PDA

View Full Version : Parkers load is unlikely to lighten

BlitzburghRockCity
10-04-2006, 01:24 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_473373.html

By The Tribune-Review
Wednesday, October 4, 2006

Starting running back Willie Parker has carried the football 29 and 31 times in two of the Steelers' first three games. His workload could again be heavy Sunday. Reserve running back Najeh Davenport has a strained calf and has yet to play in the two games he has been active. If he is unable to suit up against the Chargers in San Diego -- Davenport is listed as questionable -- Duce Staley likely would take his spot. Staley has yet to dress for a game this season after playing sparingly in 2005. Coach Bill Cowher said he is not concerned with a high number of carries for Parker as much he is with the punishment the 5-10, 209-pounder absorbs in a game. There is not always a correlation between the two.
"A guy that is a pounding type of runner, there is more of a lingering effect down the road just because of his style of running," Cowher said. "Some games you can come out with 24, 25 carries but feel great because you really didn't have that many big hits.

"Sometimes you come out with 18, 19 carries and you're running between the tackles and it was a grind with three or four players hitting you. You can't just monitor based on carries."

Cowher got his start in coaching under Marty Schottenheimer in Cleveland. Former pupil and mentor match wits Sunday night, although Cowher downplayed how familiarity affects the way he and Schottenheimer will coach against one another.

"We've been apart for a few years now, 15 to be exact," said Cowher, who has been the Steelers' head coach since 1992. "The one thing you know about his football teams is they will play hard, they will be physical and they will be sound."

Hopefully Najeh's calf injury isn't serious and he can rehab and get a chance to play again soon. So basically we're left with Willie to get the bulk of the work, Verron to get the 3rd down stuff, and Duce to fill in. Verron has a case of fumbleitis since preseason,and Duce is rusty as all hell. UGH !!!

Steelersfan
10-04-2006, 01:58 AM
Staley dressed for the 1st game so they have that wrong.
I'm sorry but Parker has been taking some hits to get the yards he has. I'm not worried too much about him right now but I am at the end of the season. Last year he had Bettis take most of the short yardage hits while this year BC doesn't seem to want to use anyone but Willlie.

SteelerFan87
10-04-2006, 03:20 AM
I really hope to see Duce play, if he dresses, because the Chargers defense is very physical. We might need a big guy to trade blows with them and give Parker a break so he can come in and get some long runs.

Steelersfan
10-04-2006, 03:23 AM
If not that than at the very least to give us a change of pace guy to keep the D off balance.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-04-2006, 07:22 AM
Maybe this is just the motivation that Duce needs...he finally has the chance to maybe get some significant playing time so hopefully he takes full advantage of it.

floodcitygirl
10-04-2006, 07:37 AM
We can hope...but with the way he came in for the season...I don't know????

G89Newitt13
10-04-2006, 09:08 AM
we CAN hope..the change of pace should help us out against the physical D that the Chargers have

Friday133
10-04-2006, 09:48 AM
i just hope we don't beat ourselves. nothing is more depressing than the feeling after the bengals game.

floodcitygirl
10-04-2006, 10:42 AM
we CAN hope..the change of pace should help us out against the physical D that the Chargers haveBelieve me...I would love to see that happen. I have just heard so much negative about how unprepared physically that Duce was coming into preseason. Has he had enough time to be where he needs to be for this game? No doubt that we could use him.

AZ_Steeler
10-04-2006, 12:30 PM
I hope if the Chargers stuff the run right out of the gate that Cowher doesn't forget about running the ball and start passing. If you're trying to establish the pass with the run you all of sudden can't change your game plan and try and establish the run with the pass :nono:

Parkers carries to bother me... a lot! After Haynes put the ball on the ground last game I'm not to fond of him right now either. Hopefully Duce or Najeh get some playing time and one of them show us something! If Parker continues with the 25+ carries per game it will have an effect on him come December. Nobody can carry a load like that all season and say that nothing is wrong and it doesn't bother them... unless their contract is incentive based ;)

K Train
10-04-2006, 06:10 PM
I dont want duce to play, in the preseason he looked like he had nothing left. He go for 2 yards...bounce around in there pretending he could juke someone and them he would go down...not even falling forward...DOWN. Parker will do fine.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-04-2006, 06:18 PM
I think to much is being made about the amount of Willie Parker is going to get per game. Look at Tiki Barber he is a smaller back but has carried a big load for the Giants for years. I agree we need to find someone to spell Willie from time to time. But Willie Parker will be just fine if he has to carry 30 times against the Chargers and if he gets around 350 carries this year.