PDA

View Full Version : Hey Pens fans..what do think of this?

stlrbum
06-19-2008, 11:20 PM
Report: Penguins offer Malkin to Kings for blockbuster package

By Greg Wyshynski

Perhaps the most stunning thing about what is the biggest hockey news of the morning is that it's not about teams seeking to acquire Evgeni Malkin from the Pittsburgh Penguins. It's about GM Ray Shero actively shopping the player some consider to be potentially the best in hockey.

From Bruce Garrioch of Sun Media:

The Penguins are trying to make a blockbuster move before tomorrow night's NHL draft at Scotiabank Place. League sources say Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero offered all-star centre Evgeni Malkin to the Kings for the No. 2 overall pick in the draft and a player, possibly centre Mike Cammalleri.

While many NHL executives refused to believe the Penguins would trade the 21-year-old Malkin because he has one year left on his entry-level contract at a bargain $984,000 (all terms US), the indications are that Shero wants to sign winger Marian Hossa before he becomes an unrestricted free agent -- a deal that could cost Pittsburgh upward of $8 million a year. If the Penguins retained Hossa, signing Malkin next year could be dicey because of salary cap considerations. Kings GM Dean Lombardi told Sun Media yesterday that he's had two solid offers for the No. 2 pick, but after meeting with his ownership group decided to stay the course by building with young players.

Boy, Sidney Crosby certainly wants to keep his Kurri, not matter what it costs.

There is a bit of contradiction here, as Garrioch quotes Lombardi as saying, "To trade away that draft pick, we're going to have to get a lot of value." Malkin for Cammalleri and what could be blue-chip defenseman Drew Doughty or Russian dynamo Nikita Filatov would be at best a steal for the Kings and, at worst, close to equal value once the rookies ripen. If that's not "a lot of value" ... is Lombardi waiting for the Penguins to throw in Marc-Andre Fleury or something? This trade could be the most franchise-defining moment for the Kings since Peter Pocklington made a nation cry. Maybe Lombardi is just worried he's going to end up with Lindros instead of Forsberg.

As for the Penguins, our simple, flawed human minds can't process the absurd notion that the team could somehow be choosing Hossa over Malkin. So let's forget about that angle.

Perhaps Shero is infatuated with flipping his Russian star for the next Scott Niedermayer or the next Pavel Bure, and saving major coin in the process. Maybe he knows something we don't about Malkin.

But on the surface -- and with the very important Garrioch grain of salt -- hearing Evgeni Malkin being shopped weeks after declaring he'd give the Penguins a Crosby discount is absolutely stunning if true.

To think this franchise is at a do-or-die crossroads before Sidney can even legally buy a beer is just baffling and, as a hockey fan, absolutely captivating.

~~~~~~
First off I happen to be a Kings so you know I would love for this to happen. With that being said I do not think the Pens are going to trade Malkin. I can't even believe they shopped him. I digress....My question to you Pens fans. What would you do if this happened?

Prosdo
06-20-2008, 04:43 AM
I really don't think this is going to happen, but if it does I am gonna be pissed!

memphissteelergirl
06-20-2008, 10:50 AM
I really don't think this is going to happen, but if it does I am gonna be pissed!

What she said

SteelerDan43
06-20-2008, 07:34 PM
I havent seen this reported anywhere else so I am highly highly skeptical, the only Malkin news I've seen is reports some Russian team is going to offer him 12.5 million a year tax free

stlrbum
06-21-2008, 12:41 AM
I havent seen this reported anywhere else so I am highly highly skeptical, the only Malkin news I've seen is reports some Russian team is going to offer him 12.5 million a year tax free
It was all over the place yesterday, so I am not sure how you missed it! I first it heard from a Pens fan at work, then read the article at yahoo.com and si.com. Not that anyone actually believed it was going to happen, but just the fact that his name came up in trade rumors is amazing.

SteelerDan43
06-21-2008, 10:34 AM
So much for that bologna...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08173/891683-61.stm

You have to look at the source of your info, i went back and found this story... followed it back to the original story written by BRUCE GARRIOCH from Sun Media in Canada...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Report-Penguins-offer-Malkin-to-Kings-for-block?urn=nhl,88994

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Draft/2008/06/19/5923271-sun.html

Sun Media is a tabloid paper company...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Media

So the whole thing was more than likely bull anyway, Im sure sure Shero and the Kings did their due diligence in trade talks and the Kings would be stupid to not ask about Malkin.

stlrbum
06-21-2008, 05:04 PM
So the whole thing was more than likely bull anyway, Im sure sure Shero and the Kings did their due diligence in trade talks and the Kings would be stupid to not ask about Malkin.
As are all trade rumors that don't actually happen. I don't think there is one person who actually thought it was going to happen.

susielr
06-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Malkin isn't going anywhere this year but maybe in the future though.

SteelersfaninPhilly
06-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Malkin isn't going anywhere. Since they have shown Hossa the door now. Look for Malkin to sign an extension in the next couple weeks.

Prosdo
06-22-2008, 02:20 PM
I wish they could look up Hossa, Malkin, and Fleury. Hossa has been a real spark in the offense and he is such a good two way player.

stlrbum
06-22-2008, 03:35 PM
From what I have read the Hossa chose to test the FA market as he thinks the Pens offer wasn't enough. I think he is in for a rude awakening. The reported offer of 7yr 50 mil is better than I think he will get in FA.

susielr
06-22-2008, 03:42 PM
From what I have read the Hossa chose to test the FA market as he thinks the Pens offer wasn't enough. I think he is in for a rude awakening. The reported offer of 7yr 50 mil is better than I think he will get in FA.

I agree....I see Hossa signing here. He is just seeing what is out there....I don't blame him.

SteelerDan43
06-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Hossa and the Pens have ceased talks and Malkin is very close to signing an affordable multi year deal akin to what Crosby got.

Stlrs4Life
06-22-2008, 07:48 PM

Montreal, Boston or the NYR will offer him a ton of cash. And if the above trade ghappened, I would have also been pissed.

Prosdo
06-23-2008, 05:33 AM
So many guys they need to get wrapped up. Some of the other guys not being talked about as much Dupuis, Ruutu, Conklin, Roberts, Hall, and Orpik. They're also trying to extend Staal's contract. I think they should let Georges Laraque go this season. I just don't think he is bringing as much as he needs to to the table.