PDA

View Full Version : Reid to return punts!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-05-2006, 01:21 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_473547.html

Notebook:

By The Tribune-Review
Thursday, October 5, 2006

Willie Reid continues to wait. The rookie wide receiver said Wednesday he hasn't been given any indication what his status will be when the Steelers visit the Chargers. A dazzling return man at Florida State, Reid may get a chance to return punts Sunday night in San Diego. That has been a problem area for the Steelers, and Ricardo Colclough, who has been alternating on punt returns with rookie Santonio Holmes, is questionable with a neck problem. Colclough practiced yesterday, but said afterward the coaches want him to steer clear of contact -- at least until they find out more about his neck.
"I don't know what it is," Colclough said. "It's just something that started and kept bothering me."

Even if he plays against the Chargers, Colclough is questionable at best to return punts because of his well-documented struggles. Reid, who has been inactive for the Steelers' first three games, continues to say and do the right things. That is assuming he hasn't highlighted passages in the Steelers' media guide about his punt return exploits at Florida State and left it on coach Bill Cowher's desk.

"I've been anxious (to play) since Week 1," Reid said. "Right now, you go out there and work hard."

Sooner or later this kid has got to make it on the field so we can see what he can do !

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-05-2006, 01:24 AM
Hopefully sooner Reid and Holmes were supposed to be 2 of the best coming out of college last year, and IMHO this is where we are missing El the most...

Steelersfan
10-05-2006, 01:32 AM
The way the returns have gone this year I don't see how BC can continue to ignore Reid. He sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and is saying all the right things. It's now time for him to be able to show what he can do on the field!

BBG7
10-05-2006, 01:36 AM
Cowher seems to like what the kid has to offer, and with everything that has been going on, I couldn't see him not playing him...but who knows. I really don't know how I like that Willie doesn't even know yet. Maybe BC thinks keeping him in suspense is the best thing

BlitzburghRockCity
10-05-2006, 07:23 AM
If we're lucky, BC is playing his usual head games with the media so nobody gets tipped off before the game, and we'll see Willie in there sunday night.

AZ_Steeler
10-05-2006, 02:35 PM
I really think BC is playing his games like you said TG. I hope we see Reid returning punts this Sunday night, from the writeups and the records he broke at FSU, we could have ourselves a PrimeTime II :bigthumb:

Prosdo
10-05-2006, 02:44 PM
I am hoping he is back there. I want to see what this guy can do.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Ok this just getting stupid. Why did the Steelers spend a third round draft pick on this guy? For him to just sit on the bench and watch Colclough muff punts all year. If Cowher doesn't put Reid on punt returns soon then Bill Cowher is a complete tool. I totally understand that Reid only has proven it in the college ranks. But he was very good at a bigtime school. My memo to Bill Cowher wake up and play Willie Reid.

K Train
10-05-2006, 04:50 PM
He doesnt like returning punts....he LOVES it. If you love playing on special teams its because your good at it.

Friday133
10-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Cowher: Reid will return punts and kicks Sunday
Thursday, October 05, 2006

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Coach Bill Cowher said today that rookie Willie Reid will be active and return punts and kickoffs when the Steelers play at the San Diego Chargers Sunday night.

Also, Cowher said cornerback Ricardo Colclough will not play against the Chargers because of a neck injury that could sideline the former No. 2 pick for a longer period of time. The decision came after Colclough underwent tests this morning to determine the severity of his injury.

Colclough, who fumbled a punt in the fourth quarter of the Sept. 24 loss to Cincinnati, reported back from the bye weekend complaining of a problem in his neck. Nonetheless, he practiced in non-contact drills with the team Monday and Wednesday and even lifted weights.

Reid, a No. 3 draft pick who has not dressed for any of the first three games, will split the punt-return duties with rookie No. 1 Santonio Holmes, who will continue to handle punts near the goalline. Reid and Holmes will also be paired together on kick returns.

Post-Gazette (http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06278/727711-100.stm)

well it looks like coach cowher listened to us fans!

AZ_Steeler
10-05-2006, 05:11 PM
:toot:
:banana::jump1::banana:

:tt02: Best news I've heard all day!!!! :tt02:

SteelersfaninPhilly
10-05-2006, 05:31 PM
woohoo

K Train
10-05-2006, 05:34 PM
YAAAAAA!!!!!:bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-06-2006, 01:02 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06278/727711-66.stm

Thursday, October 05, 2006

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Coach Bill Cowher said today that rookie Willie Reid will be active and return punts and kickoffs when the Steelers play at the San Diego Chargers Sunday night.

Also, Cowher said cornerback Ricardo Colclough will not play against the Chargers because of a neck injury that could sideline the former No. 2 pick for a longer period of time. The decision came after Colclough underwent tests this morning to determine the severity of his injury.

Colclough, who fumbled a punt in the fourth quarter of the Sept. 24 loss to Cincinnati, reported back from the bye weekend complaining of a problem in his neck. Nonetheless, he practiced in non-contact drills with the team Monday and Wednesday and even lifted weights.

Reid, a No. 3 draft pick who has not dressed for any of the first three games, will split the punt-return duties with rookie No. 1 Santonio Holmes, who will continue to handle punts near the goalline. Reid and Holmes will also be paired together on kick returns

This is awesome !!! We finally get a chance to see Reid in action !! :tt02:

Steelersfan
10-06-2006, 01:05 AM
Didn't need any tests for me to decide Coc shouldn't be playing.....lol

And it's about time BC!!!!!

augustashark
10-06-2006, 01:06 AM
Can you say, It's about time!

Steelersfan
10-06-2006, 01:07 AM
Can you say, It's about time!

Yes, I did the post right above yours......lol :lol:

I know, we posted about the same time. Just messing with you shark.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-06-2006, 01:08 AM
Great minds think alike :lol:

augustashark
10-06-2006, 01:10 AM
Long day myfriends, long day.

You are right though TG, great minds do think alike.

Steelersfan
10-06-2006, 01:12 AM
:beer4:

I agree!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-06-2006, 01:15 AM
Here's the Tribune Review's story on it.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_473759.html

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, October 6, 2006

The worst-kept secret in Pittsburgh is no more.
Cornerback Ricardo Colclough, the scapegoat for the Steelers' 28-20 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals, is out as the team's No. 1 punt returner, coach Bill Cowher said yesterday.

And Colclough could be out for a lot longer.

Cowher said Colclough suffered a neck injury of undetermined origin and severity and will be sidelined indefinitely. Colclough, who was listed as questionable on the team's weekly injury report, missed practice yesterday to undergo testing.

That means Colclough will miss Sunday night's nationally televised game against the Chargers in San Diego.

It also means rookie wide receiver Willie Reid will make his pro debut returning punts and kickoffs.

"He's worked very hard," Cowher said of Reid, a third-round draft pick from Florida State who returned punts for 180 yards against Penn State in the 2006 Orange Bowl. "It's not always easy for young players to come in and sometimes have to accept a lesser role than what they had collegiately. This is his opportunity."

Cowher said Reid may also see action at wide receiver. He will be teamed with fellow rookie Santonio Holmes on kickoffs and punt returns.

"I'm very excited," said Reid, who received word of his promotion yesterday. "It's been a couple of weeks of waiting, being patient, working hard. Now it's going to pay off Sunday night."

Reid is an explosive punt returner. More important, he has good hands. He returned 10 punts for 88 yards without a fumble in the preseason. That makes him a superior option to Colclough, who returned four punts for a total of 6 yards this season.

By now, Colclough's story has been told so often it has become an unfortunate chapter in Steelers lore.

His muffed punt in the fourth quarter against Cincinnati led to a Bengals touchdown and raised questions as to why Cowher continued to use him as a punt returner despite his repeated struggles.

Reid promised that the Steelers' punt return woes are over.

"We have struggled catching punts. Hopefully, I'll be able to remedy everything," he said.

SteelCityMan786
10-06-2006, 01:16 AM
I can see willie reid taking at least one for a TD.

augustashark
10-06-2006, 01:16 AM
Gotta love that last quote, now go out and show us.

Steelersfan
10-06-2006, 01:17 AM
We shall soon find out! I'm just excited to see BC and the staff do something that should have been done already.
Does anyone know what this mysterious injury Coc has?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-06-2006, 01:23 AM
Gotta love that last quote, now go out and show us.

Yep, he's saying all the right things and being a team player, now it's time to step up and show us what you got !

Koopa
10-06-2006, 01:36 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06278/727711-66.stm

This is awesome !!! We finally get a chance to see Reid in action !! :tt02:

bout mothersuckin time....if reid sucks i'm calling for cowhers head lol

AZ_Steeler
10-06-2006, 03:06 AM
I think we have some threads that need to be merged ;)

Friday133 already posted the story in this thread: http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1390

Steelersfan
10-06-2006, 03:17 AM
Thought I already merged these two....lol It is done now.

AZ_Steeler
10-06-2006, 03:28 AM
An admin creating duplicate threads :nono: what kind of an example is that :lol: j/k kidding TG... I know I've done it :)

Steelersfan
10-06-2006, 03:29 AM
He's the :postpimp:!!!! He can't be bothered with seeing if something was posted already......:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

K Train
10-06-2006, 04:46 PM
I think we got the most consistent returner in the draft (not named reggie bush)

SteelCityMan786
10-07-2006, 06:31 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/69761/

Reid will return punts
Friday, October 6, 2006

Rookie Willie Reid will be returning punts on Sunday night against the Chargers as Ricardo Colclough is out with a neck injury.

Reid and Santonio Holmes, who will also be available to return punts, will also return kickoffs.

Colclough is having tests done on the neck because of a nerve problem, but it is not known when the injury was suffered.

"He doesn't remember any specific situation," said head coach Cowher. "It was something he had been feeling for about a week. He reported it when he came back on Monday. He was out there on yesterday. We let him run around, but stay away from any contact. He continued to feel it so we went through extensive testing today and will go through more tomorrow."

This will be the first game that Reid, a third-round draft pick from Florida State, will be active for a game.

"He is (excited), as he should be," said Cowher. "He has worked very hard. It's not easy for young players to come in and sometimes have to accept a lesser role than what they had in college. That's all part of the process. This is his opportunity and we'll go from there."

Reid found out about the promotion on Thursday and is looking forward to the opportunity.

"I'm very satisfied, very happy," said Reid. "It was a couple weeks of waiting, being patient and working hard. Hopefully, it will pay off Sunday night."

I like the confidence of Willie.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-07-2006, 07:17 PM
I know I posted this up somewhere in here before, now where the hell did it go :dunno: :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
10-07-2006, 07:24 PM
The post monster ate it.

SteelCityMan786
10-07-2006, 07:46 PM
If you find it Top Gun please lock this one or just merge it with that one.

AZ_Steeler
10-08-2006, 12:21 AM
Here is that thread you were looking for TG, it was merged with another because someone else had already posted the story http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1390

Koopa
10-08-2006, 12:56 AM
i can't wait to see reid......hopefully me hyping him up all season doesn't bit me in the ***....damn i can't wait for tomorrow....and we better ****ing win cause i don't feel like cutting my hair this early in the damn season

Steelersfan
10-08-2006, 01:17 AM
I merged them together and changed the title to reflect the topic better.

AZ_Steeler
10-08-2006, 01:21 AM
ah man! I wanted to create a thread too for this topic :lol: Third time is a charm, right? :lol:

Steelersfan
10-08-2006, 01:22 AM
I hope so.....lol

BlitzburghRockCity
10-08-2006, 02:29 AM
I merged them together and changed the title to reflect the topic better.

I knew I posted this up somewhere, no wonder I couldnt find it earlier :bluelol:

Steelersfan
10-08-2006, 03:13 AM
HAHAHA! Just trying to keep one topic here....lol

suitanim
10-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Now I'm wondering if the Chargers muff a punt this year, the refs will give them a "do over" like they did lat year?