PDA

View Full Version : How much should we expect from Mendenhall in 2008?

BlitzburghRockCity
06-17-2008, 01:04 AM
Reading this article in the Trib (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_573070.html) got me thinking about how much of an impact our 1st round draft pick is going to have this year. Willie should be 100 percent by camp so his health won't be an issue but I really look for Mendenhall to nail down the backup spot right out of the gate or atleast get significant playing time early and often. As long as that hamstring is healed up and ready to go, which so far we haven't heard anything else about it, I really hope this kid takes his job and runs with it so to speak ;)

He and FWP should make one helluva a combo for us. :crossfingers:

Black@Gold Forever32
06-17-2008, 01:12 AM
This is a good and interesting question......Rookie RBs usually have impacts their rookie years....Plus we do have Parker and he will be fine...So Rashard doesn't have to shoulder the load....But I won't be shocked if Mendenhall has a rookie year like Jones-Drew did his rookie year......

Jones-Drew had 166 carries and 941 rushing yards with 13 rushing TDs his rookie year.....I could see Rashard having 160 carries this year no doubt......I don't know if he tops 900 yards rushing and 13 TDs....But 750 to 900 sounds right....Plus 7-9 TDs.....I doubt Mendenhall catches over 40 balls this year like Jone-Drew did his rookier....Mendenhall can be a weapon in the passing game but Moore will get his share of catches out of the backfield this year...Since he probably will be the 3rd down back...Now later on in the year....There is chance Mendenhall could see some action on 3rd downs also....

Steel58
06-17-2008, 10:07 AM
This kid will produce this season

ARKIESTEEL
06-17-2008, 10:21 AM
did we cut Dookie??

JensK
06-17-2008, 10:56 AM
did we cut Dookie??

Not yet, no.

Im hoping for a 40/60 between FWP and Mendenhall this year. With FWP at 60%. Hes still the man whos got the rutine, which we will need with this tough schedule.

TampaSteelGirl
06-17-2008, 12:14 PM
I believe he's going to have a great rookie year and I think we should see a great year for Willie as well. I think our running game is going to be quite explosive!! I"m so excited!! :tt02:

TEEMONT
06-17-2008, 12:19 PM
I think he will get about 800 yards....somewhere arounf 5.0 YPC and about 8 TD's.

But Willie is better b/c he has a ring.....right?

JensK
06-17-2008, 12:20 PM
I think he will get about 800 yards....somewhere arounf 5.0 YPC and about 8 TD's.

But Willie is better b/c he has a ring.....right?

No, but he have that little thing called experiance. It still counts for alot.

TEEMONT
06-17-2008, 12:21 PM
No, but he have that little thing called experiance. It still counts for alot.

I know...i was being sarcastic as all hell....I still think FWP will be the man for at least 2 more seasons.

JensK
06-17-2008, 12:25 PM
I know...i was being sarcastic as all hell....I still think FWP will be the man for at least 2 more seasons.

Your fancy sarcasm shall not bite on me! :lol: I blame lack of sleep and beer.

Im really looking forward to see both mendenhall and fwp on the field at the same time. Poor defence. I know i wouldnt know just how to cover that. Plus, both of them can make some decent blocks them self, so it owuld buy ben more time aswell.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-17-2008, 01:35 PM
This is a good and interesting question......Rookie RBs usually have impacts their rookie years....Plus we do have Parker and he will be fine...So Rashard doesn't have to shoulder the load....But I won't be shocked if Mendenhall has a rookie year like Jones-Drew did his rookie year......

Jones-Drew had 166 carries and 941 rushing yards with 13 rushing TDs his rookie year.....I could see Rashard having 160 carries this year no doubt......I don't know if he tops 900 yards rushing and 13 TDs....But 750 to 900 sounds right....Plus 7-9 TDs.....I doubt Mendenhall catches over 40 balls this year like Jone-Drew did his rookier....Mendenhall can be a weapon in the passing game but Moore will get his share of catches out of the backfield this year...Since he probably will be the 3rd down back...Now later on in the year....There is chance Mendenhall could see some action on 3rd downs also....

It's funny you mention Jones Drew, I was thinking about him and how Mendenhall's numbers might stack up. Maurice in the same situation that Rashard is in now; being on a team with an established RB already in place. Both Willie and Rashard are going to benefit from having each other to share the load which is going to help our offense greatly and hopefully keep them both fresh late in the year.

K Train
06-17-2008, 03:38 PM
i dunno, i guess its a simliar situation. i would say more like rhodes/addai in addais rookie year, more of a pass happy offense but a very effective running game. Mendy is a nasty pass reciever so i expect him to get pretty involved in that way. i dont think it will be long until people realize mendy is a far superior runner than parker, but thats good for parker too because hes gonna get his touches and not be worn down. a tired willie is a worthless willie, hes not one to get stonger as the game goes on but being fresh in the 4th is only gonna help us out. mendy might be the best and the worse thing to happen to willie career at the same time

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Willie, in his brief career as a full-time starter, has proven once again that you sign some no name RB from California State A&M Tech (I know he was from NC State or NC, whatever) and throw him behind a decent line an they will probably not suck.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-17-2008, 07:26 PM
i dunno, i guess its a simliar situation. i would say more like rhodes/addai in addais rookie year, more of a pass happy offense but a very effective running game. Mendy is a nasty pass reciever so i expect him to get pretty involved in that way. i dont think it will be long until people realize mendy is a far superior runner than parker, but thats good for parker too because hes gonna get his touches and not be worn down. a tired willie is a worthless willie, hes not one to get stonger as the game goes on but being fresh in the 4th is only gonna help us out. mendy might be the best and the worse thing to happen to willie career at the same time

The Indy comparison could be used also.....I just brought up Jones-Drew since I think Mendenhall has a nice blend of speed and power....He won't be as powerful as Jones-Drew....But I think Mendenhall has more power then Addai.....I know Mendenhall is a nasty pass receiver......But I don't know how many catches he will get....I think Moore will be the 3rd down back and that will take catches away from Mendenhall...Over the course of the year he will rack up some catches...I just don't think Mendenhall will have over 40 grabs like Jones-Drew did his rookie year....

Its going to interesting to see how the carries will be divided this season.....The good thing though is one of these guys doesn't have to shoulder the load since they have the other one to support them.....Both players will benefit from that this season....But its sooner rather then later until Rashard Mendenhall is the starting RB for this team...You don't keep first round pick as talented as this guy second string for long....

BlitzburghRockCity
06-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Priest Holmes and Johnson from KC when they were both healthy is also a possible comparison. I think this year and in the immediate future our running game has the potential to be the threat it once was. The last 2 years our running game hasn't scared too many people because it's been inconsistent. This year with Parker, Mendenhall, Davenport, Moore in the backfield or really whoever they end up keeping we've suddenly jumped from 1 legit threat in the backfield to 2 and maybe 3.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-22-2008, 02:23 PM
I still don't see Davenport making the team.....Why keep him?......I think Russell makes the team over Davenport....Russell played on the kick coverage units last year...

I don't see the team keeping 6 backs......So the five backs will be Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, Russell, and Davis...I also wouldn't be shocked if the team just kept 4 RBs.......It depends if they keep an extra LB or OL or something like that....

BlitzburghRockCity
06-22-2008, 02:41 PM
I still don't see Davenport making the team.....Why keep him?......I think Russell makes the team over Davenport....Russell played on the kick coverage units last year...

I don't see the team keeping 6 backs......So the five backs will be Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, Russell, and Davis...I also wouldn't be shocked if the team just kept 4 RBs.......It depends if they keep an extra LB or OL or something like that....

I think they'll probably go with 5; Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, Davis, & Davenport. the reason I think Davenport stays is because he can return kicks and play on the coverage team plus he's a veteran player who can also fill in with the 3rd down back role. IMO that makes him more attractive to the team than Russel. I iagree 6 back is out of the question too :yesnod:

steelcityrockers
06-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Davenport is relatively worthless returning kicks, though. He does not have enough speed (I know he ran a 4.35 at the U) or moves, or anything really other than he does not fumble. Russel could return kicks with the same effectiveness as Dookie. Moore, Davis (maybe Russel if he can learn Blitz Pick-Up) can play 3rd-Down.

K Train
06-22-2008, 03:59 PM
the thing with him returning kicks is hes not afraid to do it, he secures the ball and can follow blocks very well, hes obviouslt not the most convential returner but at least he CAN do it.

i know alot of you dont like davenport but hes been very good for us. Hes got awesome hands and vision with nice speed...if only he ran like a 250 pound man or if he could block like one he would go from being solid to being an important piece to the team. davis is a bruiser but hes not gonna be handed the job over davenport who isnt exactly costing us a fortune

steelcityrockers
06-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Davenport will never be more than a solid change of pace guy, and hit his ceiling years ago. Moore is simply better than Davenport at everything. So he takes the #3 back. At#4, Russel is still an unknown and, despite my hatred of this term, has LOADS moe potential than Dookie. Russel is not fast by any stretch of the imagination, but he can run with power, unlike Davenport who runs like a 250 pound scat-back.

K Train
06-22-2008, 06:45 PM
yeah russell is a bruiser, i just think hes really gonna have to show something to get a spot on this team. And speaking of hitting their ceiling.....cough willie cough. What you see is what you get from willie, he is what he is at this point and in all honesty we are one willie parker injury away from having mendenhall be our starting RB for a long time

steelcityrockers
06-22-2008, 07:10 PM
I would be perfectly OK with that.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Me liking or disliking Davenport has nothing to do with the conversation....But with Moore signing and the drafting of Mendenhall.......I see no reason to keep him.....He provided depth the last few years....With Moore and Mendenhall the depth is fine....Plus Russell is in the mix...Now if Davenport is competing with Davis at FB then maybe I see him making the team if he beats out Davis....But I don't think he will....Dookie is expendable and will be flushed.....

K Train
06-22-2008, 07:16 PM
id really like to see something from MeMo first lol, rossum was really good once to and we were excited about him lol

Black@Gold Forever32
06-22-2008, 07:23 PM
id really like to see something from MeMo first lol, rossum was really good once to and we were excited about him lol

Rossum also was older then Moore.....It wasn't a total shock that Rossum was in the decline....Only reason I liked the move since the Steelers only gave up a 7th round pick...It was worth the risk when only giving up a 7th round pick....Tomlin also saw a need and I can't fault him for tying to improve that need...Better then not making a move at all....

Moore is solid at catching the ball and at blitz pickup...He has the inside track at the 3rd down back....He isn't a great punt returner but he is solid.....He will make the team......

K Train
06-22-2008, 07:27 PM
i just wanna see what he can do first

Black@Gold Forever32
06-22-2008, 07:35 PM
i just wanna see what he can do first

I hear you Train.......But I have seen Moore some through out the years...NFL Sunday Ticket allows me to see a ton of football...Of course I never miss the Steelers but when the Steelers game is over I watch other teams games.....I didn't make a point to see a ton of Vikings games but I did catch some...I always liked what I have seen from Moore in the limited times I have seen him...He isn't a star or anything...But a solid role player which you need on your team...I also know Davenport is solid but with Moore/Mendenhall...I see no room or reason to keep him anymore...

steelcityrockers
06-22-2008, 09:33 PM
While Moore is not a Superstar return guy, he can definitely take it the distance. Moore at one point actually looked to be a really decent back before injuries and draftees and FA siginings de-railed his career. He was one hell of a running back at Tulane.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-22-2008, 09:42 PM
While Moore is not a Superstar return guy, he can definitely take it the distance. Moore at one point actually looked to be a really decent back before injuries and draftees and FA siginings de-railed his career. He was one hell of a running back at Tulane.

