PDA

View Full Version : Jack Lambert

Stairwayto7
06-15-2008, 08:17 AM
Teemont and I have been battling back and forth about former Steelers Linebackers, and I came across this read. I thought I would share it.

http://www.steelergridiron.com/history/jackwasbest.html

It`s not prove any points, that I may have brought up. And it doesn`t compare him to Greg Llyodd or any other Steelers great. But I do think it explains Jack Lambert, and its worth the read. It will talk about his speed, and quickness, and how his perfection and game studying made him great.

TEEMONT
06-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Never said he wasn't great....in the 70's....he just wouldn't pay today with the same exact attributes....

BlitzburghRockCity
06-15-2008, 12:40 PM
There's not a Steeler fan or NFL fan anywhere that can dispute the greatness of Jack Lambert; he was a player for the ages and one of the best linebackers of all time. the debate could go on forever as to if he could play in today's NFL and have the same success. Personally I think his intensity, tenacity, talent, and overall mindset to how he approached the game could carry him during any era but he probably would need to pack on some weight to help his cause.

MDSteel15
06-16-2008, 12:32 AM
There isn't a doubt in my mind that he would be able to play in this ers for the fact that he would be just like any other player today that was in the wightroom 24/7..... Him even more so because he wanted to be a beast!

K Train
06-16-2008, 12:34 AM
weights were around back then? if he wanted to be a beast then im sure he was in there

MDSteel15
06-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Back in the 70's the NFL wasn't a full time job! These guys had other jobs to work in the off season....:eyecrazy:

K Train
06-16-2008, 01:01 AM
Back in the 70's the NFL wasn't a full time job! These guys had other jobs to work in the off season....:eyecrazy:

and yet weight has been around for millions of years

Steel58
06-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Great read.. Lambert is one of the all time greats:tt02::cope:

coggsnyrnyg
06-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Never said he wasn't great....in the 70's....he just wouldn't pay today with the same exact attributes....This could be said about most players of the 70's and most of the OLinemen of the 80's and even early 90's. However, you could also say a lot of the players, especially the OLinemen, wouldn't have survived college the training camps of the 60's and 70's.

Stairwayto7
06-16-2008, 04:11 PM
and yet weight has been around for millions of years

It`s more than weights, its the lifting techniques, and the philosphy behind the training. Looking at your pictures, I really don`t have the time to teach you about training!

Stlrs4Life
06-16-2008, 11:43 PM
There's not a Steeler fan or NFL fan anywhere that can dispute the greatness of Jack Lambert; he was a player for the ages and one of the best linebackers of all time. the debate could go on forever as to if he could play in today's NFL and have the same success. Personally I think his intensity, tenacity, talent, and overall mindset to how he approached the game could carry him during any era but he probably would need to pack on some weight to help his cause.

I feel the same. Alot was said about Jack the same back then, he is too small to play LBer in the NFL. Jack started as a QB in his school days believe it or not. That is an excellent read.

TEEMONT
06-17-2008, 01:13 AM
It`s more than weights, its the lifting techniques, and the philosphy behind the training. Looking at your pictures, I really don`t have the time to teach you about training!

For the umpteenth time....I dont care about him using todays "modern" way of lifting. The biggest reason I said he couldn't play today was b/c yesterdays era is inferior to todays. No one can say otherwise.

The funny thing is, KTrain talks about himself and it's all just a joke. People like you don't get that.

Once again...Jack Lambert was a bitch who would get mowed over by todays lineman, and RB's. **** the 70's, they are long gone....get over it.

SteelerSteve
06-17-2008, 01:15 AM
Once again...Jack Lambert was a bitch who would get mowed over by todays lineman, and RB's. **** the 70's, they are long gone....get over it. Just Imagine how badly a tremendous reciever like Matt Jones would own Lambert? its almost painful to imagine. (GO ROONEYS!!!) :bluelol:

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 01:16 AM
Matt Jones would surely allow us to win Super Bowls, as long as we say noooooooooooooo to Antony McFarland.

SteelerSteve
06-17-2008, 01:21 AM
Matt Jones would surely allow us to win Super Bowls, as long as we say noooooooooooooo to Antony McFarland.
And then maybe, just maybe, we could start considering Ben as the greatest steelers qb ever, but he'll definitley never reach that level without Matt Jones

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 01:22 AM
Matt Jones is the epitome of greatness. In other words, the exact opposite of Booger.

SteelerSteve
06-17-2008, 01:25 AM
Matt Jones is the epitome of greatness. In other words, the exact opposite of Booger.Oh definitley, Matt Jones is a football god. Booger could barely make a AFL roster. Thats it, Ktrain and steelcityrockers....you are now my favorite members on this site :lol:

K Train
06-17-2008, 01:25 AM
whatever, as long as we got the rooneys we'll be bringing in the lombardis

SteelerSteve
06-17-2008, 01:27 AM
whatever, as long as we got the rooneys we'll be bringing in the lombardisyeah, but we definitley wont achieve true greatness without Matt jones.

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 01:28 AM
I have honestly not stopped laughing since 11:30.

SteelerSteve
06-17-2008, 01:30 AM
i notice I don't see too many pics of cleve....they probably haven't made a camera that can capture all of his heart and badassery to this day. You've talked shiat on my for being fat...(ummm ok) and now u talk shiat on train for being lean....seriously if I could only balance perfection like you do, then I would have no reason to keep on living. Put the Jack Lambert of the 70's in front of me, and I would **** his world up. I guess since you can be an internet badass....so can I.Just dont **** off Matt Jones and you should be okay :hilarious:

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 01:31 AM
Matt Jones has beat up Chuck Norris. Twice. Also literally ate Anthony McFarland. Twice.

SteelerSteve
06-17-2008, 01:33 AM
Matt Jones has beat up Chuck Norris. Twice. Also literally ate Anthony McFarland. Twice.
Matt Jones will shatter all of Rice's recieving records by the end of his career MARK IT DOWN. Probably a good chance Steel58 may not come back on this site either :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32

Chuck Norris...................:lol: Chuck Norris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TEEMONT
Just dont **** off Matt Jones and you should be okay :hilarious:

isnt he like 9 foot tall and 400lbs? Its those modern supplements...

SteelerSteve
06-17-2008, 01:35 AM
isnt he like 9 foot tall and 400lbs? Its those modern supplements...
with the kind of hops he has he might as well be lol I dont know what Booger Mcfarlands problem is though :lol: Just Say NO to Booger!!:bluelol:

TEEMONT
06-17-2008, 01:37 AM
all i know is if jack lambert used todays supplements...especially the ones cleve sells....he would be able to conquer china

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 01:38 AM
Matt Jones would get in the way and Terry Bradshaw would have to break it up. It would be epic.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-17-2008, 01:42 AM
all i know is if jack lambert used todays supplements...especially the ones cleve sells....he would be able to conquer china

Dude Lambert on todays shiat we could just send our troops home from Iraq....Lambert would all we need....He could search through the whole Middle East looking for Bin Laden then find him and rip his head off with his bear arms....Then fly back to the Pittsburgh and mount Bin Laden's head on top of Heinz Field....:lol:

K Train
06-17-2008, 01:45 AM
Dude Lambert on todays shiat we could just send our troops home from Iraq....Lambert would all we need....He could search through the whole Middle East looking for Bin Laden then find him and rip his head off with his bear arms....Then fly back to the Pittsburgh and mount Bin Laden's head on top of Heinz Field....:lol:

then give him a 6 pack a beer and a half hour break and he'll go handle north korea

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 01:57 AM
It a bird...its a plane...it SUPER LAMBERT!!

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/steelcityrockers/Untitled45.jpg

Black@Gold Forever32
06-17-2008, 02:05 AM
then give him a 6 pack a beer and a half hour break and he'll go handle north korea

Kim Jong-il beware...Super Lambert is coming for your.....:lol:

Steel58
06-17-2008, 11:08 AM
The best ever next to Butkus

TEEMONT
06-17-2008, 01:17 PM
The best ever next to Butkus

who also would get his lunch handed to him in todays NFL

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 01:30 PM
There are so few players who can transcend generations.

coggsnyrnyg
06-17-2008, 01:44 PM
The best ever next to ButkusI guess you have never heard of Lawrence Taylor?

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Maybe he was going for Middle/Inside Linebacker? Where I would not say Lambert was THE best. Very, very good in his day, but the best ever? No.

coggsnyrnyg
06-17-2008, 03:12 PM
OK, that makes sense. Like I said, I never saw Lambert play, or Butkus for that matter. I know many who will put Singletary ahead of both.

Steelerlyn
06-17-2008, 03:48 PM
In terms of size/weight/muscle/speed advantages that the current NFL players have over the past NFL players, you made a very solid point. Many fe male fans weigh what the lineman of mediocore teams (LIKE THE CLOWNS) 230#. The Steelers of the past would get blown out of the water by the 300+ lb lineman of today. For the Steelers of the past, goalline situations, versus a current NFL team would be rendered obsolete. The Steelers running game would get nowhere, because their O-line wouldn't be able to create any lanes for their RB, and their Steel Curtain would be made to look more like a plastic sheet when going against the 320+ O-lineman of today. The only way the NFL of the past can compare with the NFL of today is in heart/awareness/fundamentals. Other than those factors, the whole game has changed. And those factors, unfortunately for the Steelers of the past, would not be enough to win the game. They would be too beat up and tired to use any heart to win the game. Remember too that there was no off season conditioning back then and offensive and defensive lineman weigh about 50 pounds of solid muscle (heavier) today. The Steelers probably could not run a single yard, protect the quarterback, prevent holes from being opened and pressure the QB of a team from today. But as a Jack Lambert fan, I firmly believe that he would have himself in today's condition to play in the NFL today and he would be A#1:plus1: :markit: because Jack Lambert had the guts and the passion to be the very best and he would easily do it again today. Keep in mind that these guys had a regular job in "offseason" they did not hang out in the weight room.

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 04:00 PM
I firmly disagree with you and that is what makes life interesting.

Steelerlyn
06-17-2008, 04:03 PM
I firmly disagree with you and that is what makes life interesting.

What do you disagree with? My post pretty much consisted of FACTS:yellowthumb:

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 04:06 PM
That Jack Lambert would be a "#1" today.

TEEMONT
06-17-2008, 04:14 PM
What do you disagree with? My post pretty much consisted of FACTS:yellowthumb:

what about that post was fact? Other than you stated there are big lineman now.

K Train
06-17-2008, 04:18 PM
when you start guaranteeing stuff based on heart and passion it becomes far from fact. they would laugh at him today and thats the way it is. he just wouldnt strike fear into the hearts of todays athletes at all unless he bought stuff from atgsportsnutrition.net of course

Steelerlyn
06-17-2008, 04:20 PM
That Jack Lambert would be a "#1" today.

My last statement was that I believe if Jack Lambert were playing in the NFL today, he would have himself in the necessary shape. if you disagree with that .......... well that is what makes the world go around. :yellowthumb::yellowthumb: :)

TEEMONT
06-17-2008, 04:21 PM
when you start guaranteeing stuff based on heart and passion it becomes far from fact. they would laugh at him today and thats the way it is. he just wouldnt strike fear into the hearts of todays athletes at all unless he bought stuff from atgsportsnutrition.net of course

in which case he would take over the world....but mainly b/c of his heart and attitude.

mental.apparition
06-17-2008, 05:51 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah, Lambert was told he couldn't do it back then and no doubt would hear the same bullshiate today. He played his way to the HOF then and would do the same in this era.

Once again...Jack Lambert was a bitch
Lambert was a bitch? That statement is just plain ****ing dumb. :willybs:

He has some sand in his va-jay-jay.
aren't you the same guy who complained about a wisecrack aimed @ you last week? :scratch:

K Train
06-17-2008, 06:15 PM
alright back on topic

if you would like to continue to bitch please go here lol

http://steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?p=211501#post211501

SteelerSteve
06-17-2008, 07:14 PM
K-train, I think I found out why I enjoy posting with you so much, I think its because I am kinda turned on by your avatar :bluelol:

Stlrs4Life
06-17-2008, 08:38 PM
I guess you have never heard of Lawrence Taylor?

LT was tough. But he wasn't as good as Lambert.

K Train
06-17-2008, 08:47 PM
LT was tough. But he wasn't as good as Lambert.

there is very little question to LT being the best LB

SteelerDan43
06-17-2008, 09:14 PM
LT's reputation is greatly enhanced by the advent of popular sports media and the NFL on regular TV becoming more prevalent during his era

K Train
06-17-2008, 09:18 PM
maybe but he was crazy good and just a terrifying presence on the field, all he did was demolish quarterbacks and single handly changes not only the outcome of games he palyed it but how offenses played the sport around him

coggsnyrnyg
06-17-2008, 09:20 PM
wow. let's see, when football people are asked who they feel are the three most dominating defensive players of all time, I usually hear them say Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, and Ronnie Lott. But, I guess he wasn't as good as Lambert. OK.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

LT's reputation is greatly enhanced by the advent of popular sports media and the NFL on regular TV becoming more prevalent during his erabe honest, how often did you see Taylor play? My guess is maybe 2-3 times per year?

K Train
06-17-2008, 09:27 PM
i dont know if lambert could crack the top 5 steelers linebackers of all time, let alone the top overall linebacker of all time.

he wouldnt be nearly this popular if he had teeth

SteelerDan43
06-17-2008, 09:33 PM
wow. let's see, when football people are asked who they feel are the three most dominating defensive players of all time, I usually hear them say Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, and Ronnie Lott. But, I guess he wasn't as good as Lambert. OK.

[AutoMerged Post Below]
be honest, how often did you see Taylor play? My guess is maybe 2-3 times per year?

Hell in the 70's people in Pittsburgh didnt get to see Lambert play on TV every week, local TV contract had not taken off and ESPN was not around in his day... For the most part outside of the playoffs or attending games people did not see many games at all... You got your sports news through the paper. People are going to over rate players such as LT because of his increased exposure compared to those who played before them, those are the players that they can visualize in their heads from watching TV. Lets not forget that none of the great linebackers of yester year even appear on the sack list.

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 09:42 PM
aren't you the same guy who complained about a wisecrack aimed @ you last week? :scratch:

Wasn't really a complaint. Plus, I was in a decidedly bad mood that day. I have been in a damned good mood for awhile.

[AutoMerged Post Below]
Are people calling Lawerence Taylor Overrated? WTF?

SteelerDan43
06-17-2008, 09:47 PM
Wasn't really a complaint. Plus, I was in a decidedly bad mood that day. I have been in a damned good mood for awhile.

[AutoMerged Post Below]
Are people calling Lawerence Taylor Overrated? WTF?

No doubt he was a great player, dominating in his time... I dont think he is in the discussion for greatest ever though... That talk I think is a product of the general feeling that the more recent the better.

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Oh yes he is. He completely changed the way Linebackers play the game. How is he not in the top?

SteelerDan43
06-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Oh yes he is. He completely changed the way Linebackers play the game. How is he not in the top?

How did he change the way they play the game? I would love to hear this explanation, what are you going to tell me LBs didnt Blitz before him?

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Oh they did, but he was the first great pass-rusher at LB. Before him Left Tackles would only really have to worry about the RE lined up right in fron of them. In comes Bill Parcells with the 34 and LT. Suddenly, people have to plan their entire offensive gameplan around him when they plaed the Giants.

K Train
06-17-2008, 09:54 PM
alot of the more recent players are better, thats just the way it is.

im not completely shutting out the existance of the previous eras but MOST of the time those guys are gonna be down on the list a little bit, there are exceptions...lambert and bradshaw just arent them

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 10:09 PM
I will attempt to do a quick list of players who could play today. Rip it apart, if you will

In no particular order...

1. Gale Sayers.

2. Jim Brown.

3. Deacon Jones.

4. Mel Blount at STRONG SAFETY.

5. Dan Fouts

6. Kenny Anderson (wicked accurate)

7. Johnny Unitas

8. Howie Long

9. Ozzie Newsome

10. Kellen Winslow

11. Mike Singletary

Pretty much everyone would have to pack on weight though, and That is why I am leery of this list.

SteelerDan43
06-17-2008, 10:12 PM
I believe the change was in the gameplan, In the 70's it was a D-Line game, in the 80's it was a LB game. LT didnt create that. People found that changing up the style threw the other teams off balance so they did it. LT reaped the benefits. Once again his pass rushing abilities were overblown due to the sack stat that came to be, tackles and sacks were not recored in any type of accuracy or even at all before his time so there is no comparison. Athletes today are just different animals all together, they should be fast, stronger, etc. with the improved training methods. Does that mean that the previous generations are any less athletic? Its like saying a baseball player now is better than a guy that played in the deadball era because he hits more HRs, its just not true

Black@Gold Forever32
06-17-2008, 10:15 PM
I will attempt to do a quick list of players who could play today. Rip it apart, if you will

1. Gale Sayers.

2. Jim Brown.

3. Deacon Jones.

5. Dan Fouts

7. Johnny Unitas

8. Howie Long

9. Ozzie Newsome

10. Kellen Winslow

11. Mike Singletary

Pretty much everyone would have to pack on weight though, and That is why I am leery of this list.

Dude Deacon Jones was the man....Have you read his book Headslap? Great book....I think Unitas is the greatest QB of all time.....As for Anderson yea with all the west coast offense variations today he would succeed no doubt since he actually played in the first west coast offense....Bill Walsh was the OC with Anderson in his prime......Thats were the west coast offense concepts were born....Nice list overall

Its so hard comparing eras....Rules, players size and speed, technological advances all have changed throughout the years.....So really its all opinion rather then fact......But its always interesting and fun to discuss.....

K Train
06-17-2008, 10:16 PM

1. Gale Sayers.

2. Jim Brown.

3. Deacon Jones.

5. Dan Fouts

7. Johnny Unitas

8. Howie Long

9. Ozzie Newsome

10. Kellen Winslow

11. Mike Singletary

doubt deacan jones could do it today, i do think Joe Greene could still play DT cause its the easiest postition to play and he was a big powerful angry man

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 10:21 PM
The only reason I put Deacon Jones in (I actually forgot about Joe) was his production was simply absurd. Even as a pass-rush specialist he may find success. I mean he (unofficially) had 173 sacks with (unofficially) 26 in one season.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-17-2008, 10:23 PM
doubt deacan jones could do it today, i do think Joe Greene could still play DT cause its the easiest postition to play and he was a big powerful angry man

Joe Greene would be beast today......

Dude Deacon couldn't use his head slap move since the rules would prevent that....But that was one mean and determined man....I read his book and its a great book.......I learned alot about Deacon in his book...Its so good I'm going to read it for again someday...Its been a few years since the last time I read it....

Deacon was also 6-5 and 272.....So please don't use the size argument against him....

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 10:28 PM
I was not aware that he was that big. He would still probably be pretty good in a 43/Tampa-Two.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-17-2008, 10:42 PM
I was not aware that he was that big. He would still probably be pretty good in a 43/Tampa-Two.

I meant 252....Deacon entered the NFL at 230 pounds...He put on weight as he progressed through the league....when he was in his prime he was up to 250 pounds to 260.....

steelcityrockers
06-17-2008, 10:47 PM
So he would have to move to 3-4 OLB or take on a Dwight Freeney role. Whatever, I still think he could play.

coggsnyrnyg
06-18-2008, 06:27 AM
Hell in the 70's people in Pittsburgh didnt get to see Lambert play on TV every week, local TV contract had not taken off and ESPN was not around in his day... For the most part outside of the playoffs or attending games people did not see many games at all... You got your sports news through the paper. People are going to over rate players such as LT because of his increased exposure compared to those who played before them, those are the players that they can visualize in their heads from watching TV. Lets not forget that none of the great linebackers of yester year even appear on the sack list.If anything that would have helped Lambert's legend. People would have had to judge him based on word of mouth rather than what they saw and that often causes the truth to be exaggerated.

[AutoMerged Post Below]

How did he change the way they play the game? I would love to hear this explanation, what are you going to tell me LBs didnt Blitz before him?Taylor from what I understand was the first Rush-Backer. He completely screwed up the opponents passing game and could shut down the run. Teams couldn't run to his side. I would say not being able to run to one side of the field would put a big damper on your offense.