PDA

View Full Version : Punt returning proved problematic for '07 Steelers

SteelersWoman
05-18-2008, 04:38 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_568100.html

By Scott Brown (sbrown@tribweb.com)
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Steelers ranked near the bottom of the NFL last season in punt returns, making it the area of special teams in which they fared the worst in 2007 -- at least statistically.

They signed free agent Mewelde Moore to bolster their punt-return game, and the former Viking could be a significant upgrade over Allen Rossum.

Moore is Minnesota's career leader in punt-return average (10.5 yards), and he has twice returned punts for touchdowns. Rossum averaged 6.4 yards per punt return last season -- the Steelers' average of 6.1 yards ranked 30th out of 32 teams -- and the Steelers released him in February.
Coach Mike Tomlin said the Steelers aren't "ruling anybody out at this point" when it comes to returning kicks, and that includes third-year wide receiver Santonio Holmes.

Holmes had success returning punts as a rookie -- he averaged 10.2 yards per return in 2006 and returned a punt for a touchdown -- but he also had some issues with fumbling and played almost exclusively at wide receiver last season.

Tomlin has been reluctant to use Holmes, who also averaged 24.2 yards per kickoff return in 2006, as a returner because he wants the former first-round draft pick to concentrate on his primary position.
"I'll always be conscious of what I put on young guys' plates," Tomlin said. "That was my reasoning. It may or may not be my reasoning again this year. We'll see what happens."

This will be a serious upgrade over last year :greenbounce2:

All I keep thinkin is...We won the division last year even with some serious issues goin on (Sean Mayhan, for example)...so what will at least be capable of this season with some of the improvements that have been made?

I love the start of each new season with all the hopes and dreams that come with it :banana:

steelcityrockers
05-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Yah, we have had a good off-season. William Gay was a really good punt returner at Louisvlle too, making his not fielding any punts perplexing.

JensK
05-18-2008, 05:58 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_568100.html

By Scott Brown (sbrown@tribweb.com)
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, May 18, 2008

This will be a serious upgrade over last year :greenbounce2:

All I keep thinkin is...We won the division last year even with some serious issues goin on (Sean Mayhan, for example)...so what will at least be capable of this season with some of the improvements that have been made?

I love the start of each new season with all the hopes and dreams that come with it :banana:

Its hard to tell, seeing that espcecially the browns have been very active this offseason aswell. The Steelers did improve alot at some positions, and we did add alot of depth, but im still concerned about our o-line. Yes we did get mahan out on the bench, which is one hell of a improvement, but i still think that we needed to adress the o-line problem more than we did.

The browns is looking strong on the rooster, but we all know that the tend to fail no matter how hard they seem to improve. I believe that the real question is: Can the browns be consistant? If not, i think the steelers will have a pretty easy year winning the division. If they can, well its going to be one tough year!

Black@Gold Forever32
05-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Its hard to tell, seeing that espcecially the browns have been very active this offseason aswell. The Steelers did improve alot at some positions, and we did add alot of depth, but im still concerned about our o-line. Yes we did get mahan out on the bench, which is one hell of a improvement, but i still think that we needed to adress the o-line problem more than we did.

The browns is looking strong on the rooster, but we all know that the tend to fail no matter how hard they seem to improve. I believe that the real question is: Can the browns be consistant? If not, i think the steelers will have a pretty easy year winning the division. If they can, well its going to be one tough year!

A healthy Marvel Smith will do wonders for the OL as well.....So LT should be fine this year if Smith stays healthy all year....I expect Hartwig to start at center and Simmons to man one of the OG spots....The whole wild card to the OL is Willie Colon...Will he move to OG?

Colon might be a better fit at OG......If not then I expect Chris Kemoeatu to start at the other OG spot.....Then that would leave Colon to battle Max Starks again for the RT job....

I still have worries about the OL as well....But I do think this group will be better this year then last year...A healthy Smith and Mahan on the bench should help.....

Another point to make also...Last year Tomlin had guys on the OL switching all over the place learning other positions...I really don't think the OL had sufficient time to get into sync with each other early on...Then Smiths injury further put the OL out of sync...I hope this year the Tomlin names the five starters quick and let them get in rhythm with one another early on....

I also think the addition of Mendenhall will help the OL...

BlitzburghRockCity
05-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Not only was the punt return game problematic for this team, it was the entire ST unit...everything was out of sync, people were missing tackles, taking bad angles, not getting off blocks, not staying in their lanes and of course the return game. I like the addition of Moore to this team for not only returns but also yet another weapon for Ben.

Steel58
05-19-2008, 08:16 AM
with Moore back there receiving the punts/kick off returns this will be an upgrade over Rossum.

Steel58
05-19-2008, 02:04 PM
now that Rossum is gone the return game will improve.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
05-19-2008, 02:57 PM
This is where we miss Randle-El , you don't realize a player's worth sometimes until he's gone.

steelcityrockers
05-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Yeah, but that was his niche. He isn't really a great WR and was so grossly overpaid by the Skins...Does anyone at all know why William Gay wasn't allowed to return punts last year?

K Train
05-19-2008, 03:47 PM
honestly gay isnt all that fast, at least that was the knock on him. i like him gunning more than returning because hes a big hitter and a good tackler. MeMo is gonna be our returner next year, but damn i wish willie reid wouldve panned out, he was a nasty returner at FSU, i think he gets one more shot though

steelcityrockers
05-19-2008, 03:55 PM
See, Gay was pretty good at Louisville. At Punt Returning, you have to be more quick than fast, which he is. Yah Reid was an animal at Florida State. Sometimes it just dosen't work, though he always looks good during the pre-season.

K Train
05-19-2008, 04:07 PM
See, Gay was pretty good at Louisville. At Punt Returning, you have to be more quick than fast, which he is. Yah Reid was an animal at Florida State. Sometimes it just dosen't work, though he always looks good during the pre-season.

i didnt know gay returned kicks there, who knows maybe we'll give him a shot.

and you only here good things about reid during camp and the preseaosn on how great hes doing....i dunno, i havent quite given up on him since ive seen what he can do

SteelerDan43
05-20-2008, 09:29 PM
I think that struggles on special teams generally is a indicator of lack of depth, with the improvement of depth on the team I would conjure that you will see an improvement in ST as well.

TEEMONT
05-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Let Gay concentrate n becoming a play-maker on defense.

I don't want another Colclough.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-21-2008, 11:52 AM
I don't want Reid anywhere near the field in the return game unless we're up by 30 points with 5 minutes to go and the other team scores a cheapy TD and doesn't want to onside kick :lol:

Reid does show potential in camp and preseason but then he does a whole lot of nothing except getting hurt and underachieving. I'm really hoping Moore can be the answer for us this year.