PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu returning to his old ways

BlitzburghRockCity
05-05-2008, 02:24 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08126/879193-66.stm

Monday, May 05, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Troy Polamalu won't practice until training camp, and he has returned to his California-based, non-traditional training methods this spring as he rehabilitates from knee surgery.

"I kind of went away from what I did previously," said Polamalu, who watched but did not practice in minicamp this weekend. "I'd been staying here the last two years and training here in Pittsburgh, other than going to California. I'm trying to spend a little more time out there with my trainer in California."

He worked for years with trainer Marv Marinovich in Orange County, Calif., and swore by his non-conformist style that disdained weights and machines in favor of medicine balls, wearing heavy shoes, a wobble board and other techniques.

"I have some of the stuff here, but you can't duplicate the facilities, the coaching that I have out there," Polamalu said. "So I'm trying to stay out there a little more."

Polamalu had surgery to clean out some loose tissue in his knee, but he said nothing could be done to repair the partially torn PCL in his knee that was "hanging on by a thread," but that it should heal on its own.

"The prize is what we need to do this fall," coach Mike Tomlin said. "He needs to prepare himself to do that and he's doing it."

This is hopefully just what the doctor ordered for Troy, getting back to what got you here and sticking with what works should hopefully help him out in a big way this year. Between the injuries last year and just not playing well I'm glad to see him getting back to his old ways of training and rehabbing. We need him to be back to the Troy of old; the one that is a sure tackler, can cover just about any WR, can blitz, cover the run, and most of all play smart.

DIESELMAN
05-05-2008, 05:18 AM
I wonder if Tomlin and the staff might have given Troy a "suggestion" to get back with the old ways? Hopefully Troy's head is out of his *** and he'll get back to the Troy of USC we are used to seeing making plays on a regular basis.

steelersgal86
05-05-2008, 06:22 AM
Wow, good news :crossfingers::crossfingers:

Steel58
05-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Good news! what ever makes him healthy for the up coming season let him do it his way:tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-05-2008, 10:02 AM
I wonder if Tomlin and the staff might have given Troy a "suggestion" to get back with the old ways? Hopefully Troy's head is out of his *** and he'll get back to the Troy of USC we are used to seeing making plays on a regular basis.

I'm sure they talked in their end of season meetings together about his rehab and what he's going to do to get back into shape and be the Troy we've all come to know and love, especially BG32 :lol:

BR7
05-05-2008, 10:51 AM
I can sense B@G32 just cracked a little smile... not a big smile, but a little one. :tt02:

Definately good news, to say the least.

TEEMONT
05-05-2008, 11:20 AM
please Troy....dont suck this year...

introyitrust
05-05-2008, 03:23 PM
I am confident that Troy will return to his old ways, no more over pursuiting and missing one-on-one tackles.
It's good to see him returning to his old preparations, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Koopa
05-05-2008, 04:12 PM
troy needs to get back on the juice to get back to his old ways

AZSteelerfan
05-05-2008, 05:35 PM
That is good news...hope to see him making plays all over the field again..

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm sure they talked in their end of season meetings together about his rehab and what he's going to do to get back into shape and be the Troy we've all come to know and love, especially BG32 :lol:

No.....Troy secretly joined SA under a hidden name and read all the junk that I and others have talked about him...Now he is motivated to make an *** out of me...Which is fine as long as he is making plays...You know like actually making an INT....:lol:

BlitzburghNation
05-05-2008, 08:30 PM
I've had all the faith in the world,before reading this thread,that TROY would be back too his :moon: kicking ways,,,,,,,,,, :bigthumb:

One thing we all can agree on,,,,,,,His motor never stops & he gives it his all on every single play ~~~:towelwave:

K Train
05-05-2008, 10:48 PM
yeah....sure

Iron City South
05-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Sad but true: We played better without Polamalu last year.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-05-2008, 11:22 PM
No.....Troy secretly joined SA under a hidden name and read all the junk that I and others have talked about him...Now he is motivated to make an *** out of me...Which is fine as long as he is making plays...You know like actually making an INT....:lol:

Hey you never know, I've seen some IP addresses that originate from the Steelers practice facility area and Heinz field :greengrin:

If he does step up his game then maybe you need to talk some **** on McFadden to get him to step up his game too this year. :lol:

DIESELMAN
05-06-2008, 01:14 AM
troy needs to get back on the juice to get back to his old ways
I don't put nothin past nobody. Me and BGF32 had this talk a few months ago, I was sayin the same thing, Troy doin roids at USC, all pumped up, then gets in the NFL, gets off the stuff so he doesn't get busted, well you see how he's been playin the past couple of years :greengrin:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-08-2008, 12:50 PM
I don't really think Troy has been on the juice ( although I don't know anymore than anyone else either way) ; he was flying around like a madman right up until last year and it went to hell in a handbasket when he started trying different training methods starting the offseason before 2007 and then went to total crap last year plus being hurt alot. I think he'll be back to his old self in 2008 and everybody will saying what a beast he is again :markit:

K Train
05-08-2008, 08:35 PM
do you know why hes been getting hurt? because hes been eating a ****ing carrot, rolling out of bed and claiming to be good enough to be the highest paid safety in the league. you cant be a pro football player with that kind of attitude, you get hurt when you dont lift or condition, **** i hate him we need to trade him while the piece of **** is still overrated by everyone lol.

he'll make the probowl again though...i mean hes still gonna look like a lion when he whiffs tackles lol

Iron City South
05-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Troy's best weight is around 210lbs. Trouble is .... with his small frame he has to get into the weight room and lift some iron to build and maintain 210 lbs. In college, he lifted ..... now that he made a few million, he claims "alternative" training is best. Sorry, gotta call BULL SHITT on ya Troy .....

If Troy comes into camp this year looking like an 140lb earthly purist who just walked in from his Zen garden after an hour of chanting amongst trees, I think we need to seriously think about trading him. I'm not kidding either .... His salary hit is a HUGE concern even if he is playing "average" ...

BlitzburghRockCity
05-08-2008, 09:44 PM
I can't imagine that the coaching staff didn't have some kind of talk with him at the end of the year about how he needs to get back to his old self. He missed more tackles last year alone then he probably missed in his entire career to date. He just seemed totally out of it in every sense of the word and took way to many bad angles. You could see he was really pushing himself and trying way too hard and it just made a bad situation even worse.

steelcityrockers
05-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Sans Polomalu the safeties COULD look like this.

SS
Anthony Smith
Tyrone Carter

FS
Ryan Clark (pending injury return status)
OR
Deshea Townsend

Either one would compliment Anthony Smith's stupid-crazy-somehow-almost-works-crappy guarentees-playing style well

guessy
05-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Hopefully Troy will be a MAJOR factor again this year!!!

Silverback 92
05-09-2008, 02:53 PM
what ever works for the guy

Preacher
05-09-2008, 04:52 PM
I have to wonder...

If Troy's problems are not as much troy, but the fact that we have him moving around SO much that we have actually ended up scheming him out of play too often.

Maybe if we restricted teh safety position some, let him blitz at times, but also make him play at the safety position... if we would see the old Troy coming back..

Oh yeah, and not facing 320 pound monsters on the all the time would help as well.

Mike Tomlin
05-09-2008, 06:30 PM
I have to wonder...

If Troy's problems are not as much troy, but the fact that we have him moving around SO much that we have actually ended up scheming him out of play too often.

Maybe if we restricted teh safety position some, let him blitz at times, but also make him play at the safety position... if we would see the old Troy coming back..

Oh yeah, and not facing 320 pound monsters on the all the time would help as well.

That is something to think about because most of his picks have been the midpoint between playing in the box and and the deep safety. he used to just get off the ground so fast it took the Qb by surprise. Now he's so close to the line they just swallow him up it's like he's playing linebacker or something.