PDA

View Full Version : Steelers 2008 Training Camp Information

Captcoolhand
06-10-2008, 12:15 AM
http://news.steelers.com/article/90554/

http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent//2007/07/30/17/07_TC_072907_tomlin_team_79131.jpg

Steelers 2008 Training Camp Information

Normal Schedule: Parking lots open at 12 noon; Campus opens at 1:30 p.m. and practice at 2:55 (see schedule below - Changes for night practices - subject to change.) Steelers Experience opens one hour before practice and closes one hour after practice at St. Vincent College.

(http://www.steelers.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=111298)Daily updates regarding the Steelers practice schedule will be available on this page. Please be sure to check the schedule on a regular basis for any changes.

Please keep in mind that there might be changes to the practice schedule or cancellation of practice because of weather conditions. Unfortunately sometimes those changes occur shortly before practice is scheduled to take place and we are unable to announce the change. Latrobe, PA Weather Updates (http://www.weather.com/weather/local/USPA0871?whatprefs=)

2008 Steelers Training Camp Practice Schedule (http://www.steelers.com/MediaContent/2008/06/05/11/Training_Camp_Schedule_90556.doc)

The Steelers host training camp at St. Vincent College in Latrobe, Pa. Steelers players report on Sunday, July 27 and the first open practice is Monday, July 28. The final practice open to the public is on Sunday, August 17.
There is no admission charge for practices at St. Vincent College. For practice at the high school field there is a small admission fee.
Directions to St. Vincent College - Training Camp Site

From Pittsburgh, follow I-376 East to Monroeville. Proceed approximately 12-13 miles to the Pennsylvania Turnpike entrance and enter the Turnpike traveling east.
Take Irwin Exit 67 (the first exit - old exit 7) and merge onto Route 30 East. Continue on Route 30 for approximately 18 miles.
As you travel down a long hill just before the Arnold Palmer Regional Airport*, you will see a sign on the right for St. Vincent College. Turn left opposite the sign at the traffic light onto St. Vincent Drive. This road leads to the Saint Vincent campus. A free parking lot is available to the right just after the practice fields.
* - If you get to the traffic light with the airport on your immediate right, you have gone too far. Make a left "U" turn at the light and follow Route 30 West for approximately one mile to the St. Vincent entrance on your right.
From Harrisburg, Philadelphia, New Jersey and points east: Take the Pennsylvania Turnpike, I-76 West, to exit 91 (old exit 9) Donegal. Turn left onto PA Route 31 East, 1/4 mile to left turn at PA Route 711 North, 14 miles to left turn at U.S. Route 30 West, 10 miles to right turn at Saint Vincent Drive (at traffic signal), 1/2 mile to campus entrance.
From Erie, Buffalo and points north: Take Interstate 79 south to its junction with I-76, the Pennsylvania Turnpike, at gate 28 (old gate 3) Cranberry/Perry Highway. Take I-76 east to exit 67 (old exit 7) Irwin. Turn right onto U.S. Route 30 East, 17 miles to left turn at Saint Vincent Drive (at traffic signal), 1/2 mile to entrance.

From Baltimore, Washington and points south: Take Interstate 70 west to its junction with I-76, the Pennsylvania Turnpike, at gate 161 (old gate 12) Breezewood, proceed on I-76 west to exit 91 (old exit 9) Donegal. Turn left onto PA Route 31 East, 1/4 mile to left turn at PA Route 711 North, 14 miles to left turn at U.S. Route 30 West, 10 miles to right turn at Saint Vincent Drive (at traffic signal), 1/2 mile to campus entrance. (provided by St. Vincent College)

For directions coming from other areas we recommend that you check an on-line map service for driving directions. The best route that we recommend is to remain on the PA Turnpike if you are able to and then take Route 30 from there.
Training Camp Fast Facts:

Dates: Players report July 27. First open day of practice is Monday, July 28. Last public day of open practice is August 17.

Practice Time: Practices normally start about 2:55 but are subject to change without notice.

Location: St. Vincent College (http://www.stvincent.edu/) is the home to Steelers. The campus opens at 1:30 p.m. for fans. Campus is cleared after the Steelers Experience closes. The schedule varies for night practice. This is subject to change and campus can close earlier without notice.

Steelers Experience: The Steelers Experience normally runs from 2:00 pm to 6:00 when there is a 2:55 p.m. practice.The schedule varies based on practice time. Please note the experience is subject to close due to the weather.

Restrictions: There is no videotaping of practice permitted. Video cameras should not be brought on campus. Alcoholic beverages are not permitted on campus. Bags and coolers will be searched by security. No pets are permitted on campus.

Handicapped Access: Training camp is handicapped accessible. There is limited handicapped parking available and once this area is filled there is a handicap drop off and pick up location. A government issued placard is required.
Directions to Latrobe Memorial Stadium August 1

From Route 30 - Follow directions to Saint Vincent College and proceed east on Route 30 (past the St. Vincent College entrance). Take Route 981. At the Arnold Palmer Regional Airport, make a left at the traffic light onto Route 981 North. Proceed through 2 traffic lights as you will cross a bridge over Loyalhanna creek. At the third traffic light, make a right onto Jefferson Street. Go straight through one stop sign and at the second stop sign, make a right onto Chestnut Street. Latrobe Memorial Stadium will be on your right on Chestnut Street.
From Route 22 - Take the Route 981 South exit from Route 22 East. Proceed approximately 8 miles until you come across the first traffic light. Make a right at light onto Latrobe/Derry Road. Proceed straight through 2 additional traffic lights. At the next traffic light, make a left onto Jefferson Street. Proceed straight through one traffic light and one stop sign. At the next stop sign, make a right onto Chestnut Street. Latrobe Memorial Stadium is on our right on Chestnut Street.

Steelers Merchandise
The Steelers merchandise tent is open whenever the Steelers have practice at St. Vincent College. The tent is located near the entrance to campus, across from the parking lots.

Steelers Experience At Camp
The Pittsburgh Steelers will operate their "UPMC Steelers Experience" at training camp again this year. The Experience will be open on days when the Steelers have an afternoon practice at St. Vincent College, where training camp takes place.

The traveling Coca-Cola Great Hall also will be featured at training camp near the practice field. This trailer is the touring version of the Coca-Cola Great Hall which can be seen at the stadium on game days as well as other events at Heinz Field. Inside the Coca-Cola Great Hall trailer, fans of all ages can experience the storied history of the Steelers organization as well as an opportunity to broadcast a play by play call (You Make The Call) of a great moment in Steelers history. In addition, fans can try their luck on the prize wheel to win various team related merchandise.
Autographs:
The best time to obtain autographs from the players is after practice and it's at the players discretion as to whether or not they sign on a particular day. There are areas designated for fans to stand to obtain the autographs. There is no formal setting for player autographs on a daily basis.
Where to stay:
The following links will take you to websites for hotel accommodations in the training camp area.
Latrobe (http://greensburg.pa.usa.metrotravelguide.com/hotels/Latrobe/PA/USA/)

Anyone looking or planning on going please leave a date for others here that might be there.

Apology if this has been announced or posted already.:nahnah:

HUNT4SEVEN
06-10-2008, 12:41 AM
man i can't wait..............

Captcoolhand
06-10-2008, 01:56 AM
I'm actually thinking about going this year. :yesnod:
Family Reunion on the 26th so i might stay around for a day or 2 and check out camp.:dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
06-10-2008, 02:09 AM
I'd like to make a trip out there for a day or 2...depends on the vacation time I have left. Perhaps we can get a few people out there at the same time this year, from SA?

Captcoolhand
06-10-2008, 02:25 AM
I'd like to make a trip out there for a day or 2...depends on the vacation time I have left. Perhaps we can get a few people out there at the same time this year, from SA?I hear ya but I might have to take that whole week off. I hate to drive back the day before you have to go back to work.:evilshake:

Steel58
06-10-2008, 08:13 AM
I wish I can be there:helmet:

NOVA STEELERS
06-10-2008, 11:39 AM
I am looking at trying to make it up there for a day or two :crossfingers:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-07-2008, 06:37 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08189/895360-66.stm

Steelers 2008 Training Camp schedule
Monday, July 07, 2008
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Afternoon workouts generally run from 2:55 p.m. to 5 p.m. at St. Vincent College in Latrobe. The campus opens to the public at 1:30 p.m. on the days there is a 2:55 practice. Poor weather could result in the cancellation of practice, and this schedule is subject to change without notice.

Sunday, July 27
-- NO OPEN PRACTICE --
Players report

Monday, July 28
Practice, 2:55 p.m.

Tuesday, July 29

Wednesday, July 30

Thursday, July 31

Friday, Aug. 1
Night practice, 7 p.m., Latrobe Stadium

Saturday, Aug. 2

Sunday, Aug. 3

Monday, Aug. 4

Tuesday, Aug. 5
Night practice, 5:30 p.m., St. Vincent

Wednesday, Aug. 6

Thursday, Aug. 7
-- NO OPEN PRACTICE --

Friday, Aug. 8
Steelers vs. Eagles, 7:30 p.m.

Saturday, Aug. 9
-- NO PRACTICE -- OFF DAY

Sunday, Aug. 10

Monday, Aug. 11

Tuesday, Aug. 12

Wednesday, Aug. 13
-- NO OPEN PRACTICE --

Thursday, Aug. 14
Steelers vs. Bills, 7:30 p.m., in Toronto

Friday, Aug. 15
-- NO PRACTICE -- OFF DAY

Saturday, Aug. 16

Sunday, Aug. 17

Monday, Aug. 18
Team breaks training camp

Captcoolhand
07-08-2008, 12:04 PM
good to see that Tomlin isn't trying to beat the hell out of them like he did last year with 2-a-day practices.:yellowthumb:

AZ_Steeler
07-25-2008, 01:58 PM
I am going to camp!!! :woot: I don't have a day yet, but it looks like it will be the first weekend in August around the 3rd through the 5th :D

BR7
07-26-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm looking to make a trip as well. Almost around the same time as AZ. My birthday falls between Aug 3 and Aug 5 (its the 4th for people bad at math :D ).

Might have to drag my Browns fan brother with me.

AZ_Steeler
07-26-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm looking to make a trip as well. Almost around the same time as AZ. My birthday falls between Aug 3 and Aug 5 (its the 4th for people bad at math :D ).

Might have to drag my Browns fan brother with me.

Awesome! We don't have a date finalized yet but I'll let you know when we do.. TG was asking too so he might be out there as well! :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-26-2008, 11:24 AM
yeah depending on the date I might be able to make the trip out there for a day when u all r there. ...now THAT would be way cool. Actually looking at that schedule if you guys are going that sunday, or monday I just might be able to make since those are my days off anyways. going on the 5th would be pushing it for me since I work on the 6th..let me know when u guys know for sure and maybe we can hook up.

AZ_Steeler
07-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Sounds like we might need to setup a booth :D

BlitzburghRockCity
07-26-2008, 11:27 AM
hhmmm, note to self, bring out extra business cards :D

SteelerDan43
07-26-2008, 04:23 PM
FYI if your looking for autographs go to the night practice @ Latrobe HS

BR7
07-26-2008, 08:14 PM
FYI if your looking for autographs go to the night practice @ Latrobe HS

Can't get them durring the day?