I totally agree......Thats why I said he was solid...I just wouldn't put him in the class of Hester or Joshua Cribbs....Those guys are star return men...But no doubt Moore is a good punt returner....One thing to add....Moore won't return any kick-offs....He only has returned 6 since 2005.....He did return 20 in his rookie year of 2004....But the last few years he was just a punt returner......So I'm not looking for Moore to return any kick-offs...He will be the punt returner and 3rd down back...But when Mendenhall gets the experience then I'm sure he will get his chances on 3rd down as well...But I do like Moore and he is good for depth....

You're right he was a terrific RB at Tulane...Matt Forte is following in his foot steps....

K Train
06-22-2008, 10:48 PM
lol at the KC comparison, priest was undrafted/willie was undrafted....LJ was drafting in the low 20s, Mendy was drafted in the low 20s.

Prosdo
06-23-2008, 03:58 AM
I am still shocked that Rashard fell to us like he did. I think he will definitely make an impact. The guy just seems like the perfect compliment to Willie. I look for Rashard to get about 40% of the carries. I think Dookie's days are up. If Moore shows up at camp and can be a reliable kick returner then in all honesty Dookie can very well be expendable. I also really love the KC comparison.

steelcityrockers
06-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Only thing is, Johnson was in the Vermeil Doghouse and did not carry as much as he should have.

K Train
06-23-2008, 12:56 PM
yeah they had a HOF caliber oline back then too

Mark B.
06-28-2008, 08:30 PM
I hope so, if he can pass block as well as they say than the no huddle scheme should knock defenses cold. God I hope so with this brutal schedule.

SteelersWoman
06-30-2008, 02:27 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_573070.htmlBy

John Harris (jharris@tribweb.com)
TRIBUNE-REVIEW

The great Eric Dickerson rushed for a NFL rookie record 1,808 yards and 18 touchdowns in 1983.

The Vikings' Adrian Peterson, a modern version of Dickerson, set the single-game rushing record with 296 yards last season while becoming the first rookie in league history to tally two 200-yard rushing games.

Three running backs were selected in the first round of this year's draft. Steelers rookie Rashard Mendenhall, the No. 23 overall pick, said he understands the lofty demands expected from his position. "It's all reaction,'' Mendenhall said. "There's a hole, you run through it.''

First-round running backs and big plays go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Since 2003, 13 running backs have gone in the first round. Five produced 1,000-yard seasons, six had 200-plus carries and seven rushed for at least five touchdowns.

In 2007, the two running backs selected in the first round enjoyed monster seasons.

Peterson carried the ball 238 times for 1,341 yards and 12 touchdowns. Marshawn Lynch carried 280 times for 1,115 yards and seven touchdowns.
Other than Cleveland tackle Joe Thomas, no other offensive player taken in the first round had a bigger impact than Peterson and Lynch.

Two-time Pro Bowler Willie Parker returns from a broken leg as the No. 1 running back, but it goes without saying the Steelers didn't change their draft plans when Mendenhall unexpectedly fell into their laps so he could be Parker's caddie.

If Mendenhall doesn't play right away, it'll be because he's injured.
Compared with other positions, the learning curve for a rookie running back is more like a straight line, making it easier to contribute early.
"It's easier than a quarterback trying to pick up protections and plays and read defenses,'' Mendenhall said. "It's a different kind of thing.''
Asked about the night-and-day difference between pro and college football, Mendenhall smiled and shrugged.

"It takes you back to high school going to college,'' said Mendenhall, who started one season at Illinois. "It's just what you think it is. Everybody's big, everybody's fast, everybody's talented.''

Based on early returns from voluntary workouts that concluded Thursday, Mendenhall, in the venacular, is who we thought he was.
His impressive blend of power and speed can take your breath away.
Not only do the Steelers covet Mendenhall's ability to run between the tackles and catch the ball out of the backfield, they also worked him out returning kickoffs because of how quickly he reaches top speed.
Mendenhall is a playmaker. Even when he's not in the backfield, the Steelers want to give him an opportunity to make plays.

"I've got a lot of confidence,'' Mendenhall said, "but you've got to learn this playbook and this game. "Each day's practice you get more confidence. The more you do it, the better you are.''
Expect to see plenty of Mendenhall in 2008.

Can't wait to see this kid in action!