PDA

View Full Version : Bentley asks and receives release from Clowns

Stlrs4Life
06-11-2008, 10:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3437734

BEREA, Ohio -- The story of LeCharles Bentley and the Cleveland Browns took another odd -- and final -- turn Wednesday.

LeCharles Bentley

Bentley
In what has been a bizarre situation from the very beginning, Bentley skipped practice this morning to ask for his release. The Browns granted it, just 24 hours after the team announced that he passed his physical and was cleared to rejoin the team.

There were good vibes coming from both sides Tuesday after Bentley practiced with the team for the first time in nearly two years.

"He asked for permission for his release and it was granted," Bentley's agent, Jonathan Feinsod said. "When LeCharles originally signed with the Browns, their situation is entirely different than it was today. Because of his injury, the Browns didn't know if and when he was going to come back and had to make alternative plans."

Apparently, Bentley has alternative plans, too.

Bentley was arguably one of the best centers in the NFL when healthy, and he didn't want to remain in Cleveland as a backup. He will be looking to sign with another team before the season where he has a better opportunity to be a starter.

After signing a six-year, $36 million contract in 2006, Bentley never saw a down in a Browns uniform after having two knee surgeries in the past two years. He tore his patellar tendon during the first day of training camp two years ago and needed a second surgery to clear out a subsequent staph infection.

"We wish him the best," Browns general manager Phil Savage said. "As far as LeCharles and the Browns, I think this is a chapter that finally comes to an end. We got some closure to it now, and we can go our separate ways in a positive manner."

After two years of an up-and-down relationship between Bentley and the team, both sides will look to move on.

"There is no animosity with the Cleveland Browns," Feinsod said. "They had to do what they had to do. They couldn't sit back and wait, and they didn't."

Well, do we take a chance on this guy? Couldn't afford him anyways. No doubt better than Mahan. Wonder what the Browns fans think of this.

JoeThomas
06-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Im on the fence to be honest. Id of much rather had him on the team. I think he needed 1 year to play somewhat and then jump back into it. He was going to be a FA after this season anyway. He must feel he is ready right now. But after missing 2 years I doubt a team will say here is a starting job. Might be a great move or dumb. He might be a backup on another team.

Ambridge
06-13-2008, 08:13 PM
I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that Bentley will see any big money on the FA market.
2 years out of the league following a significant injury and infection??? I'm guessing he gets nothing more than low ball offers from a few teams at best.

steelcityrockers
06-13-2008, 11:12 PM
If he was not such a retard, I would like to see the Steelers kick the tires and see what he has left. Lord knows we still need help at C/G.

BlitzburghNation
06-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Talk on sirius from hosts,,,,,,,Saying it would be a good pick up for us !

IMO it couldn't hurt as long as he's not expecting mega cabbage,,,,,,,, :popcorn2: