PDA

View Full Version : Steelers looking to trade Davenport..Update 6/28, Now Released Dookie

steelcitysfinestXL
06-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Posted: 30 minutes ago
Steelers looking to trade RB Davenport
NFL.com Wire Reports

The Steelers are looking to trade running back Najeh Davenport and are calling teams to gauge interest in a trade, NFL Network's Adam Schefter is reporting.

Davenport played in 15 games -- starting one -- for the Steelers in 2007, scoring five touchdowns while rushing for 499 yards. Davenport has played two seasons for the Steelers after spending the first four years of his career in Green Bay.

IMO this is a very smart move seeing is how he may have been cut anyway... If he isnt gonna play a signifigant role on this team, then deal him now!

TEEMONT
06-27-2008, 02:49 PM
God please get matt jones.....

seriously though i algree with XL, i think this is a great idea. I dont knwo how many teams will bite on it though. Maybe package him wth polamalu?/

steelcityrockers
06-27-2008, 02:54 PM
I can't imagine many people would want to trade for him. Personally, I would take Alexander, Kevin Jones, Ron Dayne, and Lamont Jordan over him...

steelcitysfinestXL
06-27-2008, 03:13 PM
I can't imagine many people would want to trade for him. Personally, I would take Alexander, Kevin Jones, Ron Dayne, and Lamont Jordan over him...
True, i dont see us getting much for him... but its better to get some value now rather than cut him. Ill take a back up DE thats a step up from eason and Trav-K, that can cover kicks!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
06-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Im not sure how smart of a move this is, he's a veteran who is very versatile. From a financial standpoint it's a smart move but it does worry me alittle.

K Train
06-27-2008, 04:23 PM
alexander, travis henry, kevin jones have not been drawing any interest....davenport is better than all of them.

i saw this thread and i was like god let it be troy lol

mental.apparition
06-27-2008, 05:16 PM

You're ****ing kidding right?

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/27/steelers-dump-davenport/

I bet he finds a job before Alexander, Henry and Jones.

Cya, Dookie!

Parker
Mendenhall
Moore
Russell
Davis

Some potential there.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-27-2008, 05:19 PM
I mentioned the Steelers Davenport for a late round pick about a month ago....So I'm not surprised.....There isn't really a need for him on the team anymore......I don't care if they get a 7th round pick for him...It would be better then nothing....

K Train
06-27-2008, 05:21 PM
I mentioned the Steelers Davenport for a late round pick about a month ago....So I'm not surprised.....There isn't really a need for him on the team anymore......I don't care if they get a 7th round pick for him...It would be better then nothing....

they released him....we got nothing lol

memo better ****ing work out cause i liked davenport

Stlrs4Life
06-27-2008, 05:27 PM
From NFL.com:

Steelers cut veteran running back Davenport
NFL.com Wire Reports

The Steelers cut running back Najeh Davenport on Friday, NFL Network's Adam Schefter is reporting.

Davenport played in 15 games -- starting one -- for the Steelers in 2007, scoring five touchdowns while rushing for 499 yards. Davenport played two seasons for the Steelers after spending the first four years of his career in Green Bay.

K Train
06-27-2008, 05:29 PM
to late

Black@Gold Forever32
06-27-2008, 05:29 PM

memo better ****ing work out cause i liked davenport

Did they just cut him?......Moore will be fine....But its not like he will get many carries...He will mainly be the 3rd down back and the punt returner....With Parker and Mendenhall there just wasn't a need to keep Davenport....Those two will get 400 carries between them....Moore might get 25-30 carries....Plus the team is still high on Gary Russell......He won't be anything more then a role player but that was what Davenport was....

Koopa
06-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Im not sure how smart of a move this is, he's a veteran who is very versatile. From a financial standpoint it's a smart move but it does worry me alittle.

why would you be worried?? even just a little?? sure he's a veteran, but he's a ****ing bum........ mendenhall is the only back we need, and we have moore who has actually proven he can be a starter in this league.......... dookie has never proven anything other then you can get maybe 6 carries out of him

BlitzburghRockCity
06-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Mendenhall will be great for us, I have little doubt of that. The reason I like Davenport is mainly because of his ability to fill in on ST, play fullback, runningback, and be a viable 3rd down player for us as well as just a general veteran to have around among a RB stable that is overall pretty young. If he leaves I won't lose any sleep over it..LOL but personally I'd like to see him stay. Im just not sold on Russel that much yet but we shall see.

Koopa
06-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Mendenhall will be great for us, I have little doubt of that. The reason I like Davenport is mainly because of his ability to fill in on ST, play fullback, runningback, and be a viable 3rd down player for us as well as just a general veteran to have around among a RB stable that is overall pretty young. If he leaves I won't lose any sleep over it..LOL but personally I'd like to see him stay. Im just not sold on Russel that much yet but we shall see.

did you totally forget we signed moore this offseason?? he's gonna be our third down back, he's gonna produce more on special teams, and we still have carey davis to play fullback......... and how often did dookie even play fullback?? i don't remember seeing him play

Black@Gold Forever32
06-27-2008, 05:43 PM

The Steelers need some cap room....I'm sure they're interested in maybe resigning Marvel Smith to an extension....We all know once the season starts they will kill contract talks...I think thats another reason why Dookie was flushed.....It would be nice if they could get that long term deal done with Starks....But why would Starks do that?.....He is making over 6.5 this year which is way to much.....Steelers really screwed the pooch with that one....:lol:

K Train
06-27-2008, 05:44 PM
yeah we cut him, that didnt last long looking for offers lol

Black@Gold Forever32
06-27-2008, 05:47 PM
yeah we cut him, that didnt last long looking for offers lol

Teams probably figured we were going to cut anyway so why give up anything for him....

BlitzburghRockCity
06-27-2008, 05:49 PM
did you totally forget we signed moore this offseason?? he's gonna be our third down back, he's gonna produce more on special teams, and we still have carey davis to play fullback......... and how often did dookie even play fullback?? i don't remember seeing him play

nope, I didn't forget. I have big expectations for Moore; he's going to be a great addition to us on offense and in our return game. Davenport doesn't play FB but he can play it for us and if Davis it the only true FB on the roster, which he probably will be then I'd just rather have Davenport there than Russel at this point. If he ( Russel ) plays well in camp this year that will be a real bonus for us since he'll probably make the team.

The Steelers need some cap room....I'm sure they're interested in maybe resigning Marvel Smith to an extension....We all know once the season starts they will kill contract talks...I think thats another reason why Dookie was flushed.....It would be nice if they could get that long term deal done with Starks....But why would Starks do that?.....He is making over 6.5 this year which is way to much.....Steelers really screwed the pooch with that one....:lol:

yeah I know right, I bet Max is just sitting there counting his cash knowing he's got us over a barrel right now. He knows if he signs long term he'll be otaking a lot less this year so why not just wait till the season is over and then try to work out a deal with us and if it doesn't happen he'll be able t sign elsewhere. This is a test for Max too though because if he really wants to stay with us and guarantee a future ( well as much as you can in today's NFL ) then he would want to sign a long term deal with us. At this point IF he signs an extension it will probably be just before camp starts or during camp.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-27-2008, 05:57 PM
nope, I didn't forget. I have big expectations for Moore; he's going to be a great addition to us on offense and in our return game. Davenport doesn't play FB but he can play it for us and if Davis it the only true FB on the roster, which he probably will be then I'd just rather have Davenport there than Russel at this point. If he ( Russel ) plays well in camp this year that will be a real bonus for us since he'll probably make the team.

yeah I know right, I bet Max is just sitting there counting his cash knowing he's got us over a barrel right now. He knows if he signs long term he'll be otaking a lot less this year so why not just wait till the season is over and then try to work out a deal with us and if it doesn't happen he'll be able t sign elsewhere. This is a test for Max too though because if he really wants to stay with us and guarantee a future ( well as much as you can in today's NFL ) then he would want to sign a long term deal with us. At this point IF he signs an extension it will probably be just before camp starts or during camp.

Is Starks even going to start this year?....Smith is healthy and will start at LT.....It looks like Willie Colon will remain as and OT which he probably will start at RT....Unless Starks beats him out....That would leave Starks as one expensive backup for this year.....With that huge one year salary I expect Max Starks to come out destroy people and winning the RT job......But I doubt that happens....I say resign Smith and let Starks walk after the year.....Then look to draft an OT or two...If the Steelers have to trade up to land a top OT then so be it....

K Train
06-27-2008, 06:01 PM
i would trade our future away to get 3 first round picks and land oher, smith and jackson lol

BlitzburghRockCity
06-27-2008, 06:01 PM
That's the million dollar question and quite possibly a big reason why Max hasn't signed an extension or the Steelers haven't gone after him more aggressively now. heading into camp Colon is penciled in as the starter but you can bet Max will have every chance and then some to win that job. If he doesn't win it outright then we'll be better off in the future by going after another Tackle next year. Tony Hills will probably step in for Marvel unless the Rooney's decide to shell out a ton of cash for an aging veteran :rolleyes: ...so yeah this is a big year for us, our cap, and Starks.

K Train
06-27-2008, 06:05 PM
were gonna resign smith :markit:

id rather have colon on the field regardless how starks plays, if starks can handle RT again let him have it but put colon on the field at guard. then your stuck with the choice of kemoeatevery****ingthinghesees and simmons...which isnt a good problem to have, its more of a chore because its a no win situation...you just gotta hope you can at least break even

Captcoolhand
06-27-2008, 06:47 PM
I wouldnt count out Justin Hartwig just yet. I got a feeling that he will be in the mix but not at Center.:banging:

K Train
06-27-2008, 07:03 PM
I wouldnt count out Justin Hartwig just yet. I got a feeling that he will be in the mix but not at Center.:banging:

whos counting him out? hes one that i feel good about lol, capt dont take that away from me lol

he'll be our center

BlitzburghRockCity
06-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Hartwig isn't going to have to do very much to win the starting job; look at his competition :nonod: :lol:

Now is the time for the players on the OL to finally step up and take the jobs that are up for grabs; for so long now training camp competitions on the line resulted in the incumbents getting the nod. Sometimes because they play the best but sometimes just because they have no real compeition. Look at last year; 3 positions were up for grabs on the OL and nobody won the jobs outright in camp and we ended up with a turnstyle.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-27-2008, 08:17 PM
i would trade our future away to get 3 first round picks and land oher, smith and jackson lol

I would settle for Oher and Jackson....:lol:

I hope Willie Colon improves...I do like Colon...I just think he is better suited at OG....I think he could be a badass OG....I think he is an average at best OT.....I hope the proves me wrong and is a badass this year since he looks like he will remain at RT...I'm not a Max Starks fan....I didn't mind the Steelers drafting him since he was just a 3rd round pick.....But he has been average at best his 4 years with the Steelers....To damn inconsistent and is terrible in pass protection...I also hate the idea of having sit the bench with that huge one year salary...I would at least try Colon at OG and let Starks start at RT...If Starks is terrible then move Colon back to RT....

Hartwig will be the center Capt.....No doubt about it.....I hope that at least should help Simmons and Kemoeatu.....Kemo is going to be a mauler in the run game but I see him struggling in pass pro....

Captcoolhand
06-27-2008, 08:53 PM
whos counting him out? hes one that i feel good about lol, capt dont take that away from me lol

he'll be our center
Letting Okobi walk was a mistake being that Mahan was a bust.
Now we got Hartwig. I believe he could do better at C but will they utilize him there, Probaby not. Hartwig is also skilled at other positions.
Point making.....
We have an overpaid line that can not amount to nothing and owners that aren't watching.

Smith-great
whoever
who knows
Simmon- rg
Starks- rt....overpaid

Hey maybe moving Mahan to tackle and puting hartwig at Center will work out, Let hope something.

K Train
06-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Letting Okobi walk was a mistake being that Mahan was a bust.
Now we got Hartwig. I believe he could do better at C but will they utilize him there, Probaby not. Hartwig is also skilled at other positions.
Point making.....
We have an overpaid line that can not amount to nothing and owners that aren't watching.

Smith-great
whoever
who knows
Simmon- rg
Starks- rt....overpaid

Hey maybe moving Mahan to tackle and puting hartwig at Center will work out, Let hope something.

this whole thing kinda blows my mind dude. hartwig is here to be our center and nothing else....

did you say move mahan to tackle? lol did that just happen?

BlitzburghRockCity
06-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Hartwig is a Center; it's what he does and what he was brought in for. He's a quality guy who shouldn't have any problem anchoring our line. Let's face it, if Mahan is his main competition then I have all the confidence in the world in Hartwig..LOL

K Train
06-27-2008, 10:43 PM
but he said...move mahan to tackle. i want to cry thinking about that.

where the hell is steel58

BlitzburghRockCity
06-27-2008, 10:56 PM
Yeah I saw, maybe he was getting his backups mixed up or something :lol: My God the thought of moving Mahan anywhere on the starting OL is enough to make me run out into traffic ;)

As a backup, he's versatile enough to fill in a temporary basis especially at Guard but anything more than that well...

steelcityrockers
06-28-2008, 12:02 AM
but he said...move mahan to tackle. i want to cry thinking about that.

where the hell is steel58

I literally laughed out loud, which made my sister look at me funny.

[AutoMerged Post Below]

You're ****ing kidding right?

Indeed I am not. I could launch into a tirade and explain how every back there is superior to Nahjeh, but it is 12:00 and I am tired.

K Train
06-28-2008, 12:08 AM
davenport is by far the best back on the market right now...he may end up a bengal

steelcityrockers
06-28-2008, 12:12 AM
Wait, are you being sarcastic?

K Train
06-28-2008, 12:14 AM
no...compared to alexander, jones and the other goons out there....davenport is the best one

steelcityrockers
06-28-2008, 12:19 AM
Jones, if he is healthy, is a better back. As is Ron Dayne. Alexander...yeah he sucks. Jordan looked good in 05 and this year he was tearing it up before hurting his back. Davenport always will be nothing more than an OK change of pace guy. The rest have started and performed effectively. Fookie can get lie, 6 solid carries per game, but no more.

K Train
06-28-2008, 12:22 AM
ok maybe jordan....but jones CANT stay healthy...we have yet to see a healthy kevin jones, alexander blows and dayne is a joke. travis henry is way better but is probably looking at a suspension

steelcityrockers
06-28-2008, 12:28 AM
In 04 Jones was mostly healthy and made the Pro Bowl as an alternate in his rookie year. Dayne has probably been the most underrated back the last two years in Houston.

[AutoMerged Post Below]
I would also like to say I am not sure why I called him Fookie...

K Train
06-28-2008, 12:29 AM
they let him go though....the texans let him go lol

they have ahman green who is old and dying and they let dayne walk...thats gotta say something

steelcityrockers
06-28-2008, 12:33 AM
They have Chris Brown, Chris Taylor (most haven't heard of him but the coaching staff is VERY high on him), Steve Slaton, Ahman Green (who is a joke), and Darius Walker who looked good in limited time last year. Dayne was just caught in a numbers game.

K Train
06-28-2008, 12:37 AM
They have Chris Brown, Chris Taylor (most haven't heard of him but the coaching staff is VERY high on him), Steve Slaton, Ahman Green (who is a joke), and Darius Walker who looked good in limited time last year. Dayne was just caught in a numbers game.

**** chris brown, **** green.

taylor...ill believe it when i see it, everyone is high on everyone this time of year. Slaton could be a baller in their zone blocking...but thats the thing about the zone blocking....they can make a scrub like walker look good in limited time and make dayne the most underrated back the last 2 years....they suck though

steelcityrockers
06-28-2008, 12:46 AM
Taylor actually fits the scheme really well. I wasn't a huge fan of Chris Brown, but he can be effective in a committee. Green is a fraud. Slaton does have potential, but I really wasn't a huge fan of him other than a Change-Up guy. Darius Walker could be another good committee guy. Oh and Taylor had 99 yards two years ago in his only NFL game (lost last year to injury)

Captcoolhand
06-28-2008, 12:47 AM
it doesn't take much to get you guys going....:D

K Train
06-28-2008, 12:50 AM
like i said...everyone fits that scheme

BlackGold4vr
06-28-2008, 02:16 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers have released running back Najeh Davenport, clearing a spot in their crowded backfield.

Davenport, who had joined the Steelers in 2006 after being released by Green Bay, had been the primary backup to starter Willie Parker. But the Steelersí selection of Rashard Mendenhall and signing of free agent Mewelde Moore during the offseason made Davenport expendable.

The Steelers reportedly attempted to trade the seven-year veteran, but found no takers.

Davenport rushed for a career-high 499 yards on 107 carries with five touchdowns last season, starting the regular season finale and the teamís playoff loss to Jacksonville after Parker suffered a season-ended broken leg.

This caught me by surprise a little. I would have thought they would have at least given the guy a chance to compete for a spot in training camp. So long Dookie! You were a nice temp and did some good things for the Black&Gold. Good Luck to you.

:helmet:

Koopa
06-28-2008, 03:38 AM
i went ahead and merged the threads..............

i'm so happy dookie is gone, he was a ****ing bum

Black@Gold Forever32
06-28-2008, 03:54 AM
i went ahead and merged the threads..............

i'm so happy dookie is gone, he was a ****ing bum

But thats not saying much.....Most players are bums according to you....:lol: But I'm glad he is gone to....No need to keep him on the roster with Mendenhall, Moore, and Russell......

BlitzburghRockCity
06-28-2008, 06:02 AM
This caught me by surprise a little. I would have thought they would have at least given the guy a chance to compete for a spot in training camp. So long Dookie! You were a nice temp and did some good things for the Black&Gold. Good Luck to you.

:helmet:

Im a little surprised because I'd have thought they'd let him fight it out with the other backups but I guess they felt they're set now with Mendenhall, Moore and Russel along with Davis and Parker. I had no problems with Davenport either, he was a servicable backup who filled in and did indeed some good things for us. He was behind the 8 ball with poor play from the OL just like everyone else so that didn't help his cause last year either. Either way we have a good group of guys now, a very young group so let's hope they are up to the task.

Silverback 92
06-28-2008, 03:10 PM
bye bye poop stain

Blitzburghpete
06-28-2008, 03:34 PM
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steelcityrockers
06-29-2008, 12:20 AM
Steel58? Is that you?

BlitzburghRockCity
06-29-2008, 01:14 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08181/893489-66.stm

Sunday, June 29, 2008
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Najeh Davenport made it appear the Steelers might not miss injured Willie Parker when he rushed for 123 yards and caught a 32-yard pass on a fake punt in a Week 15 victory last season in St. Louis.

He also started the American Football Conference wild-card playoff game against the Jacksonville Jaguars and scored two touchdowns.

But, after the Steelers signed veteran Mewelde Moore in free agency and, more important, drafted running back Rashard Mendenhall with the No. 1 pick, Davenport dropped on the depth chart and no longer fit into the team's plans -- especially when he was due to earn $1 million in base salary in 2008.

After trying to trade him, the Steelers released Davenport, 29, yesterday, ending a two-year relationship with the 252-pound running back who never quite became the battering-ram runner the team envisioned when they signed him as a free agent at the beginning of the 2006 season.

The Steelers released three other players to cut the roster to 82: Safety Mike Lorello of West Virginia, who spent parts of two seasons on the practice squad; first-year long-snapper Jared Retkofsky and rookie offensive lineman Doug Legursky. The Steelers must get to 80 players before training camp starts July 27.

The arrival of Mendenhall, a 225-pound running back from Illinois, dropped Davenport to at least the No. 3 back on the roster. And the signing of Moore, a running back/kick-returner with the Minnesota Vikings, likely eliminated any chance Davenport would again return kicks in 2008 -- a role he performed in 2006 when he averaged 21.3 yards on 21 returns.

There is another reason Davenport was released: The Steelers did not want to part with Gary Russell, a second-year free agent whom the coaches think can develop into a top-notch NFL running back.

Davenport was a fourth-round draft choice of the Green Bay Packers in 2002 who was used mainly as a backup to Ahman Green. In his first NFL start, he rushed for a career-high 178 yards and a touchdown on 19 carries against the St. Louis Rams on Monday Night Football -- the third-highest total by a player making his first start in 20 years.

In two seasons with the Steelers, Davenport rushed for 763 yards and seven touchdowns on 175 carries and caught 33 passes for 394 yards and three touchdowns.

If they think that highly of him ( and given our good track record with running backs over the years ) that's good enough for me then. He's young and has a lot to learn and if he sticks around long enough to make some noise on the team hopefully we'll see some return on our investment.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-29-2008, 03:59 AM
People have to remember Russell was a badass in college....I watched the dude play many time and was thrilled when the Steelers brought him as an undrafted FA...He would have been a first day pick if he hadn't flunked out of college....From what I have read this off-season...Russell has been impressing.....

SteelerSteve
06-29-2008, 02:58 PM

memo better ****ing work out cause i liked davenportI hated him because every time I played a game of madden 08, his slow *** was always returning kicks!:banging: I still haven't forgiven him for that.

Koopa
06-29-2008, 10:32 PM

just because dookie was a fat *** doesn't mean he can play fullback, dookie is to soft to play fullback, he makes ray allen look like the most hardcore basketball player in the history of basketball.......... just because dookie pounded the browns after willie ran for 200+ yards on them ppl think dookie is a truck............ i'm so happy this fool is gone, i hope no one signs him and he becomes homeless

K Train
06-30-2008, 01:01 AM
Steel58? Is that you?

:clap:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-01-2008, 12:49 AM
People have to remember Russell was a badass in college....I watched the dude play many time and was thrilled when the Steelers brought him as an undrafted FA...He would have been a first day pick if he hadn't flunked out of college....From what I have read this off-season...Russell has been impressing.....

Hopefully he's hitting the books as well as the weight room...LOL. He's obviously done something to impress the coaches so he's got his chance now. He won't see any significant playing time on offense unless there are some injuries so he's going to really have to seize every chance he gets to improve.