PDA

View Full Version : Are there too many offseason drills?

BlitzburghRockCity
06-12-2008, 06:58 AM
After reading this article (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08164/889325-66.stm)it got me thinking, is Tomlin pushing this team too hard in the offseason to the point where they will have very little left for training camp and then end up burning out before the regular season is over?

Here's an exerpt..
The Steelers today wind up their spring workouts, and that comes none too soon for wide receiver Santonio Holmes.

Holmes doesn't care much for all the football practices that take place in the "offseason" and would like to see coaches reduce the amount of time players spend on the practice fields from April into June.

Toward that end, Holmes called his own timeout over the past few weeks. He pulled on his practice jersey and attended workouts but did little on the field in team drills during that time. He stayed out again yesterday and said he won't practice in today's final session.

"Just a lot of soreness throughout the whole body," Holmes gave as his reason, "from all of these days going back to back, back to back. It's kind of like guys were expecting more time off during the offseason, but this offseason we've had more time in. It's taken a little wear and tear, now it's time to rest the body a little bit."

I could go either way on this one; you want the players to stay in shape and remain focused but you also need to give them time to get away from football, heal up the injuries, and just generally relax before the rigors of camp starts up again.

Steel58
06-12-2008, 08:43 AM
I agree, give these guys some time off

JensK
06-12-2008, 11:54 AM
There is no need to push them THAT hard. Obviously, tomlin want his team to be in shape when the season starts, but it wont help we start out good, if half of our players are injured or tired i december.

I guees it comes with experiance. How far can he take them without taking them too far.. Its a tough balance.

ejsteeler
06-12-2008, 12:39 PM
I believe there should be a mandatory off season regiment, but toned down and only serve the purpose of keeping everypone in shape. The money they make, that should not be a problem. Let practices begin in practice. :yellowthumb:

NOVA STEELERS
06-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Your talkin' bout Practice - AI quote :hilarious:

K Train
06-12-2008, 12:57 PM
its not like they bust their asses at these things, its walkthrough ****

AZ_Steeler
06-12-2008, 01:05 PM
ok... I think my work load is too much here at work so I don't think I'm going to do much today because I have way too much work and it makes my head hurt. I think they (my bosses) need to lighten up my work load and while they are at it give me a raise!

Give me a break!!! These guys get paid millions of dollars to be in the best physical condition one could be in and to go out play football everyday of their life!!! That is something a majority of us only got to do as a kid and more than likely in high school... I'm sure there are plenty of other people who would do anything to be in the position these guys are. Mr. Holmes needs to just shutup, suck it up and get *** out there on the field and practice!!! What a big baby!!!

K Train
06-12-2008, 01:09 PM
why dont you tell us how you really feel lol

AZ_Steeler
06-12-2008, 01:30 PM
why dont you tell us how you really feel lol

:D It just bothers me to hear athletes making that much money bitch about practice when there is someone working at a fast food joint making minimum wage who shows up to work every day, does his/her job and doesn't say a word about it or COMPLAIN... they are just happy to have a job and a paycheck!

HUNT4SEVEN
06-12-2008, 08:40 PM
:D It just bothers me to hear athletes making that much money bitch about practice when there is someone working at a fast food joint making minimum wage who shows up to work every day, does his/her job and doesn't say a word about it or COMPLAIN... they are just happy to have a job and a paycheck!

AGREED I'LL CHANGE POSTIONS WITH ANYONE OF THEM!!!!!!!

Steel58
06-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Give these some time off

SteelfordWexler
06-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Mr. Holmes needs to just shutup, suck it up and get *** out there on the field and practice!!! What a big baby!!!

I had the same reaction. It makes you wonder what kind of shape he is in.

Ambridge
06-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Sure these guys make millions but there's a fine line between "enough work" and "too much work".
I don't think it's out of line to say that over last ten years we've seen the significant rise of severe and season ending injuries happening in the pre-season and the regular season as well. The argument for the injuries is that these players never get a chance to let their bodies fully rest...recuperate and heal before they are into the "Voluntary Workouts"....Mini Camps and OTA's.

I can remember back in the good old days before the NFL became a year round business for the players..........there was hardly any severe injuries at all...probably because players had more time to rest their bodies and weren't forced to show something in the off season to justify the ever increasing player contracts.

SteelfordWexler
06-13-2008, 11:00 PM
I can remember back in the good old days before the NFL became a year round business for the players..........there was hardly any severe injuries at all...probably because players had more time to rest their bodies and weren't forced to show something in the off season to justify the ever increasing player contracts.

I'm not sure this is true, but if it is, its probably because players are bigger, stronger and faster than ever before. Conditioning was always a factor -think about the longevity of players "back in the day" like Walter Payton and Jerry Rice. They had infamous offseason conditioning programs. The players need to work year-round to be competitive these days when in the past it made players elite (not to discount those players unique talents). If the players are not maintaining their conditioning - playing around in shorts might be troublesome, but I would hope that these guys could handle it at this level.

Ambridge
06-18-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm not sure this is true, but if it is, its probably because players are bigger, stronger and faster than ever before. Conditioning was always a factor -think about the longevity of players "back in the day" like Walter Payton and Jerry Rice. They had infamous offseason conditioning programs. The players need to work year-round to be competitive these days when in the past it made players elite (not to discount those players unique talents). If the players are not maintaining their conditioning - playing around in shorts might be troublesome, but I would hope that these guys could handle it at this level.

The last 15-20yrs has ushered in the era of personal trainers, nutritionist...etc, for the professional athletes to take advantage of. This takes the average to above average athlete and propels him into the Superior to Elite Athlete status. The "Bigger, Stronger, Faster argument I believe makes my point......that the desire to succeed and compete has players pushing their bodies beyond normal limits on a year round basis and you know what?? something is going to give. A body that doesn't properly rest and heal is at risk of incurring injury.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-19-2008, 07:01 AM
You would think with the advances in medical technology and the advances in stadiums and field conditions that we'd be seeing less of these severe injuries but that's not the case like you mentioned. The players lack of conditioning heading into all these minicamps is definitely the reason for the nagging injuries that happen between April and July; so maybe less workouts would solve that or maybe just giving the players 1 month off and then back into required weekly workouts or something to make them stay in shape would be better? IMO probably not though, the pounding these guys take over a full season including camp and the playoffs is enough to warrant less drills but in turn the players need to be disciplined enough to stay good shape and keep their flexibility up.

SteelfordWexler
06-19-2008, 12:53 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_291033.html

This is an interesting read on the subject of injuries. Apparently, the steps taken in recent years to protect players - like some of the rules changes and the improvement in playing surfaces - have been effective in offsetting some of the damage caused by bigger, stronger, faster players playing a faster game. I was surprised to see knee injuries are down.

The NFLPA believes rules changes that have changed the game from the 3 yards and a cloud of dust scrum of the 60's/ 70's to the greatest show on earth passing game of the 90's and 2000's for some of the more devastating injuries that seem to be on the rise. There are more high speed colisions than in the old school game. I guess conditioning doesn't help much there.

On the point of whether the players need more rest - I admit I'm not qualified to have an informed opinion, but I guess I was assuming the activity at the OTA would be much like what the players would be doing on thier own by three or four months after the season to keep in shape (ie running around in shorts).

JensK
06-19-2008, 06:16 PM
WEll, they may earn a lot of money and they may be lucky to have the job they have. But the human body can only perform so much. If you push it to hard, no matter how many money you'll earn, you'll hurt your self. We saw it last season. Ppl got tired at the end of the season, people got injured etc etc. If thats what we want, why sure! Let them practice harder, so we can own the first 6 games, and then fail in december, where it really matters (kind of like last year..)

SteelerSteve
06-19-2008, 11:57 PM
I agree, give these guys some time off
Give them time off! I agree 110%

steelcityrockers
06-20-2008, 11:11 AM
Go Rooney's!