BlitzburghRockCity
07-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Yeah you can get them anytime after practice is over when the players come off the field but the night practices they usually hang around a bit long from what I understand. The players and coaches are never required to stop and talk to the fans and sometimes most of them don't but you'll almost always get atleast some of them to come over. I know Cowher used to come over on a regular basis after each practice for a few minutes and chat with the fans. I would imagine Tomlin does the same when he is able too. the few times I've been there, there have always been a nice group of players that come over and sign your stuff, shake your hand, etc. if it's really really hot out they didn't stay as long of course because they are tired and stuff..especially if it's a 2 a day practice.

SteelerDan43
07-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Well you can get them at regular practice as well but like Top Gun said not everyone stops, at the night practice its part of the deal. They usually do an autograph session where depending on the year they either stay in one place or they move along the fence signing, I wasn't around last year for the night practice so I am not sure if thats changed under Tomlin, but that was the procedure under Cowher. If you want someone specific thats your best bet

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2008, 01:01 AM
I cleared the schedule and got a baby sitter ready so if anyone is going to be up there either sunday or monday be sure to post up and I'll try and make it up there too for the day. I'll most likely leave real early in the morning depending on what day I go up and then come back home that night.

AZ_Steeler
07-28-2008, 01:09 AM
:bigthumb:

BR7
07-28-2008, 04:22 PM
I'll confirm once I know for sure. Thanks for the heads up about autographs.

steelersgal86
07-28-2008, 06:12 PM
We are trying to figure out when we are going but it might not be till the last weekend open to the public which is the 16 & 17th :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2008, 06:22 PM
If anybody comes back without pics, you're banned :lol:

I'm excited, it's been awhile since I've had the chance to go up for the day to camp.

steelersgal86
07-28-2008, 06:48 PM

I'm excited, it's been awhile since I've had the chance to go up for the day to camp.

My camera is ready....I was just looking at my pics from last year...I cannot wait :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-31-2008, 05:51 AM
AZ is flying out this morning; he's going to text me or call when he knows for sure what day he's going to be at camp. Nova I think is going up on sunday. BR7 Im not sure yet..Im going to try and go up sunday I think.

looks like we are going to have good weather this weekend for those heading up to training camp..

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Latrobe&state=PA&site=PBZ&textField1=40.3121&textField2=-79.3827&e=0

steelersgal86
08-01-2008, 09:15 PM
AZ is flying out this morning; he's going to text me or call when he knows for sure what day he's going to be at camp. Nova I think is going up on sunday. BR7 Im not sure yet..Im going to try and go up sunday I think.

looks like we are going to have good weather this weekend for those heading up to training camp..

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Latrobe&state=PA&site=PBZ&textField1=40.3121&textField2=-79.3827&e=0

we talked about going up this weekend and the 17th but i guess we are just waiting and going on the 17th:yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Looks like as of right now I'll be there sunday with my daughter. She's excited to see the players and stuff. There's still a chance I might go on Monday but Sunday is more likely at this point.

Too bad we won't see ya there this weekend SG :( but have a blast when you do go! :yesnod:

steelersgal86
08-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Looks like as of right now I'll be there sunday with my daughter. She's excited to see the players and stuff. There's still a chance I might go on Monday but Sunday is more likely at this point.

Too bad we won't see ya there this weekend SG :( but have a blast when you do go! :yesnod:

you do the same...I am sure you will :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Nova will be there so I'll try and hook up with him; not sure if BR7 is going to be able to make it up there this weekend or not. AZ is in Ohio as we speak and will be there at some point; still trying to coordinate that so we'll see what happens. Either way though we'll get some good pics and hopefully an autograph or 2.

My 13 yr old thinks it's Christmas morning or something; she about had a heart attack when I asked her if she wanted to come along..LOL

steelersgal86
08-02-2008, 07:03 AM
Nova will be there so I'll try and hook up with him; not sure if BR7 is going to be able to make it up there this weekend or not. AZ is in Ohio as we speak and will be there at some point; still trying to coordinate that so we'll see what happens. Either way though we'll get some good pics and hopefully an autograph or 2.

My 13 yr old thinks it's Christmas morning or something; she about had a heart attack when I asked her if she wanted to come along..LOL

How long does it take you to get there? We usually go down and come back in the same day...but we are staying this year...:greengrin:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-02-2008, 07:20 AM
About 3.5 hours to get to Pittsburgh from where we are so it will be alittle less than that to get to camp. It's a long day to drive there and come back in the same day but it's not too bad. I was going to stay overnight up there but at this point we'll probably just grab some dinner after camp is over and then head home more than likely.

steelersgal86
08-02-2008, 07:37 AM
About 3.5 hours to get to Pittsburgh from where we are so it will be alittle less than that to get to camp. It's a long day to drive there and come back in the same day but it's not too bad. I was going to stay overnight up there but at this point we'll probably just grab some dinner after camp is over and then head home more than likely.

Usually we do it all in one day also...but this year we want to go to the bus's resturant again so we will go there after camp and stay in a hotel in pittsburgh...only about a 2.5 hour drive...so not bad at all...:yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-02-2008, 07:58 AM
depending on how late we are there after the practice is over and if she's up for it maybe we'll make the drive into Pittsburgh so she can see Heinz Field and some of the sites there. she's got her own paper route now so maybe I'll make her pay for dinner :lol:

steelersgal86
08-02-2008, 08:02 AM
depending on how late we are there after the practice is over and if she's up for it maybe we'll make the drive into Pittsburgh so she can see Heinz Field and some of the sites there. she's got her own paper route now so maybe I'll make her pay for dinner :lol:

:lol: there you go....yeah if you go into pittsburgh you have to go to the Bus's resturant...it is awesome :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-02-2008, 08:23 AM
This will be her first time ever seeing the players up close so she's real excited. If they are still having the Steelers experience there then I'll definitely make her do that :lol: I'd love to go to the Bus' restaurant, hhmmm, depending on how the day goes maybe I'll surprise her and we'll go.

steelersgal86
08-02-2008, 08:27 AM
This will be her first time ever seeing the players up close so she's real excited. If they are still having the Steelers experience there then I'll definitely make her do that :lol: I'd love to go to the Bus' restaurant, hhmmm, depending on how the day goes maybe I'll surprise her and we'll go.

You have to go...it is a must...it would just top off the whole day and make it that much better...that place is sooo cool inside...just remember though when you are in the bathroom...you can see out..but the people standing outside that look like they are watching you, cant see in :eek1: if your up to it you can even try the 36 oz steak :yesnod:...we didnt get that but saw people that did and it is huge :lol: the food is really good...:yellowthumb:

Captcoolhand
08-02-2008, 03:29 PM

i took alot of pictures but for some reason alot of them came out looking like shiat. Also took some video but don't know how to up load those:dunno:

Captcoolhand
08-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Make sure you go in here
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/5691/trainingcamp011nq2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8620/trainingcamp009np0.jpg (http://imageshack.us) and check this outhttp://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7756/trainingcamp027vz7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)while you're there.

It shows you 4 different plays where you can be the announcer. 1 play was when FWP was running the longest run in the SuperBowl and you can act like you are the one calling the play. Plus they record it for you on a DVD for free......:cope:

Captcoolhand
08-02-2008, 04:15 PM
If you go to the tent next to the black truck in this picture,http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4259/trainingcamp152kf8.jpg (http://imageshack.us) you will find that you or friends can have you picture taken that will put you on the field like you are with the players. 1 was making you look like you guys are in the stands cheering to the camera.
1 was you by yourself holding the football for Jeff Reed while he kicks and 1 was like this one that my wife and I took together......http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/9690/26270ni6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

There was two others to choose from but I don't remember what they were.:banging:

Captcoolhand
08-02-2008, 04:25 PM
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6642/trainingcamp017mj9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

BlitzburghRockCity
08-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Great wallpaper :clap: :cope: