PDA

View Full Version : Malone/Roberts rights traded to TB

stlrbum
06-28-2008, 03:13 PM
The Tampa Bay Lightning's new ownership group vowed to be "staggeringly aggressive' in the NHL's free agent sweepstakes and they are trying to get a head start on that.

Sources tell TSN the Lightning have traded a fourth-round draft pick to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for the exclusive negotiating rights to forwards Ryan Malone and Gary Roberts, who are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents on July 1.

Sources say if the Lightning were to sign Malone, the more coveted free agent of the two, the fourth-round pick would become a third round pick.

Malone has indicated he intends to go to July 1 to see what the market would bear for his services. Whether this development changes that remains to be seen. It is more likely the Lightning may be able to sign the veteran Roberts, who said during the playoffs that he intended to play again but knew it would not be for the Penguins.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241905&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl

Prosdo
06-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Well they weren't going to sign with them so atleast they are going to get something.

SteelerDan43
06-28-2008, 04:39 PM
So they get a pick for the rights to two guys for a week? Thats sounds like a great deal to me, especially when we were certainly not going to sign one of them...

Stlrs4Life
06-28-2008, 09:39 PM
I really hate to lose Malone.

susielr
06-28-2008, 10:15 PM
I will miss Malone also. I loved the fact that he played here and grew up here.

SteelerDan43
06-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Malone is not necessarily gone, unless they sign him in the next week we can sign him back as he becomes unrestricted...

stlrbum
06-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Malone is not necessarily gone, unless they sign him in the next week we can sign him back as he becomes unrestricted...
Malone is gone!

Sportsnet.ca -- The Tampa Bay Lightning have agreed to terms with forward Ryan Malone on what is expected to be a seven-year deal exceeding just over $31 million, Sportsnet has learned.

The Lightning acquired the right to both Malone and Gary Roberts from the Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday.

Roberts is close to signing a one-year deal with Tampa Bay that has the potential to reach $2 million.

An announcement could come as early as Monday.

http://sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/06/29/lightning_signings/

BlitzburghRockCity
07-06-2008, 10:43 AM
This team is going to have a different look next year; the depth is not going to be there like it was the last few years so now we need to hope that whoever else is brought in and the remaining guys can pick up the slack.

SteelCityMan786
07-06-2008, 11:10 AM
This team is going to have a different look next year; the depth is not going to be there like it was the last few years so now we need to hope that whoever else is brought in and the remaining guys can pick up the slack.

I could see this year being Pittsburgh vs. Tampa Bay for the Eastern Conference finals to be honest. The Lightning have been very active this year in the FA pool and it would not be surprising if Melrose has them rolling from the start.

SteelerFan87
07-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Nah. If the Lightning turn things around it will be because they finally have some good players to play with Lecavalier and St.Louis. I doubt Melrose will be a big positive factor. I love Barry, but he's been out of the league too long, and wasn't really a great coach to begin with.

Even with the players they've signed, they're probably looking at contending for one of the last few playoff spots at best. Which is a pretty damn good turn around after finishing last.

I still think the Easter Conference is between the Pens, Canadiens, Rangers, and maybe Washington.