PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Misc News/Updates

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
05-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Notes, Quotes from yahoo.sports

• Rookie RB Rashard Mendenhall had his Rose Bowl watch stolen during the holdup on the lakefront street in Chicago two days after his first Steelers minicamp ended. Still, he felt fortunate.

“It’s cool,” Mendenhall said. “It wasn’t too bad. I’m safe. I was just hoping he wouldn’t pull the trigger. I was just trying to cooperate so he wouldn’t.”

• Mendenhall is none too happy with Illinois and coach Ron Zook for pulling his brother Walter’s scholarship.

“Yeah, they did not want him to return,” Rashard said. “He would have been a fifth-year senior but he is graduating from Illinois and then he will be at Illinois State getting his one-year Master’s.”

• The Steelers have just one officially retired number, but many are unofficially mothballed by not issuing them. Alan Faneca’s No. 66 won’t be one of them.

Although Faneca is the most decorated guard in team history with seven Pro Bowls, rookie tackle Tony Hills was issued No. 66. Faneca signed with the Jets as a UFA in March.

Quote To Note: “At the end of the day, Sweed is not going to change how Hines Ward plays. It doesn’t bother me who they bring in.”—Hines Ward on second-round draft choice Limas Sweed, a wide receiver.

Strategy And Personnel

Franchise Player: None

TRANSITION PLAYER: OT Max Starks (tendered at $6.895M; signed tender April 21).

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

• LB Marquis Cooper is a special teams player and possible developmental linebacker. Not a priority.

• RB Verron Haynes was re-signed late in the season after Willie Parker was hurt but likely won’t receive another offer from Pittsburgh.

• FB Dan Kreider’s role was diminished last year and then his ACL was torn. He’s working out and the Steelers might sign him if he gets no looks elsewhere.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS: None.

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS

• LB Arnold Harrison will receive a contract because he’s a good, young backup at a position that is thin and he also plays special teams.

PLAYERS ACQUIRED

• LB Keyaron Fox: UFA Chiefs; $645,000/1 yr, $40,000 SB; 2008 cap: $485,000.

• C Justin Hartwig: FA Panthers; $3.725M/2 yrs, $975,000 SB.

• RB Mewelde Moore: UFA Vikings; $4.95M/3 yrs, $1.35M SB.

PLAYERS RE-SIGNED

• DE Nick Eason: UFA’ 2 yrs, terms unknown.

• OT Trai Essex: RFA, $927,000/1 yr.

• LB Andre Frazier: Not tendered as RFA; 1 yr, terms unknown.

• G Chris Kemoeatu: RFA; $1.47M/1 yr.

• DE Travis Kirschke: Potential UFA; 2 yrs, terms unknown.

• OT Max Starks: TFA; $6.895M/1 yr.

• LS Greg Warren: RFA; $2.3M/3 yrs, $395,000 SB.

• WR Nate Washington: RFA; $1.47M/1 yr.

PLAYERS LOST

• G Alan Faneca: UFA Jets; $40M/5 yrs, $21M guaranteed.

• LB Clark Haggans: UFA Cardinals; $1.5M/1 yr, SB unknown.

• LB Cliff Kriewaldt (released/failed physical).

• CB/KR Allen Rossum (released).

• QB Brian St. Pierre: UFA Cardinals; 1 yr, terms unknown.

• TE Jerame Tuman (released).

• WR Cedrick Wilson (released).

www.sports.yahoo.com

it took Hines awhile to open up to Santonio too, i'm sure before long he'll take Sweed in and show him the right way to be a Pro.

ejsteeler
05-21-2008, 03:32 PM
They've already showed him working with him on the NFLN. Hines wll be fine and he will be instrmental in these younger guys careers. :yellowthumb:

Good update by the way. :yesnod:

K Train
05-21-2008, 03:59 PM
i heard fox has been ****ing awesome

BlitzburghRockCity
05-21-2008, 05:03 PM
FB Dan Kreider’s role was diminished last year and then his ACL was torn. He’s working out and the Steelers might sign him if he gets no looks elsewhere.

I'd really like to see him resign with us, he's such a bull and can catch the ball too. I'd like to see him and Carey David battle it out in camp and see who's left standing.

K Train
05-21-2008, 05:09 PM
and can catch the ball too.

:eyecrazy:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Are they ever going to Max signed to a long term deal...they knew this was going to happen. If he signed that deal why should give up all the cash for this year when he can potentially cash in big time again in 2009 whether it's with us or somebody else. They keep saying both sides want a long term deal but we haven't heard much out of either side in quite awhile.

Stlrs4Life
05-21-2008, 11:39 PM
I'd really like to see him resign with us, he's such a bull and can catch the ball too. I'd like to see him and Carey David battle it out in camp and see who's left standing.

Kreider would win hands down.

K Train
05-21-2008, 11:45 PM

he didnt last year...and he wouldnt this year because hes not what were looking for in a fullback

TEEMONT
05-22-2008, 12:34 AM

He was sweet 3-4 years ago, and exactly what we needed. But we don't really have room for a typical run blocking fullback in our backfield.

Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, Davis. Thats our back-field.

Steel58
05-22-2008, 08:47 AM
the receivers will be fine.