PDA

View Full Version : The "BOSS 34" will be back ...

Iron City South
05-13-2008, 11:49 AM
It goes by different names and numbers, but every team has a Boss 34 package. The tailback takes a handoff, follows his fullback to the strong side and, if the hole is jammed, cuts back weakside as the OL cuts down the D-line and the LB's are caught in the wash and can't make the play.

The "BOSS 34" has defined the Pittsburgh Steelers since the days of John Henry Johnson in the early 1960s to Franco Harris in the 70's ... then again to the more modern era of Jerome "the Bus" Bettis in the 90's and into the new millennium. Say what you will about JB, but he was a punishing style of runner. Just when an opposing defense thought our running attack may have stripped them of their dignity, JB would take the hand-off late in the game and punch them square in the mouth while crushing their rib-cage, and leave no question in thier minds that we did. :helmet: (see '05 snow game against Bears Brian Urlacher for directions on how this is done)

Folks, this is what I've missed about Steeler football since JB's departure a few years ago. This is also what I see Arians bringing back to Pittsburgh now that we have a back like Mendenhall. Without a doubt, Arians has "the heavy hammer" role in mind for MendenHUGE. :bang: Sure we will allow Willie a few touches here and there to tire the opposing defense (primarily in the 1st half), but make no mistake about it ...

The theory going forward will be a simple and trusted one: The defense will tire before the 227-pound MendenHUGE does. :yellowthumb:

This is why I'm absolutely stoked about this coming season. Can you imagine a "BOSS 34 POWER PACKAGE" with the Fighting Illini brothers (Davis/Mendenhall) in the backfield in the Red Zone?

Let's get it on already .... :helmet:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Wow, for once you made a post that most people can agree on :lol:

I look forward to the ability to not only throw in the redzone like we showed last year but also on goal to go situations inside the 5 to just line it up in a power set and see who's left standing. Last year we didn't have the ability to run near the end zone because teams would stack us up and our OL would get overwhelmed, stopping the play before it ever started. Thank goodness we had the ability to pass and do it well or we might not have scored anytime we sniffed the 5yd line. Now this year with 2 legitimate running backs we have the chance again to have a 2 headed monster and see who can stand up to who at the goal line. I am definitely excited.

ejsteeler
05-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Steeler fever is starting early this year folks!!!!!! :cope:

K Train
05-13-2008, 04:34 PM
um, i agree?

TEEMONT
05-13-2008, 05:10 PM
dammit....i agree

HUNT4SEVEN
05-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Steeler fever is starting early this year folks!!!!!! :cope:
man i can't wait untill the season starts:cope::tt02:

MDSteel15
05-14-2008, 12:51 AM
There must be a virus on here, agree with ICS?!?! :scratch: What is going on here? :stirpot: Nice post :banging: But I'm still not sold on Carey Davis in the backfield. Looks like StayPuff!

manofsteel
05-14-2008, 07:33 AM
Ever since the draft Ive been geekin out. I know penguins hockey can only hold my Pittsburgh sports deamon in check for so long until IM ready for some FOOTBALL>

Iron City South
05-14-2008, 03:52 PM
Nice post, But I'm still not sold on Carey Davis in the backfield. Looks like StayPuff!

Agreed, I dismissed his play last year as "youth" .... He gets no pass this year. Ultimately, I'd like to see Kimo lining up in the backfield with Mendenhall and throwing the lead block for him. :cabbagepatch:

K Train
05-14-2008, 03:53 PM
kemoeatu? really? you want him to run? lol

Stlrs4Life
05-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Sounds good to me. But don't even want Carey Davis on the team anymore, I hope he's the odd man out.

Mike Tomlin
05-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Sounds good to me. But don't even want Carey Davis on the team anymore, I hope he's the odd man out.

I like Davis, especially on special teams.

Steel58
05-15-2008, 09:18 AM
just give the ball to Mendenhall on the boss 34:cope:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-16-2008, 10:17 PM
kemoeatu? really? you want him to run? lol

It's not like he'd have to actually block anybody or worry about anybody tackling him when he's got the ball..all he has to do is just run over people :lol:

steelcityrockers
05-16-2008, 10:33 PM
He could be like a William Perry circa 1985.

SteelerFan87
05-24-2008, 12:03 AM
Sounds good. But who's going to be the fullback? The guy who is probably one of the top 3 blocking fullbacks in the league in Dan Kreider? Or the more versatile but less effective as a lead blocker, Carey Davis?

If it's Davis, why even bother? Dude can't cut it as a blocking fullback in a power running system. If you want to do that, go with the best. And that's Dan Kreider.

K Train
05-24-2008, 09:23 AM
mendenhall can run without a fullback, at least he did in college, willie just cant

TEEMONT
05-24-2008, 10:32 AM
mendenhall can run without a fullback, at least he did in college, willie just cant

willie did all year last year.

K Train
05-24-2008, 12:15 PM
then why does everyone say davis cant block if he wasnt blocking?

steelcityrockers
05-24-2008, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't say he can't block. He got a little better as the season went on. Still, there is a lot of room for improvement in every area of his game.

K Train
05-24-2008, 02:00 PM
blocking gets better with time and pay...it always has