PDA

View Full Version : Parker already taking Mendenhall under his wing

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
05-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Parker already taking Mendenhall under his wing
Friday, May 2, 2008
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

The Steelers introduced number one draft pick Rashard Mendenhall to the media on Friday, the first day of the teams mini-camp.

But well before the press conference Willie Parker met Mendenhall and he is looking forward to him joining the Steelers backfield.

Hes going to come in here and make me better and Ill make him better, said Parker. Im going to take him under my wing like anybody else. Hes a good running back and I hope for the best.

Hes going to push me and hes going to save me for the carries in the games. Either or, you pick it or choose it, its for the best.

Mendenhall spoke shortly after leaving the field after the teams first practice of mini-camp. For him it was a learning experience, one made much easier thanks to Parker and the rest of the running backs.

You are thinking and there are nerves and you have butterflies, thinking how am I going to pan out, said Mendenhall. To be out there and to be making cuts and catching the ball, I am starting to feel comfortable. This is what I do, to be out there and to be able to do it feels good.

I was kind of nervous coming in, but the running back room and Willie have been nothing but professional since Ive been here just trying to help me as much as they can. The better I do, the better they are going to do and we are going to be as a team.

Parker had the benefit of learning from Jerome Bettis when he came to the Steelers and now its his turn to become a mentor to a younger player.

Ive been in the league a little bit, so I definitely can teach him, said Parker. Thats what Ive been doing. I embraced him as soon as he came in, trying to teach him the ropes and stuff.

And what kind of lessons is Parker passing along to the young back?

How to be a professional, said Mendenhall. He has been here for a few years. He is showing me how to work, what to do, how to carry yourself as a professional and as a man.

Mendenhall is likely to get carries this season to give Parker a break, but there could be times when both of them are on the field at the same time.

You need weapons and if you have the weapons then it makes sense to use both of the running backs at the same time, said Mendenhall. I think that would be cool to be out there with Willie at the same time.

Its the first day of practice so as camp goes on I will begin to find my role and whether that is playing a lot or playing a little bit more of special teams, its just how things happen. Whatever they ask me to do, I am going to do. Like I said, the better he does the better I do and I am going to do whatever to make the team better. www.steelers.com

~ Man i can't wait to see these 2 in the same backfield! Is it Sept. Yet?:cope::cope::cope::cope:

SteelersWoman
05-03-2008, 02:01 AM
I saw Brian Baldinger at the Steelers mini camp on NFLN--he was doing an "insider" piece on us earlier tonight. He talked to Rashard, Willie, Hines, showed the weight room, etc. They all seemed to be gettin along just great! The whole thing didn't last long, but I enjoyed it :)

DIESELMAN
05-03-2008, 05:10 AM
Just shows how professional Willie is. :yellowthumb: He's got to know Rashard will be the feature back and do it better then he did. No knock on FWP but Rashard comes out of college with more upside then he did. Can't wait to see our back field and entire offense in action this year. :cope::cope:

Koopa
05-03-2008, 05:59 AM
when i read this last night, willie earned a lot of respect from me (not that my respect counts for anything lol), but he's being badass about this, hines bitched when we drafted holmes and reid saying he wasn't going to go out of his way to teach them, mainly cause he felt threatened, but willie here is going to mendenhall and teaching him......... i love it lol

ejsteeler
05-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Not taking anything away from Willie, but you are seeing the Bettis effect here. Good for Willie for passing on the same he received.

Iron City South
05-03-2008, 12:59 PM
You can already hear the fear in Parker's voice. He knows this guy will supplant him for the starting role in no time and Parker will be the one playing the role of "apprentice' and spelling Mendenhall.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Not taking anything away from Willie, but you are seeing the Bettis effect here. Good for Willie for passing on the same he received.

:iagree: Parker's career will be a better one regardless of how he finally ends up when it's all said and done; because Bettis was there for the first 2 years to teach and mentor him. This is going to be a great year for the Steeler offense. With all the weapons Ben has now and the 2 headed monster in the backfield this could be a Steeler offense for the ages if everyone stays healthy and things work out.

JensK
05-03-2008, 04:53 PM
You can already hear the fear in Parker's voice. He knows this guy will supplant him for the starting role in no time and Parker will be the one playing the role of "apprentice' and spelling Mendenhall.

Im sorry to say it, but i call BS.

Mendenhall may, or may not be better than parker, but he needs a one thing which he can't get from being good.. Experiance. Everything is harder in NFL, and Mendenhall have never ever tryed it before. You certain, that at least the two first seasons, Mendenhall will be learning ALOT from parker, just like parker did from Bettis.

Stlrs4Life
05-03-2008, 04:57 PM

Whatever. They will complement each other.

More on Willie and Rashad:

Parker 'surprised' sharing spot as Steelers open minicamp
May 2, 2008
CBSSports.com wire reports

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers can't afford to have the wheels come off Willie Parker again.

NFL teams rarely devote a first-round draft pick to a position of strength, but that is exactly what the Steelers did by choosing Rashard Mendenhall of Illinois with the No. 23 pick last weekend.

Suddenly, Willie Parker -- the NFL's leading rusher until breaking his right leg on Dec. 20 -- finds himself competing for every carry and every snap. The Steelers didn't draft Mendenhall to sit him, and that means Parker must share a ball that rarely wound up in any other Pittsburgh back's hands last season.

Parker and Mendenhall were on the field together for the first time Friday during the Steelers' mandatory three-day minicamp, and the Steelers' Pro Bowl running back acknowledged it was a bit of an adjustment sharing a position.

"I mean, I was a little surprised" when Mendenhall was drafted, Parker said.

Still, Parker said the move "might add some years to my career" and could prevent another late-season fade by the Steelers, who lost four of their final five last season.

The Steelers had almost no running game during their 31-29 wild-card playoff loss to Jacksonville, a situation that likely wouldn't have occurred if they had possessed a second capable running back.

Coach Mike Tomlin joked he planned to run Parker "until the wheels came off" and, when they did, the Steelers were one and done in the playoffs. Tomlin and director of football operations Kevin Colbert cited that in their decision to draft Mendenhall, who ran for 1,681 yards and 17 touchdowns at Illinois last season.

"Yeah, I understand," Parker said. "They felt like we didn't have no running backs when I went out. ... Now, let's go get better, man. I'm not trying to be average, I want to be the best and whatever makes me better, I'm all for it."

Parker, who wasn't drafted in 2004 yet has rushed for at least 1,202 yards in all three NFL seasons he has started, has had quite a workload for a player who got few carries in college at North Carolina.

He carried 337 times in 2006 and 321 last season, despite missing most of the final two games -- the fourth and fifth most single-season attempts, respectively, in franchise history.

With Mendenhall around, Parker probably won't get nearly as many carries, which might reduce his yardage, yet keep him fresher during a demanding season that includes games against the Jaguars, Giants, Colts, Patriots, Chargers, Cowboys and Browns.

"You're going to feel it ... when you touch the ball like I did last year," Parker said. "My body took a toll last year."

And not just because of the broken leg, which he said is fully healed.

Mendenhall, who was presented with a Steelers No. 1 jersey during a photo opportunity Friday but will wear No. 34, said Parker welcomed him immediately. It is somewhat like the situation in 2004, when established star Jerome Bettis helped then-rookie Parker get through his first season.

"Just how to be a professional," Mendenhall said when asked what Parker has shown him so far. "He's been here for a few years. How to work, what to do, how to carry yourself as a professional and as a man."

Not that the 20-year-old Mendenhall ever felt like he wouldn't fit in, despite falling to the Steelers after being projected in many of the countless mock drafts to go in the middle of the first round.

"I have a lot of confidence in myself," Mendenhall said. "I'm supposed to come in here and produce. That is what I am planning on doing."

Or what he couldn't do at Illinois, at least not early in his career. He went there to play alongside brother and fellow running back Walter Mendenhall, yet was a part-time player until he became the Big Ten offensive player of the year last season.

Mendenhall is disappointed that, since he left school, his older brother was effectively told he wasn't wanted back at Illinois and will transfer to Illinois State as a fifth-year senior.

"Yeah, it upset me but, to tell you the truth, the way things were there, it didn't surprise me too much," Rashard Mendenhall said. "They were just never in our favor there."
AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

BlitzburghNation
05-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Just shows how professional Willie is. :yellowthumb: He's got to know Rashard will be the feature back and do it better then he did. No knock on FWP but Rashard comes out of college with more upside then he did. Can't wait to see our back field and entire offense in action this year. :cope::cope:

:ditto:

FWP is a stand-up and unselfish kinda guy,,,,,,Hell that's what this TEAM is all about and that's how you win championships,Man I love this team
:tt02::tt02::helmet::tt02::tt02:

black an gold 4 life
05-04-2008, 01:27 PM
what it comes down 2 is this mendenhall has better vision, willie has better speed,2gether they will give defenses fits i like the way our back field will look this year...........:greenbounce2:

TEEMONT
05-04-2008, 03:20 PM

Willie is doing the right thing by not acting Hines-ish here. He is going to be the starter for at least the next two years. Mendenhall is the future, but Willie is still the starter and it's going to stay that way. You don't throw away a Pro-Bowl RB.

Iron City South
05-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Willie is doing the right thing by not acting Hines-ish here. He is going to be the starter for at least the next two years. Mendenhall is the future, but Willie is still the starter and it's going to stay that way. You don't throw away a Pro-Bowl RB.

Parker will be complimenting Mendenhall next year ..... mark it down! :yesnod:

In fact, if Parker's leg can't withstand the beating it will take this year .... Parker just may lose his job by the end of this season. :yesnod:

TEEMONT
05-05-2008, 12:16 AM

In fact, if Parker's leg can't withstand the beating it will take this year .... Parker just may lose his job by the end of this season. :yesnod:

and if Mendenhall's hammy can't withstand a mini-camp....well...just call him Timmons...

introyitrust
05-05-2008, 01:43 AM
I can't wait to see these guys play this year.
They are saying all the right things to the media, but you know that both of them want to be the man in the running game (as for Mendenhall I quote the recently retired Ric Flair "To be the man, you gotta beat the man") and that inner competition will only add to their work-ethic and in turn their production on the field. They have the potential to be the best 1-2 punch at RB in the league.
I trust that Mendenhall's hammy will be fine and that he won't miss a significant amount of camp/practices.

Steel58
05-05-2008, 09:55 AM
I can't wait to see these two in the same backfield together. I wonder what kind of plays Arians is going to put in...:tt02:

memphissteelergirl
05-05-2008, 11:05 AM

Put down the crack pipe and sloowly back away....

Glad to see Willie paying it forward...just like Bus did for him he's doing it for Mendenhall...looking forward to seeing them work together.

Iron City South
05-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Put down the crack pipe and sloowly back away....

Glad to see Willie paying it forward...just like Bus did for him he's doing it for Mendenhall...looking forward to seeing them work together.

Why is it so hard for some of you to accept the fact that Mendenhall comes from better pettigree; in essance, he's an "all around" better back than Parker. This is why Parker wasn't drafted in the 1st round and projected by many to be the best back in the draft like Mendenhall was. :yesnod:

steelcityrockers
05-05-2008, 10:27 PM
and if Mendenhall's hammy can't withstand a mini-camp....well...just call him Timmons...

Timmons hurt his groin. Mendenhall tweaked a hammy and Timmons pulled a groin. A little different in my non medically educated opinion.

Mendenhall will be #1a soon enough.

TEEMONT
05-05-2008, 11:57 PM
Why is it so hard for some of you to accept the fact that Mendenhall comes from better pettigree; in essance, he's an "all around" better back than Parker. This is why Parker wasn't drafted in the 1st round and projected by many to be the best back in the draft like Mendenhall was. :yesnod:

Well as far as PEDIGREE (I dunno what pettigree is) goes, it doesn't really matter.

Curtis Enis has great pedigree, Blair Thomas had great pedigree, Ricky Williams had great pedigree, Tim Worley had great pedigree, Rashaan Salaam had great pedigree, Lawerence Phillips had great pedigree, Ki-Jana Carter had great pedigree, Reggie Bush had great pedigree (is it too early to call him a bust?).....seeing any kind of trend?

I'm not saying Mendenhall wont be amazing, I'm just saying Willie already is amazing, and a Pro-Bowl RB. You don't need pedigree to be a great RB.

Willie is being a man about all of this and taking Mendenhall under his wing, Mendenhall is going to nothing but make Willie better, and more importantly, make the Steelers better.

Timmons hurt his groin. Mendenhall tweaked a hammy and Timmons pulled a groin. A little different in my non medically educated opinion.

Mendenhall will be #1a soon enough.

I wasn't saying they had the same injury, I'm just saying Willie is no more injury prone than Mendenhall. Willie had a freak injury last year, and all of a sudden people call his durability into question. **** how many games did the Bus miss in his career? No one ever called him injury-prone.

Willie is 1, Mendenhall is 1a, and it will stay that way for at least a year, maybe two.

Koopa
05-06-2008, 12:07 AM
I wasn't saying they had the same injury, I'm just saying Willie is no more injury prone than Mendenhall. Willie had a freak injury last year, and all of a sudden people call his durability into question. shiat how many games did the Bus miss in his career? No one ever called him injury-prone.

Willie is 1, Mendenhall is 1a, and it will stay that way for at least a year, maybe two.

yeah i don't get the whole willie is injury prone, dude missed one game his first year as a starter, played every game his second season as the starter, and then like you said had a freak injury this year.........it's retarded to say he's injury prone based on one bad injury........

Stlrs4Life
05-06-2008, 12:09 AM
Willie is far from injury prone.

Iron City South
05-06-2008, 12:47 AM
Nobody said you won't find exceptions Teemont, but you'll have a much easier time naming successful players who did come from 1st round pedigree over the past 10 years, than you will struggling to name a dozen that didn't pan out.

TEEMONT
05-06-2008, 12:50 AM
Nobody said you won't find exceptions Teemont, but you'll have a much easier time naming successful players who did come from 1st round pedigree over the past 10 years, than you will struggling to name a dozen that didn't pan out.

and you're basing Mendenhall's future success on his pedigree, which means nothing.

Willie is a Pro Bowl RB, with no so-called pedigree, who is getting the job done on the cheap.

Once again, I think Mendenhall will be a good RB in the next few years, eventually becoming the main attraction of our running game, but it's not going to happen overnight. It's Willie's spot to lose.

DIESELMAN
05-06-2008, 01:09 AM
:plus1: I've got a feeling that Willie will come out with something to prove this year and we all might be watching games in amazement. Add that to Mendenhall's upside......Look the **** out!!!!!

ejsteeler
05-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Couldn't have said it better DIESELMAN.....:yellowthumb:

I know what your saying ICS, but you have to remember that Willie is driven, much like Hines, by this kind of situation. Mendenhall is only going to make Willie better. He will have to wait in line to take over his position until Willie is ready to relinquish it.

steelcitysfinestXL
05-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Right on TEEMONT!! ICS, i'd understand if we were the Browns w/ lewis, or Even the Jags with Jones-Drew and Taylor... but parker is in the early half of his career. What you are saying sounds nice but really has no *** behind it. Parker is playing at a probowl level and it would be a mistalke to sit him in favor of Mendenhall before willie falls off

Iron City South
05-06-2008, 10:58 PM
ICS, Parker is playing at a probowl level and it would be a mistalke to sit him in favor of Mendenhall before willie falls off

MENDEN-HUGE will be the starter soon ...... write it down!

http://www.postgameheroes.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/mendyhuge.jpg

TEEMONT
05-07-2008, 12:13 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

ejsteeler
05-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Write it down?, that's it? Ok, nice talkng about it with you.

TEEMONT
05-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Write it down?, that's it? Ok, nice talkng about it with you.

it's par for the course....his best buddy is a guy who calls his writing's "the gospel"

Narcissism issues...

ejsteeler
05-07-2008, 11:13 AM
it's par for the course....his best buddy is a guy who calls his writing's "the gospel"

Narcissism issues...

:haha:

TampaSteelGirl
05-07-2008, 11:36 AM

I THINK YOU JUST LIKE TO START ARGUEMENTS AND KEEP THEM GOING. :nono:

You know what you're saying is crap so why say it? You know this guy is going to compliment Willie in the best way and you know he's going to make Willie a better RB and vice versa so why not just admit it..honesty is really the best policy, try it, it feels nice!! :yellowthumb:

ejsteeler
05-07-2008, 11:43 AM
:ditto: well said...

Iron City South
05-07-2008, 08:52 PM
I THINK YOU JUST LIKE TO START ARGUEMENTS AND KEEP THEM GOING. :nono:

You know what you're saying is crap so why say it? You know this guy is going to compliment Willie in the best way and you know he's going to make Willie a better RB and vice versa so why not just admit it..honesty is really the best policy, try it, it feels nice!! :yellowthumb:

TSG ... if it were "crap" I wouldn't waste my breath. See, in the midst of the "like-mindedness" and blind homerism that exists on this board, I represent the voice of reality and reason. I don't mind being the Lone Ranger in terms of providing pure unbias objectiveness. I don't need a posse of "peeps" to agree with me to feel comfortable delivering bad news. If you happen to agree with something I say, fine .... If you happen to disagree, well that's fine too. I'm not looking to create a following or follow a following.

While my love and loyalty to the Steelers willl always be prevalent, I don't allow it to get in the way of what I'm seeing on the field in terms of performance or within the team in terms of chemistry.

If there is a better way for the Steelers to be more productive, rest assured ..... I will find it and call it out; even if it means throwing a player under the bus for lack of performing. In my book when critiquing the Steelers, you're either part of the steamroller .... or part of the pavement.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BlitzSteel/rollerbanana.gif

If a player isn't producing on the field yet still benefits by being the recipient of a "halo-effect" (i.e., popularity alone).... I have no problem going against the grain of public sentiment and calling a spade a spade.

After all, it's the truth that shall set you free. :yellowthumb:

TEEMONT
05-07-2008, 09:02 PM
TSG ... if it were "crap" I wouldn't waste my breath. See, in the midst of the "like-mindedness" and blind homerism that exists on this board, I represent the voice of reality and reason. I don't mind being the Lone Ranger in terms of providing pure unbias objectiveness. I don't need a posse of "peeps" to agree with me to feel comfortable delivering bad news. If you happen to agree with something I say, fine .... If you happen to disagree, well that's fine too. I'm not looking to create a following or follow a following.

While my love and loyalty to the Steelers willl always be prevalent, I don't allow it to get in the way of what I'm seeing on the field in terms of performance or within the team in terms of chemistry.

If there is a better way for the Steelers to be more productive, rest assured ..... I will find it and call it out; even if it means throwing a player under the bus for lack of performing. In my book when critiquing the Steelers, you're either part of the steamroller .... or part of the pavement.

If a player isn't producing on the field yet still benefits by being the recipient of a "halo-effect" (i.e., popularity alone).... I have no problem going against the grain of public sentiment and calling a spade a spade.

wow...you must be flexible, b/c I have never seen anyone kiss their own *** like that before.

You're accusing people of being homers in this case, when it simply isn't so. I have been critical of several Steelers, fan favorites included (Ben and Troy), so in no way am I a blind homer.

Willie's production is at a pro-bowl level, so you saying he isn't producing on the field is not only unrealistic, it's retarded. Willie was leading the league in rushing at the time of his freak injury last year, with a terrible line that never gelled.

So it's not that people are being homers when they disagree with you, it's just that it's hard to agree with someone who makes stuff up. You make outrageous claims, like saying Willie is injury-prone, that makes no sense whatsoever. If he is then so is Ben, since he wrecked his bike.

JoeThomas
05-07-2008, 09:08 PM
mendenhall wont start unless parker gets hurt. the pick was for protection. and im not sure but did parker ever get a new contract? it could also be a way to let him go if he wants too much money. but im not sure. either way its an interesting situation. not bad having a 2 headed monster back there.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-07-2008, 10:17 PM
mendenhall wont start unless parker gets hurt. the pick was for protection. and im not sure but did parker ever get a new contract? it could also be a way to let him go if he wants too much money. but im not sure. either way its an interesting situation. not bad having a 2 headed monster back there.

Parker signed a new deal last year so he's getting his money. Tomlin knows we need to have 2 solid backs that can carry the load consistently in the event one goes down with injury and just in general so we don't wear out one or the other. Last year Davenport didn't get near enough touches during the season and then when we needed him the most late in December and the playoffs we just couldn't get it done. The bad play of the OL certainly didn't help matters either but regardless when a team wants to run the ball effectively you have to have 2 good backs and Mendenhall was a no brainer at #23.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-07-2008, 10:30 PM

It wasn't a protection pick.....There is noway the Steelers could have continued to give Parker 300 carries a season...He isn't built like that...He needs 250 carries tops....So Mendenhall was drafted to help shoulder the load and to improve the Steelers running game period...It was good with Parker but it has the potential to be elite once again....Plus Mendenhall was the top talent left at 23...Noway the Steelers could pass on that value....So it was best available pick period......Thats the best way to draft...

steelcityrockers
05-07-2008, 10:35 PM

I think there are a few more reasonable fans on here as well (myself-despite my lack of time on this board, Lyn, the Brown's fans, MAYBE more.)

I agree that Mendenhall is the better back by far. I really like Willie, but to have him as a 12 carries a game complimentary back would be terrific.

TEEMONT
05-07-2008, 10:40 PM
It wasn't a protection pick.....There is noway the Steelers could have continued to give Parker 300 carries a season...He isn't built like that...He needs 250 carries tops....So Mendenhall was drafted to help shoulder the load and to improve the Steelers running game period...It was good with Parker but it has the potential to be elite once again....Plus Mendenhall was the top talent left at 23...Noway the Steelers could pass on that value....So it was best available pick period......Thats the best way to draft...

no no...not having a pick until the 4th round is the best way to draft....that way you cant pick a tim couch

steelcityrockers
05-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Or a Troy Edwards and so on and so forth.

The Browns had a great draft. They traded their 2nd and 3rd rounders for good established players.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-07-2008, 10:56 PM
I think there are a few more reasonable fans on here as well (myself-despite my lack of time on this board, Lyn, the Brown's fans, MAYBE more.)

I agree that Mendenhall is the better back by far. I really like Willie, but to have him as a 12 carries a game complimentary back would be terrific.

Ha....that list of reasonable fans is a joke......There is plenty of reasonable and knowledgeable fans on this site....I don't buy into the blind homerism that goes on at this site and other Steelers sites at times...I have called out Troy many times...Long before it was popular to do so.....I actually started it.....:lol: I'll knock the Steelers when I see fit and I'll defend when I see fit...I suggest you get to know me and some of the the others better before assuming things....:yellowthumb:

steelcityrockers
05-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Sorry bro, I was just going off some recent threads. There is A LOT of crazy blind homerism though. I did say MAYBE more, so uh, I guess there is.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-07-2008, 11:08 PM

The Browns had a great draft. They traded their 2nd and 3rd rounders for good established players.

Ok.........Is Shaun Rogers really a good and established player? He has been unmotivated and inconsistent at times in his career....Plus his strong suit isn't playing the run...You know what the plan is to play him at DE...The Browns base defense is a 3-4....I don't think Rogers fits the 3-4 at all.....He can rush the passer when he wants to...

As for Corey Williams....His run defense is questionable and his strength is also rushing the passer...The plan is also to play DE....Again I don't think he fits the 3-4.......

I lurk at a Browns site from time to time and read an article that both Rogers and Williams will start out playing DE so I'm not making this up...

However though I don't blame the Browns for doing what they did to acquire these two.....They finally had some success last year and they saw an opportunity to get over the hump this year.....Your window can close fast in the NFL so I give them credit for taking the risk...But in the long run it will hurt their team..Some of their young skilled players will become free agents and will want huge contracts....They shelled out some serious dough for both Williams and Rogers....Plus if Anderson or Quinn prove to be the man then they will want a bigger contract....There could be potential cap hell in Cleveland...

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
quote=steelcityrockers;204808]Sorry bro, I was just going off some recent threads. There is A LOT of crazy blind homerism though. I did say MAYBE more, so uh, I guess there is.[/quote]

No problem man...I'm not mad and just trying to inform that there is some cool fans on this site...I actually enjoy your posts...even when I disagree with you.....:yellowthumb: I really only have problems when people act like the messiah of the NFL or the Steelers ....We have some of them that post on here at times....

TEEMONT
05-07-2008, 11:17 PM

And their first round for a 2nd string QB...

Shaun Rodgers is anything but established, and the only way he would have had any success against the Steelers, was if Mahan had still been starting.

Iron City South
05-07-2008, 11:30 PM

This my friends is a man of logic and reality. :plus1:

Way too many people are far to busy washing Parker's balls on this board because they're enamored by his perennial "underdog" reputation and stats from 1 or 2 good seasons.

Parker will be a good complimentary back to someone who will be the all around "real deal" .... :yellowthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-07-2008, 11:38 PM

Way too many people are far to busy washing Parker's balls on this board because they're enamored by his perennial "underdog" reputation and stats from 1 or 2 good seasons.

Parker will be a good complimentary back to someone who will be the all around "real deal" .... :yellowthumb:

So since I support Willie Parker then I'm washing his balls?:lol: I agree that Rashard Mendenhall potentially is a better all around RB.....I also agree with the pick.....Now all I'm saying its not a sure thing that Mendenhall is the real deal...I think he is but dude you know first round talents can bust.....I'm not saying he will...So don't try to turn this into something that it is not....I'm just a realist and until Rashard Mendenhall proves himself then there will be some doubt.....Again I like Mendenhall and think he will be a very good player....:yellowthumb:

TEEMONT
05-07-2008, 11:42 PM

And your too busy sucking off anyone who agrees with your delusional ideas.

Parker has only had 3 years as a starter, and well, 3 pretty good years (all over 1200 yards)

This year he will only get better, since the "wheels won't be coming off" so to speak. Mendenhall is going to be a great COMPLIMENT to him for 1, 2, even 3 years, and he will eventually take over the starting role, but only after Willie wants too much money.

Willie could be an underdog and suck, and I would say he sucked. The fact of the matter (not the opinion which you are full of) is that Willie is a two time Pro-Bowler, that counts for something, whethe ryou want to admit it or not.

JoeThomas
05-08-2008, 12:09 AM
And your too busy sucking off anyone who agrees with your delusional ideas.

Parker has only had 3 years as a starter, and well, 3 pretty good years (all over 1200 yards)

This year he will only get better, since the "wheels won't be coming off" so to speak. Mendenhall is going to be a great COMPLIMENT to him for 1, 2, even 3 years, and he will eventually take over the starting role, but only after Willie wants too much money.

Willie could be an underdog and suck, and I would say he sucked. The fact of the matter (not the opinion which you are full of) is that Willie is a two time Pro-Bowler, that counts for something, whethe ryou want to admit it or not.

Hey Teemont, now I see why no one likes you. I compliment your teams pick and you attack something no one brought up. Rogers is a former Pro Bowler and Williams was good enough to be FRANCHISED by the Packers. So that tells me they are solid players. I mean did you guys draft a pro bowler in the 3rd round? So we got a backup QB with our 1st round pick. You guys got a backup RB with yours...

TEEMONT
05-08-2008, 12:22 AM
Hey Teemont, now I see why no one likes you. I compliment your teams pick and you attack something no one brought up. Rogers is a former Pro Bowler and Williams was good enough to be FRANCHISED by the Packers. So that tells me they are solid players. I mean did you guys draft a pro bowler in the 3rd round? So we got a backup QB with our 1st round pick. You guys got a backup RB with yours...

If you consider me talking **** on tim couch an attack, then you need to take the tampon out of your bloody ***.

The browns leased their future for a year or two of two guys who can't really play the run that well. I'm sorry I don't agree with the browns draft, I don't think it was good, and most NFL "experts" seem to agree.

Besides, if my life was so pitiful that I needed people on a message board, most of whom I won't meet in real life, to like me........well, I'd be you. Besides, those I have met, have wanted to hang out again. So once again...tell me how great you are...it's 11:18 EST you're at home, not at work, and you're on a steelers site......you're b/f not home yet?

As I said before...Mendenhall probably won't be a true back-up. Willie is 1, mendenhall is 1a. Mendenhall is going to be a beast, no doubt, but Willie is still the starter. Get used to your team getting torn up by both of them

Iron City South
05-08-2008, 12:26 AM
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z212/RayBanJockey/nfl_a_parkermendenhall_580.jpg

"Brother Rashard, .... check this out, I'll pay you half of my salary this year to let me keep my starting job! .... Deal?"

:hilarious::lol::hilarious::lol:

TEEMONT
05-08-2008, 12:30 AM
Mendenhall is ****in huge....but Willie knows he is the man.

DIESELMAN
05-08-2008, 01:11 AM
First year: tandem RB situation, as the season winds down, if/when Rashard shows how good he really is or could be, I see him taking FWP's starting role come year 2. Props to Willie for coming into the league as a UDFA, but bottom line, a stud RB runs where there are no places to run and finds running room. Granted our OL sucked and didn't do much to help Willie but like I said a stud finds the holes, Willie is good but not great. I hope Rashard turns into that stud we haven't seen in a while.

ejsteeler
05-08-2008, 09:20 AM
I don't know any of you so I can't like or dislike any of you. However, I can't understand why there is so much personal attacking simply because there are disagreements. There will always be disagreements, that is the fun of a message board. Say your peace, they say their peace and so on and so forth. Attacking is fun in this text, but don't take it personal.

After all, it's the truth that shall set you free.

Sorry dude, an Obama fan doesn't get to throw the word "truth" around so fast and loose.........:lol:

TampaSteelGirl
05-08-2008, 11:06 AM

Well Bravo...bravo to you :clap::clap::clap:

And trust me you would waste your breath just for sake of argument.

Let me just shed some light on the Willie subject. Now I think Willie had a great year considering we had an Oline who sucked the big weinie! What else do you expect Willie to do when you have an Oline who consistenly doesn't make opportunities to open up a hole for our "small" RB to get thru..How is that Willie's fault entirely?
By the way the word homer went out of style years ago, perhaps you could update yourself with the new age words out there now. Educate yourself it's harmless :yellowthumb:
The thing about you ICS is that you disagree with EVERYTHING us "peeps" put on here, if we said the sky was blue you say no it's black because you want to be Lone Ranger and that reason only. Yes while everyone has their own opinion and like they say opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one of their own but you take it another direction to get a rise out of everyone. Most times I just ignore you but I must defend that fact that Willie had a great year despite an Oline who wouldn't let him function properly. Never heard you say anything to that matter, just hatin on Willie and saying a Rookie is coming in the take his place. I refuse to name call you as you do everyone, i'm out of kindergarten now..I'm a big girl now!! :yellowthumb:

Oh yea and BTW I happen to like TEEMONT!!!!

ejsteeler
05-08-2008, 12:17 PM
you go girl......:gpower:

man, I can't even pull that off in writing......:lol:

steelcitysfinestXL
05-08-2008, 08:08 PM
TSG is pretty much right on the $$$ with what she said... anyone who has anything bad to say about willie is repeating the same BS excuses. He's too small, undrafted, lack of vision, blah blah blah. But when some one puts some real truth in their face they all say the same thing... NOTHING AT ALL!!! If you just wanna make blind preditions about how our roster is gonna pan out in the next 2-3 years, then go right ahead.
Really K was the only one to make a semi decent point saying his YPC dropped off alot this past season and his TD's were down. Well we all knew he wasnt a goaline back.
ICS, if you are so hung up one "pedigree, draft status, hype and what-not" tell me why reggie bush is a below average NFL back. Tell me why LT played at TCU and not Texas like ricky williams and Ced Benson and is having a HOF career. Why Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th or what ever round. None of it matters man! Anybody saying willie deserves to be benched infavor of Mendenhall is speaking much too soon if they both have 1000 yd season this or next year and Rashard does it on 100 less carries then ill jump on this BANDWAGON... til then its parkers job to lose not Rashards job to win!

K Train
05-08-2008, 08:27 PM
its not even gonna be a job to lose type deal, they are both gonna play alot because thats whats been working in the league lately. rhodes and addai, benson and jones, barber and jones, MJD and taylor, peterson and taylor, maroney and dillion...it just works. IMO they are botha gonna have solid fantasy value this year.

Willie cant carry the full load, he cant and i dont care what anyone says, he is a runningback that is worthless when hes tired, hes no 4th quarter closer. But keep him at 12-15 touches a game and hes an allstar. i tired willie is a worthelss wille, mendy will just make him better and vice versa

Iron City South
05-08-2008, 08:52 PM
its not even gonna be a job to lose type deal, they are both gonna play alot because thats whats been working in the league lately. IMO they are botha gonna have solid fantasy value this year.

Willie cant carry the full load and i dont care what anyone says, he is a runningback that is worthless when hes tired, hes no 4th quarter closer. But keep him at 12-15 touches a game and hes an allstar.

What's funny is that this is exactly what I'm advocating as well but nobody can see beyond their anger when someone actually suggests that Mendenhall's role will be that of the feature back and Willie will be there to spell him.

Mendenhall is built for no less than 20 touches a game and Willie will be right there to get his 10 or 12. The great part about this "duel back" system is that it's a true "thunder" and "lightening" combo. Willie will get 10-12 quality touches where he comes in with fresh legs and gives Mendenhall a chance to catch his breath. :yesnod:

ejsteeler
05-08-2008, 08:59 PM
What's funny is that this is exactly what I'm advocating as well but nobody can see beyond their anger when someone actually suggests that Mendenhall's role will be that of the feature back and Willie will be there to spell him.

Mendenhall is built for no less than 20 touches a game and Willie will be right there to get his 10 or 12. The great part about this "duel back" system is that it's a true "thunder" and "lightening" combo. Willie will get 10-12 quality touches where he comes in with fresh legs and gives Mendenhall a chance to catch his breath. :yesnod:

Twisting words man.....Willie=starter, Rashad=relief....add them together=tough *** backfield!!!!!!

K Train
05-08-2008, 09:05 PM
its not even like that. who the **** cares who the starter is? julius jones started for dallas all last year, but barber was obviously the guy. i think rashard might get more carries than willie because when the 4th quarter comes around you know who is (most probably) gonna get the ball?

ejsteeler
05-08-2008, 09:16 PM
We'll just have to wait and see, but I'm betting you are wrong. :yellowthumb:

TampaSteelGirl
05-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Willie cant carry the full load, he cant and i dont care what anyone says, he is a runningback that is worthless when hes tired, hes no 4th quarter closer. But keep him at 12-15 touches a game and hes an allstar. i tired willie is a worthelss wille, mendy will just make him better and vice versa

I totally agree with what you are saying here, no Willie won't carry the full load, he can't he physically can't and I don't think anyone would dispute that. Willie didn't really have anyone worthy of working with him to help him not take on the full load himself so Rashad will be that guy. What Willie lacks in say...getting those much needed 3rd down 1 or 2 yrds for the 1st down Rashard MAY lack in the speed that Willie has. Bottom line is that they will work together, to make this a better team, I don't believe Rashad has enough experience in his rookie year to take over a Pro Bowl RBs spot. I think Rashard has alot to prove for his rookie year and I believe he'll do that with the help of Willie. Willie coming off a serious injury will be glad to have someone strong to come in and assist where desperately needed. I think it's a great pair and I think we will have a seriously successful running game this year!! :tt02:

[AutoMerged Post Below]

Twisting words man.....Willie=starter, Rashad=relief....add them together=tough *** backfield!!!!!!

AGREE 100%! :yellowthumb:

K Train
05-08-2008, 10:08 PM
i dont know about mendy lacking anything in speed, willie really isnt all that much faster than him lol. Rb is very easy to learn right away, the past has shown that runners step in right away. hes a very pro ready back the transition isnt gonna be to bad for him imo

TampaSteelGirl
05-08-2008, 10:12 PM
i dont know about mendy lacking anything in speed, willie really isnt all that much faster than him lol. Rb is very easy to learn right away, the past has shown that runners step in right away. hes a very pro ready back the transition isnt gonna be to bad for him imo

That's why I put the work MAY in caps because to be honest I don't know much about this guy. I saw some of the highlights in his college days and he does seem alot like Willie, just bigger. Wasnt' exactly sure about the speed but could definately see the bob and weeve..

steelcityrockers
05-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Willie is faster (not to put any value in tenths of a second in gym shorts but it is a 4.29 and 4.45 I think) but Mendenhall is more athletic. Mendenhall is definitely the more complete back from what I have seen anyway.

JensK
05-09-2008, 01:56 AM

Indeed! And after he broke his fibula his been a little slower aswell. Not saying that its a surprice, but fast willie isnt all that fast anymore.

I still believe willie have the starting job at least one more year.

ejsteeler
05-09-2008, 09:28 AM
WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE WILLIE
:closedtopic:

Mike Tomlin
05-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Looking at his highlights he reminds me a lot of LT. Watch some of LT's highlights and then check the ones you've seen of Mendenhall. Look how fluid they look when they make a move and accelerate, it's like they don't break a sweat. They both have deceptive speed because it hardly ever looks like LT is going to get away and he always does.

guessy
05-09-2008, 12:55 PM
AWESOME!!! A 1-2 punch like 2005? That can only help keep Parker healthy.

Preacher
05-09-2008, 04:46 PM

:bluelol:

And Bruce Arians is the cause for all that is wrong in the world. Come on.

Face it, the days of Bettis are over. This team has evolved to a balanced offense that has WILLIE as its number 1 running back.

Mendenhall will relieve him, even be on the field with him at times. Towards the end of the year, he may even start a few times to give willie a break for the playoffs (if we make it... that is a HORRENDOUS SCHEDULE). But make no mistake about it, Willie is the starter for at least another 3-4 years.

ejsteeler
05-09-2008, 05:19 PM

Face it, the days of Bettis are over. This team has evolved to a balanced offense that has WILLIE as its number 1 running back.

Mendenhall will relieve him, even be on the field with him at times. Towards the end of the year, he may even start a few times to give willie a break for the playoffs (if we make it... that is a HORRENDOUS SCHEDULE). But make no mistake about it, Willie is the starter for at least another 3-4 years.

Here, here!!!! :beer4:

Iron City South
05-09-2008, 05:33 PM
But make no mistake about it, Willie is the starter for at least another 3-4 years.

But make no mistake about it ....

:hoover:

you're on crack if you actually believe that.

:OA02:

K Train
05-10-2008, 12:20 AM
Willie is faster (not to put any value in tenths of a second in gym shorts but it is a 4.29 and 4.45 I think) but Mendenhall is more athletic. Mendenhall is definitely the more complete back from what I have seen anyway.

mendenhall ran a 4.37. parker at his absolute fastest under prime conditions ran a 4.29, but now is throwing down 4.35s. i hate 40s but the times are there and willie is not THAT much faster by any means

steelcityrockers
05-10-2008, 12:27 AM
I thought it was 4.45 at the combine?

Whatever, they are ridiculously pointless anyway.

TampaSteelGirl
05-10-2008, 09:24 PM
:beerfunnel: :DANCE04: :+1: I've said all I need to say.....

Iron City South
05-11-2008, 11:32 AM
I've said all I need to say.....

Which wasn't much ... :lol:

TEEMONT
05-11-2008, 12:06 PM

says the pot...calling the kettle black.

Iron City South
05-11-2008, 01:33 PM
says the pot...calling the kettle black.

Says the cauldron to the pot who was originally addressing the kettle.

http://www.mattsmetalworks.com/dawnielle/WITCH%20POT.jpg

Black@Gold Forever32
05-11-2008, 02:09 PM

I'm a big Willie Parker fan....But I disagree that he will be the starter for this team for the next 3-4 years.....You can't keep a talent (first round draft pick) like Rashard Mendenhall off the field for 3-4 years...True he will get his carries when he is not the starter....But his overall talent as a RB will force him to become the starter for the Steelers....Thats just the writing on the wall....Of course Mendenhall has to prove himself at the NFL level first....

Some think Rashard will start mid-season....I don't think that will happen but I think 2009 we will see Rashard Mendenhall as the starting RB for this team....Which then Willie Parker will flourish also....Even with Mendenhall spelling Parker this year will greatly help Willie.....I just see this as a great situation to be in.....Parker will still be huge for this team in a reduced role.....

Iron City South
05-11-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm a big Willie Parker fan....But I disagree that he will be the starter for this team for the next 3-4 years.....You can't keep a talent (first round draft pick) like Rashard Mendenhall off the field for 3-4 years...True he will get his carries when he is not the starter....But his overall talent as a RB will force him to become the starter for the Steelers....Thats just the writing on the wall.....

Here, Here ..... :cope:

Now here's a man who knows what's up. :yellowthumb:

TampaSteelGirl
05-11-2008, 04:52 PM

:attention:

Steel58
05-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Fast Willie is passing it on just like the bus did when he came into the system:tt02:

steelcitysfinestXL
05-15-2008, 08:10 PM
WOW, i guess we'll see... K and Rockers have been low on parker for most of this season so i expect it from them and they do have SOME good points. ICS, no offense but i really think your spoutting alout of blind opinion and onesidedness about THIS subject. I just want this season to start... regardless of who starts the one-two punch will be sick. I done arguing about who is gonna start this year, next year whenever. Willie Parker is a 2 time probowler and has tallied some good if not great numbers for us. I see no reason he doesnt stay the feature back until Mendenhall puts up better numbers with far less carries. But thats just my opinion!

Iron City South
05-15-2008, 08:55 PM
ICS, no offense but i really think your spoutting alout of blind opinion and onesidedness about THIS subject. Willie Parker is a 2 time probowler and has tallied some good if not great numbers for us. I see no reason he doesnt stay the feature back until Mendenhall puts up better numbers with far less carries. But thats just my opinion!

Wow, you too have an opinion? Guess that makes us both guilty of "spouting aloud blind opinion" then doesn't it? :lol:

I thought "opinions" are what these boards were all about? :scratch:

TEEMONT
05-16-2008, 01:08 AM
Wow, you too have an opinion? Guess that makes us both guilty of "spouting aloud blind opinion" then doesn't it? :lol:

Did you say anything with all of those words?

Iron City South
05-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Did you say anything with all of those words?

All those words? .... If a few sentences is a lot of words to you, you better stick with what you know.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1263/1396428680_cff3c5070f_o.jpg

TEEMONT
05-16-2008, 11:10 AM
Hey thats fine if you want to let pictures do your talking for you. I understand that when the meds run out, sometimes you run out of words.

steelcitysfinestXL
05-16-2008, 04:26 PM

That is what boards are about man, but my opinion wasn't just pulled out of thin air... i actually put a bit of thought and reasoning in my post!!! Maybe people dont like my way of thinking but atleast i clearly explain myself.

Iron City South
05-16-2008, 04:42 PM
That is what boards are about man, but my opinion wasn't just pulled out of thin air... i actually put a bit of thought and reasoning in my post!!! Maybe people dont like my way of thinking but atleast i clearly explain myself.

And who are you again? ...Help me out here because in the 3 pages of this thread, the only thing I can find that you contributed was some ballwashing of Teemont:

Right on TEEMONT!! :hump: ICS, i'd understand if we were the Browns w/ lewis, or Even the Jags with Jones-Drew and Taylor... but parker is in the early half of his career. What you are saying sounds nice but really has no *** behind it. Parker is playing at a probowl level and it would be a mistalke to sit him in favor of Mendenhall before willie falls off

Opinions are opinions. It's my opinion that although Parker has done well for himself in the NFL, he has more than his share of faults and limitations and doesn't come from the pedigree that Mendenhall does. Parker is better suited to compliment a "complete back". Mendenhall has already proven that he is the complete package and Parker has not .... not in college ... and certainly not in the pros. You can throw the 'pro-bowl" moniker around all you want but let's be honest, the Probowl is a popularity contest with no more credibility than the process that takes place weekly on American Idol.

Again, your opinion is that my opinion doesn't have "***" behind it and my opinion is that you don't know *** about what it takes to be a "complete" running back in the pros. So there we have it .... 2 reasonable opinions. :yellowthumb: