change. Keep in mind, the Steelers put a transition tag on Starks, giving him a salary equaled to the top 10 offensive linemen in the NFL.

The left guard spot is still a question mark since Faneca's departure. Chris Kemoeatu (http://www.nfl.com/players/chriskemoeatu/profile?id=KEM089572) was supposed to get the first shot at it, but with him being hurt, backup center Sean Mahan (http://www.nfl.com/players/seanmahan/profile?id=MAH168381) is getting the work. After watching the line at practice, I could make a case that the best candidate to replace Faneca is Colon. As one former Steeler lineman revealed at practice, "Willie is as mean or meaner than Faneca and plays a tough brand of football." Colon indicated to me that he would have no problem shifting inside.

Expect Pittsburgh to shuffle people around in the next ten days, looking for the right combination.
6. Who will start at the inside linebacker spots?

The most heated battle on defense is at inside linebacker as Larry Foote tries to hold off second-year player Lawrence Timmons. Don't be too quick to pencil Timmons into the starting lineup -- after talking to Foote it's clear he is not going to quietly surrender his spot in the lineup.

As Foote said, "We are moving quickly with our installation of defenses and I know all of the calls from being out there and I'm playing fast."
Timmons has an edge to him and is focused on overtaking Foote, but it's not going to be easy. As I left camp I got the feeling Foote would be the opening-day starter.
Final analysis

The Steelers know the Cleveland Browns (http://www.nfl.com/teams/clevelandbrowns/profile?team=CLE) are getting better, but they remain confident they will defend their division title.

Every team has a lack of depth at certain positions and the Steelers are no exception. Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel (http://www.nfl.com/players/brettkeisel/profile?id=KEI384586) have to stay healthy on the defensive line, safety Troy Polamalu (http://www.nfl.com/players/troypolamalu/profile?id=POL041872) must avoid the injuries that plagued him last year and the offensive line has to protect Roethlisberger better than it did last season.

If all goes well, this team can win 12 games and the division, but the Browns may be closer than the Steelers realize.

I think the Steelers are very well aware of how "close" the Browns are. I believe our 2nd game against them last season showed our guys that they can no longer go into a game against them and expect that it's a "gimme"--at least at this point. Our guys won that game by showing up in the last quarter--they're gonna have to play more than one quarter against them this season to bring home a win.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-07-2008, 06:06 AM
That's the whole problem with the whole Colon to Guard thing; we don't have a viable option at RT now because Starks can't just go out and win the battle. You have to give props to Colon for playing well and being willing to move inside if necessary but it makes you also wonder; is Colon really that much better than Starks or is just stuck there because Starks sucks even more than last year.

It's probably a combination of both but our line is going to suffer because of it if Kemoeatu doesn't take the LG job and run with it. Im so tired of OL winning starting jobs by default because their competition can't give them a realistic run for their money.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
08-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Good Read :yellowthumb: I agree about bringing it for 60 minutes against the clowns, i don't see too many "gimme" games on the horizon this year. This is this most talent loaded Steeler team i've seen tho.With Moore coming out the backfield on 3rd downs, Ben's got all kinds of options. Can't wait, the Texans are in trouble week one.:postal:

ejsteeler
08-07-2008, 10:11 AM
I don't see ANY gimmie games on that schedule. It's the NFL after all, and any given Sunday......:yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Win the divisional games, win at home and split on road gives you 12-4 which will win the AFCN no problem. Our issue is, when we get ahead can we stay ahead and not let teams back into with cheap points. The AFCN is an odd place to be this year, the Bengals are helter skelter you never know what you'll get. The ratbirds are in a state of flux and transition right now so they are liable to either totally suck or surprise people and play well. The AFCN comes down to the Steelers vs Browns no doubt.

Ambridge
08-07-2008, 08:07 PM
I hear you man....Problem is the Steelers have a huge hole at RT...Starks has been inconsistent and it sounds he isn't beating out Colon at RT so far at camp.....So Colon has to start at RT since thats our best option at this time....The Steelers need to upgrade at OT next year....Then maybe we will see Colon moved to OG....

I heard yesterday on FSN Pittsburgh that Starks was getting pushed around and beaten very badly on the Goal-line Drill and that the coaches were visibly upset at Starks.
I still can't understand why Starks got that over-paid Transition Tag Tender??:scratch::evilshake:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-11-2008, 12:43 AM
mostly stuff we already know but...

http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/

The team is worried that safety Ryan Mundy may have a slight fracture in his lower left leg. Mundy has had several MRI's since friday and the Steelers hope to have the results from the MRI's by Monday morning. First prognosis of the injury was Mundy only suffered a minor injury but the swelling in the leg has led team doctors to conduct further tests. Mundy has been impressive in camp and played very well prior to injuring his leg Friday night.

* Updated: 5:08 p.m. The Steelers have announced that they have signed punter Mitch Berger and have removed Casey Hampton from the PUP List. Hampton is believed to have his weight down to 340 lbs, according to a source. It is unknown at this moment if Hampton will play Thursday night against the Buffalo Bills. Following Friday night's contest, head coach Mike Tomlin did not give current punter Paul Ernster a vote of confidence in his post-game comments.
* Updated: 5:54 p.m. It's official: Steelers have announced they have signed quarterback Byron Leftwich.