PDA

View Full Version : Honestly, Dennis Dixon???

blinkbdj
05-09-2008, 02:23 AM
Ok when I first heard they drafted this guy I was just as stumped as most Steeler fans. I thought it was definitely a wasted pick. He was not the best player available at the time and sure as hell was not a position of need. However, over the past couple of weeks everyones talking about the Steelers amazing draft and saying "we got two amazing steals in Mendenhall and Sweed...plus the all-around athlete DENNIS DIXON!!!" :banging: wtf?

First of all, you guys realize that this years draft was not exactly one of great quarterbacks. Secondly, this guy WAS NOT even close to being in the Top 5 QB class. Hell he was lucky to be the 12th best quarterback in the draft. I know some of you are saying "oh well we're not drafting him to be QB, hes going to be used in the SLASH role." I mean seriously, some of you guys actually think hes going to step on the field and fool any opposing defenses? The only way its going to work is if he switches jerseys with Ben during the game and somehow make everyone believe he was a black dude. This guy is not Mike Vick or Vince Young. And him as WR a la Randle El? :lol: Please.

Anyways thats my pointless rant but the boards have been moving kind of slow as of late :stirpot:

SteelersWoman
05-09-2008, 03:06 AM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/dennis-dixon?id=748

After biding his time as the Oregon backup, Dennis Dixon was firmly entrenched as the Ducks' starter in 2007, when he gained national recognition as he returned Oregon to be ranked among the nation's elite.

But after lifting Oregon to a prominent BCS position, Dixon suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

Despite his injury, Dixon was named Pac-10 Conference Offensive Player of the Year. Until he was hurt, he was considered a favorite for the Heisman Trophy.

Dixon was named one of three finalists for both the Maxwell Award and the Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award in 2007. In addition, he was selected as one of 15 National Scholar-Athletes by The National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame and is a finalist for the Foundation's Draddy Trophy. Ever the team-first athlete, he rejoined the squad as a student assistant coach, mentoring his replacements at quarterback during the final weeks of his college career.

One of the most mobile passers to play at the university, few quarterbacks in school history displayed the explosiveness or versatility of Dixon. He demonstrated the physical gifts consistent with "special" players and possesses a great arm, erasing the misconception that his passing skills were marginal compared to his running ability.

Dixon had a string of pass attempts without an interception that began during his sophomore year snapped at 161 in the third game of 2006. He also showed his mobility, ranking third on the team with 98 carries for 442 yards (4.7-yard average) and two scores. He posted two solo tackles and generated 2,585 yards in total offense on 416 plays.

With his first season as a starter complete, Dixon returned a much different, more confident player in 2007. Prior to his injury, he led the Pac-10 in passing efficiency by completing 172-of-254 passes (67.7%) for 2,136 yards and 20 touchdowns with just four interceptions. He also was dangerous as a runner with 105 rushes for 583 yards (5.6-yard average) and nine touchdowns.

Analysis

Positives: Has a tall, lean frame with athletic muscle tone, minimal body fat (4.5%) and a frame that can carry at least another 15 pounds of bulk with no loss in quickness...Has a tight waist and hips, with good thickness in the legs and thighs...Demonstrates very good balance and body control driving back from center and his quickness needs to be accounted for by the defense when he runs with the ball, as he has the valid second gear to separate...More patient in the pocket, but will not hesitate to run with the ball, adding a dangerous weapon to the ground game (ranks second in school history in yards rushing by a quarterback)...

The team used the shotgun formation mostly, but Dixon has the quickness and athletic agility to move in the pocket and drive back from center to his throwing point...Best staying in the short area when throwing off the sprint, but can push the ball downfield on roll-out action when he steps into the throw...Quick and decisive, making good progression reads...Has worked on becoming more compact with his over-the-top delivery, showing a quicker release than he did in the past...

Efficient using a sidearm release on the move (can adjust his release to the situation) and has effective throwing mechanics...Steps into his throws better and his compact, natural release has greatly reduced turnover totals...Has the functional arm strength to make all the throws, but needs to be conscious of his footwork, as he must step into his long tosses in order to prevent the ball from spraying...Can fire the ball into tight areas and showed in 2007 that he can unleash the deep ball without having to wind up like he did in the past...Looks to have much better velocity and zip on the ball after refining his release point as a senior and it is now rare to see his targets having to adjust...

In the short area, Dixon's touch is evident, as he is doing a better job of setting his feet in order to have better accuracy...As evident by the 2007 Michigan and Stanford games, he now knows how to lay the ball out for the receiver to run under without having to make adjustments in the route...Knows when to take something off his short tosses and does a nice job of feathering the ball over the receiver's outside shoulder and away from the defender when attacking the deep zone...Steps into his throws better and has a more fluid finish (no longer pats the ball before throwing)...Even though he is still a very dangerous runner, he is more confident in his protection and will step up into the pocket or slide to avoid...

Teammates have confidence that he will make the right decisions as he is more likely to go through his progressions rather than try to force the ball to his primary target...With his quick, rhythm throws on the move, his backs and slot receivers have greatly benefited, as he shows much better vision in locating alternate targets...Shows strength on the run and the loose hips to elude...With his peripheral vision, he does a nice job of sensing backside pressure and is more alert to when he has to step up and out to avoid pressure and buy time to allow the play to develop...Has the valid foot speed to be dangerous on the move...Even though he could use more bulk and strength, he has the functional leg drive to break tackles and shows good body lean to fall forward for extra yardage...Especially effective throwing to his left on the roll out and has the straight-line speed, along with the elusiveness to take the ball to the house when running past the line of scrimmage.

Negatives: Needs to add more bulk to his frame in order to absorb punishment in the pocket at the professional level...Did not communicate well with the previous offensive coordinator, but the arrival of Chip Kelly as the team's new coordinator and quarterbacks coach saw the staff cater their game plan to Dixon's assets...Threw under duress frequently in the past and was too jittery in the pocket, but he learned to take time to make his reads and checks and will throw the ball away rather than try to create something out of nothing...Not known as a "gym rat" in the offseason training room and needs monitoring in order to do the little extras, but the new offensive coordinator had him more involved in the game planning than the past regime...

Can throw on the move, but must be alert to setting his feet and stepping into those throws, or it will affect his accuracy...When he throws across his body or off the wrong foot, his passes tend to spray, causing his targets to adjust off their routes...As a junior, he was always waiting for the "hook" from the coaching staff and lost confidence in his ability to read coverage and would force the ball too often, especially on deep routes (had five games with multiple interceptions)...In the past, he did not always follow through when throwing deep, as he had a bit of a long throwing arc...Under the old coordinator, he looked very skittish standing in the pocket and would bolt at the first sign of pressure...

Doctors anticipate he will need a minimum of six months to recover from December left knee anterior cruciate ligament reconstructive surgery, making it hard for teams to get a good evaluation on his recovery leading up to the April draft...

Compares To: WARREN MOON-Ex-Houston/Minnesota/Seattle/Kansas City...Like Moon, Dixon is emerging late in his career, having found the ideal tutor in offensive coordinator Chip Kelly. He is a dangerous scrambler who is showing much better patience in the pocket and better confidence in his ability. He is using his fine peripheral vision to make better checks and progression reads and no longer plays with an attitude that he has to make something spectacular happen on every play.

As long as he recovers well from his injury, I think he'll make a fine back-up when Charlie leaves (or gets injured). And it sure sounds as if his positives outweigh his negatives. Also, a fifth round pick might make for a fine value if he ends up playing well.

Of course as with any college player, you never know how they'll adjust to the big leauge.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-09-2008, 07:01 AM
Many teams had him going as high as the 2nd round had he not gotten injured. The guy is a multidimensional threat that can bring a lot to the table for an offense. They were saying on NFLN when the Steelers drafted him that he's got the potential to be an NFL starter assuming he recovers from his injury and gets back to his old self. I was suprised by the pick myself, I think most people were but if you sit back and look at it, the pick makes sense. I wish we'd have taken him a round later though because he'd have most likely been there.

ejsteeler
05-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Tom Brady, 'nuff said.:greengrin:

Hold On!!!!! Before someone starts going off on me, I am not saying he is a Tom B, only saying you never know.....

Mike Tomlin
05-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Hell I figure Charlie can't play forever and I think between Ben and Batch this guy will gain a lot of knowledge just by sitting behind them ,he's already a good athlete. By the time Batch is done he'll be healthy and and ready to go. So, why not get Batch's replacement now so he'll have time enough to groom him, it's not like he was a first day pick or something .

ejsteeler
05-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Hell I figure Charlie can't play forever and I think between Ben and Batch this guy will gain a lot of knowledge just by sitting behind them ,he's already a good athlete. By the time Batch is done he'll be healthy and and ready to go. So, why not get Batch's replacement now so he'll have time enough to groom him, it's not like he was a first day pick or something .

Well said.:yellowthumb:

JoeThomas
05-09-2008, 11:31 AM
hey, he could always be a great backup WR too haha. some teams only graded him out as one. though he said he wanted to play QB first. it wouldnt surprise me though if they tried to make him the next randle el.

guessy
05-09-2008, 12:57 PM
I like the pick...a guy that might be able to replace Batch in a year or 2 AND can help out in a "slash" role. The offense is looking good...lets hope the OL holds together this year.

Forged in Steel
05-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Tom Brady, 'nuff said.:greengrin:

Hold On!!!!! Before someone starts going off on me, I am not saying he is a Tom B, only saying you never know.....

The next cheater?

ejsteeler
05-09-2008, 01:56 PM
The next cheater?

:lol: :lol: :yellowthumb:

Not what I was thinking, but that was good.....

steelcityrockers
05-10-2008, 12:32 AM
What wrong with Dixon? Batch is old as hell and they have no backups behind him. I love this pick. I say, barring how well he heals, could be used like Seattle uses Seneca Wallace. Their top backup who occasionally comes in at WR.

K Train
05-10-2008, 12:41 AM
i hate the pick with andre woodson and colt brennan still on the board...especially woodson

blinkbdj
05-10-2008, 04:22 AM
i hate the pick with andre woodson and colt brennan still on the board...especially woodson

Yeah Andre Woodson would've been my choice there.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

The next cheater?

lmao :lol:
:clap:
:plus1:

JoeThomas
05-10-2008, 08:07 AM

id have to agree, in a pure QB sense, woodson was the better pick. but dixon has more upside, just not this year or probobly next.

steelcityrockers
05-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Woodson's throwing motion is so....weird. Dixon most definitely has more upside.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-10-2008, 12:07 PM
id have to agree, in a pure QB sense, woodson was the better pick. but dixon has more upside, just not this year or probobly next.

I wasn't crazy about the pick originally but they have the time to allow him to fully recover from the injury and learn while holding a clip board so yeah that's a benefit of having 2 solid QB's ahead of him; assuming he makes the team. Zabransky won't just roll over and hand it over but it's probably Dixon's job to lose at this point.

TEEMONT
05-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Woodson's throwing motion is so....weird. Dixon most definitely has more upside.

Yeah I hate guys who have a weird......throwing.....motion.

Great commentary.

Bernie Kosar threw the ball weird, he seemed to do alright. Plenty of QB's have had weird throwing motions and have gone on to have successful careers. I'm sure Woodson will work on his non eye-pleasing throwing motion for you.

I would have much rather had Woodson, I wouldn't be surprised if Dixon ends up playing baseball. I doubt a guy like him will be able to take riding the pine behind Ben for his entire career.

steelcityrockers
05-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Yah, but most people with a strange throwing motion are generally sucky (see: Young, Vince.)

What about Woodson is so great to you?

He is a really average QB who has already hit his ceiling, IMO. He also has poor footspeed and less than ideal pocket-awareness. He will never be anything than a #3 QB in the NFL. If you were looking for a backup, should have traded up for Booty (Which would also have allowed me to get a Booty jersey.) Woodson was a surefire Top-15 pick earlier this year. He fell...far, and not due to injury like Dixon. I guess you like him because he was a more acomplished QB in college?

Dixon didn't start until '06 I think (could be wrong.) He was just starting to realize his potential when he tore his ACL. The kid is an athletic phenom. He almost definitely would have been a Top-60 pick if he wasn't injured. He did play in a spread offense which dosen't immediately cross-over into the NFL unless you are the Colts or Patriots (who run the spread minus an athletic QB), but he has a year+ to learn behind an established vetean backup in Batch and a superstar with Roethlisberger.

TEEMONT
05-10-2008, 03:40 PM
nothing about neither of them really stand out to me.

Woodson did everything on his own at UK though. He didn't have a Jonathan Stewart in the backfield.

steelcityrockers
05-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Woodson did have two pretty solid receivers though (Keenan Burton and Steve Johnson)

TEEMONT
05-10-2008, 06:32 PM
it's not like Woodson would have been playing with slouches here.

HUNT4SEVEN
05-10-2008, 11:09 PM
I like the pick...a guy that might be able to replace Batch in a year or 2 AND can help out in a "slash" role. The offense is looking good...lets hope the OL holds together this year.
:ditto:i was :scratch:my head at first then i read this kids bio, i was like wow............this could turn out 2 be an very good pick 4 us.....

Iron City South
05-11-2008, 11:34 AM
I hated the pick and still do. However, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. If the injury is reaggrivated or is a problem in any way in the future which limits his ability ..... he won't be on anyone's roster.

Steelcody36
05-11-2008, 01:59 PM
blinkbdj obviously doesn't follow football very closely, or at least college football. Dixon was going to win the heisman and a national championship if not for his injury, I have no doubts about it, and I'm a buckeye fan. He was a star in college, and was the best athlete in the entire draft. I laugh at people who say it was a wasted pick, because they obviously never watched him play, yet they are down on him. Randel El shouldn't even be in the same paragraph as Dixon. He will have an impact on this team for years to come as long as he doesn't pull a Kordell and refuse to try other positions.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-11-2008, 02:21 PM
blinkbdj obviously doesn't follow football very closely, or at least college football. Dixon was going to win the heisman and a national championship if not for his injury, I have no doubts about it, and I'm a buckeye fan. He was a star in college, and was the best athlete in the entire draft. I laugh at people who say it was a wasted pick, because they obviously never watched him play, yet they are down on him. Randel El shouldn't even be in the same paragraph as Dixon. He will have an impact on this team for years to come as long as he doesn't pull a Kordell and refuse to try other positions.

Ok....The Heisman argument doesn't mean ****....:lol: Its clear you don't follow college football.......Look at how many Heisman winners didn't make it in the NFL....Andre Ware, Gino Torretta, Eric Crouch,Chris Weinke,Jason White,Ty Detmer, and Steve Spurrier.....Those QBs actually won the Heisman and were flops......They were not just in the running for the Heisman.....

As for the pick...I didn't like the pick...But this team does need to develop a backup QB.....Batch is getting old....Its only a 5th rounder so there is some value there.....I don't know if he will be Slash II.....Both him and the Steelers brass just want him to be a QB....But he might be out there in some crazy formations at times....

Steelcody36
05-11-2008, 05:20 PM
The heisman may mean nothing, but he is definately a freak of an athlete. We will see how he does for us, hopefully it turns out to be a great pick. I loved our first 2 picks, and definately the Dixon pick at that point in the draft.

blinkbdj
05-11-2008, 06:34 PM
(Dennis Dixon) was the best athlete in the entire draft.

:lol:
:bluelol:
:banana:

Steelcody36
05-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Who was then?

blinkbdj
05-11-2008, 07:46 PM
I'd put my money on McFadden

K Train
05-11-2008, 07:58 PM
lol...mcfadden wasnt even the best RB

blinkbdj
05-12-2008, 12:18 AM
lol...mcfadden wasnt even the best RB

Yeah man, Dixon was the best quarterback in the draft, Mendenhall was the best runningback, Tony Hills was the best tackle, Bruce Davis was the best DE turned OLB, Humpal was the best inside linebacker, and Mundy is definitely the best safety in any round. Back to reality, he said best athlete. Whether you agree with me or not, athletically, Dixon isn't as good as McFadden. McFadden is faster, quicker, stronger, more agile...I mean wtf. You're comparing a person who was at the top of the draft board to a 5th round pick that could've fell to the 6th round. Seriously people, Dennis Dixon is more athletic than anyone in the draft??? :hilarious:

Steelcody36
05-12-2008, 12:49 AM
If he wasn't hurt he would have been a lot higher in the draft, that's a fact. Besides, since when does when you get drafted mean anything about how good you are in the NFL? There were guys drafted in the 10th round back when the draft was longer who had great NFL careers, and there were first picks that sucked. You never know until they play.

DIESELMAN
05-12-2008, 01:36 AM
Besides, since when does when you get drafted mean anything about how good you are in the NFL? There were guys drafted in the 10th round back when the draft was longer who had great NFL careers, and there were first picks that sucked. You never know until they play.
:plus1: Hit the nail on the head right there. Time will tell how well Dixon will do in our organization. We got a 2 headed monster in our running game, our WR's have the potential to be a big factor in the outcome of every game. Dixon's athletic ability if used the right way, just might give defenses something else to worry about that they might not be able to account for.

steelcityrockers
05-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Yah, McFadden wasn't the best Athlete. His teammate Felix Jones was a better. I am one the least homeristic people I know, and I think that yes, Mendenhall was the best back.

blinkbdj
05-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Yah, McFadden wasn't the best Athlete. His teammate Felix Jones was a better. I am one the least homeristic people I know, and I think that yes, Mendenhall was the best back.

Jones was not a better back than McFadden. Though I would say Mendenhall is a better all-around back than Jones and could be better than McFadden. We'll just have to see...But yeah, whether you think Jones or McFadden is the best athlete is up for debate...but the best athlete in the entire draft certainly wasn't Dennis Dixon :bluelol:

SteelerSteve
05-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Jones was not a better back than McFadden. Though I would say Mendenhall is a better all-around back than Jones and could be better than McFadden. We'll just have to see...But yeah, whether you think Jones or McFadden is the best athlete is up for debate...but the best athlete in the entire draft certainly wasn't Dennis Dixon :bluelol:I'm not going to say that Dixon was for sure the very best athlete in the whole draft, but seriously do you think he shouldn't even be mentioned in that conversation????

steelcityrockers
05-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Jones was not a better back than McFadden. Though I would say Mendenhall is a better all-around back than Jones and could be better than McFadden. We'll just have to see...But yeah, whether you think Jones or McFadden is the best athlete is up for debate...but the best athlete in the entire draft certainly wasn't Dennis Dixon :bluelol:

You misread. I said Jones was a better ATHLETE than McFadden. Not a better back.

In October, Dixon may have been the best Athlete.

Steelcody36
05-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Anybody who laughs off my opinion that Dixon was the best athlete in the draft should be ashamed to post on a football board. The dude obviously deserves mention at the very least. Fast, mobile, strong arm, said to have good hands, a great all around athlete.

K Train
05-13-2008, 11:46 PM

we even talked about this like 2 weeks before the draft....i still say stewart but mendenhall was my #2, followed by jones, rice, forte, smith then mcfadden lol....as far as pro ready runningbacks are concerned anyway. mcfadden is fast no doubt but hes got some major flaws in his game and is a big name in a gimmicky system