PDA

View Full Version : Ike switching to RCB?

DIESELMAN
05-07-2008, 01:13 AM
Steelers defensive back Ike Taylor insists that it's no big deal -- a move that's less than meets the eye.

Taylor's switch from left cornerback to right cornerback in last year's playoff game against Jacksonville -- a position change that has continued through the Steelers' first organized team activity and recently completed minicamp -- is as dramatic as if Marvel Smith was switched from left tackle to right tackle.

Now try telling that to Taylor.
"You can't look too deep into it. We're not even in the season yet," Taylor said.

No, but a team plays the way that it practices.

Taylor has been the Steelers' starting left cornerback since the Super Bowl season in 2005. His move to right cornerback bears watching because it coincides with a league-wide trend featuring big-play receivers lining up opposite the right cornerback.

When asked about Taylor playing right cornerback in last year's playoff game, coach Mike Tomlin attempted to shrug it off.

"It was something for Jacksonville at that time," Tomlin said at the Senior Bowl in January. "Whether or not we continue to go down that road, that's something we'll determine."

Two weeks ago at the Steelers' organized team activity, Taylor was still at right cornerback.

Tomlin's response?

"We want to have flexibility where we play those guys wherever. Whether it's right or left, whether we match receivers. We're just giving ourselves flexibility."

For the record, Taylor, who started his NFL career on the right side, prefers left cornerback.

It appears that he'll play both corners, depending on the defensive package.

"Playing both sides, I'm just looking at being versatile, trying to better myself. It depends on what coach wants," Taylor said.

Tomlin wants what's best for his defense, which means playing his top cornerback where he can benefit the team most.

Taylor led the Steelers with three interceptions and 17 passes defensed in 2007. He finished second with 90 tackles. Considering that more teams are designing running plays to their left side, Taylor's position change makes more sense because of how well he forces the run.

Also stout against the pass, Taylor gave up two touchdown catches in man coverage last season. He set a team record against Jacksonville when he intercepted a pass in his third consecutive playoff game.

Playing right cornerback, Taylor will be matched against the league's elite wideouts. During the Steelers' minicamp, which concluded Sunday, Taylor was often matched against Santonio Holmes.

"Chad (Johnson) lines up a lot on the right side -- their left, our right," Taylor said. "There's Randy Moss. (Reggie) Wayne.
"We have matchups during the season. Depending on the formation, that's where they're going to put me."

By John Harris (jharris@tribweb.com)
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, May 5, 2008

Just getting a feel for how a player can adjust to moves like this will be a good thing down the road. Players who can adjust on the fly are a better asset to the team. Hopefully Ike's game will just keep gettin better. :yellowthumb:

Koopa
05-07-2008, 01:18 AM
that's horrible, he led our defense with 3 ints.......we really need some ball hawks lol

BlitzburghRockCity
05-07-2008, 06:07 AM
No biggie at this point, if they want to get Ike some work over on the right side just in case then that's all the better. If Ike thinks he can handle it then I'm sure he'll be fine.

Steel58
05-07-2008, 08:24 AM
I believe Ike will get the job done on the right side:helmet:

ejsteeler
05-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Ike will be fine. This is vintage Lebeau. All this does, and I would not be surprised if there was more of the same elsewhere on the D, is give the defense the ability to confuse offenses. Should be interesting to see how it works.
:tt02:

Iron City South
05-07-2008, 06:56 PM
It's no secret that Ike isn't the smartest tool in the shed (kind of like what Teemont is to SA) .... It always seems to take Ike much longer to learn and retain things. I don't like this experiment at all. I can see him getting burned with regularity if taken out of his comfort zone.

TEEMONT
05-07-2008, 07:42 PM
It's no secret that Ike isn't the smartest tool in the shed (kind of like what Teemont is to SA) .... It always seems to take Ike much longer to learn and retain things. I don't like this experiment at all. I can see him getting burned with regularity if taken out of his comfort zone.

uh oh.....someone is off her meds again, looks like my stalker is back....

BlitzburghRockCity
05-07-2008, 09:13 PM
If he's going to try this, it's better he starts feeling him out now when there's plenty of time in the offseason to see how's he's going to do then to try and throw this in during training camp and completely disrupt the secondary working together.

K Train
05-07-2008, 10:36 PM
this is a non story...love the offseason

ejsteeler
05-08-2008, 08:22 AM
If he's going to try this, it's better he starts feeling him out now when there's plenty of time in the offseason to see how's he's going to do then to try and throw this in during training camp and completely disrupt the secondary working together.

:ditto:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-10-2008, 03:59 PM
this is a non story...love the offseason

Any tidbit of player news makes local media headlines probably more in the offseason than in the regular season :lol:

Steel58
05-15-2008, 10:08 AM
will he still give up the long ball. Hell maybe he can hold onto an interception..

K Train
05-15-2008, 01:06 PM
dont give me that he will still give up the long ball, the only time ike gets beat deep is when troy ****s him by not playing safety like hes supposed to

steelcityrockers
05-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Yah, but he still can't catch.

steelcitysfinestXL
05-15-2008, 06:10 PM
dont give me that he will still give up the long ball, the only time ike gets beat deep is when troy ****s him by not playing safety like hes supposed to

Word, last time i remeber ike getting straight dissed deep was against Marv Harrison on MNF in indy. I mean come on, Peyton Manning to Marvin Harrison on play-action, Jesus might get beat on that one!

My only prob with ike is lack of a jam in the initial 5 yards. Other than that he is solid and this is a move that should have been done years ago!!! Ocho Cinco has done jack against us since ike has been shadowing him the last few seasons!! Thats what i care about. Be able to contain the best wideouts in our division.

K Train
05-15-2008, 06:14 PM
javon walker was the last one to straight up rape ike....that was a terrible game for him

Black@Gold Forever32
05-15-2008, 06:18 PM
javon walker was the last one to straight up rape ike....that was a terrible game for him

Yea that was a terrible game for Ike....Overall though Ike is solid and consistent....His hands stink but if Ike had hands then he would be a WR.....:lol: I have no problems with Ike...Ike also plays the run well...Might be the best corner in the league in playing the run....If not the best then one of the best.......

steelcitysfinestXL
05-15-2008, 06:19 PM
On fade passes, thats why i think ike needs to play tougher at the line of scrimmage!!! Those plays were in the redzone i believe and yes walker did bend him over twice!!!

K Train
05-15-2008, 06:34 PM
yeahhh lets have ike jam the **** of a a reciever so theres absolutely no one over the top, not even him....great idea

steelcitysfinestXL
05-15-2008, 06:49 PM
yeahhh lets have ike jam the shiat of a a reciever so theres absolutely no one over the top, not even him....great idea

lol, well im hoping for SOME safety help too!!! But really he plays a lil soft in the redzone. a Good example of solid play at the line of scrimmage was last years game against Seattle. He played tough agressive football at the line. When he plays off and looks in the back field is when he gets abused!

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
Ike has great size for a CB and pretty good strength, in short yardage-man coverage situations he should be givng little to no cushion and getting a hand on his man!

steelcityrockers
05-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Ike is probably one of the most underrated corners in the league. He has terrific cover skills. Oh, the Saints game in '06 was bad for him. Or was that the game he got benched? I cant remember. I do remember seeing Marques Colston catching everything though.

K Train
05-15-2008, 10:43 PM
lol, well im hoping for SOME safety help too!!! But really he plays a lil soft in the redzone. a Good example of solid play at the line of scrimmage was last years game against Seattle. He played tough agressive football at the line. When he plays off and looks in the back field is when he gets abused!

[AutoMerged Post Below]
Ike has great size for a CB and pretty good strength, in short yardage-man coverage situations he should be givng little to no cushion and getting a hand on his man!

ike does what hes told though, if you think he should jam the recievers all the time you dont understand a 34 defense

steelcitysfinestXL
05-16-2008, 03:34 PM
ike does what hes told though, if you think he should jam the recievers all the time you dont understand a 34 defense

Come on man, look at my post did i say all the time? No, i said in short yardage/redzone situations, when he is playing man coverage, getting a jam is critical. I understand football just fine!! i played for alot of years... i understand our secondary plays alot of zone packages for the most part... but ike is one of the FEW players who will get man-on-man assignments locked up with a #1 WR!!!