PDA

View Full Version : Updated Shout Box

BlitzburghRockCity
07-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Hey all, we're about to roll out a new version of the shoutbox so please let us know if you run into any problems using it, if you notice the site running slow or the shoutbox itself running slow, giving errors, etc.

We'll be doing this in the next couple minutes.

Captcoolhand
07-21-2008, 03:04 PM
will it be on top or still remain on the bottem.:scratch: and any way of having it on the same page that Today's post comes up on :dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-21-2008, 03:16 PM
Ok it's up and running. Right now it's set at the same place as the previous shoutbox and works in a similar manner. You can choose the type of font, color, style you want to use and of course there are smilies available too.

the today's posts and new posts features are mainly designed to show the forum threads and not the shout box. We might be able to modify it but not sure at this point.

steelersgal86
07-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Ok it's up and running. Right now it's set at the same place as the previous shoutbox and works in a similar manner. You can choose the type of font, color, style you want to use and of course there are smilies available too.

the today's posts and new posts features are mainly designed to show the forum threads and not the shout box. We might be able to modify it but not sure at this point.

the smilies come up slow :cursin:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-21-2008, 03:35 PM
you mean when you click on the smilie menu to view the ones you can use?

I made a change that will make the smilies alittle easier to view. The main change with this version other than the cosmetic appearance and ease of load on the server would be smilies and how they are displayed. the previous shoutbox would pick out 8 random smilies to display everytime the page refreshed. this version though shows 10 basic similes and then the "more" feature shows the entire smilie inventory on the site broken down into the same categories that you would see if you were posting a thread or reply so that will take alittle getting used too. so far they seem to be loading up pretty normal for me.

steelersgal86
07-21-2008, 03:40 PM
you mean when you click on the smilie menu to view the ones you can use?

you got it:yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-21-2008, 03:44 PM
also I noticed the SA watermark is a bit cutoff in the posting area so we'll see about fixing that also.

some of the bigger smilies will only show a partial image but you can see what they are pretty easily and of course they show the full smilie when you use it. Also if you see a bigger smilie in the list you can "mouse" over it and it will show you a preview at the bottom of what it is...handy if you aren't familiar with them all.

NOVA STEELERS
07-21-2008, 04:31 PM
:whistle: :whistle:

PsychoWard
07-23-2008, 07:13 PM
every time i go to use a smile they go away and i have to refresh the page to get them back.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-23-2008, 07:18 PM
does anybody else have this problem? one thing I did find is that when you want to use a smilie if u move your mouse off the menu after clicking on it they will go away and you have to reclick on the smilies again to get the display back. it shouldn't take a full refresh though.. :scratch:

Im using FF3 but I also tested it on Avant and IE7.

NOVA STEELERS
07-23-2008, 07:33 PM
does anybody else have this problem? one thing I did find is that when you want to use a smilie if u move your mouse off the menu after clicking on it they will go away and you have to reclick on the smilies again to get the display back. it shouldn't take a full refresh though.. :scratch:

Im using FF3 but I also tested it on Avant and IE7.

I have that issue at work, when I first bring up the smilie menu, they appear but when I click on more.............. the page goes blank, but since its at work I will just :hidechair: :haha:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-23-2008, 07:41 PM
hhmmm, must be something with the browsers on certain computers. Mine seem to work ok here at home and work.

steelersgal86
07-23-2008, 07:46 PM
mine works at both home and work...but at work it is slower...:eek1:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-23-2008, 08:16 PM
the reason it's alittle bit slower, the smilie menu that is, is because it's loading up all the smilies in the menu for you to choose from vs the prev. style that loaded up 8 at a time to choose from. Mine at work is a tad slower than here at home too when I first open the menu.

NOVA STEELERS
07-24-2008, 08:45 AM
IMO It has to be operator error :rofl: :sHa_sarcasticlol:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-24-2008, 10:50 AM
the issue that Psycho is having showed up for me this morning now at work (intermittent) but seems to be ok at home. has to be something with the way certain computers and browsers work with the shoutbox. if we can come up with anything we'll certainly do it.