PDA

View Full Version : Guilty of sin

AZ_Steeler
10-04-2006, 09:33 PM
I can agree with a lot of what Mr. Robinson is saying! I feel the Super Bowl win has went to the Steelers heads... more than a little bit!

If you are interested in seeing who the sinners are for the rest of the sins click the link...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-sinners100406&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

They are the lessons of avoidance that are supposed to keep us on the path. Stay virtuous, live right and avoid the seven deadly sins: Lust, gluttony, greed, wrath, envy, pride and sloth.

Applied to the NFL landscape, they are merely seven vices that shape the league and fill the sports pages. And believe it or not, each year they shape the Super Bowl chase. So in honor of the vices that sort out the pretenders and contenders, we give you a list of teams that have committed sins that are bound to shape the postseason.

The sin: PRIDE (otherwise known as Vanity)
The sinner: Pittsburgh Steelers

Remember the blue collar, hard hat mentality that typified the Steelers? It's fading. If you haven't noticed, the Steelers spent the offseason loving themselves on multiple levels. There were the "we're-too-smart-for-our-own-good" personnel moves like failing to complete a trade for bruising back T.J. Duckett in favor of finding a short-yardage guy within the roster (the attempt failed). And lest we forget, at a time when every team in the league had red-flagged draft prospect Santonio Holmes, the Steelers tabbed him as the guy who would soften the loss of wide receiver Antwaan Randle El (it might take a few seasons).

But for real moments of vanity, you had to hear coach Bill Cowher's mocking comments of Cincinnati's "Who Dey" chant, or see Joey Porter's "I'm the biggest badass you ever met" sunglasses routine at the White House ceremony. And of course, there was Ben Roethlisberger's bulletproof biker mistake. Roethlisberger's accident and lack of work with his receiving corps in the offseason are costing Pittsburgh plenty. Not to mention the defense's consistent woofing during games, something that seems to have become an outgrowth of Porter's pre-game routine at the 50-yard line.

What made Pittsburgh great last season was that it stuck to its core run-first belief and developed a sense that it was an underappreciated team. Values that were supposed to stick after the Steelers made the mistake of integrating a pass-first mentality in 2002 and 2003. Cowher vowed to always remember the core values once Roethlisberger became the starter. And for two years, Pittsburgh made good on the promise. Now? The Steelers are 11th in the league in rushing and Roethlisberger has thrown 71 passes in his two starts (including an unthinkable end zone interception from first and goal on the Cincinnati 6-yard line). Hype, glitz and woofing won't deliver another Super Bowl. Core blue collar values and discipline will.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Personally, I think we deserved to live it up alittle. I mean this city hasn't had a super bowl championship for decades so I don't think the NFL world can just expect us to not enjoy ourselves and live the dream for a bit.

Between the parades, white house appearance, all the TV show and guest appearances, the celebrations, etc...it may seem like alot but you never know when you might get the chance again, no matter how hard you focus and play each week. Besides the fact that it was an emotional year with going on the road and winning the last 5 games in the regular season, then the 3 playoff games on the road, and everything with the Bus retiring. I think the players had to let loose.

Now it falls on BC and the coaches to get their heads clear. If a 1-2 start doesnt get you to focus, nothing will.

SteelerFan87
10-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Well, Ben was riding his motorcycle before this past offseason, so I don't think pride from winning the super bowl had anything to do with that.

The We Dey chant was ok too. As for the defense, what is he talking about? The defense has been great so far this year. As for Roethlisberger passing alot, that's what you have to do when you're losing. Willie Parker has been getting alot of carries, so what more does he want? 40 carries a game?

AZ_Steeler
10-04-2006, 09:42 PM
I'm all for the celebrations and guest appearances... I just feel the team may have been riding that high through training camp and then again after their first win against Miami.

Like you said though TG "If a 1-2 start doesnt get you to focus, nothing will."

:towelwave:

AZ_Steeler
10-04-2006, 09:45 PM
As for Roethlisberger passing alot, that's what you have to do when you're losing. Willie Parker has been getting alot of carries, so what more does he want? 40 carries a game?

The Steelers weren't losing the Jacksonville game, Cowher completely abandoned the run! Had he stuck to the Steelers roots Willie might have had a repeat SB run ;) But that is something we will never know though :dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-04-2006, 09:50 PM
Im sure there were some players who let it go to their heads in camp, thats inevitable but overall the team seemed to be focused on the task at hand but with all the injuries to players it definately didn't help the team gel in camp like we usually do.

Plus it's not like we never started out slow out of the gate before, we usually rebound pretty well..it's just this year the stakes are higher so we need to elevate our game now.

PITT23
10-04-2006, 09:56 PM
The NFL is known for its parity and having great teams og into a recession (possibly the Steelers, also the Patriots) and new teams coming up and dominating (Bengals, Jaguars) so us having down year or two or three isnt the biggest suprise.

However, we must also remember we've only played three games.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-04-2006, 10:51 PM
The pats still have the heart of a champion but they clearly don't have the horses like they did before to dominate every week.

we still have the horses we just don't have them lined up right yet.

House of Steel
10-04-2006, 10:55 PM
The pats still have the heart of a champion but they clearly don't have the horses like they did before to dominate every week.

we still have the horses we just don't have them lined up right yet.

Time to hire some jockeys and whip em in line damnit!!! :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

SteelerFan87
10-04-2006, 11:14 PM
Time to hire some jockeys and whip em in line damnit!!! :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

:iagree: :helmet:

floodcitygirl
10-05-2006, 12:12 AM
I'm not sure about the rest but living in Cincy I can tell you that Cowher's WE DEY chant has gotten me thru many a day! :tt02: I still personally use it every chance I get.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-05-2006, 12:25 AM
oh hell yeah, I love seeing the replays of Cowhers WE Dey chant in the locker room and also during the super bowl champions parade.

BBG7
10-05-2006, 01:05 AM
The locker room was great...but it also made more sense to me. In that stadium that's all you hear.
the parade shocked me though. Not going to say I didn't think it was great becuase I was dying laughing when I saw it, but it did take me by suprise.
WHO DEY????
WE STILL DEY!!!!!

Forged in Steel
10-05-2006, 01:09 AM
That was the first time the refs ever gave the Steelers a game. Like Joey Porter said the NFL wants to get Peyton Manning a championship. The Dallas Mavericks were cheated in the NBA Finals because the NBA wanted Dwayne Wade to get a championship also. :cursin:

Steelersfan
10-05-2006, 01:11 AM
Gave the Steelers a game? Which one are you talking about?

BBG7
10-05-2006, 01:12 AM
Gave the Steelers a game? Which one are you talking about?

I'm confused on this one too... :scratch:

Forged in Steel
10-05-2006, 01:14 AM
Aren't you talking about Super Bowl XL?

House of Steel
10-05-2006, 10:15 AM
OH, please, please don't go there. What the hell you saying the refs gave the Steelers the game???? WHO THE HELL ARE YOU KIDDING??? Someone here needs a slap in the puss.

Forged in Steel
10-05-2006, 01:37 PM
I'm just saying if people think the refs gave it to the Steelers thats no suprise since they have been cheated almost every game (Colts).

AZ_Steeler
10-05-2006, 01:42 PM
I'm sure the Steelers don't want any freebies, but regardless when you look at the tape there was nothing handed to the Steelers during the SB. All those calls were legitimate but the media types who were pulling for the Seahawks were the only ones crying about the calls and their big ball baby coach. Plus you can't deny the calls especially when the NFL acknowledged that the right calls were made on the field.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-05-2006, 03:32 PM
Hey I agree to a bit that the Super Bowl did go to some of the players heads. But this isn't the first time that happend to a team. I see the heart of a champion Pats comment came up in this thread. I agree the Pats do have a heart of a champion.

But remember when the Pats won their first Super Bowl in 2001 they missed the playoffs at 9-7 the next year. Alot of the players on the Pats confessed that the success did go to their heads and that played out during the 2002 season. Then the failure of not making the playoffs to even try to defend their Super Bowl titled motivated the Pats to comeback strong in 2003 and 2004. The rest is history. So the same thing could happen to our Steelers this year. We miss the playoffs then come back strong in 2007 even without Bill Cowher.

Hburg
10-06-2006, 01:22 AM
A couple of counter-points:

1) How is it that the bengals are allowed to create a chant directed straight at us in the form of a question, then run their own mouths about their greatness and dance around like clowns at the circus, but when the Steelers shut them up and then answer the question of "Who Dey?" wit "We Dey!" we are somehow out of line?

2) Joey Porter is the biggest badass you're ever gonna meet and if this man wants to take issue wit that to Joey's face I dare him to do so.

3) Ben made a mistake. He admitted it. He worked past it. He's young, it's gonna happen. When camps started in the summer he was healing from an accident. Regardless of accounts stating the lack of severity of the injuries....you simply don't play around with head wounds. They can be tricky and have multiple internal, unnoticable implications that don't show up until days/months/years after an accident. I challenge Mr. Robinson to run head-on into a Chrysler and then go play football, and play NFL caliber football, within three days/months.

4) You don't build a Steel Curtain by holdin a sewin circle, you need to have Fire!!

5) When the Steelers run they are called a one-sided team, when they pass they are accused of forsaking the run. Ben can't always throw to Ward, they needed a No. 2 receiver with assured high level talent. Another young man, another young mistake(s), that couldn't have been predicted before the draft. How's Lendale White doing?

6) Last year we were an unappreciated (and counted out) team. This year we are still an unappreciated (although right now deservedly) team.

7) Maddox never showed the intelligence and strength in two years that Ben did in two years. He was a step up from Kordell (::shudder:: ) and not near as capable to allow a heavier pass attack. I don't think the Steelers should become an all pass team, but there is no reason not to allow themselves the advantage to shake things up and keep the opponent guessing.

8) Hype and glitz won't get a team to a super bowl, but then why do analysts keep picking teams like the colts and bengals to win it all? If vanity and self-centerdness don't get you to the super bowl either, how the hell did Brady and TO get there?

9) If sin doesn't earn you success, how the f*ck did the ravens win a super bowl? What sin have they NOT committed?

BuFu