PDA

View Full Version : Penguins sign Dupuis, agree to extension with Malkin

Prosdo
07-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Penguins sign Dupuis, agree to extension with Malkin
Tuesday, July 01, 2008
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Penguins made their first free-agent signing today, agreeing to a three-year deal with forward Pascal Dupuis.

They also have worked out a contract extension for center Evgeni Malkin. Although the deal has not been finalized, it will be patterned after Sidney Crosby's contract, which means it will run five years and include an annual salary-cap hit of $8.7 million.

Dupuis' contract is believed to be worth $1.4 million per season.

Dupuis was acquired from Atlanta in the Marian Hossa deal Feb. 26, and became a valuable and versatile member of the Penguins' supporting cast.

Dupuis had two goals and 10 assists in 16 regular-season games, then added two goals and five assists in 20 playoff appearances.

Dupuis was one of 10 unrestricted free agents the Penguins had when the day began. The other nine are now officially able to entertain contract offers from the other 29 NHL teams, although the Penguins haven't ruled out trying to re-sign at least a few.

The Penguins owned exclusive negotiating rights to those players -- forwards Marian Hossa, Jarkko Ruutu, Georges Laraque, Adam Hall, Jeff Taffe and Kris Beech, defensemen Brooks Orpik and Mark Eaton and goalie Ty Conklin -- until noon, at which time the league's labor agreement gave them clearance to seek work elsewhere.

Hossa, widely regarded as the top forward available in free agency, is expected to attract a number of big-money offers, with unconfirmed reports suggesting he could receive proposals featuring an average salary of as much as $10 million.

Orpik figures to generate a lot of interest around the league, too, and some projections have him in line for offers worth $4 million or more per season.

The Penguins are allowed to coninue negotiating with those two, as well as their other free agents, and are believed to still have offers on the table.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

First published on July 1, 2008 at 11:41 am

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08183/893945-100.stm

Awesome news right here! Now let's lock up Hossa!

SteelerDan43
07-01-2008, 05:30 PM
If it takes 10 million I say let Hossa walk, maybe if you can get him for like 7 but I doubt it. I would say Staal would be like 6 or 7 when he comes up and I want to keep the core together. Of the others named I would certainly like to see Ruutu, Hall, and Laraque signed. I dont think we will be able to sign Conklin either...

Prosdo
07-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Conklin is now a Redwing. I think Georges is as good as gone. They just signed Eric Godard.

SteelerDan43
07-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Conklin is now a Redwing. I think Georges is as good as gone. They just signed Eric Godard.

I really liked what Laraque did in the playoffs, that whole line was really something... They need to keep that kind of grit, with Malone gone and if Georges leaves they will lose alot there.

Prosdo
07-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Eric Godard is the same type of player as Georges. He is an enforcer.

SteelersfaninPhilly
07-01-2008, 11:07 PM
Hossa is gone. Has been gone for a week.

BlacknGold Bleeder
07-02-2008, 12:33 AM
Like the DuPuis signing, if Orpik is gonna get 4 million a year then it's time for him to go.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-02-2008, 07:02 AM
Orpik's preference is to stay in Pittsburgh so if they can come fairly close to what he's being offered then there's a decent chance that he'll stay :crossfingers: but man we so need Hossa back, he's been offered the world so far but it sure would be awesome get him back. If we could keep him, Crosby, and Malkin together for a good line time, oh man :woot:

TEEMONT
07-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Hossa is a Red Wing now....

Prosdo
07-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Hossa is a Red Wing now....

I know. Why the freaking Red Wings! We had the better offer I am starting to wonder if there was some conflict with the organization or the coaching staff.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-02-2008, 08:43 PM
What a bunch of crap, as if the Wings need any more help as it is! I never heard of any problems between him and the Pens ownership or anything :evilshake: This really f'n sucks!

SteelerDan43
07-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Orpik is staying a penguin...

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08184/894419-100.stm

SteelerFan87
07-03-2008, 06:18 PM
I know. Why the freaking Red Wings! We had the better offer I am starting to wonder if there was some conflict with the organization or the coaching staff.

No, Hossa is just a dirty lying traitorous snake. Not to mention idiotic. His deal with Detroit makes no sense from any perspective. Financially, one year for a couple hundred thousand more than we were offering him per year for 5-7 years doesn't make sense. His comment that he thinks he has a better chance to win there makes even less, because he'll have ONE CHANCE with the Wings, as opposed to 5-7 chances with the Pens. The Pens are a young up and coming team. The Wings are old and have probably reached their peak. Hossa will be in for a rude awakening when the Wings don't get to avoid both Anaheim and San Jose like they did this year, and one of those big physical teams shuts them down like they have the past few years. Then he'll have to guess the next team he thinks will win the Cup, and so on and so on.

But anyway, I'm glad the Pens locked up Eaton, Orpik, Malkin, and Fleury. But Miroslav Satan? NOOOO!!!
And Naslund just signed with the Rangers?? NOOOOOO!!!!

Please God let the Pens bring back Jags. :pray: