PDA

View Full Version : Strawberry Sweed and the rest of Big Benís giants

Captcoolhand
06-24-2008, 08:05 AM
One of the big men who will be giving Sweed a run for his money is second-year receiver Dallas Baker. 2008 could be a boom-or-bust year for the 6-3 Baker, an ex-Florida Gator, and he shouldnít be ignored in the position battle. The Steelers drafted Baker in the seventh round last year (No. 227 overall), but he didnít make the 53-man roster as a rookie; rather, he turned heads by regularly making plays on the practice squad.

Baker hasnít missed any practice or conditioning session this offseason. Heís also added five pounds of muscle to his body, and he spent his own time studying film with the Steelersí receivers coach. Both Tomlin and Roethlisberger have praised the giant steps Baker is making. But he still has a long way to go; after all making plays in practice is a lot different than making plays in the game. And Bakerís lack of high-end speed and quickness will put him at a disadvantage to his faster teammates.

As big as Sweed and Baker are, they wonít even be the tallest receivers at training camp. A pair of 6-6 giants will also be trying to turn heads. Matt Trannon will fight for a spot on Pittsburgh's roster after spending 2007 on various practice squads. The former Michigan State Spartan will have to show he can take a hit if wants to make the team. Meanwhile, Micah Rucker -- who was first-team all-Ohio Valley at Eastern Illinois last season -- signed with the Steelers as a rookie free agent, and he brings 4.4 speed.

The bottom line is that 11 receivers are entering camp for the Steelers, who could choose to keep up to six on their roster. Three spots are already reserved for established veterans Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes and Nate Washington (who made the team as an undrafted rookie in 2005). Many would assume Sweed would nab a fourth spot. That leaves the three other big guys battling for the final two positions with four other receivers. That could all change if Pittsburgh decides to keep three tight ends (speaking of giants, four of the five TEs going to camp are 6-5 or taller). But even if the high hopes are dashed for the rest of these tall targets, you canít say the Steelers didnít try to reach for the stars.Training Camp is coming......:cope::banana2::dance::markit:

steelcityrockers
06-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Does anybody have more info on Micah Rucker and/or Dezmond Sherrod? I can honestly say that I know next to nothing about him.

Captcoolhand
06-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Does anybody have more info on Micah Rucker and/or Dezmond Sherrod? I can honestly say that I know next to nothing about him.
Here are the numbers for 6í5, 217 lb. WR Micah Ruckerís Pro Day. Two 40s at 4.57 and 4.47 (the latter is great for someone that size), a 39-inch vertical jump, an 11-foot, 3-inch long jump, 4.57 short shuttle, 6.90 cone drill and 20 reps in the bench press. Can you say athlete?
If those numbers still donít get your attention, he torched the Cardinalís 1st round pick Ė Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Ė for two touchdown when they played. He seems to be a guy with good character and is coming to the Steelers as a free agent with a BIG chip on his shoulders. He said in an article that I read that his numbers compare to any wide receiver in this draft and all he wants is an opportunity.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-24-2008, 11:59 AM
This training camp could be one of the best we've ever seen in terms of battles for key positions including important backup spots. I can't wait to see how emerges as the future behind the current starters.

I think it's safe to assume that Sweed takes a WR spot so that leaves probably 2 more, maybe just if they keep 5. Personally I think keeping 5 is alittle risky so I'd go with 6 WR's and 3 TE's. It wouldn't be that bad to keep 2 TE's and then use someone like Starks in the jumbo package in short yardage when needed. the only problem with that is that if Miller or Spaeth gets hurt you really put yourself in a bad position of going out and trying to find someone so I'd rather keep 3.

yinzer
06-24-2008, 03:12 PM
i'm just so excited with all the potential we have now. can't wait for some stiller football!!!!!!!!!!! :tt02::cope:

ejsteeler
06-24-2008, 04:00 PM
I'll say it now, anything less than the Conference Championship will be a major let down. Of course, I believe we will go all the way though.....:cope: :yellowthumb:

K Train
06-24-2008, 04:08 PM
how bout they win the division and we'll go from there

steelerschick1220
06-24-2008, 04:54 PM
^ I agree. Just win the divison and get to the playoffs, and we will see what happens from there. I can't wait for football to come back. It is going to take September forever to get here, I can tell.

JensK
06-24-2008, 06:22 PM
^ I agree. Just win the divison and get to the playoffs, and we will see what happens from there. I can't wait for football to come back. It is going to take September forever to get here, I can tell.

Indeed it is. Im starting to watch "game of the week" on NFL network with the steelers game, so i can get somewhat of a fix :lol:

Personally, as long as we win the division i think we can be happy with the season. I know some ppl claime that everything but the SB ring is disapointing, but with the competition we'll get in our division this year, plus our stupid tough schedule, i think we have done what we came to do, when (yes i said when :-P) we win the division. Everything from there is just a nifty bonus!

steelcityrockers
06-24-2008, 09:56 PM
I say make the playoffs. That is the goal. Division is monumentally important, but not imperative. Look at 2005.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-24-2008, 10:12 PM
How about just having a injury free training camp/pre-season then go from there...lol....Way to early to think play-offs or Super Bowl title...lol

steelcityrockers
06-24-2008, 10:16 PM
True, True. Have to say that wins.

TEEMONT
06-25-2008, 02:45 AM
True, True. Have to say that wins.

wait wait wait...can we just get everyone signed first?

including matt jones....?

K Train
06-25-2008, 02:47 AM
oh good god you cant do this **** to me this late lol

Koopa
06-25-2008, 03:17 AM
how bout they win the division and we'll go from there

**** that, we don't' have a legit chance to win the superbowl, so lets tank and get oher

K Train
06-25-2008, 03:21 AM
**** that lets trade troy and ward to the falcons and get the first overall pick

Koopa
06-25-2008, 03:21 AM
**** that lets trade troy and ward to the falcons and get the first overall pick

throw in willie and i'd like that

K Train
06-25-2008, 03:23 AM
they dont need willie they got a real RB in turner

TEEMONT
06-25-2008, 03:25 AM

we should trade them for..............

matt jones

Koopa
06-25-2008, 03:25 AM

aww horse ****, maybe they can use as a waterboy :dunno:

TEEMONT
06-25-2008, 03:26 AM

ok you both went too far......lol

K Train
06-25-2008, 03:27 AM
we should trade them for..............

matt jones

just stay the **** away from booger.

i figure we can get the falcons pick, get oher, then use our pick on tyson jackson and then win the superbowl

K Train
06-25-2008, 03:28 AM
ok you both went too far......lol

lol that was purely intended because i saw you were viewing the thread lol

Koopa
06-25-2008, 03:29 AM
lol that was purely intended because i saw you were viewing the thread lol

i said it cause willie is a bum :lol:

TEEMONT
06-25-2008, 03:33 AM
i said it cause willie is a bum :lol:

i hate you

Koopa
06-25-2008, 03:36 AM
i hate you

no you don't

Steelersfan
06-25-2008, 09:55 PM

What's all this bashing Parker Koopa?

Remember this?

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6600&postcount=1

:lol::lol::lol:

K Train
06-25-2008, 10:19 PM
lol august of 06....oh **** i cant wait til he sees that lol

Koopa
06-25-2008, 10:24 PM
What's all this bashing Parker Koopa?

Remember this?

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6600&postcount=1

:lol::lol::lol:

that statement was based off the fact that i had never seen him carry the load, but after a i saw him carry the load i knew he had no talent

steelcityrockers
06-25-2008, 10:33 PM
He has talent. If he didn't he woldn't be in the NFL. His talent is comprable to any DFA RB. His only achievment was simply getting an opportunity and capitilizing off it.

Koopa
06-25-2008, 10:42 PM
He has talent. If he didn't he woldn't be in the NFL. His talent is comprable to any DFA RB. His only achievment was simply getting an opportunity and capitilizing off it.

he's still a bum, and mendenhall will take over this team in two years

steelcityrockers
06-25-2008, 10:46 PM
I agree. I would even say next year or late this year he could supplant Willie.

Steelersfan
06-25-2008, 11:22 PM
that statement was based off the fact that i had never seen him carry the load, but after a i saw him carry the load i knew he had no talent

And here I say Parker is too small and needs another back to take some of the load off, this was your reply in regards to Willie........

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11158&postcount=4

:scratch:

I'm just messing with ya Koopa! Just saw you bashing Willie and thought I remembered you liking him at the start so had to go look. That and it's funny going back and seeing what people said way back when............lol
You know I have never been a huge fan of Parker being the workhorse RB for the Steelers. Think he brings some good things to the team but feel he only brings speed. He is below average or average in all other aspects, catching, blocking, vision, etc.

steelcityrockers
06-25-2008, 11:25 PM
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. He does run pretty hard for someone his size, though.

Koopa
06-25-2008, 11:38 PM
And here I say Parker is too small and needs another back to take some of the load off, this was your reply in regards to Willie........

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11158&postcount=4

:scratch:

I'm just messing with ya Koopa! Just saw you bashing Willie and thought I remembered you liking him at the start so had to go look. That and it's funny going back and seeing what people said way back when............lol
You know I have never been a huge fan of Parker being the workhorse RB for the Steelers. Think he brings some good things to the team but feel he only brings speed. He is below average or average in all other aspects, catching, blocking, vision, etc.

that was the old me optimistic me lol, and i was trying to give willie a chance, now that he's gotten his chance, he's failed, sure he put up a couple of 1000+ season but he's failed and needs mendenhall to save his career lol

and these past post show why i will know longer be optimistic when it comes to the bum *** undrafted free agents

K Train
06-26-2008, 12:07 AM
lol at old optimistic koop....that dude died

TEEMONT
06-26-2008, 12:45 AM
I'm still not getting where Willie failed....at all.

And I swear if one of you ****s calls me a homer.....

K Train
06-26-2008, 12:48 AM
your one of the biggest non homers here. you just have a man crush on willie. its cool, were not here to judge

TEEMONT
06-26-2008, 01:14 AM
your one of the biggest non homers here. you just have a man crush on willie. its cool, were not here to judge

It's not a man crush. I can see bitching about Troy, and others, but Willie has done nothing but exceed expectations. He's a 2 time pro bowler, and I were building a team, I would take him over the Bus.

Mendenhall is going to help him a ton, but I don't think it's fair at all to call Willie a bum.

Could we have a better RB? Yeah, but Willie is no slouch, he is going to keep on getting better, and the Steelers are counting on it.

K Train
06-26-2008, 01:22 AM
It's not a man crush. I can see bitching about Troy, and others, but Willie has done nothing but exceed expectations. He's a 2 time pro bowler, and I were building a team, I would take him over the Bus.

Mendenhall is going to help him a ton, but I don't think it's fair at all to call Willie a bum.

Could we have a better RB? Yeah, but Willie is no slouch, he is going to keep on getting better, and the Steelers are counting on it.

Ok the bus in his prime before he was old and fat was a baller, he couldnt be stopped, he wasnt always fat he was jacked at one point and seriously just crushed the opposition on his way to the endzone....theres no way id take willie over the bus, maybe the bus in 05 but not in his prime.

Mendenhall will end up being the best and the worse thing to ever happen to willie, the best by keeping his legs fresh in the 4th quarter where a tired willie is worthless on the field, but the worse because hes going to take his job its not if, its when.

I dont think willie is a bum at all, i like him, he runs really hard for a little guy and falls forward but hes reached his potential, theres no getting better....what you see is what you get

Steelersfan
06-26-2008, 01:30 AM
If you are referring to me Tee, I never said he was a bum or a failure. I like him on the team but for certain roles but not to be the main back.
A few reasons I feel that way.
One is our D has shown time and time again that it is not effective in a shootout or when we score quickly. It is much, much better when they limit the amount of defensive plays so the blitzes can work better. You do that with ball control which we don't have with Willie back there.
The second is he only has speed. I think he tires a lot from a combination of the banging he gets with all those carries. IMO he would be much more of a threat if kept fresh the whole game and then hit the D when they are tired.
Third, he has pretty much been useless catching out of the backfield and for blocking. It sucks that we have to have a third down back, a blocking back, etc. I'd rather have a RB that is more well rounded and use the extra room on the team for a position we need far more help in, like ST's or a pass rushing DL or OL.....lol
Again, I like Parker, just feel we should use in differently is all.

K Train
06-26-2008, 01:32 AM
mendenhall is god awful in pass protection, thats really the only aspect that jonathan stewart schooled him in in the competition for being the best back in the draft, otherwise it was dead even between those two

Koopa
06-26-2008, 01:37 AM
I'm still not getting where Willie failed....at all.

And I swear if one of you ****s calls me a homer.....

because he hasn't made the team better, he ran a **** load of times more then anyone else and before he broke down he only had a few yards then the next guy who had ran 40 less times then him, that's why he's a failure........... he's just not an impact player, any running back could've came in last year with all those damn carries and got 1000+ yards...........

Steelersfan
06-26-2008, 01:41 AM
Go to about the 2 minute or so mark of this video and you will see how good the Bus was..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfzwe5oIkGo&feature=related

K Train
06-26-2008, 01:45 AM
urlacher got schooled there but he wasnt anywhere near his best when that happened, thats his overweight limited to goaline stage of his career

Steelersfan
06-26-2008, 01:49 AM
urlacher got schooled there but he wasnt anywhere near his best when that happened, thats his overweight limited to goaline stage of his career

My point exactly though. He did that at the end of his career. He had a lot of plays that he just ran people over.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-26-2008, 02:28 AM

I'm one of the few that has never complained about Willie Parker...I just think he needs to have another RB take some carries now....It clear he can't have another 300 carry season....Plus the Steelers couldn't pass on Rashard Mendenhall at 23....I'm still fine with Willie Parker starting for this team....But you can't keep a first round pick as talented as Mendenhall on the bench for long....So Willie's time as the starting RB is limited.......But he still will have a huge role on the team even as a backup...You need two RBs anymore....I also don't know or will predict when Mendenhall will be the starter.....

On a final note.....I will never state that Willie Parker is a failure....He went from undrafted to setting a Super Bowl record, breaking single season team TD records, Pro Bowl....Thats not failure and I will always be a Willie Parker fan....

SteelerSal
06-26-2008, 09:21 AM
I'm one of the few that has never complained about Willie Parker...I just think he needs to have another RB take some carries now....It clear he can't have another 300 carry season....Plus the Steelers couldn't pass on Rashard Mendenhall at 23....I'm still fine with Willie Parker starting for this team....But you can't keep a first round pick as talented as Mendenhall on the bench for long....So Willie's time as the starting RB is limited.......But he still will have a huge role on the team even as a backup...You need two RBs anymore....I also don't know or will predict when Mendenhall will be the starter.....

On a final note.....I will never state that Willie Parker is a failure....He went from undrafted to setting a Super Bowl record, breaking single season team TD records, Pro Bowl....Thats not failure and I will always be a Willie Parker fan....

:plus1:

TEEMONT
06-26-2008, 09:30 AM
See I think the Bus was WAAAAAY overrated. He was a 3 yards and a cloud of dust kinda guy for most of his career.

Koop likes to talk shiat about Willie's YPC, but Bettis only avg'd more than 4 yards 3 times with the Steelers.

http://www.nfl.com/players/jeromebettis/profile?id=BET627285

Willie has been a starter 3 years now and has over 4 YPC each year. I do agree with the statement that he needs to have his carries limited. But anyone can see that in 05 when he had 250 carries, he was pretty ****ing good, by any RB's and fans standards.

http://www.nfl.com/players/willieparker/profile?id=PAR468944

I like the Mendenhall pick, even though I thought it was far from necessary. I also buy into the statement that Mendenhall will be the starter in a year or two. But, who knows, he could turn out to be a huge bust.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Bettis was a guy that did it all; he played well when he had a compliment back and also when he didn't have one. He was a freak of nature that could run over you or run by you. A guy that could outrun linebackers and run over lineman. Jerome was really something special and guy that we are fortunate to have had on our team for so long. He'll be a HOF in his first year for sure. Ive always like Parker too and the guy has done so much for us in his young career but he can't do it on his own consistently or he'll burn out so getting a guy like Mendenhall with such a big upside is really going to further FWP's career in the NFL and we'll be the beneficiary of that tandem for years to come.

ejsteeler
06-26-2008, 11:26 AM
You can't forget the intagibles when you talk about greatness either. What The Bus brought to the team in way of attitude and leadership cannot be ignored. I believe we would not have made the SB let alone win if it was not for him.
Willie is in no way a failure. He is a ragin success story. UDFA doing what he has done, can't even consider it. Mendenhall is possibly the future in the backfield for us, but there is no way I am signing on to that until I see the bot play with the big dogs. Even with a great first season, it will be a one-two punch from our backfield and Willie eill happily play his part in it.
We are in a great position with RB's and we need to take advantage of it and I believe Mt will do that.

BlackGold4vr
06-26-2008, 11:45 AM

Willie Parker has always reminded me of another local talent from Hopewell.....Tony Dorsett. If you are old enough to remember Tony he had a very similar build to Willie and was fast as hell. The guy is in the HOF. Even the best running backs need a little help. Barry Sanders had lots of runs for zero or negative yards because he ran behind an inferior O-line. But just like Willie he occasionally broke runs to the outside and outran people. How many rings did Barry retire with? As good as Barry was he didn't even play on a team that had very many winning seasons. I am not saying that Willie is as good as Barry was but these guys do need some help. LT has one of the best O-lines in the league to run behind and he has shown some mortality as well. Last year 6 games into the season and LT wasn't even in the top 30 RB's yet.

Mendenhall will help Willie's longevity in the league. I think using two backs is going to be good for both of them and give the Steelers fresh legs all the way through a game. With the speed we now have outside in the passing game, defenses are going to have plenty of troubles matching up with us. If their safeties play up in the box to stop the run we have the speed outside to make them pay! I think our offense will be our biggest improvement on defense. With the weapons we now have its going to be hard as hell to get our offense off the field which should translate into a fresh defense through most of the season. I am excited about this season and I believe the Steelers will shock some of the so-called experts this year who think Cleveland has the stones to dethrone us. :yesnod:

steelcityrockers
06-26-2008, 11:48 AM
mendenhall is god awful in pass protection, thats really the only aspect that jonathan stewart schooled him in in the competition for being the best back in the draft, otherwise it was dead even between those two

He really is not as bad as you say he is.

TEEMONT
06-26-2008, 11:55 AM

well......you've convinced me.

ejsteeler
06-26-2008, 12:33 PM

:lol:

Didn't realize your were that easy T.....

steelcityrockers
06-26-2008, 12:46 PM

I am glad to have helped you.

SteelerSal
06-26-2008, 01:52 PM
Mendenhall will help Willie's longevity in the league. I think using two backs is going to be good for both of them and give the Steelers fresh legs all the way through a game. With the speed we now have outside in the passing game, defenses are going to have plenty of troubles matching up with us. If their safeties play up in the box to stop the run we have the speed outside to make them pay! I think our offense will be our biggest improvement on defense. With the weapons we now have its going to be hard as hell to get our offense off the field which should translate into a fresh defense through most of the season. I am excited about this season and I believe the Steelers will shock some of the so-called experts this year who think Cleveland has the stones to dethrone us. :yesnod:

Man if this paragragh don't pump you up for this season.... nothing will.:cope:

As for a shared backfield, I'm all for it. I don't care if neither back leads the league in rushing as long as they are both productive every time they tote the ball.

SteelerSteve
06-26-2008, 06:20 PM
I say that we trade Big Ben, and our first round pick next year to the jags for.......MATT JONES! I mean think about it, do we really need a good QB when Jones could turn a highschool QB into a pro bowler?

K Train
06-26-2008, 08:23 PM

hes terrible.

AD is terrible at blocking too and that turned out ok

steelcityrockers
06-26-2008, 09:47 PM
I agree whole-heartedly with Steve.

And Mendenhall is a better pass-blocker than Willie. He needs to learn blitz-picup, ut what rookie doesn't?

Mike Tomlin
06-26-2008, 11:28 PM

What people keep forgetting is the fact that we had our big defensive draft last year with Timmons, Woodley, and Gay. I really think Timmons has the potential to be as good as or better than Patrick Willis. He's the same time of guy but could have played TE in college which gives him a good feel for the ball when it's in the air( Ravens game that Ed Reed fumble), he's a playmaker with a year of our system under his belt. You add that with Woodley who already showed us what he can do when given a chance, and Harrison coming off the other edge we got killers up front. Plus you add in Fox and the Clean version of J- Peezy for depth and Foote in the middle , it should be non stop chaos up front. We got Clark back, Gay has a year under is belt and this kid is a playmaker. We got younger and hungrier on both sides of the ball.I think we ready :tt02:

BlitzburghNation
06-27-2008, 12:14 AM
What people keep forgetting is the fact that we had our big defensive draft last year with Timmons, Woodley, and Gay. I really think Timmons has the potential to be as good as or better than Patrick Willis. :tt02:

This is what i'm really :ktrain: up for ~~~~My heart has always been on the "D" side of the ball and I really want to see what Timmons will do this season !

Always felt strong about Woodley and he's going to have a monster year,,,,,,, :tt02::tt02::tt02:

Our tough schedue will make us or break us this season,,,,,,,,,:helmet:

I'm feeling at least 10-6 or maybe 11-5 "will be determined in november"
the meat of our schedule ~~~~ :crossfingers:

We can shock the league again,like we did our superbowl year---:tt02: