PDA

View Full Version : Steelers hold high expectations for Sweed

Captcoolhand
06-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Typical of a job given to a teenager at a factory for one of the top-selling brands of ice cream in the country, Limas Sweed did not have much responsibility. Just watch and make sure everything goes, well, smoothly.
One day the monotony of his job at Blue Bell Creameries in Brenham, Texas, caused Sweed to lurch forward. He flipped over a railing and fell into a large vat of strawberry ice cream. It's not that he worried about drowning but, geez, talk about a sticky situation.
"I was young, and I guess they really didn't want to hurt my feelings," Sweed said of the incident with a laugh. "They just released me the next couple of days."
A couple of days off to recover? "I got fired, man."
Sweed's current employer will exercise considerably more patience with him. The Steelers took the sleek wide receiver in the second round of this year's NFL draft. They are hoping the 6-4, 219-pound Sweed can provide the tall target that the team has lacked among its wide receiving corps since Plaxico Burress left as a free agent following the 2004 season.
Sweed, rest assured, won't encounter any boredom on his full-time job. He has spent the past six weeks learning the Steelers' offense and trying to digest things he never saw during a decorated career at the University of Texas, such as linebackers lining up opposite him before dropping back into coverage.
It is too early to tell how much progress the player that teammates call "Real Country" because of his rural upbringing has made or how much he will contribute this season.
He has impressed the Steelers not just with his physical ability but also with a willingness that borders on eagerness to learn.
"He is very humble. He communicates. He is not afraid to ask questions," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "His passion for the game shows through the minute he walks into the building which allows you to indicate that he has a chance to be what we think he is capable of being."
Translation: the Steelers may have found a keeper.
Sweed has a unique blend of size and speed and is a tremendous leaper. Long and lean as a goal post, he is also deceptively strong -- he could bench press more than 300 pounds when he was in high school (nice!) -- and he almost certainly wouldn't have been available when the Steelers picked in the second round of the draft had a wrist injury not derailed his senior season at Texas.
The one thing that might give Steelers' fans pause about the Texas native: he is a cowboy though not of the Dallas variety.
"If somebody had a horse in here right now, I could definitely jump on there and ride," Sweed said during a recent indoors practice at the Steelers' South Side facility. "I'm a country boy at heart. Fishing, hunting, four-wheeling."
He didn't just learn to do all of that while growing up outside of Brenham, a small town in east Texas. He also learned about discipline.
A couple of hours before a football scrimmage during Sweed's sophomore year of high school, his mother called Brenham coach Glen West and informed him that Sweed would not be playing that day.
The reason: he had gone to a volleyball game without telling his parents.
West tried to explain that Sweed's coaches and teammates were counting on him.
"She said, 'Well, this time he learns coach. We want to teach him now. We want to know where he is at all times and he went to that volleyball game and didn't tell us and so he's not going to play in this game,' " West recalled.
He apparently learned his lesson as coach Mack Brown said he never had any problems with Sweed at Texas. That's not to say the player that ranks among the school's all-time leaders in a handful of receiving categories didn't encounter any adversity while in Austin.
Prior to his senior season, Sweed hurt a ligament in his wrist while making a catch in practice. The nagging injury limited him to six games and 19 catches for 306 yards and three touchdowns.
It may also have caused him to slide into the second round of the draft (he had been projected as a first-round pick). Sweed has not dwelled on what might have been for several reasons, not the least of which is that his wrist has fully healed.
"I'm feeling like I did my junior year in college," said Sweed, who caught 12 touchdown passes as a junior at Texas, "fast and strong, man."
He'll need to be that and more when he and the rest of the Steelers report for training camp in late July.
The learning curve for rookies in the NFL is a steep one. That is particularly true for wide receivers, who must adjust to a faster, more physical game while trying to process copious amounts of information. It can be overwhelming and enough to make even the fastest wideout feel like he is running in, yes, ice cream.
"We've just got to keep him focused," third-year Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes said. "I think his mind wanders a little bit, just being a rookie going through all the motions, having to try to learn the plays at one time. But I think he's going to be all right once he takes a break from it."
How much of a break Sweed takes from football between now and the start of training camp in late July remains to be seen. Nice read...
I can't wait to check him out in Training camp.:yesnod:
I know that I'l be there either the 28th or 29th if not both.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Sweed could have very easily been a 1st round pick this year so getting him in the 2nd was a steal for us IMO. It normally takes WR's atleast 2 years minimum to really get comfortable and be a consistent playmaker in your offense so we can't expect him to be a pro bowler right away. I do expect him though to contribute this year and be a presence on the field as he learns the ins & outs of being a professional WR in a top ranked offense.

HUNT4SEVEN
06-15-2008, 12:51 PM
man this guy is gonna b an steal 4 us:clap::clap: i am still shocked that him an mendenhall fell 2 us :cabbagepatch:man i'm calling it right now we wil score 30 plus points an game this year:markit:go STEELERS i can't wait untill training camp:banana:

steelersgal86
06-15-2008, 01:18 PM
nice read...wow cant wait to see him...I know we will be going down for training camp also...just waiting till it gets closer to pick a day so it is not 100 degrees like last year....and hopefully parking in that damn lot again we dont get another flat tire:cursin:

Black@Gold Forever32
06-15-2008, 02:09 PM
I can't wait until Sweed knows the play-book and is adjusted to the NFL.......He is going to be a star.....I do expect him to be 4th on the depth chart....Nate knows the offense and has produced so he will be 3rd until Sweed is ready...Once that happens Sweed will make the entire Steelers offense better...

SteelerDan43
06-15-2008, 08:40 PM
This kid still scares the crap out of me... Im seeing a less talented Plex

BlitzburghRockCity
06-15-2008, 09:21 PM
I can't wait until Sweed knows the play-book and is adjusted to the NFL.......He is going to be a star.....I do expect him to be 4th on the depth chart....Nate knows the offense and has produced so he will be 3rd until Sweed is ready...Once that happens Sweed will make the entire Steelers offense better...

Yeah Nate will hold down the 3rd spot but I think by the end of the season at the latest we'll see Sweed making some real solid contributions to the offense. Nate will be pushing himself this year though because he's on a 1 yr deal and Sweed will be pushing him for that 3rd spot sooner rather than later.

Stlrs4Life
06-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Let's hope he can turn it all out onto the field.

susielr
06-15-2008, 10:29 PM
I am so excited about seeing him play this year. I am going to have to go to camp in July and get a peek at him.

Koopa
06-15-2008, 11:04 PM
Yeah Nate will hold down the 3rd spot but I think by the end of the season at the latest we'll see Sweed making some real solid contributions to the offense. Nate will be pushing himself this year though because he's on a 1 yr deal and Sweed will be pushing him for that 3rd spot sooner rather than later.

lol, nate is a ****ing bum, there's a reason he's on a one year deal only..................sweed could win his spot with two blown out knees

SteelerDan43
06-15-2008, 11:12 PM
lol, nate is a ****ing bum, there's a reason he's on a one year deal only..................sweed could win his spot with two blown out knees

Well so far Nate has proved he can contribute, Sweed hasn't even seen the pro field yet so no one really knows...

Koopa
06-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Well so far Nate has proved he can contribute, Sweed hasn't even seen the pro field yet so no one really knows...

oh I know.....and soon you will too

K Train
06-15-2008, 11:28 PM
lol at 2 blown knees

nates one of the better #3s in the league, until sweed becomes the best #3 in the league. But we signed nate to be our #3, we drafted sweed to take over for holmes as soon as holmes takes over for ward lol

Koopa
06-15-2008, 11:35 PM
lol at 2 blown knees

nates one of the better #3s in the league, until sweed becomes the best #3 in the league. But we signed nate to be our #3, we drafted sweed to take over for holmes as soon as holmes takes over for ward lol

why are so many ppl high on nate??? he hasn't done ****, and never will, he's another one of those players that proves why he went undrafted, he drops easy *** catches, just because he had a decent year towards the end of the year doesn't mean **** cause that's also when the team as whole went to ****, so it's easy to do good on a ****** team............ nate is a bum and always will be one, if he had shown anything he'd have gotten at least a 2 to 3 year contract extension....but since he hasn't shown **** they are gonna let him play one more year and then let him on move on to be a bum on another team

K Train
06-15-2008, 11:47 PM
nah he got a one year tender because he was a RFA, hes been a project but hes gotten better and hes fast a **** with good leaping ability. we was an undrafted rookie from tiffin....****ing tiffin lol, hes not the most polished wr but as a 3 or a 4 come on?

Black@Gold Forever32
06-16-2008, 12:04 AM
why are so many ppl high on nate??? he hasn't done shiat, and never will, he's another one of those players that proves why he went undrafted, he drops easy *** catches, just because he had a decent year towards the end of the year doesn't mean shiat cause that's also when the team as whole went to shiat, so it's easy to do good on a shiatty team............ nate is a bum and always will be one, if he had shown anything he'd have gotten at least a 2 to 3 year contract extension....but since he hasn't shown shiat they are gonna let him play one more year and then let him on move on to be a bum on another team

Who is high on Nate? I don't think anyone ever said Nate was a great NFL wr or will be a great wr......But Nate is a solid number 3 WR who made some tough catches last year......The Jags regular season game...He made a nice TD catch to tie the game up...Against the Rams he also made some nice catches...I agree he drops some easy balls at times....Even some of the best WRs in the NFL have dropped some passes...lol

Nate is what he is and will be nothing more so I agree with you in some ways about Nate...I just don't understand why people bitch about him...Its not like he was a former first round pick and is dropping passes...lol Nate has exceeded my expectations and he isn't a bum like you suggest....But trust me I'm glad the Steelers added a talent like Sweed to the WR core...

Sweed will be the 3rd WR in time and a future starter on this team...But its unrealistic to expect Sweed to contribute right away....Most rookie NFL WRs struggle in their rookie year....Plax was the 8th overall pick in the 2000 draft and he only had 22 catches in 9 games his rookie year...Plus he had not TDs.....

I hope Sweed comes in and is an instant bad *** since having a WR like Sweed will make the entire offense better...But I think Sweed will be like other rookie WRs and have a so so rookie year while learning the NFL ropes....

I think Sweed catches 15-20 balls for around 270-300 yards and scores twice.......In 2009 he takes over the 3rd WR spot.....Hopefully I'm wrong though...lol

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

nah he got a one year tender because he was a RFA, hes been a project but hes gotten better and hes fast a **** with good leaping ability. we was an undrafted rookie from tiffin....****ing tiffin lol, hes not the most polished wr but as a 3 or a 4 come on?

:yellowthumb:AGREE................................ .....I have been frustrated at times by Nate but then I say to myself he came from Tiffin......I hope Nate is resigned next year....I don't think he is starting NFL material...But a solid number 3 and provides nice depth....

Koopa
06-16-2008, 12:14 AM
Who is high on Nate? I don't think anyone ever said Nate was a great NFL wr or will be a great wr......But Nate is a solid number 3 WR who made some tough catches last year......The Jags regular season game...He made a nice TD catch to tie the game up...Against the Rams he also made some nice catches...I agree he drops some easy balls at times....Even some of the best WRs in the NFL have dropped some passes...lol

Nate is what he is and will be nothing more so I agree with you in some ways about Nate...I just don't understand why people bitch about him...Its not like he was a former first round pick and is dropping passes...lol Nate has exceeded my expectations and he isn't a bum like you suggest....But trust me I'm glad the Steelers added a talent like Sweed to the WR core...

Sweed will be the 3rd WR in time and a future starter on this team...But its unrealistic to expect Sweed to contribute right away....Most rookie NFL WRs struggle in their rookie year....Plax was the 8th overall pick in the 2000 draft and he only had 22 catches in 9 games his rookie year...Plus he had not TDs.....

I hope Sweed comes in and is an instant bad *** since having a WR like Sweed will make the entire offense better...But I think Sweed will be like other rookie WRs and have a so so rookie year while learning the NFL ropes....

I think Sweed catches 15-20 balls for around 270-300 yards and scores twice.......In 2009 he takes over the 3rd WR spot.....Hopefully I'm wrong though...lol

i never said any of y'all said he'd be great........ and i didn't know saying someone is high on someone automatically meant that they think they'll be great

sure he made some tough catches, but he canceled all those out with his drops of what should have been for sure catches.....

Black@Gold Forever32
06-16-2008, 12:27 AM
i never said any of y'all said he'd be great........ and i didn't know saying someone is high on someone automatically meant that they think they'll be great

sure he made some tough catches, but he canceled all those out with his drops of what should have been for sure catches.....

But you asked why some people are high on Nate...Nobody really is high on him...Just saying he is a solid number 3 and can get the job done until Sweed is ready to take over as the 3rd WR.....Thats all people are trying to say...Sweed actually has to get in there and learn the NFL game before taking Nate's job....NFL experience does count for something....If it didn't then more rookie NFL WRs would have had success their rookie years.....

BlitzburghRockCity
06-16-2008, 12:32 AM
Ive been one of the biggest critics of Nate every since he came to this team. He's about as inconsistent a player as I've ever seen on the Steelers. Every spectacular catch is followed up by an easy drop and total lapse in concentration. I think he may have turned the corner last year though and he did make a lot of big plays for us. The jury is still out on him though but he's definitely improving.

K Train
06-16-2008, 12:36 AM
but you cant expect him to be a polished WR right away, its the hardest position to learn and the hardest transition to make. he came from a school that had him less prepared than a WR from florida who come out of college clinically retarded when it comes to playing the position...hes done very well imo

BlitzburghRockCity
06-16-2008, 12:47 AM
I don't expect him to be polished right away by any means, it takes a long time to be a solid WR in the NFL. The thing that is concerning is that he seems to drop all the easy passes and then follows it up with some circus catch. He's got the talent and he's definitely got the speed, he just needs to catch the easy ones more consistently. :lol:

Koopa
06-16-2008, 01:01 AM
But you asked why some people are high on Nate...Nobody really is high on him...Just saying he is a solid number 3 and can get the job done until Sweed is ready to take over as the 3rd WR.....Thats all people are trying to say...Sweed actually has to get in there and learn the NFL game before taking Nate's job....NFL experience does count for something....If it didn't then more rookie NFL WRs would have had success their rookie years.....

to me saying he's a solid number 3 is being high on him since he's a bum

Black@Gold Forever32
06-16-2008, 01:07 AM
to me saying he's a solid number 3 is being high on him since he's a bum

He isn't a bum......What do expect from him honestly? Dude I don't understand your way of thinking at times...I'm all for being critical and negative...I think thats the right of any fan...But dude he was an undrafted FA from Tiffin....He isn't a former first round that is dropping passes.....Plus he is solid 3rd or 4th NFL wr.....I know Sweeds your boy but he will be the 3rd wr and future starter in time...As for now Nate will be the third since he does have NFL experience....

Koopa
06-16-2008, 01:08 AM
He isn't a bum......What do expect from him honestly? Dude I don't understand your way of thinking at times...I'm all for being critical and negative...I think thats the right of any fan...But dude he was an undrafted FA from Tiffin....He isn't a former first round that is dropping passes.....Plus he is solid 3rd or 4th NFL wr.....I know Sweeds your boy but he will be the 3rd wr and future starter in time...As for now Nate will be the third since he does have NFL experience....

i expect a 3rd wr to be able to catch catchable passes not only make difficult ones

and the way wards body is breaking down, sweed will probably start a few games this year

Black@Gold Forever32
06-16-2008, 01:25 AM
i expect a 3rd wr to be able to catch catchable passes not only make difficult ones

and the way wards body is breaking down, sweed will probably start a few games this year

Ok...But even some of the best WRs in the game have dropped passes...Such a weak argument since nobody is perfect....Dude Sweed will not start a game this year...Nate would start if Ward went down...I guess you're expecting a Randy Moss rookie season from Sweed...Ok maybe not that type of impact but you're totally ignoring the fact that rookie WRs have historically struggled their rookie year....Sweed realistically will be the same way...

I also like Limas Sweed and like his potential...

I hope he does prove me wrong this year but I'm not counting on it...

Koopa
06-16-2008, 01:41 AM
Ok...But even some of the best WRs in the game have dropped passes...Such a weak argument since nobody is perfect....Dude Sweed will not start a game this year...Nate would start if Ward went down...I guess you're expecting a Randy Moss rookie season from Sweed...Ok maybe not that type of impact but you're totally ignoring the fact that rookie WRs have historically struggled their rookie year....Sweed realistically will be the same way...

I also like Limas Sweed and like his potential...

I hope he does prove me wrong this year but I'm not counting on it...

well i try not to put others failures on someone else, so i pretty much say **** past wrs that struggled...... maybe sweed will have a season like holmes rookie year....... why so negative? :lol:..... nate is a bum, and always will be, and sweed will have more of an impact then him this year........... all sweed has to do is run straight turn around and catch the ball, **** learning routes lol

Steel58
06-16-2008, 09:08 AM
nice read.. I can't wait to see him in the season:tt02::cope:

steelcitysfinestXL
06-16-2008, 01:15 PM
I have to somewhat agree with koopa! Nate has had the benefit of having cedrick wilson and willy reid as competition. Now with sweet pushing to him its make or break time for Nate! He has a bonified talent that has skills few other on this team have. Sweed is gonna be a bail out guy so to speak for ben. Hines is the only other guy ben trust to just throw it up to. I think ben alone will push sweet into a 3rd wideout this season.

steelcityrockers
06-16-2008, 01:19 PM
I say that for this year, Washington will have a larger impact on the offense. He will be on a shorter leash though.

Captcoolhand
06-16-2008, 03:52 PM
I have to somewhat agree with koopa! Nate has had the benefit of having cedrick wilson and willy reid as competition. Now with sweet pushing to him its make or break time for Nate! He has a bonified talent that has skills few other on this team have. Sweed is gonna be a bail out guy so to speak for ben. Hines is the only other guy ben trust to just throw it up to. I think ben alone will push sweet into a 3rd wideout this season.
If only they would use Heath Miller more in the passing game we could have yet another Ace in the hole. :yesnod: Heath could be another Witten or better IMO.:2cents:

K Train
06-16-2008, 03:54 PM
If only they would use Heath Miller more in the passing game we could have yet another Ace in the hole. :yesnod: Heath could be another Witten or better IMO.:2cents:

easier said than done when your TEs have to stay in and block, they try to involve him they really do

Captcoolhand
06-16-2008, 04:04 PM
easier said than done when your TEs have to stay in and block, they try to involve him they really do
I agree, you know they would like to use him more but when you have an O-line as bad as we had, you have to use him to help block.

I wonder how many sack Ben could of had without him beig back there. :banging:

memphissteelergirl
06-16-2008, 04:06 PM
One day the monotony of his job at Blue Bell Creameries in Brenham, Texas, caused Sweed to lurch forward. He flipped over a railing and fell into a large vat of strawberry ice cream. It's not that he worried about drowning but, geez, talk about a sticky situation.
"I was young, and I guess they really didn't want to hurt my feelings," Sweed said of the incident with a laugh. "They just released me the next couple of days."
A couple of days off to recover? "I got fired, man."

LMAO!! :bluelol:

And of course now I won't be able to look at a tub of Blue Bell Ice Cream in a store and not laugh!

K Train
06-16-2008, 04:23 PM
could you imagine drowning in that lol

Captcoolhand
06-16-2008, 04:34 PM
could you imagine drowning in that lolAnd to think, you die by a Strawberry.....literally :D

SteelerDan43
06-16-2008, 05:13 PM
With the talk of Nate making the spectacular catches and dropping the easy ones you could switch the names and no one would thing differently... Sweed is the same type of player, he uses his physical skills to make up for his lack of route running and football knowledge. That gives Nate the nod as he has made some key catches and Sweed is nothing more than another unproven rookie

Koopa
06-16-2008, 05:29 PM
With the talk of Nate making the spectacular catches and dropping the easy ones you could switch the names and no one would thing differently... Sweed is the same type of player, he uses his physical skills to make up for his lack of route running and football knowledge. That gives Nate the nod as he has made some key catches and Sweed is nothing more than another unproven rookie

so with your attitude we should never ever ever be excited about a rookie

i guess mendenhall won't even make the team since we have dookie who has shown he can run 2 yards in the nfl, and we have moore who had a 1000 yard season once, and gary russell he ran in preseason last year....... damn it!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
06-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Plax had a hard time making the tough catches and the easy ones. By the time he left he was more consistent in all areas but still not year worth the money he wanted. He is playing well in NY and he seems to definitely have gotten the toughness that we all wished he'd have had while playing in Pittsburgh. He played hurt most of last year so I give him credit for that. I still don't think he was worth all that money he wanted and looking back I don't regret us letting him walk. Sweed is unproven and nothing is guaranteed but Im not ready to put him in the same boat as Plax is yet. I'm excited about his potential and the program that he came from getting him prepared to play well. Nate is not a pro bowler yet either but he's got the potential; this is his time to shine, it's now or never. I wouldn't close the book on Nate either way yet same as I wouldn't do with Sweed. Every rookie WR in the game is inconsistent early on but it's the top notch ones that rise to the top and find their legs to move on to greatness. Does Sweed or Nate have that potential; only time will tell...

SteelerDan43
06-16-2008, 05:32 PM
so with your attitude we should never ever ever be excited about a rookie

i guess mendenhall won't even make the team since we have dookie who has shown he can run 2 yards in the nfl, and we have moore who had a 1000 yard season once, and gary russell he ran in preseason last year....... damn it!!!

Well my point is until Sweed proves himself Nate is the number 3, if Sweed comes out and out performs him than give him the spot but Nate has earned the number 3 spot to this point... Just like Mendenhall is in a fight with Moore for the 2nd runningback/3rd down back... You have to show something first IMO

steelcitysfinestXL
06-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Well my point is until Sweed proves himself Nate is the number 3, if Sweed comes out and out performs him than give him the spot but Nate has earned the number 3 spot to this point... Just like Mendenhall is in a fight with Moore for the 2nd runningback/3rd down back... You have to show something first IMO

What you are saying is dead on... what we are saying is, HE WILL. He will show he is a better wideout than nate. I love how some of the guys (not you S-Dan) on here scream PEDIGREE, but wanna come on this thread and not immediately hav sweed at #3.
Nate has AMAZING speed, but there have been very few plays where he used it to flat out beat coverage. Alot of his TDs last year were actually made by Bens scrambling and defenses breaking down because of it.
Sweed will have an advantage because he has good speed on a frame that should dominate corners physically. Learning the play book and building a chemistry with Ben will be his biggest obstacles this season. After that Nate can take a backseat, or a trip to Arizona!!!

SteelerSteve
06-16-2008, 11:47 PM
What you are saying is dead on... what we are saying is, HE WILL. He will show he is a better wideout than nate. I love how some of the guys (not you S-Dan) on here scream PEDIGREE, but wanna come on this thread and not immediately hav sweed at #3.
Nate has AMAZING speed, but there have been very few plays where he used it to flat out beat coverage. Alot of his TDs last year were actually made by Bens scrambling and defenses breaking down because of it.
Sweed will have an advantage because he has good speed on a frame that should dominate corners physically. Learning the play book and building a chemistry with Ben will be his biggest obstacles this season. After that Nate can take a backseat, or a trip to Arizona!!!:lol: I agree with that. If ward can continue to play well for at least 3-4 more seasons that should give Sweed a little time to continue to develop into a big time reciever for us.

steelcityrockers
06-16-2008, 11:52 PM
I am 98% sure Ward will not be able to play 3-4 more seasons at "his" level. He has reall broken down.

K Train
06-17-2008, 12:03 AM
ward has surgery on his knees more often then he has his big *** teeth cleaned, hes breaking down and really really better be prepared to take a big pay cut after this season or not be a steeler anymore

SteelerSteve
06-17-2008, 12:09 AM
Well, its obviously just a matter of time but I just hope its later rather than sooner.

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 12:10 AM
I could definitely see him gone next year if Sweed develops, they re-sign Nate, and it would be a bonus if Baker steps up, though not necessarily something needed for them to cut him.

K Train
06-17-2008, 12:13 AM
if sweed lights it up its all but over, he might be able to play the xyz spots but in reality hes been demoted to playing in the slot ost of the time. he might be the best slot reciever to ever line up there but they obviously like nate and holmes on the outside. wards ability to get open and make clutch catches keeps his value to the team high, but his production isnt worth near what hes being paid

SteelerSteve
06-17-2008, 12:16 AM
I could definitely see him gone next year if Sweed develops, they re-sign Nate, and it would be a bonus if Baker steps up, though not necessarily something needed for them to cut him.I was actually thinking about that possibility, but didn't say it because I thought I may be crucified for blasphemy lol

K Train
06-17-2008, 12:17 AM
I was actually thinking about that possibility, but didn't say it because I thought I may be crucified for blasphemy lol

haha dont ever worry about that, i sure as hell dont

SteelerSteve
06-17-2008, 12:19 AM
haha dont ever worry about that, i sure as hell dontlol I still love Ward though, but age is not kind to anyone. Especially NFL players

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 12:19 AM
LOL, I know. I am sure to be murdered tonight by some Steelers fan because just tonight I have made fun of Terry Bradshaw, Jack Lambert, and suggested cutting Hines Ward.

K Train
06-17-2008, 12:22 AM
on another site i suggested holmes could very well be the best wr on this team, casey might be to fat, troy might kinda suck, and mendenhall might be a better RB than willie parker....the dude is still in tears

SteelerSteve
06-17-2008, 12:26 AM
on another site i suggested holmes could very well be the best wr on this team, casey might be to fat, troy might kinda suck, and mendenhall might be a better RB than willie parker....the dude is still in tears:lol: I definitley want to see an awesome year from Troy though, I really loved watching him during our superbowl year. I definitley wouldn't be sad seeing Mendenhall take over the starting RB position this season though.

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 12:26 AM
Don't you just love team forums? Hahahaha. I love this ****. It makes my day. That and Steel58. He is the most articulate poster I have ever seen.

SteelerSteve
06-17-2008, 12:28 AM
Don't you just love team forums? Hahahaha. I love this shiat. It makes my day. That and Steel58. He is the most articulate poster I have ever seen.
As long as we win the superbowl. Bring on the rings. Lombardi's are all that matter. Go Rooneys!

K Train
06-17-2008, 12:30 AM
i kinda feel like i love you guys, like weve really bonded in the last 15 minutes lol

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 12:33 AM
I know I was thinking the exact same thing lol. Steve that post is tremendous.

SteelerSteve
06-17-2008, 12:35 AM
yeah, the kind of bond that only an internet messageboard can provide:hilarious: I love you man!!! :bluelol:

[AutoMerged Post Below]

I know I was thinking the exact same thing lol. Steve that post is tremendous. I love you too!:yesnod:

Black@Gold Forever32
06-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Sweed will have an advantage because he has good speed on a frame that should dominate corners physically. Learning the play book and building a chemistry with Ben will be his biggest obstacles this season. After that Nate can take a backseat, or a trip to Arizona!!!

Ok...I'm lost....I don't think people are doubting Sweeds talent and the fact he has more talent then Nate Washington....I just think some fans think the fact that Nate knows the play-book and the fact rookie WRs usually struggle their rookie years are reasons why Sweed won't be three right away.....I hope so since Sweed will make the whole offense better as soon he proves he is NFL ready...

K Train
06-17-2008, 12:42 AM
i dont think it will be long until ben gets sweed on the field. it will be nate 3a and sweed 3b

SteelerSteve
06-17-2008, 12:44 AM
Ok...I'm lost....I don't think people are doubting Sweeds talent and the fact he has more talent then Nate Washington....I just think some fans think the fact that Nate knows the play-book and the fact rookie WRs usually struggle their rookie years are reasons why Sweed won't be three right away.....I hope so since Sweed will make the whole offense better as soon he proves he is NFL ready...
Yeah, its not a matter of IF its a matter of WHEN

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 12:46 AM
As long as we win the superbowl. Bring on the rings. Lombardi's are all that matter. Go Rooneys! And noooooooooooooooooo to Anthony McFarland

Added something else.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-17-2008, 12:47 AM
well i try not to put others failures on someone else, so i pretty much say **** past wrs that struggled...... maybe sweed will have a season like holmes rookie year....... why so negative? :lol:..... nate is a bum, and always will be, and sweed will have more of an impact then him this year........... all sweed has to do is run straight turn around and catch the ball, **** learning routes lol

Koopa ....I'm not being negative...Its a proven fact that rookie wr's usually struggle their rookie years....Hopefully Sweed is an instant bad *** but don't count on it.....

Funny any time there is debate with you all you can muster up is **** this and **** that....:lol:

K Train
06-17-2008, 12:50 AM
Added something else.

to ****ing funny dude lol

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 12:51 AM
If Steel58 decides to never post again, I may not have a reason to live.

K Train
06-17-2008, 12:53 AM
he wont even read these lol

SteelerSteve
06-17-2008, 12:54 AM
If Steel58 decides to never post again, I may not have a reason to live.BRING IN MATT JONESthere I returned the favor LMAO

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 12:55 AM
LMFAO.

K Train
06-17-2008, 12:57 AM
dude this is quality enertainment

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 12:59 AM
Best 30 minutes I have had with people I have never met in a while.

SteelerSteve
06-17-2008, 01:01 AM
dude this is quality enertainment.Two words: JUSTIN SMITH
Yeah it is!

steelcitysfinestXL
06-18-2008, 04:52 PM
That poor guy is gonna have a complex if i he ever does go back and read past posts!!!

[AutoMerged Post Below]

LOL, Im not sayin "people are doubting Sweed"!!! I understand the concern with him learning the playbook. But its not as if he's a Quarterback. I dont see him having that much of a problem learning our playbook (for the most part) this offseason and being able to perform at a high level all through out training camp.
I look at rookies like Calvin Johnson, Dwane Bowe, Ant. Gonzales and James Jones. Those rookies avg'ed roughly 50 catches for 600 yds and 3 tds. Nate went for 29 catches 450 yards and 5 tds in his 3rd season. In his 3 year career he has 64 catches for 1070 yds and 9 tds. Bowe almost outdid that in his rookie campaigne.
My point is, i think there is good reason to be excited about the possibilites Sweed can offer THIS SEASON, if given the chance to play.

steelcityrockers
06-18-2008, 10:28 PM
1st Round pick from LSU on a team with no receivers save for the Tight End = automatically #1

UDFA from TIFFIN = decent career.

steelcitysfinestXL
06-19-2008, 11:03 AM
1st Round pick from LSU on a team with no receivers save for the Tight End = automatically #1

UDFA from TIFFIN = decent career.

LOL, and you're right on with that... so why cant a "first round talent" pick out of UT be a #3 on a team with a under achiever at #3 and NO ONE behind him??? Its just my opinion... whomever is there is going to have earned it this year!!! I believe in years past Nate has had the benefit of being "the best of the rest" with a major drop off after him. If its Nate at 3, he looks as if he has made good strides every year. So building on a 6td year wont be bad at all. My only worry is, wr's are only as good as an offense allows them to be. If Sweed has a good camp, stays at #4, we cant be mad if he only has 20 recs for 200 yds and 1 touch like Ced had last year!! i think that would be a gross miss-use of talent if u ask me!