Stlrs4Life
05-23-2008, 10:40 PM
Porter sounds off, says Patriots 'cheated'
ESPN.com

Updated: May 23, 2008, 5:38 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
An angry Joey Porter thinks the Patriots cheated their way to championships and the NFL's destruction of Spygate tapes suggested the league had something to hide after conducting its investigation.

"They [the Patriots] cheated, there should be an asterisk. They cheated and they got caught," the All-Pro linebacker, who spent eight seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers before joining Miami in free agency last season, said in an interview on "NFL Live."

"Why, if you have nothing to hide, would you destroy [the evidence]? That's how I've looked at it from the beginning. Why destroy something that doesn't have to be destroyed? Let everyone know what was on the tapes. Why would you destroy them so fast?"

The Spygate investigation began after the NFL confiscated tapes from a team employee who recorded the New York Jets' defensive signals in the 2007 season opener. Coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000; the team was fined $250,000 and forced to forfeit its 2008 first-round draft choice.

Porter called Belichick's fine a "slap on the wrist didn't fit the crime."

Since former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh met earlier this month with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to detail the team's illegal taping of opponents' coaching signals, Belichick has attempted to minimize Spygate's impact.

They [the Patriots] cheated, there should be an asterisk. They cheated and they got caught.
--Joey Porter

"They went from zero to 60 overnight and [Belichick] went from a good coach to a great great coach and he got caught cheating," Porter said on "NFL Live."

At a news conference on May 13, Goodell said: "I didn't accept Bill Belichick's explanation for what happened and I still don't to this day."

On May 16, Belichick told the CBS Evening News: "I made a mistake. I was wrong. I was wrong."

After meeting with Walsh, Goodell said of a further investigation: "I don't know where else I would turn, but I reserve the right to review new information if it comes up."

Walsh sent eight tapes to the league that show the Patriots recording the play-calling signals of five opponents in six games between 2000 and 2002, one of which was the 2002 AFC Championship Game that Porter's Steelers lost to New England 24-17.

"If you're to tell me that happened, there's no way I can look at it and feel like I didn't get cheated," Porter said.

Porter also said that NFL players he knows share similar sentiments about the Patriots concerning Spygate.

"Anybody I know that lost to them in big games, they're very upset about it," Porter said.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
05-23-2008, 10:53 PM
Damn i Miss Him!! He always tells it like it is..i'll never forget the Jeremy Stevens who do you want in an alley routine for Superbowl XL.Classic Peazy.

steelcityrockers
05-23-2008, 11:24 PM
I always like to have a loudmouth that can/could back it up. Anyway, the practicing of players on IR is definitely something not to be taken lightly. They won't charge them for it because Belichick will probably reveal everything else he knows about other teams which would be hell on P.R.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-24-2008, 12:39 AM
Hell yeah, tell em Joey !! Nothing like a good Joey Porter interview to stir the pot again.

SteelerFan87
05-24-2008, 12:54 AM
And guess what the response to this from Pats fans is? Typical Pats fan crap about "why would a guy who's team plays the Pats twice a year say this? Well, now you know the Pats are going to circle those games and say "Joey Porter is dead meat."
:lol:

I really would like to know how someone arrives at such a conclusion. I mean, when I hear "person A is mad at person B", I don't think anybody logically thinks "well then person B is going to punish person A for being mad at them". lol More like the other way around. IMO, Pats fans should be more worried about how everyone in the league has a burning hatred of them, rather than sitting there on their high horse talking about how they must punish people for daring to take offense to their actions. lol

Silverback 92
05-24-2008, 10:21 PM
There Has to be ALOT of players that feel like Joey , he just spoke up first... Good Job 55 !!

HUNT4SEVEN
05-25-2008, 02:39 AM
THANK U JOEY, FINALLY AN PLAYER WITH THE BALLS 2 CALL IT LIKE IT IS, **** THE CHEATERS, THEY SHOULD HAVE 2 GIVE BACK THERE 3 SUPERBOWL THROPIES

AZ_Steeler
05-25-2008, 01:27 PM
He does have a great point... why would they destroy the tapes so fast if there was nothing on them? Granted nothing can be done about it now but the astrick would be a step in the right direction.

PsychoWard
05-25-2008, 01:41 PM
hell yeah i miss having joey around he always tells it like it is he has no shame!!!

Hburg
05-27-2008, 12:42 AM
I agree with Joey Porter, and of course Joey is going to speak out on the issue when given the opportunity. I agree with a lot of his words.

BuFu

BlitzburghRockCity
05-27-2008, 01:05 AM
This whole thing was Goodell's best attempt to sweep this under the rug and just take the heat about it for a bit because he knew it would blow over. The NFL blew this one big time and everybody knows it.

Hburg
05-30-2008, 05:34 PM
.....and who comes up short? The fans of the 31 other teams in the NFL...all of which got screwed over by the many, many games that Belicheck cheated on (Who honestly thinks there were only 6 games the "genius" taped defensive play calling?).

BuFu