PDA

View Full Version : Sweed is learning all things about Pittsburgh.

Stlrs4Life
06-24-2008, 12:29 AM
LONGHORN FOOTBALL
http://www.statesman.com/sports/cont...0623sweed.html (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/06/23/0623sweed.html)

Sweed is learning about all things Pittsburgh
Newest Steeler receiver is soaking in all facts about his newest team and city of residence

By Suzanne Halliburton
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Monday, June 23, 2008

Former Texas receiver Limas Sweed is in learning mode, as he counts the days to his very first pro training camp.

His learning isn't concentrated solely on the playbook the Pittsburgh Steelers provided for him once Sweed flew to his new home in late April.

He wants to know everything about Pittsburgh a town he had not seen until the Steelers selected him in the second round of the draft, his teammates and the majestic history of the Steelers.

So far, Sweed, who has been nicknamed "Real Country" by his new teammates, has been acing his lessons during his crash course on everything black and yellow.

The first time he called his parents, Sweed said, "This is real. You have to come with it every day. But I like it."

The learning started on his first plane to trip to Pittsburgh. A man sitting next to him was a Steelers fan and happily provided Sweed some need-to-know facts.

When Sweed was participating in a rookie media orientation earlier this month, he was able to answer "Monongahela, Allegheny and Ohio," when asked the names of the three rivers that flow through the city.

He also was taught to carry a tape recorder for when he's interviewed to eliminate inaccurate quotes.

Other than a diamond stud earring, Sweed won't wear expensive, attention-catching jewelry, knowing that as a pro, he could be an attractive target for robbery.

When Sweed and the Steelers rookies took a two-hour bus ride for a mandatory tour of the NFL Hall of Fame, the young receiver won the trivia contest.

He earned a coffee mug, which he now keeps in his locker, because he knew that the first time the Steelers played for the title was in Super Bowl IX.

Sweed, who will wear No. 14 in the pros, probably will be in the Steelers lineup this season. Pittsburgh hasn't had a big receiver Sweed is 6-4, 219 pounds since Plaxico Buress left them in 2004.

But Sweed also is helping with special teams. He's being used as a speed guy off the edge to put more pressure on opposing punters. He didn't play special teams with the Longhorns.

"He is not afraid to ask questions," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin told reporters earlier this month. "His passion for the game shows through the minute he walks into the building, which allows you to indicate that he has a chance to be what we think he is capable of being."

Sweed has come back to Austin several times since he was drafted. He visited the UT football office earlier this month, and collected tips from Longhorn staffers.

Sweed took notes when UT associate athletic director Cleve Bryant told him what kind of gloves to buy for cold games and how to mix Vaseline and powder to keep his feet dry and warm.

Bryant used to coach receivers with the New England Patriots so he knows snow, wind and sleet.

Sweed's next trip to Austin will be for a camp he's coordinating with former teammates Michael and Marcus Griffin on July 19 at Pflugerville High School. He also wants to do a similar camp in his hometown of Brenham.

"You've got to give back to where you come from," he said.

shalliburton@statesman.com; 445-3954

Ya gotta love this guys attitude.

K Train
06-24-2008, 12:50 AM
i love him, i love his attitude, his outlook, his ideas and most of all his style of play. The dude is big, fast and has awesome hands...but most of all hes very powerful and a physical presence on the field...and that pre-hines ward crash course in ****ing up DBs and LBs

Black@Gold Forever32
06-24-2008, 01:26 AM
i love him, i love his attitude, his outlook, his ideas and most of all his style of play. The dude is big, fast and has awesome hands...but most of all hes very powerful and a physical presence on the field...and that pre-hines ward crash course in ****ing up DBs and LBs

The more I read on Sweed the more I like the kid...Yes I was a James Hardy guy...But Sweed is a better fit for the Steelers...I can't wait to see him play and learn the NFL game....

Prosdo
06-24-2008, 09:22 AM
I really like what I am hearing about this guy. He seems to be so eager and ready to get out there. I can't wait to see what he brings to camp.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-24-2008, 12:08 PM
I really like how he's embracing the city and the culture of western PA along with his football duties. I really love the upside of this kid and when he was dropping to us in the draft I got really excited knowing we were going to have 4 legit WR's to go along with 2 legit RB's and 2 legit TE's. This is really shaping up to be possibly the best Steeler offense in team history if things work out.

ejsteeler
06-24-2008, 01:21 PM
All this proves what I said way back, Sweed will make more of an impact than Mendenhall. :stirpot:

K Train
06-24-2008, 03:53 PM
its alot easier for runners, especially being only one of two. Sweed is gonna be one of 4 and plays the hardest position to adjust to and learn. Mendy is gonna have the bigger impact theres almost no question

ejsteeler
06-24-2008, 03:57 PM
We shall see my over confident friend, we shall see.........:lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
06-25-2008, 05:00 PM
I think all things considered that both of them will make an impact this year but I do agree with ktrain that it's easier for a RB to come in fresh out of college and be productive than it is for a WR. Sweed will make plays for us and he'll push Nate for that 3rd spot before the year is over IMO but I think Medenhall will get more touches and have more opportunities to make plays.

BlackGold4vr
06-25-2008, 05:51 PM
With Holmes and Sweed the Steelers haven't had this kind of big play capability since Swann/Stallworth. I believe either one of them can stretch the field and make big plays every time they touch the ball. Don't bury Hines just yet either, he is one of the best possession receivers in the game. When the Steelers have needed those 4 or 5 yard catches, nobody has been better at getting open, catching the tough passes, and picking up those crucial 1st downs than Hines Ward. Hopefully as his skills start to diminish Hines will adjust his salary demands to stay a Steeler. :crossfingers:

JensK
06-25-2008, 06:39 PM
With Holmes and Sweed the Steelers haven't had this kind of big play capability since Swann/Stallworth. I believe either one of them can stretch the field and make big plays every time they touch the ball. Don't bury Hines just yet either, he is one of the best possession receivers in the game. When the Steelers have needed those 4 or 5 yard catches, nobody has been better at getting open, catching the tough passes, and picking up those crucial 1st downs than Hines Ward. Hopefully as his skills start to diminish Hines will adjust his salary demands to stay a Steeler. :crossfingers:

Great post right there! :plus1:

I don't believe that sweed is going to play all that much tho. It just wouldnt be Steeler style to use a rookie to much, if we have decent players at the position, which we do.

K Train
06-25-2008, 06:45 PM
tomlin has said he regrets not putting woodley in more...i dont think hes gonna make that mistake again

JensK
06-25-2008, 06:51 PM
tomlin has said he regrets not putting woodley in more...i dont think hes gonna make that mistake again

Well hopefully not, but you never know. I guees it all comes down to how he performs in trainingcamp

Stlrs4Life
06-25-2008, 09:41 PM
I also think the RB has a better chance of proving himself. Sweed will not get the opportunity that Menenhall will get.

ejsteeler
06-26-2008, 11:28 AM

:plus1: