PDA

View Full Version : Hampton, Polamalu, & Kemoeatu placed on 'pup' list; held out of practice

Friday133
07-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Hampton placed on 'pup' list; held out of practice
Sunday, July 27, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin placed pro bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton on the physically unable to perform (pup) list today because he could not compete the team's running tests, which is part of the physical, after reporting to training camp at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe.

Hampton, who Tomlin said was overweight, ran five of the eight required 100-yard jogs and quit. Tomlin said Hampton will remain on the pup list and will not be able to practice with his teammate until he gets in shape.

Players were to report to training camp by 4 p.m. today.

Post-Gazette (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08209/899985-100.stm)

Not a good sign on the 1st day of camp IMO.

steelerfan11
07-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Tomlin seemed really pissed off about this in his press conference..while Hampton seemed to just blow it off and seemed like it was nothing...

How hard is it to be in shape for training camp? It is not like you don't know when it is and it is coming up?

They also said Polamalu has a tweaked hamstring, and is not practicing either...don't have a link right now though (it was on the 6 o'clock news).

here is a link: http://pod08.prospero.com/n/blogs/blog.aspx?webtag=KDKA_Sports

SteelersfaninPhilly
07-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Polamalu (hamstring) and offensive guard Chris Kemoeatu (triceps) also were placed on the PUP list with Hampton. Neither is eligible to practice until they are removed from the list.

Stlrs4Life
07-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Just Fin great. I know the sky is not falling, but this is not how you want to start camp out. I mean, there is no excuse for it. These guys get paid millions, and they know exactly when camp starts.

Prosdo
07-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Not liking this news. Not how we needed things to start.

Phenomenal TJ
07-27-2008, 07:37 PM
This isn't exactly the way I'd like this season to start. This shows very little responsibility on Hampton's part. It's despicable. People would kill to play in the NFL and he's taking it for granted.

BlacknGold Bleeder
07-27-2008, 07:41 PM
I don't think Hampton has ever completed those running tests, this ain't anything new...He has always been given a pass on them before. Maybe Tomlin is just trying to make a point... Troy is not a good start

Aunkster
07-27-2008, 07:48 PM
I don't think Hampton has ever completed those running tests, this ain't anything new...He has always been given a pass on them before. Maybe Tomlin is just trying to make a point... Troy is not a good start
I was wondering if this was something cower let a few players get away with .
Now that theres a new sheriff in town these players may think different.

Ambridge
07-27-2008, 08:15 PM
C'mon!!
Casey was looking very fat last season and was looking every bit of 350lbs and not looking any where near his listed weight of 325lbs. This seems like a problem that's been getting worse right before our eyes.

BTW-Was Casey excused from the conditioning drills last year under Tomlin's first year??
I'm thinking the big man has been sitting around too much in the off season with the feed bag tied around his neck.

BlackGold4vr
07-27-2008, 08:34 PM
I have personally thought that "Big Snack" has been playing too heavy for quite some time. If he played at his advertised weight of 325 he would occasionally stumble over a sack. He is so far overweight that he is easily winded at which point he is easily controlled by opposing lineman by single blockers. No need to doubleteam a guy who is gasping for oxygen from the 2nd or 3rd play on. Somebody needs to keep Big Snack away from the snacks!

:vactiontime:

:beer3:

:popcorn2:

STEEL CITY TANK
07-27-2008, 08:48 PM
OMG why is training camp starting like this Casy HAMpton has got to downsize immediately.............

Black@Gold Forever32
07-27-2008, 08:56 PM
No shock about Casey or Troy.....Hampton needs to get into shape...He didn't play up to his standards last year...He looked to be heavier then usual last year.....I'm glad Tomlin put him on the pup list to make him get into shape....

As for Troy.....I thought him going back to his old way of training was going to keep him healthy...lol Nope its the same old song and dance with Troy....

yinzer
07-27-2008, 08:59 PM
casey is lazy and troy lost his fire. time to move on. i'm sick of worrying about these two. :evilshake:

Troyisabeast_43
07-27-2008, 09:06 PM
As long as Hampton and Troy are ready for the game on September 7th against Houston and in game shape and ready to play like they should be and most likely will be this will all be a moot point in about 7 weeks. This thing with Hampton will sort itself out and I think people are making a bigger deal about this then they should be.

STEEL CITY TANK
07-27-2008, 09:12 PM
casey is lazy and troy lost his fire. time to move on. i'm sick of worrying about these two. :evilshake:

I completely agree with you

Koopa
07-27-2008, 09:19 PM
****ing fat *** hampton, he's becoming a bum

and troy has been a bum from the start and proves me right every year about him being the most overrated piece of **** in steeler football history

Troyisabeast_43
07-27-2008, 09:28 PM
****ing fat *** hampton, he's becoming a bum

and troy has been a bum from the start and proves me right every year about him being the most overrated piece of shiat in steeler football history

If Troy stays healthy this year I think he will have a very good season. Ever since he got hurt in that Arizona game last year he just has not been the same player. If he stays injury free this year I think he will be able to make a pretty big impact.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-27-2008, 09:38 PM
If Troy stays healthy this year I think he will have a very good season. Ever since he got hurt in that Arizona game last year he just has not been the same player. If he stays injury free this year I think he will be able to make a pretty big impact.

October 22, 2006 against the Falcons was the last time Troy had an INT....... The last time time he had a sack was November 19, 2006.......So it wasn't just last year Troy wasn't effective....It really started mid-season 2006....Sure injuries have been a factor...But Hines hasn't been exactly 100 percent healthy the last few years and he still produces...True its not Ward in his prime production......But still not the big drop-off like Troy has had....

Troy P has went from play-maker to ineffective and its a problem...Especially with his fat contract....I just have doubt about his health anymore...Another factor is teams have adjusted to his Taz role.....I'm not saying he shouldn't free lance but maybe not free lance as much.....

BlitzburghRockCity
07-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Every players finishes the run test every year including Hampton. It's been a requirement for every player regardless of their status. The only time they get passes out of it is if they are injured. Casey failed the test and deserved to be benched. He's a big part of our defense and one of the best in business so we gotta have him ready to go. This will be interesting to see how long he stays on it and Im quite sure he had a meeting with Tomlin at some point today or tomorrow to address this.

As for Troy; let's not jump on his bandwagon just yet. It's the first day of camp and it's not uncommon to see players go alittle overboard and pull something. He's been working out all summer and Im sure he'll be ok soon. Give the dude time to work out in camp and we'll see what he does. The season isn't over for him already.

Chris K worries me the most because he's the go to guy at LG right more than likely and we need him to get all the reps and practice that he can. Our season depends on the OL coming together.

Troyisabeast_43
07-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Every players finishes the run test every year including Hampton. It's been a requirement for every player regardless of their status. The only time they get passes out of it is if they are injured. Casey failed the test and deserved to be benched. He's a big part of our defense and one of the best in business so we gotta have him ready to go. This will be interesting to see how long he stays on it and Im quite sure he had a meeting with Tomlin at some point today or tomorrow to address this.

As for Troy; let's not jump on his bandwagon just yet. It's the first day of camp and it's not uncommon to see players go alittle overboard and pull something. He's been working out all summer and Im sure he'll be ok soon. Give the dude time to work out in camp and we'll see what he does. The season isn't over for him already.

Chris K worries me the most because he's the go to guy at LG right more than likely and we need him to get all the reps and practice that he can. Our season depends on the OL coming together.

I agree people just need to relax here everybody is always looking to make a big deal out of nothing the first couple days of training camp with small little things. Is it a good thing that Hampton came in out of shape?? Of course not, but the bottom line is these kind of things will work themselves out and once the Steelers get into preseason play this will all be forgotten about. It's not like they really have a much better option right now at nose tackle other then Casey Hampton at this point to begin with. Who are they are going to have step in to take his place Hoke, Kirschke,Eason?? I doubt it. This thing with Hampton will sort itself out here Im guessing within the next week or two and all will be fine.

As for Troy I have heard as well that he had the workout regiment from hell this offseason to get himself into tip-top shape for this year so that he wouldnt sustain any injuries at all once the season started. Troy will be fine as well and his injury at the moment on the first day shouldnt be anything to really be concerned about either just yet.

LatrobePA
07-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Troy is becoming a very high paid pussy, I'd say he's tapered off to an OK player at best. We can survive without him, Casey's lardass is a diffrent story!!

Iron City South
07-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Signs are already pointing in the direction that Polamalu is weak and feeble in both the mind and body. I think his earthy excentric self is beyond being salvaging into a physcially tough football player at this point. Trade this little bitch already ....

Fat Casey is just an overpaid sloth at this point that may even have the opportunity to slim down from his svelt 440 lb. bowling ball frame to be an average NT this year.

LatrobePA
07-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Signs are already pointing in the direction that Polamalu is weak and feeble in both the mind and body. I think his earthy excentric self is beyond being salvaging into a physcially tough football player at this point. Trade this little bitch already ....

Fat Casey is just an overpaid sloth at this point that may even have the opportunity to slim down from his svelt 440 lb. bowling ball frame to be an average NT this year.

LMAO!! Great post!!

steelerfan11
07-27-2008, 10:53 PM
I just have a problem when Casey Hampton says "he doesn't need these two-a-days as anybody else". It is just like he isn't taking it serious that he is overweight and needs to be inshape...

http://kdka.com/steelers

there is the link to the video....it is after tomlin's pres-conference (same clip).

BlitzburghRockCity
07-27-2008, 11:11 PM
Casey will get his act together..the trainers and coaches will put him a strict work out routine and diet.

Per the article that Steelerfan11 posted up.

Polamalu was injured while working out on his own, and Kemoeatu - All-Pro guard Alan Faneca's apparent replacement - was hurt lifting weights in advance of camp.

Troy is putting everything he's got into this training and injuries happen, it's just par for the course. Better to let it rest now for a week or so and then get out there and get to it before camp is over and get some preseason work in.

steelcityrockers
07-27-2008, 11:24 PM
This really is not that big of a deal...

LatrobePA
07-27-2008, 11:49 PM
This really is not that big of a deal...

Agree'd but come on Troy, Casey will be there....

BlitzburghRockCity
07-27-2008, 11:54 PM
Troy isn't coming into this season to fail; he knows the last 2 years he hasn't played up to snuff..injuries or not. He's got something to prove this year and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt heading into this season and we'll see what he's got. If he can't be the player we need him to be then maybe it is time to cut the cord but I have faith in him that he'll get back to form and show us the Troy of old in 2008.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2008, 12:02 AM
I could careless about Troy....His play has dropped and he can't stay healthy....He used the excuse that he had to change his training methods when he stayed in Pittsburgh year round...This off-season all we heard Troy was going back to Cali to train like he use to so he could stay healthy.....He has suffered an injury already...lol Get ready for another injury riddled season for Troy...lol

Troyisabeast_43
07-28-2008, 01:14 AM
I just have a problem when Casey Hampton says "he doesn't need these two-a-days as anybody else". It is just like he isn't taking it serious that he is overweight and needs to be inshape...

http://kdka.com/steelers

there is the link to the video....it is after tomlin's pres-conference (same clip).

I agree it's very unprofessional to come out and say that the way he did and I dont think he went about it the right way on the first day of camp especially when you are trying to build something from the start and not embarrass or show up your teammates. Despite all this however, I still think this situation will get corrected and in the end Casey Hampton will be fine and in there playing at a high level come September 7th when the season starts against Houston here at Heinz Field.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

I could careless about Troy....His play has dropped and he can't stay healthy....He used the excuse that he had to change his training methods when he stayed in Pittsburgh year round...This off-season all we heard Troy was going back to Cali to train like he use to so he could stay healthy.....He has suffered an injury already...lol Get ready for another injury riddled season for Troy...lol

It's not that big of a deal here my goodness lol...I know you cant stand Troy but a lot of people on this board and all over are acting like the season is over here today with this news of Hampton being overweight and this minor injury to Troy. Both of these guys will be good to go by the time the season starts because the truth is you really have nobody better on the depth chart right now who is going to come in there and perform at the kind of level that Hampton and Troy are capable of. Who would you rather see playing safety this season on a consistent basis over Troy Polamalu Anthony Smith and Tyrone Carter?? We saw how both of those guys turned out to be toward the end of the season when both guys became starters and their playing time increased.

SteelerDan43
07-28-2008, 04:46 AM
Come on its the first day, of course people are going to over react and jump all over everything... happens every year...

JensK
07-28-2008, 05:14 AM

I have to say, that i have more confident in a guy that trains all summer, so hard that he injures him self, than one who don't want to train at all. I mean, jeez we all know that troy havnt played great the last two seasons, he knows that him self aswell. At least he is trying to do something about it >.> This whole hate troy thing is getting a little odd, because basically everyone is just repeating them self: I hate troy, he is a fat bum. Now take that, put it into 3-4 different forms and you have most posts where troy is involved. I think we heard it already! :yesnod:

Im not saying that i think troy is an elite player at this stage, but im saying that the guy is trying to do something, which you can't say hampton is.

NOVA STEELERS
07-28-2008, 08:15 AM
:thud:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2008, 09:43 AM
As far Hampton goes; I think it's important for Tomlin to stick with his guns on this one and not let up early. If he wants Casey to be a certain weight then so be it. We all Casey is a big guy and a pro bowler so it's not like he's going to suddenly start playing bad this year because of the run test but he needs to be able to keep up with the team and we need to be able to finish the game every week and be as fresh as possible for a guy his size.

He'll be ready to go and be out there probably in a week or so IMO.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Not really sure why everyone is so fickle all of a sudden. Big Snack hasent done this test in quite a while. Its team policy that if you attend so many OTA's during the offseason that you are excused, same with injury. Ill be willing to bet this is the first time in the last 3 years he was made to comlete this test. In the Interview i saw, Casey completely agreed with Tomlins statements and says he respects mike and will do what it takes to rectify the situtation.
As for troy, Um... he completed the run test flawlessly said many of reporters who watched from a distance. They said he ran effortlessly looking very smooth. Yes he did take it down for a few sprints "he wasnt moving his usual 100MPH gamespeed" one reporter stated. But many reports said he looked to be in GREAT condition.

Its day one... One more note Willie Colon made a very bold statement. When asked how the Oline battle was looking Colon had a few things to say about ol' number 66! He said this year coach Z (2nd year line coach) is the Boss now. Colon said, Last season Faneca rarely bought into new schemes and protections and kinda just did his own thing.(prob why the middle of our oline looked like a funnel) This year the oline is gonna have a chance to gel under one plan and one scheme. We all know the love affair Grimm and Faneca had so this is no suprise. Faneca whinned everytime there was change... im starting to think him leaving was the best thing for this oline!!!

Iron City South
07-28-2008, 10:02 AM
Fat-*** last year
(Before)

http://www.postgameheroes.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/hampton.jpg

:eek1:

Fat-*** this year grabbing a lite lunch before sprints
(Current)

http://www.ripten.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/fat-guy.jpg

LatrobePA
07-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Damn this thread is making me hungry, is it lunch yet??

Steelerlyn
07-29-2008, 06:22 PM
When a similarly out-of-shape Hampton couldn’t complete several of the 14 40-yard sprints the Steelers ran when Bill Cowher was coach, Bell jumped in and ran two sprints for him in 2003. Hampton recovered to make the final run that summer, though Cowher was visibly displeased and held Hampton out of practice until he was in better shape.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Going to be nothing but salad's and veggie burgers for big Casey for awhile :lol: hope that late night Wendy's run just before camp was enough to hold you for awhile there big fella!! LOL

SteelerSteve
07-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Fat-*** last year
(Before)

http://www.postgameheroes.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/hampton.jpg

:eek1:

Fat-*** this year grabbing a lite lunch before sprints
(Current)

http://www.ripten.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/fat-guy.jpg S.hit thats a big burger :lol:

[AutoMerged Post Below]

I have to say, that i have more confident in a guy that trains all summer, so hard that he injures him self, than one who don't want to train at all. I mean, jeez we all know that troy havnt played great the last two seasons, he knows that him self aswell. At least he is trying to do something about it >.> This whole hate troy thing is getting a little odd, because basically everyone is just repeating them self: I hate troy, he is a fat bum. Now take that, put it into 3-4 different forms and you have most posts where troy is involved. I think we heard it already! :yesnod:

Im not saying that i think troy is an elite player at this stage, but im saying that the guy is trying to do something, which you can't say hampton is. I have to agree that it is good that he's trying to change it, and I think that he has the potential to be a pro bowl saftey again, but he really needs to go back to the basics imho