PDA

View Full Version : Moore off to good start with Steelers

Captcoolhand
07-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Early reports from Pittsburgh suggest RB Mewelde Moore could prove a free-agent steal, the way we hear it, with the play of the ex-Vikings back in offseason workouts drawing comparisons to Patriots pass-catching RB Kevin Faulk from a veteran Steelers observer. Moore, who signed a three-year contract reportedly worth up to $4.95 million in March, has a chance to be Pittsburgh’s most formidable receiving threat out of the backfield in recent memory. The Steelers haven’t had a back catch 40 passes since Amos Zereoue caught that many in 2003, and you have to go back to 1994 to find a Pittsburgh back with 50 catches or more (FB John L. Williams, who caught a team-high 51 passes). Moore is unlikely to be in the mix for the team lead in receptions, but he could be more of an offensive threat than may have been expected.
Imo, He just needs to stay healthy

BlitzburghNation
07-04-2008, 09:12 AM
I plum forgot about Melwede,,,,,,,Sure hope he comes through for us on ST :crossfingers:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Man I remember John L Williams, I was so happy when he came to the team way back then. He gave us a couple good years and it was nice to have him on the team; he could catch out of the backfield as good or better than anybody.

As far as Moore goes, the dude is already a legitimate, proven, threat and if he stays healthy our offense will have a dimension added to it that we aren't used to seeing. I can't wait to see him in action!

AZ_Steeler
07-04-2008, 02:09 PM
This dude had a good few months a couple years back until he got hurt. As long as he can stay healthy he should be productive and a good pickup for the Steelers... he could probably even return some punts :dunno:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Man I remember John L Williams, I was so happy when he came to the team way back then. He gave us a couple good years and it was nice to have him on the team; he could catch out of the backfield as good or better than anybody.

As far as Moore goes, the dude is already a legitimate, proven, threat and if he stays healthy our offense will have a dimension added to it that we aren't used to seeing. I can't wait to see him in action!

John L was money on 3rd downs...He seemed to always know were the first down marker was and always seem to inch past it every time...lol Such an under-rated role player for those early/mid 90 Steeler teams....

K Train
07-04-2008, 06:31 PM
its funny cause bg32 has thrown out the faulk comparions before

BlitzburghRockCity
07-05-2008, 07:03 AM
If he can produce anything like Faulk does we'll definitely have gotten a gem and one of the steals of the FA market this season. It's funny, back when he was with the Vikings I was watching him play and I remember saying to myself how nice it would be for us to have a productive guy like that to play a 3rd down role for us...maybe Im psychic :dunno: :D

Iron City South
07-05-2008, 10:45 AM
This makes Parker even more expendible as trade bait.

Captcoolhand
07-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Moore is Not an every-down Back that we can even consider the thought of trading Parker....

Moore for 1 can't stay healthy and 2nd, He only shows sparks but hardly/never gets on fire. :2cents:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Moore missed four games last year....But in 2005 and 2006 Moore played in all 16 games......His rookie year in 2004 he played in 10 games....I don't know his rookie year he could have been deactivated and didn't dress for some of those games....So he might not have missed those games because of injury.....I wouldn't exactly call Moore injury prone...lol The NFL is contact sport so yea players will miss games from time to time...Plus will be only a 3rd down back and punt returner for us....

If he can prove to our version of Keven Faulk then I would call the Moore signing
a success...He won't be a great punt returner but he will be consistent in his returns....Which will be an upgrade....

MDSteel15
07-05-2008, 07:53 PM

I feel dumber after reading this... Thanks

Iron City South
07-06-2008, 12:18 AM
I feel dumber after reading this... Thanks

Trust me, you were off to a good start already. :yellowthumb:

Stairwayto7
07-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Well if our O line just comes together, then we could put up some points

TEEMONT
07-06-2008, 02:37 PM

Expendable maybe....but expendible, probably not.

Parker is not going to be traded. We all have seen how well a 2 back system works with this offense. Moore is not a 12-20 carry a game back though, he never will be one either. He can return the hell out of some kicks, and maybe come in for some 3rd downs, but he won't be a major part of the running game at all.

Parker and Mendenhall are going to be one hell of a combo, and whether you like it or not, Parker is going to be the starter for a year or two.

Moore was a great pick-up and made Dookie expendable (theres that word again) but he isn't going to make Parker expendable.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

Well if our O line just comes together, then we could put up some points

I really think they will come together pretty well. The more I think about it, Mahan just killed this line last year. My son could have played center better than he did. Our big hole, IMO, is going to be whoever plays LG. I think Hartwig will play well, and if healthy Marvel can be a Pro-Bowl caliber LT. Simmons has always been solid. Starks finally got the fire lit late in the season, so the right side of the line is going to be solid. I just hope Colon wins the LG spot, he is more "game ready".

Even if the line plays bad (last year) with the additions of Sweed and Mendy, we will probably put up at least one more TD a game IMO.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-06-2008, 04:50 PM
I agree on both accounts Tee......Parker isn't going anywhere even when he isn't the starter anymore...He still will have a role with the team.....I think Mendenhall will start sooner rather then later....But I don't know when for sure...I think 2009 most likely will when Mendenhall will be the starter....Parker still will be a factor in the running game.....I'm pumped to see both as a combo....Moore will be the punt returner and a Kevin Faulk type 3rd down back...He will only carry the ball 30 times a year.....

I also agree with the OL.....I don't expect them to be great...But I do think they could be better then last year....

K Train
07-06-2008, 05:59 PM
ive heard hes looked like one of the bigger FA steals this year

Skol Vikings
07-07-2008, 02:35 AM
Hello to all the Steeler addicts out there.

I just wanted to say that you guys got an exciting player in Mewelde Moore, or MeMo as we call him. This dude can make plays. Hes not extremely fast or powerful but he makes people miss consistently like he has his jersey loaded with grease.

There are alot of Vikings fans like myself who could never figure out why he fell into the doghouses of two different coaching regimes. Its possible that he refused to play through certain injuries that the staffs that he should have... but nobody knows. Hes a good guy so being a problem in the lockerroom is highly unlikely. Hes the type of a guy a regular fan can strike a conversation with at training camp and get no cliches but a real honest conversation.

I am also a Gophers football fan and would expect memo to take away any tiny possibility of Gary Russell ever seeing the field... even though they are totally different players. When it comes to playmaking ability its not even close.

I expect him to make quite an impact as a RB but he should make some plays on special teams at the very least.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-07-2008, 02:57 AM
Hello to all the Steeler addicts out there.

I just wanted to say that you guys got an exciting player in Mewelde Moore, or MeMo as we call him. This dude can make plays. Hes not extremely fast or powerful but he makes people miss consistently like he has his jersey loaded with grease.

There are alot of Vikings fans like myself who could never figure out why he fell into the doghouses of two different coaching regimes. Its possible that he refused to play through certain injuries that the staffs that he should have... but nobody knows. Hes a good guy so being a problem in the lockerroom is highly unlikely. Hes the type of a guy a regular fan can strike a conversation with at training camp and get no cliches but a real honest conversation.

I am also a Gophers football fan and would expect memo to take away any tiny possibility of Gary Russell ever seeing the field... even though they are totally different players. When it comes to playmaking ability its not even close.

I expect him to make quite an impact as a RB but he should make some plays on special teams at the very least.

Welcome to the site......I hope you stick around.....I like having other teams fans around.....Go to our introduction forum and introduce yourself.......

I was pumped when Moore was signed...He is one of those role players that you need....I expect him to bail out Ben many times on 3rd down this year.....Plus he should help the Steelers punt return game...