PDA

View Full Version : Which veteran is in jeopardy?

BlitzburghRockCity
05-15-2008, 07:09 AM
So now with the new draft picks and Free Agents looking to get some playing time and make a statement which current Veteran(s) ,starter or backup, on the roster now is in jeopardy of losing their starting job or possibly even getting cut?

I think Foote is going to be in a big battle with Timmons so he's going to have to fight hard to keep his spot. Davenport will be fighting Mendenhall for the backup roll, which is a foregone conclusion as far as I'm concerned as long as he stays healthy. They will probably still use Davenport in the 3rd down back roll though.

Sweed and Washington will be fighting for that 3rd WR spot this year so that should be a fun battle to watch.

JensK
05-15-2008, 08:27 AM
Foote. No doub he is going to play games this year, but he'll have to make some darn big plays if he wants to be the starter.

Steel58
05-15-2008, 10:15 AM
I'm going to say Davenport, reason is because they can use Moore as the third down back.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------
once Limas gets the system down Nate will be sitting on the bench.

Iron City South
05-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Troy Polamalu - No way he stays on this team at his salary if he plays anything remotely close to how he played last year. We have 2 other above average Safeties that can play his position at 1/12th the cap hit.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-15-2008, 12:52 PM
This is a big year for Troy, he needs to get back to his old self and stay healthy. I don't know if Mundy will make the team yet but if he does it will be mainly for his ST play. I'd really like to see all the Safeties in a big battle this training camp and see who wants the job the most.

K Train
05-15-2008, 01:04 PM
from what ive heard timmons is in top notch shape and has been doing nothing but impressing in mini camp....hes really gonna push for footes spot this year

TampaSteelGirl
05-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Definately Davenport, he lost the #2 spot for sure! :yellowthumb:

ejsteeler
05-15-2008, 01:08 PM
I agree, I think Foote will have to step it up or be passed by the younger talent.
I think Troy will be fine this year, but I agree that if the problems linger, he will be on the bubble but they would be hard pressed to just drop him.

Iron City South
05-15-2008, 01:29 PM
from what ive heard timmons is in top notch shape and has been doing nothing but impressing in mini camp....hes really gonna push for footes spot this year

I read this too. I think Timmons finally has a fire in his belly; think's he has something to prove to people now which is good. I would think all the attention the new LB corps have been getting makes them all the more motivated to show they've got skills.

Prosdo
05-15-2008, 01:32 PM
I am going with Davenport. I think with all the young guys in the backfield he might be the odd one out.

K Train
05-15-2008, 02:05 PM
i really like davenport too, i think he could very well stay and play his role as a 3rd down guy. i kinda think memo might just be put on k/p returns

steelcityrockers
05-15-2008, 04:45 PM
I hat Davenport. He is now completely obslete with the additions of MeMo and Mendenhall, as well as the further development of Gary Russel.

portcityblackandgold
05-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Just based on Coach Tomlin's addressing the need to get more pressure on opposing QBs i'll say Foote too I think a rookie with an impressive camp is going to press anyone of the down three to compete for their spots.

steelcitysfinestXL
05-15-2008, 07:03 PM
I hat Davenport. He is now completely obslete with the additions of MeMo and Mendenhall, as well as the further development of Gary Russel.

:plus1: I like Dav alot but i think he is the odd man out. As good as reciever as he was MeMo is better. Mendenhall is prob a better powerback and Gary Russel is way cheaper and quite servicable as a 4th back.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-15-2008, 09:00 PM
i really like davenport too, i think he could very well stay and play his role as a 3rd down guy. i kinda think memo might just be put on k/p returns

I would imagine Davenport will have a place on this roster; he's a good 3rd down back, runs pretty tough and can even return kicks in a pinch. Moore will probably be mainly used in the return game like you said. I think Russel might be the odd man out at this point. He's going to really have to step up his efforts to secure a roster spot in an increasingly crowded backfield.

steelcityrockers
05-15-2008, 09:08 PM
MeMo can do everything Davenport does better. Dokie is too overpaid to be a 3rd/4th back.
MeMo is a better returner, a better receiver, a better pass blocker, and is simply a better back. He dosent have the same size, but he runs low and he is very quick and shifty.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Sorry Top Gun.....I don't see any competition for the backup RB position....Thats Rashard Mendenhall's.......I see Davenport competing for a spot with Gary Russell.....Plus this is if the Steelers keep five backs........

Parker, Mendenhall, Moore and Davis all have spots in my opinion....

I don't see Larry Foote being cut at either...Even if Timmons does beat him out.....There isn't any depth at ILB really....So Foote will make the roster....

BlitzburghRockCity
05-15-2008, 11:33 PM
Russel isn't really a 3rd down back like Davenport is so I'm thinking Najehs' main competition is between him and Moore with both of them making the team and Russel being the odd man out. Tomlin isn't going to want to go into the season with only have Parker as the lone veteran with any significant experience in the backfield; that's where Russell will find it tough to make the team IMO.

There's no way Foote gets cut either, regardless of who wins the job our experience at LB both inside and outside depthwise is nothing spectacular Foote will have a spot on this team guaranteed. I like him a lot, always have, he's going to give Timmons all he can handle and then some for the job.

With Limas Sweed now on the team this is going to help push Nate to get even better. He can't just sit back and watch that 3rd spot fall to him, he's going to have to work at it and that is going to make both of them better competitors on the field.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-15-2008, 11:44 PM
Russel isn't really a 3rd down back like Davenport is so I'm thinking Najehs' main competition is between him and Moore with both of them making the team and Russel being the odd man out. Tomlin isn't going to want to go into the season with only have Parker as the lone veteran with any significant experience in the backfield; that's where Russell will find it tough to make the team IMO.

There's no way Foote gets cut either, regardless of who wins the job our experience at LB both inside and outside depthwise is nothing spectacular Foote will have a spot on this team guaranteed. I like him a lot, always have, he's going to give Timmons all he can handle and then some for the job.

With Limas Sweed now on the team this is going to help push Nate to get even better. He can't just sit back and watch that 3rd spot fall to him, he's going to have to work at it and that is going to make both of them better competitors on the field.

Moore is a 3rd down back and also a vet......Sorry I see Dookie being gone....

MDSteel15
05-16-2008, 12:03 AM
This year: Dookie, Nate and Foote
Next year: Farrior and all O-lineman that don't impress!

K Train
05-16-2008, 12:07 AM
nate isnt in trouble at all, at worse hes the #4 and wards primary backup

Silverback 92
05-16-2008, 12:08 AM
foote

Captcoolhand
05-16-2008, 12:31 AM
all of them...oh let me go back and read the post:D