PDA

View Full Version : How many positions are up for grabs?

BlitzburghRockCity
06-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Training camp is coming up soon, finally :clap: what positions on the team should be realistically be up for grabs this year? Obviously nobody is going to unseat Ben, Hines, Heath Miller, Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, etc. but there are several areas on the team where new players or backups can make a serious push for starting time.

Timmons and Foote: Larry's position on the defense as a starter is in doubt this year because Timmons should push hard to take that job or atleast get significant playing time.

Nate vs Limas: If Sweed comes into camp and really makes a statement it's not impossible to think that he could take more playing time away from Washington so Nate better be on his A game and bring it this year.

Those are 2 obvious ones IMO but there are certainly others....

K Train
06-08-2008, 04:16 PM
nate vs sweed, foote vs timmons are obvious

hartwig still has to take mahans spot but i dont think theres much question there, both guard spots and RT are also up in the air.

FS, smith and clark

CB between deshea and bmac

thats about it lol, maybe FB and maybe 3rd TE? lol

steelcitysfinestXL
06-08-2008, 06:15 PM
3rd and fourth RB, between MeMo, Naj, Russell (assuming Mende is #2)

steelcityrockers
06-08-2008, 06:33 PM
MeMo makes the team. He is the best 3rd down guy we have right now and is also our best Returner. I think Dookie is definitely the odd man out. Russel will either make the team or make the Practice Squad.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Davenport will definitely have his work cut out for him but I think he'll make the team and Russel will end up being the odd man out at this point. They won't want to have zero NFL experience behind Willie & Rashard so Davenport because of his versatility should win that battle with Russel.

Smith & Clark should be a good one to watch. This is a pivotal year for Anthony; if he has a sub par year in 2008 his roster spot could be in question the following season.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-09-2008, 12:46 AM
Davenport will definitely have his work cut out for him but I think he'll make the team and Russel will end up being the odd man out at this point. They won't want to have zero NFL experience behind Willie & Rashard so Davenport because of his versatility should win that battle with Russel.

Smith & Clark should be a good one to watch. This is a pivotal year for Anthony; if he has a sub par year in 2008 his roster spot could be in question the following season.

I think Dookie gets flushed.......Moore is a vet and will be the 3rd down back...Plus he returns kicks.....Russell has added 10 pounds and has impressed these OTAs......I also wouldn't be shocked if the Steelers just keep four backs.....Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, and Davis....If they keep five then it will be Russell....Trade Dookie for a 7th round pick....:lol:

Clark will start at FS if healthy......Smith has the talent to be a good player.....I just hope he rebounds and has a strong camp...If so then he might be the starter at FS...I still think Smith is better suited for strong safety...If Mundy shows anything and make the team then Smith could move to SS...Then its bye bye Tyrone Carter....

The safety position for sure will be fun to watch during camp/pre-season.....

As for the other spots up for grabs....Train and Finest touched on all the other spot up for grabs.....I think Nate will start out as the 3rd WR...Since he knows the play-book...But if Sweed learns the play-book quickly and has a great camp then I could see Sweed taking that 3rd spot from Nate....Which with Sweeds talent that would be great....Its nothing against Nate, but he doesn't have Sweeds natural talent....Still having Nate as the 3rd or 4th WR gives us great depth...I see Dallas Baker making the team as the 5th WR....

I hope Timmons beats out Foote....But if not then Timmons will see a ton of playing time this season....I can see moving back and forth at ILB and OLB if he doesn't start....Plus Timmons will have his role in the sub packages on the D....

I hope McFadden beats out Townsed....I have been waiting for McFadden to do this for the last two years.....McFadden has the skills and all he needs is just to put it all together.....Plus its a contract year....

BlitzburghRockCity
06-09-2008, 01:52 AM
If there's any type of salary cap crunch then Davenport would definitely find himself in a tough position but I think he'd beat out Russel if they both show up and do well in camp. Moore has the 3rd down role on lock IMO and he's also our main return man so he's got his spot. Parker and Mendenhall have their spots of course so that's 4 there plus Davis as the FB so Im figuring they keep 5. Najeh makes the team because he can play backup FB in a pinch as well if Davis gets hurt and he's even returned kicks. It wouldn't surprise me either to see them keep 4 backs instead of 5 but with so little experience behind Parker I would imagine they might go with 5 this year. It's going to be a great battle to watch that's for sure, I can't wait to see all those guys fight it out in camp and in the preseason games!

Steel58
06-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Hartwig will take over the center position:cope:

steelcitysfinestXL
06-09-2008, 10:41 AM
I think its gonna be key to get B-Mac and Ant. Smith alot of playing time this year... these guys have been on the team for a few years and i really think its time to see what we have. B-Mac is in a contract year like said before and no matter what he does this season for us, someone will pay him starter money to play somewhere else. I'd like to see him take his spot as the starter this year!

BlitzburghRockCity
06-09-2008, 10:16 PM
This is a big year for McFadden and as much as I like Deshea being on this team I really think McFadden has to take that job from Townsend or atleast show enough improvement to get some playing time there and not just in situations where extra Defensive backs are needed. This being a contract year for him; if he doesn't play better than he has to this point he won't have a roster spot in 2009.

Steel58
06-11-2008, 08:18 AM
I'm going to say one of the guard positions