PDA

View Full Version : O'Donnell Payoff Consipracy

Hawk Believer
06-27-2008, 02:25 PM
OK, so here is a question from a non-Steeler fan. I have seen many Steeler fans justifiably bemoan Neil O'Donnell's performance in the 95 Superbowl. But I also see an occasional reference to the possibility of him being paid off to through the game.

Now obviously there hasn't been any proof of that happening or it would have been a gigantic scandal for the NFL. But what I can't tell is if, when people talk about the payoff, they are joking about how inexplicably frustrating his performance was or if they really believe he threw the game.

I'll go ahead and make it a poll.

K Train
06-27-2008, 02:34 PM
choke job+being terrible=losing

if he was paid off it better have been a legendary amount of money because he wasnt broke and the glory that comes with a superbowl is every players ultiate goal

AZ_Steeler
06-27-2008, 02:36 PM
I do believe you're right... if it actually did happen that O'Donnell was paid to blow the game it would be the biggest thing since probably the 1919 "Black" Sox scandal.

I know when I say it, it's more jokingly than anything but of course the thought lingers in the back of my head because those two interceptions were complete gimmes... there wasn't a Steeler player around :cursin:

More than likely someone didn't remember the play and ran a wrong route or threw it in the wrong spot.... but twice in one game!!!! :smh2:

SteelfordWexler
06-27-2008, 04:24 PM
More than likely someone didn't remember the play and ran a wrong route or threw it in the wrong spot.... but twice in one game!!!!

Didn't Ernie Mills tear an ACL in the first half? I think that caused some personnel changes in the second half which may have contributed to at least one of those painfull picks. The receiver read the coverage different than the QB. Of course there was a DB standing exactly where O'Donnel threw the ball - so the backup WR may have gotten it right.

I think it was a massive choke job by our QB - but I doubt very seriously that he was paid off.

TEEMONT
06-27-2008, 04:32 PM
omg who answered yes.....

BlitzburghRockCity
06-27-2008, 06:27 PM
We've all joked about it ever since they showed that shot of Jerry Jones taking a wad of cash out of his pocket when Odonnel threw that last INT in the 4th quarter. No one can really say for 100% whether or not it was all Neil throwing the wrong pattern or the WR's running the wrong routes or a combination of both but regardless he should have taken a split second to check before throwing those errant passes.

Stlrs4Life
06-27-2008, 06:29 PM
He wasn't paid off. But, terrible throws at the time. But, on the 1 int, Holliday ran the wrong pass route.

Preacher
06-28-2008, 01:07 AM
I keept saying it was a blown hot route/blitz issue.

Blitz came, O'Donnell read it one way, and through the hot route... receiver read it the other, and ran a fly pattern... or something like that...

Who knows.

I have said for years (Jokingly) that he was paid off.

In fact, it was just a horrible mistake...twice.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-28-2008, 09:46 AM
And the worst time to make such a horrific error. I can still remember when in the 3rd and 4th quarter when Bam Morris started gaining yards, the OL took control, and the DL was shutting down the entire offense of Dallas that we were going to come back and win. We were down 20-17 and driving and then BAM...thanks Neil! :evilshake:

BR7
06-28-2008, 11:35 AM
What bothers me till this day about that 'performance' is how durring the playoffs (even durring the beginning of the SB, it was mentioned) how Neil has one of the best TD/INT ratios. "he just doesn't make mistakes." Hollidays at fault for the most costly 2nd int. Like mentioned above.. he ran the wrong route. Anyone ever see any over head footage of the two throws in question? All you ever see is the usual footage.

Bam was finally getting yardage and the D was playing lights out. We had all the momentum in the world in the 4th quarter.. then poof. Must have been doing something right, Bam was the leading rusher. Thanks Neil :bigthumb: you ****ing asshat.

Forged in Steel
06-28-2008, 03:53 PM
How could he play good in all the other games and then be an a$$ and loose? FIXED!

DBR96A
07-01-2008, 08:08 AM
O'Donnell ****ed up, but saying the game was fixed is a bunch of tin-hat bullshit.

JB 67
07-09-2008, 01:54 PM
John madden said he never saw a Quarterback so nervous before the Super Bowl and O'Donnell played nervous the whole game.The receivers made him look much better than he was on many of the balls he threw.

bonesetter58
07-14-2008, 09:36 PM
He wasn't paid off. But, terrible throws at the time. But, on the 1 int, Holliday ran the wrong pass route.

Hey Stlrsforlife where did you get those Jack Mutha****in Lambert sings on your posting??? cool sh#$ and I need it. new to the steeleradddicts.com and have to know how to get that stuff

Long live the Master of the middle and best Linebacker ever!! #58!!!:tt02::helmet::cope::yellowthumb:

Troyisabeast_43
07-18-2008, 08:22 PM
And the worst time to make such a horrific error. I can still remember when in the 3rd and 4th quarter when Bam Morris started gaining yards, the OL took control, and the DL was shutting down the entire offense of Dallas that we were going to come back and win. We were down 20-17 and driving and then BAM...thanks Neil! :evilshake:

Let's not forget as well that Andre Hastings despite having I believe 10 catches in this game had some terrible drops I believe when he was completely wide open in the 4th quarter on a couple of those drives, and in particular the last drive when O'Donnell threw the 2nd interception to Larry Brown. That game was absolutely gut wrenching to watch because I will always believe despite the fact that Dallas did win that the Steelers were the better team that year, and much like Levon Kirkland and Leon Searcy said after that game Merry Christmas Cowboys!!! Because that is the only way the Cowboys did win that game is that the Steelers pretty much handed it to them on a silver platter. Aikman,Emmitt Smith,and Irvin had absolutely no answer for the Steelers defense especially in the 2nd half. The Cowboys won that game for one reason and one reason only and that being the Steelers gave it to them bottom line nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

TampaSteelGirl
04-03-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm STILL pissed off about that game!!!!!! Hawk how could ya do me like that???? :grin1:

Troyisabeast_43
04-03-2009, 05:23 PM
I thought it was Andre Hastings that ran the wrong route on that play and the Corey Holiday was wide open down the sideline on the post. Nonetheless, to this day I still believe the Steelers completely outplayed the Cowboys in this game all the way across the board especially in the 2nd half. Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin were both non-factors in the 2nd half, and the only way the Cowboys got points was off a short field on both O'Donnell interceptions. Levon Kirkland was just a beast in that game and was by far the best football player on the field that night in Super bowl XXX.

Callax
04-03-2009, 09:33 PM
the first pick was indecision by odonnell... he couldn't decide who to throw it to.... it was a 1/2 *** throw/attempt

the 2nd pick was wr running wrong route/ qb throwing wrong route... wr andre hastings ran curl IN odonnell threw like hastings was running a curl OUT
THAT "MISREAD" cost the win...
I believe some mental errors, not an exchange of money was the reason!!!

MOTORKRAFT
04-05-2009, 12:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kJaf9Vskhc. :wtf:

Stlrs4Life
04-07-2009, 10:01 PM
the first pick was indecision by odonnell... he couldn't decide who to throw it to.... it was a 1/2 *** throw/attempt

the 2nd pick was wr running wrong route/ qb throwing wrong route... wr andre hastings ran curl IN odonnell threw like hastings was running a curl OUT
THAT "MISREAD" cost the win...
I believe some mental errors, not an exchange of money was the reason!!!

It was Holliday, he even openly admitted to running the wrong route.

86WARD
06-16-2009, 05:46 PM

QFT!! Bam and Andre Hastings were on their way to Co-MVP...

:banging:

--- Added 6/16/2009 at 03:46 PM ---

BTW...who "paid" O'Donnell off? This is the silliest thing I've heard...

lloydfan4life
07-12-2009, 09:23 AM
We definitely were on the way to marching down the field to take the lead. :duh:
Thinking about that drive still hurts.
God was even heartbroken about that loss..... so he gave us Big Ben to make up for it!!! :yellowthumb:

TEEMONT
07-12-2009, 12:30 PM
If I ever personally meet the 12 people who voted "yes", I am going to punch you all in the face.

86WARD
07-12-2009, 04:33 PM
lol...

LA_STEEL
07-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Plain and simple. He sucked:willybs: