PDA

View Full Version : The Pressure is on Big Ben

steelz091
05-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Hi all,

Nice forum.. I'm glad for be a new member of the Steelers Addicts community. This is good article that I think you all may be interested in

--

The Pressure is on Big Ben

The Pittsburgh Steelers must have been excited about the way their draft went. In the first round the Steelers had Rashard Mendenhall fall in their laps and likewise for Limas Sweed in the second round, the "tall" wide receiver from Texas. Rashard Mendenhall's running style has been compared to Barry Foster's, and Sweed has been compared to another wide receiver from Texas, Roy Williams. For the Pittsburgh Steelers sake, letís hope these rookies live up to their expectations.

The Steelers gave Ben Roethlisberger two additional weapons which gives the Steelers possibly the most dangerous and deepest offense in the NFL. Consider the weapons that Ben Roethlisberger now has at his disposal.

Wide Receivers
1. Hines Ward
2. Santonio Holmes
3. Limas Sweed
4. Nate Washington
5. Dallas Baker

Tight Ends
1. Heath Miller
2. Matt Spaeth

Running Backs
1. Willie Parker
2. Rashard Mendenhall
3. Gary Russel

Big Ben has been criticized over his decision making ability as well as his ability to process through his reads. Processing through his reads will on get more difficult with the addition of these weapons. I don't see defenses being able to match up very well, so they must pick their poison. It's on Big Ben, to find that poison and expose opposing defenses.

http://www.planetsteelers.com

BlitzburghRockCity
05-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Are you part of planetsteelers.com ? I lurk there periodically, a very cool site.

As far as the article goes, the weapons that Ben has at his disposal can be stacked up against any offense in the league at this point. We've got a pro bowl/super bowl winning QB, one of the best WR's in the game in Ward, Holmes has become a major weapon for Ben and is really blossoming into a special player. Now we add Sweed to that line up along with the potential of Nate W. and this passing game can be downright deadly.

Now finally we have that potential to have a legitimate 1-2 punch at RB that is only going to make us a stronger team especially in the 2nd half. There really is no excuse for this offense not to succeed.

steelz091
05-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Yes -- I agree

I think the Steelers are now deeper at the WR and RB position than any other on the team which is definitely a change in Steelers philosophy.

I just hope the OL and DL can hold up

HUNT4SEVEN
05-19-2008, 12:56 AM
Yes -- I agree

I think the Steelers are now deeper at the WR and RB position than any other on the team which is definitely a change in Steelers philosophy.

I just hope the OL and DL can hold up
don't 4get our special teams also:lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-19-2008, 05:58 AM
don't 4get our special teams also:lol:

They were rather forgettable last season though weren't they? :lol:

Really the pressure is on the entire team in general this coming this season; we've got so much talent on this roster on offense and defense; and we've taken measures to sure up the special teams so there's no excuse for this team not to excel this year. Arians has had some time under his belt now to learn about this group and how they react to game situations so hopefully he's learned some things as well; including Tomlin on preparing this team throughout the week, etc.

Steel58
05-19-2008, 08:13 AM
with the running game and the receiving the team has I can't wait to see this offense.:tt02:

Steel58
05-20-2008, 08:47 AM
It's about time they gave him a tall receiver.:cope:

K Train
05-20-2008, 02:33 PM
It's about time they gave him a tall receiver.:cope:

even though i love sweed this is retarded

BlitzburghRockCity
05-20-2008, 03:27 PM
This Sweed pick is going to be the steal of the 2nd round. He was a definite 1st round potential WR but with the run on lineman taken that really brought down the chances of more of them going in the 1st round. I can't wait to see what he can do for us. The more weapons for Ben the better.

Steel58
05-23-2008, 08:15 AM
Big Ben will be fine this year:cope:

Stairwayto7
05-23-2008, 03:20 PM
The only pressure will be from opposing defenses, if our O-line plays like last season.

mental.apparition
05-23-2008, 03:22 PM
It's hard to keep reminding yourself that Ben has only been in the league 4 years. Despite his success he still has a ton of room for improvement as the signal caller. And he will improve despite the pressure of being the Steelers QB.

I don't think adding extra weapons makes his progressions more difficult.

I don't think we can yet call Baker and Russell 'weapons'. Or even Sweed at this point.

Mendenhall on the other hand should produce immediately. :crossfingers: