PDA

View Full Version : Q & A; with Limus Sweed

BlackGold4vr
05-02-2008, 12:39 AM
Limas Sweed will be in town for minicamp this weekend, but he talked to SteelCityInsider's Jim Wexell in between workouts from his home in Brenham, Texas.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/54/546993.jpg

Limas Sweed, WR, Pittsburgh Steelers
Q: Limas, whatís your hometown like?

A: You can get from one side of Brenham to the other side in less than 10 minutes. Itís a country town. A lot of horses. A lot of open land. I grew up a real country person during high school and college.

Q: Is it around Houston?

A: It's between Houston and College Station.

Q: You were a real cowboy?

A: Yeah, you got it right. When I first learned how to ride a horse, I was told not to be scared when I got on the horse because the horse would know. And I was so nervous and scared it took off running with me falling off. I was about 12.

Q: Did you get hurt?

A: Nah. I was tough. I was a tough country boy.

Q: When did you get back on?

A: About a week. It took about a week to build up that courage again. My dad said I had to get back up there and show him who was in control.

Q: Whatís your family like?

A: My family consists of four people: me, my sister, my mother and father. My motherís always been real strict. It worked on me. She said "no pass, no play" and she enforced that. Sheís probably my biggest critic, but also my biggest fan. My dad, heís a deacon so heís kind of quiet by nature, but heís a cool guy. He always competes with you whether itís sports or dominoes. Theyíre pretty cool people.

Q: Dadís a mailman?

A: Yeah, heís a mail handler also.

Q: Mom works at a prison?

A: She used to be a prison guard.

Q: She's one tough lady?

A: She used to jack me. She used to jack me up against that wall. Sheís been promoted to captain so she doesnít have to work as a prison guard now.

Q: What was greatest thrill in high school?

A: Thatís a tough one. Iím trying to think. Probably in high school it would be my senior year, the game before states. Winning that game and advancing to the state championship in high school was like no other because that was the pinnacle of my high school career.

Q: How did you do in that game?

A: I didnít really do too good. We didnít have any chances to throw the ball because the quarterback was getting sacked. We ended up losing but to be there was a good experience, playing competition like that.

Q: Whatís Texas high school football like?

A: Texas football? I think it's comparable to what itís like for Pittsburgh fans. Theyíre die-hard fans, love the players, good loyal people, just great fans. Thatís how it is with Texas fans across the board in high school football. In my hometown on Friday nights, the whole townís there. Everybody comes to the games. And homecoming games youíve got everyone there.

Q: Do you know a lot of Steelers fans there?

A: Actually I do. A lot of my relatives are Steelers fans. A few are Cowboys fans and (laughs) a few are Pittsburgh fans. It sounds funny but they came out. They talked about Lynn Swann, Franco Harris. I said, "Wow, you guys really do know what yíall talkin' about."

Q: Have you heard from them?

A: My Aunt Margaret called to wish me well. She wants a jersey.

Q: What's your number?

A: Fourteen.

Q: How difficult was your rehab?

A: I would wake up early in the morning and rehab from six to seven, then eat breakfast, then rehab from eight to nine, then workout, come back and rehab again, go home, rehab again. I'd go to sleep and do it all over again. I did that for two months.

Q: How was that different than your normal routine?

A: I was used to grabbing things with both hands and going to work. This, with my wrist hurt, was hard just because I am a hard worker and Iím used to digging in with my hands Ė hitting the weights, even pushups. Iíd be laying around my house and Iíd just start doing pushups and situps, but I couldnít do that. It was frustrating that I literally had to force my fingers to wiggle to get them to move again. There were a lot of frustrating days but I learned a lot.

Q: What could you bench before and after?

A: Before I could probably bench 355 or 360. Iím probably not there yet. Iím probably at 300 to 315. Thatís not too bad. Iíll get it back. As far as me being able to do things, I bench press, run, squat, all of that.

Q: What's your vertical jump? A: It was 37.5 at my pro day. I used to be a basketball player in high school.

Q: Have you heard the Plaxico Burress comparisons?

A: Wow. I havenít heard it yet.

Q: Plax wore No. 4 in college. Did you take No. 4 in college because of Roy Williams?

A: Not really. I was No. 4 in high school, but I always looked up to Roy. Itís one of those things where everything kind of correlated together.

Q: Is 14 a play off of 4?

A: Yeah, itís a play off of No. 4, but I kind of like those lower digits. Ever since high school Iíve liked the lower digits. Itís just a personal preference.

Q: Was your greatest thrill at Texas the national championship game?

A: That was one, and the other was the Ohio State catch.

Q: Whoíd you beat?

A: Ashton Youbouty.

Q: What was the title game like?

A: It was one of my greatest experiences so far. I mean that from a competition standpoint. I was out there with some of the premier NFL players in the game. Just being out there to play with those guys on a level like that was exciting. You could feel the electricity in the air. It was crazy.

Q: Did you make a big play?

A: I caught eight to 10 passes (8) that game, some big first downs, but I didnít score.

Q: You graduated in December?

A: Correct. My degreeís in communications with a minor in business. It could lead to various things like radio, sportscasting, dealing with the youth, or I could turn to the business side for real estate, marketing. I have a lot of options.

Q: Do you know Casey Hampton?

A: Big Hamp, oh, yeah. I hung around with Casey in Houston a few times. Big Hamp, weíre good friends. Weíre alumni. When I was in school he showed me a lot of love.

Q: What are your goals in Pittsburgh?

A: Come in and get a feel for the offense and the players. Thatís the first thing. I want to get a good chemistry with the team, which I know will happen. I just want to get in there, work hard, learn the plays and see what happens.

Q: What do you expect in playing time?

A: I couldnít tell you. Itís going to depend on how quick I pick up the system. Iíd like to come in and help the team out.

Q: Have you heard from Ben?

A: I'll probably hear from him today, or maybe when I get in there. People tell me heís excited. So am I. Heís got a great arm. Iíve seen him play several times.

Sounds like a great kid with a good upbringing and high moral character. Just the way the Rooney's like em. Guys with proper upbringings are a lot less likely to be in tomorrows newspaper getting into trouble. Can't wait to see what kind of a pro player this guy developes into! :clap:

:steelerssign:

TEEMONT
05-02-2008, 12:44 AM
I like what I hear....

Black@Gold Forever32
05-02-2008, 12:53 AM
I can't wait to see Ben being pressured and just throwing it up to Sweed...Just like Ben did with Plax in his rookie year.....I also like this kids attitude.....I'm sure Limas will be one of my favs in a few years....

Koopa
05-02-2008, 02:09 AM
well i've seen him go from dropping 3 yard passes on a consistent basis to making a huge catch against osu, to having a dominate year last year to messing up his wrist this year............. i talked a lot of **** about not wanting him, but that was because i only thought he'd be here if he was a 1st round pick, now that we have him it's awesome, and he's coming here with not that high of expectations, he can come and learn and grow, he doesn't have to be the man cause we have ward and holmes already........... hopefully he's in a steelers jersey for a very long time........... and the good thing is he finally has a good qb throwing to him......... i love vince, but he wasn't a pass first guy, and mccoy is a ****ing bum *** hoe.......... so now limas can finally play with a legit qb

SteelersWoman
05-02-2008, 06:50 AM
Sounds like a kid with a good head on his shoulders--I believe he'll make an impact pretty quickly.

kgreen
05-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Nice he has my number.:tt02:

steelersgal86
05-02-2008, 07:55 AM
very nice:yellowthumb:

Steel58
05-02-2008, 08:11 AM
I like the kids attitude and I can't wait to see him play..:cope::tt02:

Layin the wood
05-02-2008, 08:41 AM
The catch he made against Ohio State was nice i have to give him credit for that!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
05-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Damn, his mom works in a prison so you know he didn't get away with anything in that household. He sounds like he's definitely right in line with the kind of players the Rooney's want. If this kid stays healthy he's got the potential to be just killer for us.

memphissteelergirl
05-02-2008, 09:15 AM
I'm likin' this kid already. :yellowthumb:

ejsteeler
05-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Sounds like a well grounded kid. Hopefully the big time won't ruin him. Looking forward to preseason for a change. :tt02:

Stlrs4Life
05-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Good read, like the attitude.

DIESELMAN
05-03-2008, 04:04 AM
Good read, like the attitude.
:ditto: